Do you guys finish a game before you buy a new one?

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

Guys I have bought a lot of games for my PS4, but cant seem to be able to just sit down and finish any of them. I have KZSF, Knack, Infamous Second Son, Thief and some others. I don't know if it is a attention thing or a busy life thing, but a lot of the time I would rather just sit down and play a few rounds of CoD Ghosts rather than delving into a story driven game. What do you guys to focus and finish a game?

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No I play 2 games at the same time.

dipdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By dipdish
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

Not necessarily. The game must mean something to me in order to get me finish it actually. Like Red Dead Redemption or Far Cry 3. I won't waste my time with something I don't like enough.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS: Lately I've developed a nasty habit of starting tons of games, both new and old, and just never finishing them. It's quite embarrassing. Here's a list of the games I've started but have yet to finish:

• Skyrim
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • Kingdoms of Amalur
  • Dark Souls
  • InFamous: SS (not had much time on it though)
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall
  • Knack
  • MGS4
  • Portal 2
  • Tearaway
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • Dead Island: Riptide

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more. I think I's normally due to time constraints. I just can't pump 80 hours + into many games so tend to just finish ones which have 20 hour campaigns. I generally hit around the 4 hour mark in most games and my interest just starts to wane. I also still have unopened copies of Batman: Arkham Origins, AC: Black Flag plus Burial at Sea (1 & 2) and TLOU: Left Behind to start as well. I really do need more time in my life to game.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I try to finish about 2 games a month, and I usually buy about 2 games (sometimes more if I like the ps plus games)

So it's a never ending battle. Also I play a lot of battlefield 4 online and Fifa 14 so that takes up a chunk of my gaming time.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Nope. I buy games as I see fit. I've been trying to hold off on some purchases though so I can finish some games, but if I want them I'll buy them.

hellangel_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 hellangel_boy
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts

@yokofox33 said:

Nope. I buy games as I see fit. I've been trying to hold off on some purchases though so I can finish some games, but if I want them I'll buy them.

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

I think you like the idea of gathering/collecting games more than you actually like playing thru them. It's called "hoarding" perhaps you've heard of it? It's a socio-consumer phenomenon in which people manifest their anxiety and self-perceived inadequacies in the form of collecting or buying "things" from their choice of interest. You can't help yourself, really. Services like PlayStation Plus and Steam marketplace are laughing all the way to the bank because of this problem. I can't tell you how many people I know that have hundreds of Steam games they've bought on the cheap that they've never touched or will never touch strictly because they saw the price and couldn't help themselves.

Do not confuse this behavior with a lack of an attention span as it has nothing to do with that. You need to recognize that you don't need to have all the games you can get your hands on. Once you step back and recognize the issue then you can start to determine just which type of game it is you actually like playing and then just stick with that. Gaming sites and magazines and forums and such will constantly bombard you with "this game is amazing, you have to play __________!" But all you're really left with is backlog shame. Trust me I've been there. I decided to pear back my game buying habits and things are much better as I no longer get that, "that cool game is just sitting in the store/online waiting for me to buy it" itch. It won't happen overnight but you really should start to examine why it is you're buying more games than you can actually play. Coming here and starting this post was a good step in the right direction. Good luck to you!

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

Nope... I try not buy stuff but when it's on sale for a good price and I know I'll be buying it soon. I go ahead and pick it up.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Just depends what mood I'm in, I mean I have Infamous to play and I had a whole night free and instead of carrying on with that game I turned on Fifa and played a few games and then played abit of Infamous, It comes down to the mood I'm in to be fair, but I do normally have 1 game on the go and another game on the side.

Puggy301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Puggy301
Member since 2003 • 202 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS:

I made that mistake with my PS3, resulting in there being 6 games that I started but hadn't finished when I bought my PS4. For this gen, I will make a concerted effort to complete each game before moving on to the next one.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts

I usually finish a game before getting another or at least before playing another. But I'm not that into multiplayer or FPS games, so I am not drawn to play CoD or battlefield or anything like that.

Skyz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Skyz_
Member since 2014 • 56 Posts

I used to when I was younger and had more time, but not so much now. My backlog of games is getting bigger :( trying not to impulse buy as much now.

commandokock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 commandokock
Member since 2009 • 502 Posts

games that i want usually come out few and far between so im usually done with one game before the next one i want comes out. but if there were two games i wanted both coming out at the same time id buy them both together

The_Merc98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Merc98
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

What I do being a unemployed high school student, is that I plan out what games I will definitely buy and then gain as much cash I can get to spend it on them.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

i usually have a go to online mp fps game (mainly cod due to my friends playing it all the time) while trying to finish the campaign on another game, but i do not play two separate game's campaigns at the same time... however i do buy games while i am playing another one and start playing them whenever i finish the campaign i am playing at that moment... :)

kreative666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kreative666
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Most of the time, unless it's really bad. I want to get the most out of a game, if I leave it unfinished it feels like it's wasted.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Nope! I have developed a bad habbit of buying games for my ps3 since i got it

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#19 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

No, I will buy a new game prior to finishing an old one. I have no problem having a few games in the que at once. If it gets to be too much (darn you PS+) I will work to at least finish a few games prior to starting new ones. I might save the clean up for months or even a year or more. But if I liked the game enough I will probably come back to it. I'm a completionist and I don't like to see that trophy percent sitting super low, it's irritating.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

No, but this gen I've made an oath to at least try. I try to finish a game before buying another one and so far I've been successful.

RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 RiKanKiDD
Member since 2007 • 1059 Posts

Im a College student full time and work part time but i always manage to finish my games. I don't like leaving games unfinished. And I dont keep backlogs.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#22 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I haven't had to buy a game due to having nothing else to play in a long time. I always have something to play, and I generally finish up or find a good stopping point on the current game I'm playing. Buying a game means pushing others back, or taking a while to get to it. I'm one to finish the vast majority of games I touch and tend to focus on game at a time.

jaenjaes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jaenjaes
Member since 2014 • 30 Posts

I try to play through one game at a time whenever I'm really interested in the title. Currently, I have a handful of incomplete games in my backlog (including some games I do not even own anymore) that I honestly need to get back to and finish if I get the opportunity. Story-driven games I usually play through twice, one for the story then second for the side-quests, missions or collectables. Right now, I haven't purchased any new games because nothing really interests me at the moment but something will come eventually or I'll migrate to the next-generation.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

No I don't always finish a videogame before I buy another one. Sometimes I do. But often there is a sale. Or a deal of some kind that I cannot pass up. For Playstation 4 I have 11 disc based retail games. Knack,Battlefield 4,Killzone Shadow Fall,Need for speed Rivals,Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag, Call of Duty ghosts,Injustice Ultimate Edition,Pinball arcade,Metal Gear 5, Ground zeros,Putty,Squad,and Infamous second son.

So that is it for the Launch and launch window. Plus all of the Playstation plus montly free rental games offered on the PS4. And all the free to play Throw in games on PS4. The only digital game I have bought thus far is Sound Shapes for Playstation 4. Just because it is Sound shapes. That was the game I bought with my PSN store credit that came with the PS4 console. Plus the amount I had left over.

So I bought 12 games since launch and all of the free games for my Playstation 4.

I just like having a variety of games to play. I have only finished 5 of them. So I buy new games whenever

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

some times i finhsh games before a buy next

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

@withe1982: sounds like me lol. I actually HATE that I do this, I wish I completed a lot more games that I started. Plus I have a lot of unopened games that I know I'm probably not going to go back to. I've tried to force myself to play 1 or 2 games at a time before, but it never works out. Just don't have the time anymore. I've been telling myself that when I retire I'll go back to them to finish them but I have a really long time till that happens...

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Nope. I never got that whole "hoarder" mentality so many gamers of late have. I'm compelled to finish a game before moving on.

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Carl_W21
Member since 2004 • 2021 Posts

My situation is, I have a lot of games to finish, I have more games I want to try, I have no time :( yet !