Did you enjoy Ni no Kuni

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by enz2 (1689 posts) -
I'm 12+ hrs into the game and I'm struggling to stay keen on the game. Kind of a shock really, as Im fond of level 5 games... dark cloud, rogue galaxy, dragon quest viii and white knight chronicles all awesome games. But this game really surprises me of my lack of interest. Why did this game get so much hype anyway? Whereas the other level 5 games are all underrated and to me are like hidden gems. Still have mixed thoughts on it, but definitely overrated I'd say. I think it's the combat and ai uselessness that's ruining the experience for me. Fans of level 5... How'd you find ni no kuni compared to the previous level 5 games?
#3 Posted by yokofox33 (29183 posts) -

Ni No Kuni is the best game I've played in a long time.

#4 Posted by sukraj (21797 posts) -

yes

#5 Posted by voljin1987 (682 posts) -
I would say stick with it for a while.. u get a bit more control over the ai a while later (one button press for them all to defend or attack) making them defend crucial attacks easier... and the game takes a while to open up the world (atleast 20 hrs) after which it becomes much more interesting
#6 Posted by Lost-to-Apathy (372 posts) -

After I read about all the frustrations that can be found in the game, I decided to give it a pass. I'm not a big fan of hair pulling moments in video games anymore. I prefer RPGs like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IX, which are mostly easy. Why there are no more RPGs like those two is beyond me. What we have now is just a bunch of wanabe anime shows that people call RPGs.

#7 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

I was interested, but then I heard one too many comparisons to Pokemon. Not a fan of that sort.

#8 Posted by Zero_resistance (232 posts) -

Kind of.  Not the greatest RPG I've ever played.

#9 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

i liked it, but not in the ways i expected. i almost never enjoy the stories in JRPG's, but ni no kuni's was actually pretty good. i had seen clips of overworld travel and immediately thought of the 16-bit JRPG's. however, handholding and a general lack of things to find hold it back (it opens up later on, but never reaches dragon quest viii or something like that). even with that, the guide character and a surprising amount of great puzzles that tie into the lore (another surprising feature in a JRPG) combine for solid pacing with the "okay" combat. even the combat has a nice moral justification so as to not throw off the tone of the story.

it's one of those games where not all of the pieces are cooked up quite as well as i might hope, but they're tied together so well that i can't help but appreciate the overall vision.

#10 Posted by nightshade869 (3457 posts) -
I think I am about 3/4 of the way through it and love it. Very long, but great game.
#11 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

Enjoying it

#12 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3645 posts) -

My wife and I both have a save file and we are having a blast. This game is the first game I have played in a long LONG time that feels anywhere close to the level that RPG's used to be. The only thing that could make it better is if it were completely turn based. However, I will definately be buying any further installments in this franchise if they choose to keep going with it. They would be midnight releases for me, that's for sure.

#13 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (558 posts) -

I think very few people who played this game didn't love it. I personally consider it my #3 this gen after Dark Souls and RDR. And if you're not hooked by 12 hours in, I'd say it's just not your game.

#14 Posted by enz2 (1689 posts) -
I might give it a few more hrs and see if I change my thoughts on it. It's sucks though, it's one of those jprgs that I love, with the overworld, music, adventure... But I'm just not getting sunk into it unfortunately.
#15 Posted by GeneralMufinMan (368 posts) -

nope, I haven't liked JRPG's in a long time, was hoping this one would turn the tide, but sadly not. Got about 8 hours in and couldn't force myself any further.

#16 Posted by Yangire (8787 posts) -

I like Level 5 a lot, but after playing for a few hours I returned it. The gameplay was just too boring.

#17 Posted by DealRogers (4567 posts) -

I just finished it and DQVIII was much much better. I think Ni No Kuni had the potential to be a massive and deep game, but it just felt kind of incomplete in many aspects.  

#18 Posted by Solid_Link22 (5591 posts) -

Yup. I enjoyed Ni No Kuni :)

#19 Posted by Geminon (1095 posts) -
enjoyed the gameplay, the world, the true old school RPG mechanics.... but ended up hating the characters, and the story was kind of meh. worthwhile game though if only for the nostalgia.
#20 Posted by HipHopBeats (2861 posts) -

Ended up trading it in. I usually enjoy JRPG's despite my prefernce for real time combat. However, Ni No Kuni's slow moving story, zooming and panning of the wozard's boo, the constant hand holding and the whole 'gotta catch em all' pokemon vibe quickly became a snooze fest for me.

#21 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

Best new release I've played for a while. We need more games like it. The art direction is incredibly good and Level 5 sure does know how to make great games. The battle system is very intuitive and original. The atmosphere of the game is incredible. I love the music.

#22 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

I was interested, but then I heard one too many comparisons to Pokemon. Not a fan of that sort.

shellcase86

The game doesn't feel anything like Pokemon though. People only make the comparison because you have other monsters fight for you. (And you can choose to fight yourself sometimes.) It's really nothing like Pokemon.

#23 Posted by XeroEX (495 posts) -

I'm currently 30+ hours into the game, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. The story is bland, but the game makes up for it with its fun gameplay, beautiful soundtrack, and gorgeous visuals! I also appreciate how it stays true to the old school RPG roots.

#24 Posted by enz2 (1689 posts) -
Well, it turned out I got addicted to the game and got the platinum. I think once I had control of my characters to defend/attack, and understanding how the monsters worked... become a whole new game.
#25 Posted by Bigboi500 (29053 posts) -

I plat'd the game and enjoyed it, but it wasn't anywhere as good as Dragon Quest VIII.

#26 Posted by mattamomo (879 posts) -

I Have recently sold my PS3 as i lost interest, but I heard of this and its reviews so it peaked my interest, after a bit of research it looked like a complete dud to me. Its not that i think it would be bad its just the style is not for me.

#27 Posted by DJ_Lae (42748 posts) -
I didn't really care for it, which is weird as I generally like JRPGs and the PS3 is pretty starved for them. I enjoy the art style and the overall feel of the game, but unfortunately after it blows its load in the first two hours (in terms of voice acting, animated cutscenes, and story) it becomes a very typical, very generic JRPG. Voice acting almost disappears, the story moves along at a glacial pace, and it does its best to keep you from continuing on. The battle system, which can make or break a game like this, is awful. In a way it reminds me of Final Fantasy XIII where almost everything is automated and you just issues commands periodically depending on what enemy you're fighting, if you need healing, etc. You can physically move your character or creature around, but most of the time that's pointless, and the AI that eventually accompanies you is moronic at best. And there are a lot of battles, so there's a lot of crap to wade through, and ultimately the only thing that made me want to continue was the look of the game and the tease of more Ghibli-animated bits. And that's sad.
#28 Posted by glitch2424 (897 posts) -

I'm 12+ hrs into the game and I'm struggling to stay keen on the game. Kind of a shock really, as Im fond of level 5 games... dark cloud, rogue galaxy, dragon quest viii and white knight chronicles all awesome games. But this game really surprises me of my lack of interest. Why did this game get so much hype anyway? Whereas the other level 5 games are all underrated and to me are like hidden gems. Still have mixed thoughts on it, but definitely overrated I'd say. I think it's the combat and ai uselessness that's ruining the experience for me. Fans of level 5... How'd you find ni no kuni compared to the previous level 5 games?enz2

THANKYOU - finally, someone that gets it.

I agree with all of the points you gave above. This is definitely a SLIGHTLY overrated game (my HIGHEST score I would give it is an 8.5, and that's being a bit generous).

It seems like people were just starved for a good JRPG, and they just took and gave praise to whatever game that was visually-well executed (yet not engaging) and that fit the bill of "RPG-made-in-Japan". Do yourself a favour folks, and play  DQ8 or Xenoblade chronicles, which are JRPGs that are more engaging and have superior gameplay to NNK. Just a suggestion, before anyone else labels NNK their "GOTY" or "Best game this gen", which happened alot to MGS4 when it came out ironically -_-"

#29 Posted by 0diN_7 (1036 posts) -
For me, Ni No Kuni is the best game I've played in a very long time. It doesn't have a pokemon vibe. The use of familiars is comparable to a point but its not the same. If you don't like it then you just don't like it. I couldn't stop playing it.
#30 Posted by 0diN_7 (1036 posts) -

[QUOTE="enz2"]I'm 12+ hrs into the game and I'm struggling to stay keen on the game. Kind of a shock really, as Im fond of level 5 games... dark cloud, rogue galaxy, dragon quest viii and white knight chronicles all awesome games. But this game really surprises me of my lack of interest. Why did this game get so much hype anyway? Whereas the other level 5 games are all underrated and to me are like hidden gems. Still have mixed thoughts on it, but definitely overrated I'd say. I think it's the combat and ai uselessness that's ruining the experience for me. Fans of level 5... How'd you find ni no kuni compared to the previous level 5 games?glitch2424

I agree with all of the points you gave above. This is definitely a SLIGHTLY overrated game (my HIGHEST score I would give it is an 8.5, and that's being a bit generous).

It seems like people were just starved for a good JRPG, and they just took and gave praise to whatever game that was visually-well executed (yet not engaging) and that fit the bill of "RPG-made-in-Japan". Do yourself a favour folks, and play  DQ8 or Xenoblade chronicles, which are JRPGs that are more engaging and have superior gameplay to NNK. Just a suggestion, before anyone else labels NNK their "GOTY" or "Best game this gen", which happened alot to MGS4 when it came out ironically -_-"

It's really a matter of opinion. Don't talk like there's some concealed truth here. I loved xenoblade and dq8 but I like ni no kuni better.
#31 Posted by glitch2424 (897 posts) -

[QUOTE="glitch2424"]

[QUOTE="enz2"]I'm 12+ hrs into the game and I'm struggling to stay keen on the game. Kind of a shock really, as Im fond of level 5 games... dark cloud, rogue galaxy, dragon quest viii and white knight chronicles all awesome games. But this game really surprises me of my lack of interest. Why did this game get so much hype anyway? Whereas the other level 5 games are all underrated and to me are like hidden gems. Still have mixed thoughts on it, but definitely overrated I'd say. I think it's the combat and ai uselessness that's ruining the experience for me. Fans of level 5... How'd you find ni no kuni compared to the previous level 5 games?0diN_7

It's really a matter of opinion. Don't talk like there's some concealed truth here. I loved xenoblade and dq8 but I like ni no kuni better.

Not really any concealed truth. I'm extremely objective and analytic when it comes to playing games (as an amateur game designer/2d animator myself). I can instantly see thru visuals, and I think most people just fell in love with the look of NNK. Compare NNK to FF13, and there is little difference to the battle system in terms of what you are inputting as buttons and repetitiveness (for example, to attack, you're pressing one button while the familiar does everything for you - and occasionally using that familiar's block/evade/defend ability and switching in other familiars  - how is this any different from automatically lining up attacks with one button input in FF13 and switching out paradigms? OK, it's a bit different (NNK has a lot more choices in terms of player options, like the above abilities mentioned), but you can see where I'm going here. The fact that most people didn't fall in love with the demo of NNK, but fell in love with the full version, tells me the story/setting/visual style drew players in, and not the gameplay.

#32 Posted by CTR360 (6923 posts) -
i enjoyed ni no kuni got about 15 hours right now
#33 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

Not really. The story and characters are pretty much crap. There's tons of plot holes and characters have no depth at all. The battles are a messy clusterf***at best and most of the time you spend trying to babysit the idiot party AI. The music is loud and weirdly inappropriate most of the time.

I would say stick with it for a while.. u get a bit more control over the ai a while later (one button press for them all to defend or attack) making them defend crucial attacks easier...voljin1987

This is untrue since the AI never f***ing listens. Not once did I ever see the AI defend when I told them to defend.

#34 Posted by Ovirew (6268 posts) -

I'm glad to hear that the OP stuck with it and ended up enjoying the game.  I still need to pick up a copy of Ni No Kuni at some point, but some older games are still taking priority over it.

It seems like a really good game though, one that I could really get into, so I might have to hold off on getting some other games in favor of it soon.  I like the art direction and the warm, Ghibli feel that the game has.  I felt like I couldn't really get a good grasp of what the game is like during the brief demos, though.

#35 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8690 posts) -

I've probably only logged in 10 hours and seem to be experiencing the same lack of interest in the game. I just feel like the battle system is a bit chaotic and I've always been against AI partners in RPGs.

#36 Posted by Renzokucant (3123 posts) -
I'm 8 hours in, and is not as sad as I thought it would be... I wanted a really sad sooner experience. Can anyone confirm no all pillars of it gets more emotional later on?
#37 Posted by RollinKaos (69 posts) -
I think the graphics and story line are great. I finally got the combat system so that doesnt bother me either. I am just trudging through all the dialog and reading. I really wish it would move faster . I still play it but have moved on to other games to fill the "gaming experience" that Ni No Kuni seems to be lacking for me .
#38 Posted by Bubble_Man (3090 posts) -

It was the most enjoyable JRPG I've played in years. I didn't regret getting it for a single second.

#39 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3645 posts) -

[QUOTE="glitch2424"]

[QUOTE="enz2"]I'm 12+ hrs into the game and I'm struggling to stay keen on the game. Kind of a shock really, as Im fond of level 5 games... dark cloud, rogue galaxy, dragon quest viii and white knight chronicles all awesome games. But this game really surprises me of my lack of interest. Why did this game get so much hype anyway? Whereas the other level 5 games are all underrated and to me are like hidden gems. Still have mixed thoughts on it, but definitely overrated I'd say. I think it's the combat and ai uselessness that's ruining the experience for me. Fans of level 5... How'd you find ni no kuni compared to the previous level 5 games?0diN_7

It seems like people were just starved for a good JRPG, and they just took and gave praise to whatever game that was visually-well executed (yet not engaging) and that fit the bill of "RPG-made-in-Japan". Do yourself a favour folks, and play DQ8 or Xenoblade chronicles, which are JRPGs that are more engaging and have superior gameplay to NNK. Just a suggestion, before anyone else labels NNK their "GOTY" or "Best game this gen", which happened alot to MGS4 when it came out ironically -_-"

Exactly. Just another person who thinks there opinion is fact... Also making comments about DQ8 and then talking about this generation doesn't even make sense. Ni No Kuni was easily one of my favorite games this entire generation of gaming.

#40 Posted by yourmate (165 posts) -
At first I was really impressed with the game. I had never played JRPGs so was really taken in by the visuals and I think the scripting is quite clever too. After about 8 hrs however, I had about enough. The overall story and concept is great but I just can't stand the combat system - way too much happening at once and it gets quite repetitive at times. This game would have been near perfect if they had implemented a proper turn based combat system instead.
#41 Posted by gamenerd15 (4433 posts) -

I just bought the game.  I played the demo and loved that, so I am sure to like the full version.  I might be speaking out of turn due to my limited experience with the game, but how is the fighting system bad.  It feels like a Tales game with magic spells.  I honestly do not know why people are comparing this game to Dragon Quest 8.  It is not supposed to be a Dragon Quest game, so why make a comparison when there is not one.  Yes, level 5 developed DQ8, but it does not mean that every RPG title the developer makes has to be in the same vein as DQ.  Ni No Kuni is Ni No Kuni, and Dragon Quest is Dragon Quest. 

To the person that said Ni No Kuni was like FF 13, WTF?  I do not know where you are getting that idea.  Even with the small amount of time I spent with the game, I can tell that it is no FF 13. 

It seems that the people who did not like Ni No Kuni had a preconceived notion in their heads about how the title was supposed to be before playing it. 

#42 Posted by Dark_Metamorphosis (13350 posts) -

Finished the game after 70 hour and I enjoyed it very much. Ending left quite a bit to be desired though. Contemplating going back and doing the extra missions.

#43 Posted by djwood84 (447 posts) -

Sooooooooooooo much grinding.  Beautiful game with great story but its crippled by JRPG grind.

#44 Posted by osirisx3 (1739 posts) -

its a beautiful game and should not be missed by any RPG fans.

#45 Posted by MondasM (1209 posts) -
quite a lot and it was a breath of fresh air for me...