Dark Souls worth a buy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 LordTrexGuy
Member since 2008 • 504 Posts

I loved Dragon's Dogma and found Skyrim to be decent (a prime example of developer laziness) but I'm not sure whether DkS PTD is worth buying or not. Judging by the gameplay videos I've seen so far, graphics look downright terrible (could someone justify this please?) and the game seems just unfair unlike some other games where difficulty means smarter AI or more realism like one-shot bullet kills. I also think the game is too dark and bleak and coupled with bad graphics, weird animations and unfair gameplay, it just seems like some random dude decided to make a game but I've heard only good things about this game so I'm considering it. Also, I don't know whether I like difficult games or not but I thought playing Lords of Shadow on Paladin difficulty wasn't tough enough.

If I don't buy Dks, I can go with Far Cry 3 but I could get also FC3 later and get DS now. I can also get KOA Reckoning instead but I'm not sure about it either because of the unjustifying demo. Can anyone give some advice as what to do now?

H_M_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 H_M_1
Member since 2011 • 1150 Posts

I loved Dragon's Dogma and found Skyrim to be decent (a prime example of developer laziness) but I'm not sure whether DkS PTD is worth buying or not. Judging by the gameplay videos I've seen so far, graphics look downright terrible (could someone justify this please?) and the game seems just unfair unlike some other games where difficulty means smarter AI or more realism like one-shot bullet kills. I also think the game is too dark and bleak and coupled with bad graphics, weird animations and unfair gameplay, it just seems like some random dude decided to make a game but I've heard only good things about this game so I'm considering it. Also, I don't know whether I like difficult games or not but I thought playing Lords of Shadow on Paladin difficulty wasn't tough enough.

If I don't buy Dks, I can go with Far Cry 3 but I could get also FC3 later and get DS now. I can also get KOA Reckoning instead but I'm not sure about it either because of the unjustifying demo. Can anyone give some advice as what to do now?

LordTrexGuy
Dark Souls is a brilliant game. It is difficult but that is how you learn, by trial and error, recognising enemy moves and countering etc. I had it but I gave it back because I wanted to play other games and the way I was going, it would've taken me ages to complete it. The eerie and dark nature suits this game brilliantly. Graphics I can't remember too much, been a while since I had it but I was more engaged in the gameplay, it sucked me in, I'm sure the graphics were good. To put it straight, if you have time and a lot of patience, play this game, it is worth it.
Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
I was skeptical once like you, i researched and watched gameplay videos and i still couldn't figure out if it was worth a buy. But i decided to purchase it and it's a pretty decent game. It is very difficult and you won't make a lot of progress even though you've spent a lot of time on it. I say its worth a shot, but patience is a virtue.
jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Game is awesome I paid full price and it was worth every penny. I can't say that about 99% of the games out there. DS has a steep learning curve that's why most people say it's hard. Once you make it 3 4 or 5 hours into the game it all clicks and it becomes a bit easyer. The game is very complex and the stat building and weapon upgrades can be compicated. If you get the game buy the guide. I don't use guides on most games but DS it's needed. The guide was priceless I would have never finished the game without it. When you build your charecter and pick a special atribute make sure to pick the master key. It makes the game a lot easyer.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Yeah man, it's awesome. Go for it! And I wanted recommend the guide if you need help, the game has been patched a lot so it's not very accurate. Also, all the art in the book is super low res, so that bummed me out, but anyway Dark Souls Wiki is the place I would recommend to go to if you are looking for tips at some point.
puddinghead101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 puddinghead101
Member since 2012 • 190 Posts

All I can say is this game is my game of this generation and perhaps my favourite game ever.

Just buy it, give it a few hours playtime and see what happens. Its a missed opportunity if you don't at least give it a go.

SulIy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SulIy
Member since 2013 • 113 Posts
Huh, I always thought Dark Souls and Demons Souls looked just fine. Fantastic and compelling game world design, I love quality architecture in a fantasy game world.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Is the best game of the entire generation worth a buy? I'd say yes.

Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Headpopper333
Member since 2009 • 924 Posts

LordTrexGuy

saying Dark Souls has terrible graphics while mentioning you love Dragon's Dogma, wow, just wow.

Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Headpopper333

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

Headpopper333

saying Dark Souls has terrible graphics while mentioning you love Dragon's Dogma, wow, just wow.

Also saying Dark Souls has bad animations whle mentioning Skyrim in the same sentence, please don't buy Dark Souls, you don't deserve to play it you tool.

Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Headpopper333

Huh, I always thought Dark Souls and Demons Souls looked just fine. Fantastic and compelling game world design, I love quality architecture in a fantasy game world.SulIy

This is some young noob, don't even reply anymore to this crap because he's obviously very very confused.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
dark souls its epic masterpiece go for it buy the prepare to die edition have extra
Benny_Blakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Benny_Blakk
Member since 2007 • 910 Posts

LordTrexGuy

In my opinion, Demon's Souls was great and addictive. Dark Souls took almost everything and made it better (some things were left out, but that happens with sequels). It's not about jaw dropping graphics, but rather atmosphere and themes. It is very challenging, but who want a walk in the park?

Besides, when things get pretty difficult, you can summon. In most rpg's (Dragon's Dogma, Final Fantasy), you summon AI characters to assist you. In Dark Souls, you can do that as well. But what's unique is that you can actually summon other players to assist you (or be summoned yourself).

All the hyped and praise given to this title is well worth it. The odds you'll be disappointed are slim.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LordTrexGuy

[QUOTE="Headpopper333"]

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

Headpopper333

Also saying Dark Souls has bad animations whle mentioning Skyrim in the same sentence, please don't buy Dark Souls, you don't deserve to play it you tool.

Please learn to read before you type, dyslexic 10 year old. I never said anything good about Skyrim, so please notch up your English skills and I see you don't know how to type the word 'fool', further adding to speculation you're BELOW 10 years old. Can't you, for God's sake, read that I'm not sure about the graphics and who are you, broke kid, to say which games I can play? And who are you to call other, more polite and experienced folk around here noobs?

Stick to Call of Duty, please.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LordTrexGuy

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

Benny_Blakk

In my opinion, Demon's Souls was great and addictive. Dark Souls took almost everything and made it better (some things were left out, but that happens with sequels). It's not about jaw dropping graphics, but rather atmosphere and themes. It is very challenging, but who want a walk in the park?

Besides, when things get pretty difficult, you can summon. In most rpg's (Dragon's Dogma, Final Fantasy), you summon AI characters to assist you. In Dark Souls, you can do that as well. But what's unique is that you can actually summon other players to assist you (or be summoned yourself).

All the hyped and praise given to this title is well worth it. The odds you'll be disappointed are slim.

The aspect that someone else can invade my world is what really made me want to buy this game. Does the Prepare to Die edition have the Artorias DLC? And is it still worth buying this game with DS2 coming up? How many hours does it take to finish the game?

A last question. If I found Monster Hunter hard, how would I fare against monsters in DS? I mean, MH is probably the most difficult game I've played and the monsters are downright overpowered during your first time.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

Best game of the generation.

lonewolfman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lonewolfman10
Member since 2012 • 528 Posts

If you like those type of games where it will crush you on difficulty level

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

dude im on the fence about this game too. i bought it twice before and ended up selling it both times. i am now going to go buy it again cuz there is literally no other game that i want to play right now that is worth the price. and dark souls is like $20 now. and its the only rpg with online pvp and ive always wanted to get into that, even if it is a glitch fest with a lot of BS as ive been hearing a lot. it also has cool looking armors/weapons and customization options which i do appreciate, i just hate how tedious it is. its one of those games where you will spend more time researching stuff than actually playing.

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

I've played just about every game for PS3 that has gotten an 8 rating or higher from Gamespot. Dark Souls would probably be my 2nd favorite game after Red Dead Redemption.

The graphics don't look that great in spots, but sometimes they look outstanding. The combat is very fair... yes there'll be an occasional glitch that gets you killed, but it's very rare. The combat amazes me in that this is the only series that really gets melee combat right.

As far as the difficulty, it's only really difficult in that the game doesn't tell you what to do, or give you much guidance at all. If you use a guide, and know what order to tackle the areas, and the boss's weaknesses, it's not really very difficult at all. So I recommend that if you try the game and are getting frustrating by getting killed a lot, use a walkthrough for help. I couldn't imagine anyone getting through the game without any outside help at all.

The game just rocks. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

If you don't mind dieing a lot. Go for it. I loved the game but got so sick of dieing and felt the time wasted on dieing and not much progression made me quit. Takes a dedicated type of person to play Demon or Dark souls all the way through.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LordTrexGuy

I fought the Taurus Demon at friend's house and finished him in 2 minutes without overpowered equipment. Will the game's difficulty continue to go on like this or does it spike somewhere? And the combat looks only Light Attack+ Occasional Heavy Attack+ Roll to me. Can someone clear up these doubts? I really want to be sure before I get it, so that's why I'm asking.

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

Some parts of the game are tougher than others, and it also depends on what type of character you have. I played through as a melee and then as a sorceror type. The sorceror type was easier for the majority of the game, but one part (Crystal Caverns) was incredibly difficult with a sorceror because everything in there resists your spells.

The combat is good and you can do different things. Some enemies have lumbering attacks that allow you to dodge and get behind them for a bonus stab. Parry/riposte also works very well.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I fought the Taurus Demon at friend's house and finished him in 2 minutes without overpowered equipment. Will the game's difficulty continue to go on like this or does it spike somewhere? And the combat looks only Light Attack+ Occasional Heavy Attack+ Roll to me. Can someone clear up these doubts? I really want to be sure before I get it, so that's why I'm asking.

LordTrexGuy
You can do shield bashes, parry's, kicks, backstabs, use bows and use a few dozen spells. Also all weapon types have different attacks. (maces, 2hand swords, axes, etc.) And lawl yes, yes the game will be more difficult.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#24 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

If you like games without a up front story and bland combat then its your game.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Yes its worth it it's one of the best games this gen.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LordTrexGuy

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

PetJel

You can do shield bashes, parry's, kicks, backstabs, use bows and use a few dozen spells. Also all weapon types have different attacks. (maces, 2hand swords, axes, etc.) And lawl yes, yes the game will be more difficult.

That sounds too much like Skyrim, but I'm getting the game anyday now, so thats to be seen.

SweetPhantasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SweetPhantasm
Member since 2012 • 55 Posts
Yes, you should definitely get it. It's very addicting and the graphics are awesome!
idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

[QUOTE="PetJel"][QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

LordTrexGuy

That sounds too much like Skyrim, but I'm getting the game anyday now, so thats to be seen.

its actually not like skyrim as much as ppl think. skyrim has really weak combat compared to dark souls. the combat in dark souls is much more polished. but almost everything else is much more polished in skyrim.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#30 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

only if you like a game with clunky controls ans clunky combat, sure.