Decided to buy a PS Vita (Suggestions)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by marcheegsr (2465 posts) -

I have always been fond of the Vita but never been serious about getting one until recently. Also being a member of ps plus and owning a ps3/ps4, I feel like its a no brainer to buy one.

I have a few questions (I guess current vita owners will know more about this)

1. Which one should I get? Oled screen or LCD?

2. Should I buy a bundle and if so how big of a memory card should I get? I was thinking about this bundle. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00GSIAFB2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0MKM436CQCMMT6M09ND3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1687860482&pf_rd_i=915398

3. What are the top games out right now that I should get?

4. What future titles should I keep my eye on?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by LpcWarrior (579 posts) -

The bundle seems nice, I bought a vita recently and am enjoying it thoroughly. If you're a ps+ the free games will take up a lot of the memory, but if you're not going to be downloading your games, 8gb should be ok for a while.

#3 Edited by LpcWarrior (579 posts) -

Games? Persona 4 golden. Im not a big JRPG, but I've sunk 40 hours into it so far and I'm loving it.

Check out Tom McShea's video on upcoming games, and why vita is awesome.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/why-you-should-buy-a-vita-in-2014/2300-6416924/

#4 Edited by Jetsfan122 (77 posts) -

I just picked up the vita as well, mainly for remote play with my ps 4. I was very surprised to see I was able to get unchartered and gravity rush free on ps plus. Loving everything about the vita so far.

#5 Edited by pokemon4597 (16 posts) -

1. I love my OLED screen, and I would hate to give up all that lovely color! But if the LED one is released with a better price or something, than by all means bite.

2. This bundle seems like a good deal, though 8GB could be a little small. I have a 16GB and I buy all my games through retail (except the ones that are PSN only), and I'm running out of space! If you want to take advantage of PS Plus, than you might want to go bigger.

3. Depends on what you like. If you're PS Plus, then Uncharted and Gravity Rush are both really, really good (even if you're not Plus, they're still really good). But Persona 4 Golden is also incredible, and Dead or Alive and UMvC3 are really great fighters if you're into that. Soul Sacrifice is good, but not amazing, and Killzone Mercenary is a really well-crafted shooter, much better than COD Declassified!

4. It looks like the Vita is set to become a bit of a JRPG machine, with a couple really good looking ones on the way, like Toukiden and Demon Gaze. Sadly, there's not too much else on the horizon to get excited about if you're not a JRPG fan.

Awesome that you've finally gotten a Vita, it's a great system. I just hope Sony announces a few more new games...

#6 Posted by dreamdust (609 posts) -

@marcheegsr: I have the OLED (older version) and it looks great. I've heard from reviews (e.g., IGN) that the OLED is the better of the two screens. I would recommend getting the largest memory card available, especially if you want to load up on PSP/classic games. No real preference on bundles. I would recommend Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Rayman Legends (if you don't have it already), Dragon's Crown, Muramasa, and Disgaea 3 (if you are into it). I have heard a lot of good things about Persona also, but have never played it. Final Fantasy X/X-2 comes out soon. Not aware of much new coming out in the future though, vita has struggled quite a bit. It's too bad, because it really is a great piece of hardware.

#7 Posted by SpiderLuke (471 posts) -

Get a really big card. I'm glad I did with all the games I got from Plus. I have OLED, and it looks amazing. I feel like it would be a downgrade without it.

#8 Posted by HitmanActual (320 posts) -

Get a 32 or 64GB card as anything smaller is useless. I have an OLED but my cousin has an LCD and it looks fine as well, so both screens are fine.

#9 Posted by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

How does the screen on the Vita look when you play PS4 games remotely? Is it close to how the console looks?

I've been thinking about picking one up mainly for this reason, so I'm not confined to one room of the house to play my games.

#10 Edited by Floppy_Jim (25559 posts) -

1. I couldn't say. OLED is better quality but the bigger buttons and extra hour of battery could be more important to you. I don't think the LCD version has launched outside Japan yet.

2. I hope you remembered to add the free Vita games to your download list. I wouldn't go below 32GB; I recently ordered a 64GB Mem card from Play-Asia as, again, they haven't launched outside of Japan. PS+ fills them up quickly and the convenience of everything on 1 card is nice.

3. Persona 4 Golden, Tearaway, Killzone: Mercenary, Gravity Rush, Guacamelee, Velocity Ultra, Wipeout 2048, Soul Sacrifice, Rayman: Origins and Legends, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Ys: Memories of Celecta, Hotline Miami, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. Tons of PSP & PS1 games.

4. Gravity Rush 2, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta + Soul Sacrifice 2, Velocity Ultra 2, Hotline Miami 2. Some I'm missing. A Sony event on the 30th is rumoured to contain a Vita game announcement or two.

#11 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69889 posts) -

I have always been fond of the Vita but never been serious about getting one until recently. Also being a member of ps plus and owning a ps3/ps4, I feel like its a no brainer to buy one.

I have a few questions (I guess current vita owners will know more about this)

1. Which one should I get? Oled screen or LCD?

2. Should I buy a bundle and if so how big of a memory card should I get? I was thinking about this bundle. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00GSIAFB2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0MKM436CQCMMT6M09ND3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1687860482&pf_rd_i=915398

3. What are the top games out right now that I should get?

4. What future titles should I keep my eye on?

Thanks in advance.

1: Get the original one

2:Get the biggest one you can afford

3: PErsona 4 Golden, Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Walkind Dead, flower

4: Final Fantasy X HD

#12 Edited by mooooo99 (1240 posts) -

id go for the original oled.

the biggest card you can get, i have the 32gb and even thats too small. it would be awesome if there was some sort of internal memory..

games eh? uncharted ga, gravity rush, wipeout 2048, rayman origins/legends, new little kings story, killzone, flower, ragnarok odyssey theres plenty out there to enjoy.

as said before final fantasy x hd

#13 Edited by d_parker (1715 posts) -

I'd go for the 32gb memory card but be warned, unless there's been an update I'm not aware of, you can only have something like 100 icons and that's with some icons being in folders and Sony makes you install a bunch that you'll likely never use.

It sucks to have extra space that you can't access but unless you're huge fan of Minis, this probably won't be a problem.

#14 Edited by Malta_1980 (11165 posts) -

get at least a 32GB card... as for games there are many great ones such as Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Killzone, Persona4, Assassins Creed, Wipeout 2048, Dragon's Crown, Muramasa, Soul Sacrifice, LBP, Sly Cooper, Modnation Racers, Guacamelee etc etc

#15 Edited by marcheegsr (2465 posts) -

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I ended up buying a Ps vita today!!

I bought it used off someone. It's 3 weeks old (receipt proved it). Like brand new condition. I paid 180. I got the Oled Vita with a 8g memory card, Killzone mercenary, and Sly cooper thieves in time.

I know I should of got a bigger memory card but for now its ok. As we speak my vita is downloading Uncharted, wipeout, Gravity rush, and GTA Liberty stories (all free from ps plus).

Also tried out remote play from my ps4 not too long ago. Works better than I thought. So far so good. I could see myself getting a lot of use out of the Vita. Persona 4 is on my radar next.

I just hope I made a good decision seeing as though the vita slim was announced. But I feel 180 was a good value.

PS. Killzone Mercenary looks incredible, really shows how powerful the vita is.

#16 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

I've had my vita for over a year, and I play it every day. It's definitely my favorite handheld I've owned, and I've owned spanning back to the early 80's. If you can afford the oled, I'd go for that, but either way, the image quality is excellent.

Will admit, the memory cards can get pricey, but I've got the 16gig one, and 30 games, and haven't used up all the memory.

Some of my favorite titles...

Tearaway

Killzone mercenary

Soul sacrifice

Gravity rush

Persona 4

Uncharted

Dragons crown

But there are like over 70 games to choose from

#17 Posted by donalbane (16182 posts) -

If you have PS+, you will get several decent games for free, so I recommend that if you don't already have it. Honestly, though, I think the best game is Killzone Mercenary. The controls, graphics, and story are all really great, the singleplayer is repayable in different challenge modes, and the multiplayer is console quality. Also, I would definitely recommend the 32gb card if you get PS+. I know it's pricey, but it's an investment in all the free games you will have access to.

#18 Posted by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I ended up buying a Ps vita today!!

I bought it used off someone. It's 3 weeks old (receipt proved it). Like brand new condition. I paid 180. I got the Oled Vita with a 8g memory card, Killzone mercenary, and Sly cooper thieves in time.

I know I should of got a bigger memory card but for now its ok. As we speak my vita is downloading Uncharted, wipeout, Gravity rush, and GTA Liberty stories (all free from ps plus).

Also tried out remote play from my ps4 not too long ago. Works better than I thought. So far so good. I could see myself getting a lot of use out of the Vita. Persona 4 is on my radar next.

I just hope I made a good decision seeing as though the vita slim was announced. But I feel 180 was a good value.

PS. Killzone Mercenary looks incredible, really shows how powerful the vita is.

I've read that the price point for the slim might not be that different than current model. I think you made the right choice, considering the OLED screen seems to be the preferable one over the LCD.

I think I'm picking up one this weekend. Can't wait.

#19 Posted by cdragon_88 (1132 posts) -

Sorry to hijack your thread but I don't see a point of creating a new vita thread. How do I access the IP address configuration of my PS Vita. My network does not use DHCP so I have to set up my TCP/IP configurations first before connecting. I have no idea where those settings are. Any help would be apprecaited. I've been searching the web but I cant find it.