DNS Error how to fix?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for game_of_da_year
game_of_da_year

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 game_of_da_year
Member since 2004 • 333 Posts
When i connect to the internet it tells me that it has a DNS error
nikos11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 nikos11
Member since 2005 • 948 Posts

probably you internet is down,do you have internet on your PC?

game_of_da_year

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 game_of_da_year
yes i have internet on my computer... can i connect the ethernet cable to my laptop to my ps3 and automaticly connect?
LtColJaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 LtColJaxson
Member since 2005 • 3233 Posts

yes i have internet on my computer... can i connect the ethernet cable to my laptop to my ps3 and automaticly connect?game_of_da_year

Unplug your power to your router and modem for 1-2 minutes, then plug it back in again. It should work.

You can't use your computer as a router.

game_of_da_year

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 game_of_da_year

Did that multiple times probobly do that about 5 times a day usually and it stilll says the same thing DNS error

@#$@%# internet

LtColJaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LtColJaxson
Member since 2005 • 3233 Posts

Did that multiple times probobly do that about 5 times a day usually and it stilll says the same thing DNS error

@#$@%# internet

game_of_da_year

Try going from Wall>Modem>PS3

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

@#$@%# internet

game_of_da_year
Did you manually set up the IP address for your PS3 or did you chose auto? I was trying to set up dedicated IP for the PS3 last night but input the wrong number and it kept telling my "DNS error". I just said screw it for now and chose automatic obtain IP.
Draker696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Draker696
Member since 2004 • 764 Posts
I have the exact same problem.
I tried shutting down the modem multiple times and choosing diferent settings on the ps3 but it didn't work.
=(

But i never tried putting an ip manually

Btw do i have to input manually my net details (password and stuff) for it to work? because i did that and it didn't even pass the ip test T_T

help meh plox
huskerman34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 huskerman34
Member since 2006 • 346 Posts
i have the same problem. IM not using no router i used wi -fi and had no problem until yesterday i tried to move my ps3 and still i cant get online. I get a strong signal from linksys. Abel to play games and watch anime on fansub site. Now i cant even get on any suggestions?
yourway2cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 yourway2cool
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Yea SOMEONE help....dude this is so annoying...Im plugged in directly from the PS3 to the modem....it was working fine for months..then all of a sudden june 1st it said DNS error...

i tired automatically searching, inputting ip and dns manually nothing, i tired using my router, i reset the modem sit nothig, shut it off unplugged everything, flushed dns on comp....nothing...is there something im missing?....the modem won't even work on my roomates ps3...but it does work in my pc....

Any dudes smarter than me out there that can help or see what im not seeing?

hilltops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hilltops
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts
have you tried doing an internet connection test?

if you do an internet connect test and
when it does the PSN test and if it says
succeeded then just exit the test and
sign in..if that doesnt work im not to sure
hope that helps..and good luck
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
.....nothing works then. Call your internet service. they might need your modem MAC number. ....Good luck.
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts

if your computer has 2 network cards +windows xp, you can use it as a router if you know what your doing.

that is how i have mine setup, and i do get the dns error once in a while.

im convinced this error is with your internet service provider to some extent. See without a ps3 hooked up at all, if i switch my internet connection from network card to the secondary one my internet goes out. the way i understand it is everytime you switch network cards it has to reregistery with your ISP.

So for this i would just disconnect my modem from everything, restart computer and then reconnect.

So i think to some extent this is a problem with the ps3 connected. ISP's do not like it when multi computers are connected either, i think alot of problems are caused.

over all after i connect my ps3, the connection "just works" when it wants to. after it finally connects its good until i disconnect it from the wall. I have best results when manuely configuering computer and ps3 network settings.

ludacriss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ludacriss
Member since 2005 • 1150 Posts

When i connect to the internet it tells me that it has a DNS error game_of_da_year

Try setting the dns manually to 208.67.222.222 and the second to 208.67.220.220

Mlaff33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mlaff33
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
alright so i have a wired router with the internet cable plugged directly into it then another cord running from the router to the modem which gives my computer internet and i have the ethernet cable plugged into the same router from the ps3 an i manually typed in all the stuff tried everything it only says that i have succeeded in getting an IP adress but fails with an internet connection with a DNS error (80710102) what should i do?????????????????????
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

try rebooting your router, or turning it off then on

that should get a result i think.

Mlaff33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mlaff33

ya it still says the same thing idk why

JZ7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JZ7
The same exact thing has been happening to me. My PS3 worked fine for the first 3 months that I had it then I all of a sudden started getting the DNS error. I've tried pretty much everthing. I don't know what to do! Someone please help me.
fattymcnair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fattymcnair

I too had this error for ages. none of the resets worked etc. FINALLY i was able to work out what to do. Turning off the router/modem etc does not flush all the old settings out so the router just reverts back to what it was doing. I had to perform a hard reset and, depending on your router, the way to do it is to find the reset button (mine was recessed and I had to use a pen or paperclip) and hold it in for more than a minute. Just to be sure I held it in for a minute with the power on, then turned the power off (still holding it in) and turned the power back on and then released the button. My network then found the router as if it was a totally new part of the network and I could get my PS3 to automatically find it and use auto settings.

It worked for me, now I have my PS3, PSP, laptop and everything running smooth...

I hope that helped.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts
Go to your network settings in your PS3 and disable your Media Server Connection. It seems to have a conflict with many Netgear and Linksys routers when connected wirelessly.
JZ7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JZ7
already tried both those things and neither of them worked.
ifixedit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ifixedit
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Hey guys anyone who has the DNS error just do what FATTYMCNAIR said on page 1. I created an account on here just to tell you guys it really works. I have been trying for like 5 months to get this crap to work and it finally worked after doing what FATTYMCNAIR said. Follow the instructions exactly and you should get it to work. While doing it your computer should be on and if your successful your computer should show the brand of your router that its connecting to, for ex: (Linksys) instead of whatever name you changed your network to, because it recognizes it as a new network. After that just go to network setup on your playstation 3 and setup the connection, don't go to test connection. Then everything should be SCAN and automatic. Your playstation 3 should automatically be connected and you probably need a system update so go do that. I'm updating my playstation 3 as I'm writing this, good luck!!

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
When i connect to the internet it tells me that it has a DNS error game_of_da_year
have u tried flushing the DNS cache? this usually resolves any DNS errors just open up command prompt (run as administrator if u r using Vista) then type ipconfig /flushdns
dan_gerous87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dan_gerous87
Member since 2007 • 785 Posts

Go to your network settings in your PS3 and disable your Media Server Connection. It seems to have a conflict with many Netgear and Linksys routers when connected wirelessly.joseph_mach

this is how I fixed mine

sstevo014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sstevo014
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

This works, don't pay attention to anything else

Avatar image for forzafootball77
forzafootball77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 forzafootball77
Member since 2008 • 499 Posts

[QUOTE="game_of_da_year"]When i connect to the internet it tells me that it has a DNS error ludacriss

Try setting the dns manually to 208.67.222.222 and the second to 208.67.220.220

guys do this 2 weeks ago i was getting the same error searched the internet and this works go to network settings select custom den wen u reach dns enter manually and type the numbers above hope dis helps you too
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
I had these issues along with not being able to connect useing a NAT2 connection for a long time (about 2 years of the NAT problem) and found this forum that was loaded with very useful information. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/610541 It may take reading through several pages of problems and solutions to these problems. The forum is mostly IT techs helping each other.
jkocher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 jkocher
Member since 2002 • 203 Posts

Your ISP (internet service provider) lets you use their DNS (domain name service) for your network. When a device on your network makes a request for a web address, a DNS looks up the URL and provides the numeric IP address for the server hosting that URL, so that you can connect to it.

Your network router uses your ISP's DNS by default, but you can tell it to use another one. I was having problems with DNS errors while using Time-Warner recently, so I set my router to use OpenDNS. It's a free service, you can sign up for a free account, but I think that you can just put the IP address of their DNS into your router without ever creating an account. Accounts are for people who want to use advanced features.

Open the webpage that controls your router's settings. If you can't find the address in your router's manual, search the web for your make and model along with "configure" and you'll find the address to type into your browser. Navigate to the router's DNS settings, and put any of these two numbers in (I think there should only be space for two of them):

Save the changes (choose OK or apply) and then run the connection test on your PS3.

i-am-the-one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 i-am-the-one
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
PLZ I NEED HELP I BEEN HAVING THIS PROBLEM FOR LIKE 2 MONTHS ALREADY I ONLY HAVE A WEBSTAR MODEM AND EVRYTHING THAT I TRY SEEMS TO NOT WORK PLZ! I WANT 2 KIK SOME A** ONLINE ALREADY BUT I FIRST I HAD IT ON WIRE LESS THEN THE DNS ERROR STRUCK I WAS USING NETGEAR AS MY SSID BUT THEN SUDDENLY IT DISAPEAAR SO THEN I DECIDED 2 BUY AN ETHERNET CABLE BUT WEN I PLUGGED IT IN IT STILL DIDNT WANT 2 GO ONLINE PLZ HELP!