dark souls offline play

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by biswajit90210 (511 posts) -

hi i was just reading the dark souls review on ign..a part of the review made me feel uneasy..it felt like the review was trying a little too hard to promote online play.now i have finished demon's souls and i played through it offline because i dont have internet connected to my ps3 and i did just fine..i understand dark souls is going tobe much more difficult so i may need online help..but in my case i dont have that option,why are most of the websites trying to make it look like you cant finish the game without taking help from other people?i have nothing against online play its just not something i have access to.if i did i would have used it..what iam tryingto sayis this game impossible to get through without going online?i know its a little too early but i hope people who decide to play it alone dont get a raw deal.

#2 Posted by Renzokucant (3123 posts) -
You will be fine offline, I know they said it doesn't promote grinding, but when u can't beat something grind lol
#3 Posted by biswajit90210 (511 posts) -

true grind is the only option and i dont mind doing it..cant wait i haven't been this excited for a game in a long time :) hope it doesnt break the new gamers..

#4 Posted by mkaliaz (1979 posts) -

Although I played all of Demon's Souls online, I never once used the co-op because it made the boss fights way too easy. My take on the co-op is it is to help peole who are either really struggling or aren't very good at video games in general. I highly doubt co-op is required and think you will be just fine this time as well without it.

#5 Posted by biswajit90210 (511 posts) -

ya iam sure it wont be that bad..usually when i get stuck in a game i just take a small break and comeback..works everytime..

#6 Posted by Apocalypse324 (1486 posts) -

Im gonna be doing the samething as you...I dont have internet at the moment but ill be standing in line at midnight to get my game and then be coming straight home to play it...worst case scenario hop over to these good ol forums and ask for advice...message me if you want...if ive done anything on part your stuck on ill gladly try to help as im sure alot of others will too

#7 Posted by blueboxdoctor (2396 posts) -

I doubt it'll be too hard to play solo/offline. I know I only did coop for the last boss because I just wanted some extra help, but even then they acted as distractions since I kept getting invaded. The reviews for Demon's Souls put a lot of emphasis on the online as well, so I don't see it being impossible to beat Dark Souls offline. Well hopefully it won't be, as I'm still debating whether or not to get it tomorrow due to the difficulty (and isn't rage coming out tomorrow as well?).

#8 Posted by mkaliaz (1979 posts) -

Another advantage to playing offline is that other players cant invade your game and kill you. I switched off my internet a couple of times after getting really pissed off at getting killed constantly (i'm terrible at pvp).

#9 Posted by daiyume (308 posts) -

Another advantage to playing offline is that other players cant invade your game and kill you. I switched off my internet a couple of times after getting really pissed off at getting killed constantly (i'm terrible at pvp).mkaliaz
If you don't like getting invaded, all you had to do was stay in soul form (-_-メ ) You also get a bonus damage increase if you have PWCT or PBCT in soul form. There are pretty much no advantages to staying offline and plenty of advantages to being online. They're both games that heavily encourage online play.

#10 Posted by mkaliaz (1979 posts) -

If you don't like getting invaded, all you had to do was stay in soul form (-_-メ ) You also get a bonus damage increase if you have PWCT or PBCT in soul form. There are pretty much no advantages to staying offline and plenty of advantages to being online. They're both games that heavily encourage online play.

daiyume

Ya, i'm well aware of how the game works. I beat it like 5 times. Maybe you didnt see the part where I said i'm TERRIBLE at pvp, so for me there is an advantage to playing offline. Also, you go back to normal/body form everytime you kill a boss, so its not like you can stay in soul form 100% of the time.

Anyway, i'm not encouraging ppl to play offline, because most of the online features are cool. But the invasion part was the worst part of demon's souls for me.

#11 Posted by daiyume (308 posts) -

[QUOTE="daiyume"]If you don't like getting invaded, all you had to do was stay in soul form (-_-メ ) You also get a bonus damage increase if you have PWCT or PBCT in soul form. There are pretty much no advantages to staying offline and plenty of advantages to being online. They're both games that heavily encourage online play.

mkaliaz

Ya, i'm well aware of how the game works. I beat it like 5 times. Maybe you didnt see the part where I said i'm TERRIBLE at pvp, so for me there is an advantage to playing offline.Also, you go back to normal/body form everytime you kill a boss, so its not like you can stay in soul form 100% of the time.

Which is why I said if you stay in soul form, you can't get invaded so there is no PvP while keeping all the other benefits of being online. If you want to stay in soul form, all you have to do is suicide in the Nexus after killing a boss. What exactly is the advantage of playing offline besides not having to go through a few seconds of reclaiming your souls from suiciding in the Nexus versus not having player apparitions, blood stains and messages that give you hints, answers and warnings of whats around the corner during online?

Anyway, i'm not encouraging ppl to play offline, because most of the online features are cool. But the invasion part was the worst part of demon's souls for me.mkaliaz
I personally liked the invasions, they can help achieve the character tendency you're aiming for much faster. I had a PBCT character for invading and a PWCT character for helping. When I was working on my Platinum and didn't feel like getting invaded, I just stayed in soul form.

#12 Posted by Essian (3409 posts) -
I'm going to be straight with you. The game is going to be probably about 5x harder offline. You won't be able to summon other players to aid you, you won't be able to join other words to gain souls and figure out what is coming ahead, no hints or tips on the ground about where to find loot or to be careful.... heck, there was one boss fight during the IGN live stream that pretty much looks impossible without the help of other players. Still, don't let that deter you if you are okay with a hefty challenge. They didn't make the game unplayable alone, but I honestly feel like this is a game that is best played online. If you are okay with a steep challenge and no one to help you through it, then Dark Souls is probably going to be a great game for you.