Does anyone have a loud PS4?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

My ps4 isn't very loud at all, but I saw some on youtube of VERY loud ps4s. I just hope it won't be plagued by console failures because theres so much power running through a small space plus the power unit being built in.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Everyone' definition of loud may be different. I can hear mine when the game has been running for a bit. It's not typical PC loud but it's not what I would consider quiet. I consider quiet to be a Macbook Pro that's not too hot.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

I consider the PS4 extremely loud. It is the loudest electronic I currently own.

• My PC is really quiet.
  • My Xbox One I can't even hear at all.
  • My Wii U is quiet too. Only thing I might hear is the disc drive when the game is loading.
  • My PS4? Sounds like jet when gaming in comparison.
raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I can hear mine 10 ft away, purty dang loud if you compare it to my X360, PS3 and Wii, but not as loud as my PS2 fat. Still, not happy with that fan noise from a new gen console.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

It's loud when it boots up then calms down. Not annoyingly loud by any stretch unless you're playing games with the sound turned off to sort of deliberately annoy yourself more (I'm not quite sure why you'd do that). X1 is definitely quieter though.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MikeHockbourns

@ShadowDeathX said:

I consider the PS4 extremely loud. It is the loudest electronic I currently own.

• My PC is really quiet.
  • My Xbox One I can't even hear at all.
  • My Wii U is quiet too. Only thing I might hear is the disc drive when the game is loading.
  • My PS4? Sounds like jet when gaming in comparison.

hmm thats not good, mine gets a little bit louder when a disc is running but not really that loud at all. I would say its like a ps3 slim.

@raugutcon said:

I can hear mine 10 ft away, purty dang loud if you compare it to my X360, PS3 and Wii, but not as loud as my PS2 fat. Still, not happy with that fan noise from a new gen console.

send it in, its not supposed to be that loud.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShadowDeathX

The PS4 does get that loud. That is trade off of having a small console with the specs it has. The fan's RPM is mad high to blow out the hot air from that small enclosure.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikeHockbourns

@ShadowDeathX said:

The PS4 does get that loud. That is trade off of having a small console with the specs it has. The fan's RPM is mad high to blow out the hot air from that small enclosure.

knock on wood but mine doesn't get loud at all. I can hear an increase in the fans but only slightly. Not really noticeable.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShadowDeathX

You have to take into consideration the ambient temperature too. I live in Florida, where our winters consist of us maybe, having to wear long sleeve shirts. XD

It felt like a beautiful beach day today and the day before.

Still, all my other platforms are whisper quiet on load compared to my PS4.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

i have swapped the hdd with an ssd before turning the ps4 on for the first time and i only buy digital games, so the only noise i am hearing is the fan that kicks in form time to time, which is not loud at all, well, watching blu-rays shows how loud the mechanical mediums can be... :)

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts

@mikehockbourns: my launch PS4 slowly became extremely loud during gameplay, like almost hairdryer loud. Since it's now out of warranty, a few days ago I decided to take it apart to see if I could clean it out. There was a substantial amount of dust on the blades of the fan. I cleaned off the dust, plugged the console back in, and played some Farcry4. After cleaning, the fan noise was noticeably reduced. Since I had the machine apart, I performed a complete teardown on it, and replaced the thermal compound on the GPU with Arctic MX-4. Now, my PS4 is virtually silent, the fan comes on much less frequently, and when the fan does come on, I can barely hear it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

It's the second loudest console I've owned (after my 60gb PS3 phat), but I would not consider it loud at all in an absolute sense. And it's only loud under heavy load. Rarely does my fan ramp out to be more than audible beyond a few feet away. So, relatively loud I guess?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I have noticed my 360 when it scans discs, but that was years ago and I got used to it. My 7.1 surround sound with Def Tech tower speakers probably disguises a lot of sounds these consoles make because I don't hear much of anything.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

Mine was pretty loud when I owned one... Definitely one of the louder consoles I've owned.

xCaZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xCaZx
Member since 2015 • 82 Posts

@mikehockbourns said:

My ps4 isn't very loud at all, but I saw some on youtube of VERY loud ps4s. I just hope it won't be plagued by console failures because theres so much power running through a small space plus the power unit being built in.

I guess it all depends on what your definition of loud is because it can differ from person to person. It also depends on what you are personally used to, especially when compared to say a PC.

In my opinion, the PS4 is not loud, I can hear the fan run while gaming, but it isn't distracting or annoyingly loud by any means. My computer is considerably louder with the case fans and what not running while I am gaming.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

You have to remember that PS4's aren't made in the same place or with the exact same parts so it all depends on which make and model it is. it's just due to that particular model which makes it loud, nothing really wrong unless really loud to a grinding noise

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#17 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Comparatively, it's much more quiet than my PS3. The fans pick up at times, but I generally don't even hear them over my games.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25930 Posts

It can get loud. Sometimes it gets quieter when a game is paused then louder when unpaused. It all seems to depend on the game.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

Just to follow-up I was playing DA:I for ~3 hours on Saturday sitting about 4 feet from my TV and I honestly couldn't hear it unless I muted the game. At other times I have heard the distinct whir of the fans following some heavy action. But all in all, it's definitely quieter than my PC and unobtrusive

supergokublitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 supergokublitz
Member since 2005 • 651 Posts

It's noisy but not as noisy as the 360. Xbone is much quieter.

It's nothing that bothers me put it that way.

Avatar image for deactivated-58270bc086e0d
deactivated-58270bc086e0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

#21 deactivated-58270bc086e0d
Member since 2006 • 2317 Posts

@mikehockbourns: Well mine was louder than I was expecting it to be. Definitely comes from the disk drive though because it starts when the console starts and goes off after a short time. I'm hoping it isn't a problem such as the disk drive being out of balance or something because my console's life is limited if it is.

No where near as loud as my Xbox 360 though. Fired the old girl up yesterday and I can't believe I sat through that din for so many years.

Also it doesn't appear to be the base out of line problem people had where one of the rubber feet was causing a vibration on the console because it doesn't go away when you press on the corners. So mine is definitely internal.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

@supergokublitz: i have changed the hdd with an ssd on my ps4, however since i couldn't do it on my xbone, the ps4 is quieter... :D

trey85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 trey85
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

I had the same problem the fan just started making a lot of noise out of know were. simple, open the bottom case you will be able to see the fan clean it , I used earbuds and make sure you clean filters you can just barely see them behind the fan(very important) . finish by blowing off the dirt or use blow dryer.

if you worried about opening your ps4 just look up how to open ps4. its simple just 4 screws done.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

please don't bump old threads like this. Locking