Dark souls or Demon's souls?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kingmav222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 kingmav222
Member since 2004 • 493 Posts

Hey guys I want to pick one of these games up and give it a try. Do I need to have played demons to understand dark?

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

Demon and Dark share same gameplay but not the lore so you don't need to play one to understand the other and vice-versa. Probably best to go with Dark because it's the latest one and has more of possibly everything that makes Demon's good, though I do feel people should experience Demon's as well because it started it all(this gen) and can be found cheaper.

HxCEdgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 HxCEdgy
Member since 2012 • 27 Posts
I am in the same boat as you i want to play Dark or Demon Souls but didn't know witch one to get, Dark Souls does soumds like the one to choose its is the latest one and like whats bean said they don't share the same lore.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'd start with Demon's Souls. Game is easier (though still no cakewalk) than Dark Souls, plus you can get it really cheap these days. Others will disagree with me, but I also think it's a better game than Dark Souls.

SteamedBennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SteamedBennet
Member since 2011 • 534 Posts

You can't really go wrong with either. Though I preferred Dark Souls as I preferred it's seamless open world as opposed to Demon's Souls individual level system.

mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

Start with Demon's, since it's older and I'm not sure how much longer the servers will last for online play.

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts
Demon's Souls is the better of the two but both are still great.
PlusFour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PlusFour
Member since 2011 • 125 Posts

I've yet to complete dark souls, just gone off it. I love demon's souls though, currently playing through ng+ and still enjoying it. Demon's souls is the better game for me. I'd recommend it, not only as it's better (imo) but you can pick it up for a very cheap price these days. I'd have a look to check if there are any plans for the demon's souls servers. Not too long ago there were plans to shut them down so if you're planning to play online it would be something to look into.

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Renzokucant
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts
Both, always both
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Get both Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. These games are tough apparently so if you want a challenge.

PS3FanMan4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PS3FanMan4Life
Member since 2012 • 131 Posts

Hey guys I want to pick one of these games up and give it a try. Do I need to have played demons to understand dark?

kingmav222

Start with Demon souls and see if you like it first. They're both really tough.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

I'd go with Demons Souls

Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
IMO Demon Souls is better. I own Dark Souls and used to own Demons i intend on buying it back but dark is more cheap imo and u need to be luckier rather than skillfull. imo Demons u need to be more skillful so. But if u can get both
metalicelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 metalicelvis
Member since 2008 • 716 Posts

I loved Demon's Soul's but Dark Souls for me was something really special and one of my all time favourite games. Either way your getting an awesome gaming experience!

Sandallman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sandallman
Member since 2009 • 408 Posts
I preferred demons souls. Dark Souls had some parts that were hard for the sake of being hard with some really frustrating game design. Sen's Fortress anyone? But they are both great games in their own right.
Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
Skip Demon's. Some of the coolest features are online and from what I understand the servers for the first game are offline.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Swift_Boss_A

Skip Demon's. Some of the coolest features are online and from what I understand the servers for the first game are offline. Second_Rook

Still online and will be throughout this year.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#18 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I have not yet played Dark Souls, but I've been playing Demon's Souls for over a year and I must say that its possibly one of the hardest games I've encountered. If you pick on Demon's Souls you'll be pretty much be timing and be patience on enemy attacks and know what weakness and quickest way in defeating tough bosses.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#19 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I'd start with Demon's Souls. Game is easier (though still no cakewalk) than Dark Souls, plus you can get it really cheap these days. Others will disagree with me, but I also think it's a better game than Dark Souls.

Vari3ty
I wouldn't disagree with you, I think Demon's Souls is a much better game than Dark Souls.
mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

Start with Demon's, since it's older and I'm not sure how much longer the servers will last for online play.

mikeyMKII

Speak of the devil, it seems you don't have much more time to play Demon's Souls online.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Demon's soul > Dark Souls
HardGames420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HardGames420
Member since 2011 • 233 Posts

kingmav222

They're both hard, Dark Souls is hard as hell though because it's so much bigger and you're just dropped into a massive world with deadly creatures everywhere waiting to kill you. Buy Demon's Souls for very cheap and if you don't like it you didn't lose much at all. Dark Souls is a bit more expensive and the games are very similar except Dark Souls is bigger and harder. Demon's Souls will give you a taste of what you're in for in Dark Souls.

HardGames420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HardGames420
Member since 2011 • 233 Posts

Both, always both Renzokucant

lol

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts

[QUOTE="Second_Rook"]Skip Demon's. Some of the coolest features are online and from what I understand the servers for the first game are offline. Swift_Boss_A

Thanks. I had heard whispers of the servers shutting down last year so I figured they had done like a sports game and shut them down when the follow up was released.
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts
[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]

[QUOTE="Second_Rook"]Skip Demon's. Some of the coolest features are online and from what I understand the servers for the first game are offline. Second_Rook

Thanks. I had heard whispers of the servers shutting down last year so I figured they had done like a sports game and shut them down when the follow up was released.

Shutting down at the end of May of this year. :(
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Swift_Boss_A

Shutting down at the end of May of this year. :(ExoticAnimal

Not the EU version :cool: Also this wont be the first time Atlus said they're shutting down NA servers, they still could change their mind if they start seeing a lot more activity. So NA gamers get back in to DS !

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

[QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"]Shutting down at the end of May of this year. :(Swift_Boss_A

Not the EU version :cool: Also this wont be the first time Atlus said they're shutting down NA servers, they still could change their mind if they start seeing a lot more activity. So NA gamers get back in to DS !

It has been a tremendous honor and privilege for all of our staff at ATLUS to have been involved with so innovative and groundbreaking an interactive entertainment experience. We poured our heart and soul into every facet of our involvement with Demon's Souls, particularly the title's memorable Deluxe Edition, which served as the only avenue through which to purchase the game's official strategy guide. It was also of the utmost importance for us to sustain the game's online experience as long as possible, even beyond the point at which sales could help to offset the expense. Regrettably, the online servers cannot be sustained forever and now the end draws near. ^From a dude at ATLUS... You have any links saying the EU servers are staying up? I'd look for an import copy if that was the case..
good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

mikeyMKII
I think I read they're going down very soon. Sometime this year. So I agree. Demon's Souls was amazing. Never played the sequel.
ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

@Swift_Boss_A: I have to say that's a cool pic in your sig. Blade Runner is a really great movie.

@TC: I have only played Demon's Souls and it was way way way way way way way way way..... umm sorry... it is way too difficult or atleast it was for me. It was soo freaking difficult that I didn't even bother getting Dark Souls because it is way way way way way way way way way..... umm sorry again... it is way more difficult than Demon's Souls from what I have read and heard about it.

It is too bad, because I was looking forward to playing Demon's Souls before it came out. I just don't like playing a game that I get frustrated while playing it, as I like to enjoy what I am playing and that isn't something that I can do in Demon's Souls. I wish that there was a way to change the difficulty, because I really would like to play that great game.

Even with all of that frustration Demon's Souls is a really nice quality made game, and I am sure that Dark Souls is too.

metalicelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 metalicelvis
Member since 2008 • 716 Posts

@Swift_Boss_A: I have to say that's a cool pic in your sig. Blade Runner is a really great movie.

@TC: I have only played Demon's Souls and it was way way way way way way way way way..... umm sorry... it is way too difficult or atleast it was for me. It was soo freaking difficult that I didn't even bother getting Dark Souls because it is way way way way way way way way way..... umm sorry again... it is way more difficult than Demon's Souls from what I have read and heard about it.

It is too bad, because I was looking forward to playing Demon's Souls before it came out. I just don't like playing a game that I get frustrated while playing it, as I like to enjoy what I am playing and that isn't something that I can do in Demon's Souls. I wish that there was a way to change the difficulty, because I really would like to play that great game.

Even with all of that frustration Demon's Souls is a really nice quality made game, and I am sure that Dark Souls is too.

ghstbstr
Dark souls / Demons souls would ruin the game imo. The sense of achievement from destroying the giant bosses are half of their charm.
Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

Pve game: demons souls

pvp: dark souls.

Better atmosphere: demons souls

more content: dark souls.

i would suggest demons souls. both are good though. Dark souls difficulty is higher as well

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Swift_Boss_A
You have any links saying the EU servers are staying up? I'd look for an import copy if that was the case..MethodManFTW
Atlus doesn't have a say on the EU or JP servers. Sony handles the Japanese servers so they will stay on the longest my guess and Namco Bandai published the game in the EU and AUS. It's up to Namco when to shutdown EU servers so even though NA is going next month the EU and JP will remain online until further notice from their respective publishers.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#33 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

mikeyMKII

May 31, so play Demon's Souls ASAP or you'll miss out on quite the phenomenon.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
BOTH