DANGEROUS BREAKING NEWS: Bethesda Skyrim 1.4 Patch WON'T FIX LAG !!!

• 189 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lazy_Marine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Lazy_Marine
Member since 2003 • 955 Posts

PS3 Users, you have been betrayed forever by Bethesda, I contacted Skyrim support regarding the totally broken state of Skyrim Ps3, and i got a reply stating that they are aware of the issue but it may be a WHILE till its fixed, also continues to say that next patch will fix some quests and other stuff BUT no news on the LAG Fix !

So get ready to wait 6 months or maybe there is no fix for it EVER. I"m heart broken beyond repair, game is ruined for me. I shelved it after going half-way through 2 weeks ago, now i forgot the storyline.

and NO, disabling autosave, emptying HDD space, reseting ps3 every 2 seconds IS NOT A SOLUTION!!

The_Wild_Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 The_Wild_Tiger
Member since 2006 • 1712 Posts

I stopped caring about Bethesda about a month ago. I realized the only games I ever bought from them were Elder Scrolls games and upon playing Skyrim, as great as the game is, it's really not that great and definately not GOTY material. So I told myself "Why should I keep buying their games if they won't even work properly simply because I own a PS3 and not a 360?" It suck because I was really pumped for Skyrim and this is pretty dissapointing. I can live without the ES series.

PS: Bethesda, if the patch isn't going to fix anything, why bother releasing it at all?

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I pretty much gave up on Bethesda games after ESIII on the OG xbox. What I love is how fans of it will dismiss all of the problems as if they don't matter. A broken game is a broken game, no matter what it "gets right". Patch after patch after patch to fill up my HDD? No thanks. Either get it right, or don't release it - But patching roads like the state of Illinois (they do a terrible job of upkeep on their roads, almost on purpose to keep contracts alive and union workers endlessly employed instead of fixing anything correctly) is for the birds. GOTY, my ***. And if the folks in the industry DO award it thusly, then we'll all know who received free copies, won't we?

:lol:

My deepest sympathies to everyone who paid full price for the PS3 version. I don't like to see my fellow gamers getting frustrated or ripped off.

Peace on Earth, Good Will Towards Men, Go **** Yourself Bethesda. Ahmen.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
I disable autosave, cleaned up my HDD and restart my ps3 ever 4-5 hours and it clears up.. I'm fine with it.. in fact after doing all that the load times are way shorter even! most houses and shops only take a couple seconds to load now.. Yes it would be nice if they could fix it, but hey, when Bethesda gives you lemons, make an elixir of lemonade...
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I disable autosave, cleaned up my HDD and restart my ps3 ever 4-5 hours and it clears up.. I'm fine with it.. in fact after doing all that the load times are way shorter even! most houses and shops only take a couple seconds to load now.. Yes it would be nice if they could fix it, but hey, when Bethesda gives you lemons, make an elixir of lemonade... PoisoN_Facecam0

I've done the same thing, it's not playing perfectly "BUT" at least it's enjoyable. This is my first Elder Scroll game and it might also be my last if they release another product with bugs like this one.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MarcRecon

MonkeySpot

:shock:....Monkey!:P

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"]I disable autosave, cleaned up my HDD and restart my ps3 ever 4-5 hours and it clears up.. I'm fine with it.. in fact after doing all that the load times are way shorter even! most houses and shops only take a couple seconds to load now.. Yes it would be nice if they could fix it, but hey, when Bethesda gives you lemons, make an elixir of lemonade... MarcRecon

I've done the same thing, it's not playing perfectly "BUT" at least it's enjoyable. This is my first Elder Scroll game and it might also be my last if they release another product with bugs like this one.

pretty much all the Elder Scrolls titles are buggy and glitchy.. its just a side effect of having so much freedom in the game world that there's no possible way to test everything, let alone fix it..
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MarcRecon

[QUOTE="MarcRecon"]

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"]I disable autosave, cleaned up my HDD and restart my ps3 ever 4-5 hours and it clears up.. I'm fine with it.. in fact after doing all that the load times are way shorter even! most houses and shops only take a couple seconds to load now.. Yes it would be nice if they could fix it, but hey, when Bethesda gives you lemons, make an elixir of lemonade... PoisoN_Facecam0

pretty much all the Elder Scrolls titles are buggy and glitchy.. its just a side effect of having so much freedom in the game world that there's no possible way to test everything, let alone fix it..

Oh, ok since I never really had an interest in the series(or any RPG)I wasn't aware that this is somewhat a common issue. Either way, I'm enjoying my first adventure(I can't count Dark souls...I traded it in) in RPG land. To tell you the truth I got Skyrim on the suggestion of a friend who knows I'm a HUUUUUUGE fan of the Lord of the Ring series....if it wasn't for his suggestion, we wouldn't be having this conversation.:P

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

MarcRecon

Seemed seasonally appropriate...

:D

My problem with Bethesda is best envisioned thusly:

If you could make changes to an exam or homework assignment well after turning it into the teacher, how hard would YOU work to get anything correct, or to learn the information in the first place? Patching has become the norm instead of the exception when it comes to games on this generation, which is so much crap and honestly, disrespect of the audience it aims to entertain.

Doesn't work at scheduled time of release? No problem. Just fix it "later", or in the case of "Skyrim" for the PS3, perhaps not at all ever... And that's BS. I have all the sympathy in the world for the grunts working it out in the trenches of a development studio, because ultimately, it rests on their shoulders (read the story of Team Bondi and "LA Noire") to then fix or take blame for a game's functionality upon release, all because some idiot exec makes the deadline and watches the profit margins as law. I like studios like Blizzard, who say "The Game Will Release When It's FINISHED". So what if they take ten years between releases? At least you know when you buy a Blizzard game, that it's gonna WORK.

If I ran my company like Bethesda, turning out (basically) broken product, I would have been out of clientele 25 years ago, destitute, and living on the street. I feel the same way about airlines, by the way, and often say as much when confronted by a rude or ignorant employee/ steward. Consumers in general are way too forgiving when it comes to product reliability or service representation, in my opinion, nowadays. Gamers, doubly-so. Some gamers will line up for a golden shower from certain devs... And that's not doing the dev or the hobby any service.

I say all of this as an old-school original D&D player (back in the early 1980s) RPG fan who would LOVE a game like "Skyrim" (or "Morrowind" back on my OG xbox) to follow through on the promise of it's creation. I WANT a game like this (or "Fallout 3") to work, but the fact is, it simply doesn't.

And that's a shame.

:(

I could look past things like Wooley Mammoths falling from the sky if there weren't the game-breaking other glitches going on...

NightStein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NightStein
Member since 2009 • 1084 Posts
I'm only buying this game when it's all fixed, that's probably never, ok well at least i hope they patch the worst bugs and the lag problem/save files. It's a shame because if they released it ok i would be playing it right now, i'm sure. Well everyone loses this way... i hope they change that and certainly hope that GOTY goes for another title that runs ok.
josh494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#11 josh494
Member since 2008 • 841 Posts
People are overreacting. IGN has created an army of Bethesda Haters just because a huge game is having problems on a console. It's not Bethesda's fault the Sony divided up the memory pool. It's not going to be an easy fix most likely. When it does get patched it will be huge. I have Skyrim on the PS3 with over 40 hours logged on to it. It's only frozen twice which is great compared to Fallout 3/New Vegas which froze a bunch. The game is not broken it's just having trouble. If you want to complain that they are slacking on it and are terrible developers, put your self in their shoes. Skyrim is huge! There are millions of things inside of it. Imagnine the difficulty it would take to find problems and fix them. Also since the problem is PS3 specific they are going to have to rewrite their engine so it caters more to it. That is alot of work and it's going to take time. And guess what people. There are other problems that run across all 3 platforms. Please just be patient and be happy with what you had. Games have come super long way. Especially The Elder Scrolls. Go look at The Elder Scrolls: Arena then realize how lucky you are. / Rant Sorry that was mostly aimed at IGN. They post an new Bethesda Hate article a week. I'm not a troll but i'm ready to be flamed.
KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

Have any proof of this claim TC? You'll have to forgive me for not believing everything I hear on the internet w/o anything to back it up. :)

kultrva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kultrva
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Beautifully said, MonkeySpot. The "release now, fix later" mindset that game developers and publishers have is absolutely ruining gaming. In this day and age it's pretty risky to buy a brand new game (as I did with Skyrim) simply because the game is most likely not finished. And guess what that makes you: a dude who payed $60 bucks to be a beta tester.

Do you guys remember console gaming before they had internet connectivity? Back in those days, what you put into the box and shipped to the public absolutely had to be the finished product. If you screwed up, tough ****. The deal was done. Therefore, developers had to work considerably harder back then to make sure that what they put on a SNES or N64 cartridge was of pristene quality.

The "internet age" is encouraging developers to be lazy when they code and release games. Due to the availability of patches, the final product can be released a year after the initial release.

I would just love to see a company work so hard on a newer game that it didn't need to be patched. And trust me, guys, it can be done. It's been done plenty of times in the past.

/rant

GnaeusPompeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GnaeusPompeii
Member since 2011 • 29 Posts
Glad I didn't waste my money on this trash effort from Bethesda!
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MonkeySpot

People are overreacting. IGN has created an army of Bethesda Haters just because a huge game is having problems on a console. josh494

And... It's not SONY'S fault that Bethesda released a $60 game without making sure it worked for that platform. You can make all the excuses for Bethesda you like, it doesn't excuse the fact that they sent the game for pressing to disc without testing it properly. If the console was so ****ed by it's maker for the purpose of running their engine, perhaps they should have thought about holding the game back on PS3 until they could make all of the massive changes to the game engine you outline in your post.

The fact that they recognize publicly that the game doesn't run on the PS3 due to partitioning, or whatever else they'd like to pass blame onto Sony for, but put it onsale anyway because they didn't want to lose revenue, or cause any undue stress on their consumers ("No 'Skyrim' on PS3??? OOOOHHHH NOOOO!!!!"), shows a blinding disrespect for the customer in the first place.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

I started seeing Skyrim as a Xbox/PC game only. I know there are people that don't have lag issues, but I'll prefer to play safe and not buy it.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

[QUOTE="josh494"]People are overreacting. IGN has created an army of Bethesda Haters just because a huge game is having problems on a console. MonkeySpot

And... It's not SONY'S fault that Bethesda released a $60 game without making sure it worked for that platform. You can make all the excuses for Bethesda you like, it doesn't excuse the fact that they sent the game for pressing to disc without testing it properly. If the console was so ****ed by it's maker for the purpose of running their engine, perhaps they should have thought about holding the game back on PS3 until they could make all of the massive changes to the game engine you outline in your post.

The fact that they recognize publicly that the game doesn't run on the PS3 due to partitioning, or whatever else they'd like to pass blame onto Sony for, but put it onsale anyway because they didn't want to lose revenue, or cause any undue stress on their consumers ("No 'Skyrim' on PS3??? OOOOHHHH NOOOO!!!!"), shows a blinding disrespect for the customer in the first place.

Works just fine for me... I dunno why there wasn't the same outrage over New Vegas... Because this is the same exact same situation.. Game is basically totally broken for some people, and works just fine for more people..
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

MarcRecon

If you can, get it for the "other" console.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

DANGEROUS BREAKING NEWS: i have no lags that need to be fixed , i had 100 hours of fun so far and everything is fine

Avatar image for InstantKlassick
InstantKlassick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 InstantKlassick
Member since 2010 • 1161 Posts

I stopped caring about Bethesda about a month ago. I realized the only games I ever bought from them were Elder Scrolls games and upon playing Skyrim, as great as the game is, it's really not that great and definately not GOTY material. So I told myself "Why should I keep buying their games if they won't even work properly simply because I own a PS3 and not a 360?" It suck because I was really pumped for Skyrim and this is pretty dissapointing. I can live without the ES series.

PS: Bethesda, if the patch isn't going to fix anything, why bother releasing it at all?

The_Wild_Tiger

Everything I ever thought but were unable to think of how to say it! Kudos and thank you, I feel the same way!

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts

People are overreacting. IGN has created an army of Bethesda Haters just because a huge game is having problems on a console. It's not Bethesda's fault the Sony divided up the memory pool. It's not going to be an easy fix most likely. When it does get patched it will be huge. I have Skyrim on the PS3 with over 40 hours logged on to it. It's only frozen twice which is great compared to Fallout 3/New Vegas which froze a bunch. The game is not broken it's just having trouble. If you want to complain that they are slacking on it and are terrible developers, put your self in their shoes. Skyrim is huge! There are millions of things inside of it. Imagnine the difficulty it would take to find problems and fix them. Also since the problem is PS3 specific they are going to have to rewrite their engine so it caters more to it. That is alot of work and it's going to take time. And guess what people. There are other problems that run across all 3 platforms. Please just be patient and be happy with what you had. Games have come super long way. Especially The Elder Scrolls. Go look at The Elder Scrolls: Arena then realize how lucky you are. / Rant Sorry that was mostly aimed at IGN. They post an new Bethesda Hate article a week. I'm not a troll but i'm ready to be flamed.josh494
Im sorry but this is just an excuse. Bethesda has been working on PS3 for many years and their previous game had the same issue. If they were unable to fix it for Skyrim, then there is something wrong. I know Skyrim is a massive game with lots of things to keep track of but that is no excuse. They cannot handle the complexity of a game they created, the game has issues on all platforms including high end PCs, only ps3 is the worst of them all. Bethesda is either lazy or incompetent to make a functional game. This is only the lag issue but the game has dozens of other problems, some of which are game breaking, which are on all platforms. Shame.

EDIT: I should mention that I love Skyrim, and that I appreciate and understand the complexity of the game, the content and all that crushes pretty much anything that came out this year. Im just disappointed that it has the exact same problems as Fallout 3 or New Vegas. One would think they gonna be more careful with Skyrim but no.

0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
Well, let's all assume for a minute that the TC isn't just trying to stir things up. Honestly, I want Skyrim pretty bad. But I'm kinda planning on holding off till I can find it for around $40 or less. or until they fix the major issues. whichever comes first. truth to tell though, I might just get it before all that anyway, cause i'm seriously jonesin'.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
This is why it's good to have options. No-one should still only have one platform this late in the generation. Skyrim is on three different platforms.
jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"]I disable autosave, cleaned up my HDD and restart my ps3 ever 4-5 hours and it clears up.. I'm fine with it.. in fact after doing all that the load times are way shorter even! most houses and shops only take a couple seconds to load now.. Yes it would be nice if they could fix it, but hey, when Bethesda gives you lemons, make an elixir of lemonade...

I'm with Cave Johnson on this: When life gives you Lemons, don't make lemonade...GET MAD! Um, FBI if you're listening, that was just a quote and a joke...
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"]I disable autosave, cleaned up my HDD and restart my ps3 ever 4-5 hours and it clears up.. I'm fine with it.. in fact after doing all that the load times are way shorter even! most houses and shops only take a couple seconds to load now.. Yes it would be nice if they could fix it, but hey, when Bethesda gives you lemons, make an elixir of lemonade...

...that's a lot of work to play a game IMO -not saying I wouldn't do it for a series I love (like Fire Emblem) -but just saying that is a lot of effort after buying a major release is all
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MonkeySpot

This is why it's good to have options. No-one should still only have one platform this late in the generation. Skyrim is on three different platforms.x-2tha-z

Says a person who obviously doesn't have bills, a family, and other expenses most regular people have...

... The above statement should receive the Marie Antoinette "Let Them Eat Cake" Award.

MC-Reap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MC-Reap
Member since 2011 • 595 Posts
I think the honest, sad truth that they will never tell us is that it's probably not fixable, at all. Somewhere along the lines they F'ed up this game and it's more than likely something way beyond the "let's just patch it" range. Patches can't fix everything. This game was released broken and there is nothing short of a reproduction and re-release that will fix it.
Lazy_Marine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lazy_Marine
[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="josh494"]People are overreacting. IGN has created an army of Bethesda Haters just because a huge game is having problems on a console. MethodManFTW

Works just fine for me... I dunno why there wasn't the same outrage over New Vegas... Because this is the same exact same situation.. Game is basically totally broken for some people, and works just fine for more people..

All Ps3 hardware are identical o_O , if there is a major issue with a game like in the case of Skyrim, then everyone with a PS3 HAS IT! Its not like a PC where some have issue and some don't...Maybe you haven't reached the game-breaking save file size yet .
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

Lazy_Marine

All Ps3 hardware are identical o_O , if there is a major issue with a game like in the case of Skyrim, then everyone with a PS3 HAS IT! Its not like a PC where some have issue and some don't...Maybe you haven't reached the game-breaking save file size yet .

70+ hours and save file at or over 13mbs.. So I'm definitely far passed the reported save size that destroys games.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="josh494"]People are overreacting. IGN has created an army of Bethesda Haters just because a huge game is having problems on a console. MethodManFTW

New Vegas was by far the worst release from Bethesda(I know Obsidian made it, Bethesda published it). Skyrim, at least, only frame drops so much that it's very frustrating very once in a while, usually it's just minor frame drops here and there. Which is understandable but still annoying(I'm only 13 hours in). This is just poor optimization on Bethesda's part, they know the hardware hasn't gotten any better since Oblivion or Fallout 3, they should have done more to insure the game didn't become busted as is.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"]This is why it's good to have options. No-one should still only have one platform this late in the generation. Skyrim is on three different platforms.MonkeySpot

Says a person who obviously doesn't have bills, a family, and other expenses most regular people have...

... The above statement should receive the Marie Antoinette "Let Them Eat Cake" Award.

Terrible statement indeed. Also a lot of people could afford both consoles, but don't feel the need to have both because so many multiplatform games are released compared to exclusives, and a lot of times the multiplat games are better anyway.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#32 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

So it's safe to say PS3 Oblivion > PS3 Skyrim?

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts

[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"]This is why it's good to have options. No-one should still only have one platform this late in the generation. Skyrim is on three different platforms.MonkeySpot

Actually, Marie Antoinette may not have been so arrogant as some stories have said...
Woe2spread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Woe2spread
Member since 2009 • 280 Posts

i bought it first on ps3. i did get some lag after a few hours of retrying the same dungeon over and over on harder difficulty. it stopped after rebooting the ps3. idk its playable i guess. i played 40 hours on it till i traded it in for pc product, then i took an arrow to the knee...

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 x-2tha-z

Says the person who either has a magic crystal ball or is psychic and can tell everything about a person by knowing nothing about them. I can come to false assumptions too, so here's some about you. You're jealous of people who have things because you once got conned by a traveling circus and now you're not allowed to have a job in any country where there's trees. I fully suspect my statement about you is about as accurate as your statement about me.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

yeah the issue that seems to be causing the problem def doesn't seem like something that can easily be patched it it would have to change the way a core function of the engine works which is usually isn't the type of thing that comes through a patch only tweaks come through a patch. The problem will probably never be fixed and they know that. I just wouldnt hold my breath for a fix.

Yojimbo_559

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Yojimbo_559
Member since 2011 • 29 Posts
In-case you havn't been to the Bethesda forum for Skyrim, they aren't going to fix this game. Their PR people are the only ones responding and it's the same regurgitated BS they have been giving us to keep us calm. They WANT you to wait after the 30 day warranty on your purchase, so don't play into their game, return it. If you already oepened it, go to a MANAGER and plead for them to take it back. If they give you any policy BS, then try explaining that every copy they will give you will be exactly the same. We all know the geniuses won't understand what you're talking about but if it gets you your $65 then it's worth a shot. Go to the Bethesda/Skyrim forum on Bethesda's website and see for yourself. It either can't be fixed, or they aren't focusing on fixing it.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

So it's safe to say PS3 Oblivion > PS3 Skyrim?

ristactionjakso
To be honest, I thought the guilds in oblivion were better. In skyrim they didn't take long to complete and were not as interesting. And tbh I cat say the game world is that much better or more interesting. Both great games, but oblivion just seemed more fun.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MonkeySpot

I fully suspect my statement about you is about as accurate as your statement about me.x-2tha-z

You made an insensitive remark. Get over yourself and move along. I will. Post all you like from here on out, I'm not coming back to read any of it. Enjoy!

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

Come on cut them some slack. Skyrim Is a huge game and would take years to get every single thing working perfectly. I played 50 Hours and their really is'nt major problems i have experienced some lag issues after 5 hours of gameplay and some freezes. But Really their is'nt much to outrage about.

Avatar image for CantusStellarum
CantusStellarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CantusStellarum
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
The physics knowledge required to program a dynamic system such as Skyrim alone is worthy of the 8 hours of work required to pay for the game. Not to mention the artistry involved in creating each texture, landmass, and weapon. It's a collaboration of hundreds of people and likely over 1 million hours of work. Maybe Bethesda didn't account for the 5 square pixel region in that cave which your quest target's body flew through and out of reach. Or that you would run past the murder scene in the alley in the haste of becoming Ulfric's lackey, and now you can't get that house that you wouldn't even know existed without googling and obsessing for hours and hours (both are personal experiences). With 7 million copies of the game in the wild, even 10,000 people experiencing the same problem is less than 0.15%. If all games tested for that 0.15%, games would likely cost more. You played it, you can't return it, be thankful they are patching at all, because for all the griping and moaning from one, there are hundreds of people appreciating Skyrim's accomplishments. In summary, tell Bethesda about your problems. If they do not respond to your liking, tell them about your problems again. If there's still no resolution, tell them about your problems again, because there's one thing i know for sure: nobody posting here can fix it.
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

Come on cut them some slack. Skyrim Is a huge game and would take years to get every single thing working perfectly. I played 50 Hours and their really is'nt major problems i have experienced some lag issues after 5 hours of gameplay and some freezes. But Really their is'nt much to outrage about.

naju890_963
They've been making this kind of game for over a decade and have been working on the PS3 hardware since it launched. There is no excuse for this.
lgp_michael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lgp_michael
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Beautifully said, MonkeySpot. The "release now, fix later" mindset that game developers and publishers have is absolutely ruining gaming. In this day and age it's pretty risky to buy a brand new game (as I did with Skyrim) simply because the game is most likely not finished. And guess what that makes you: a dude who payed $60 bucks to be a beta tester.

Do you guys remember console gaming before they had internet connectivity? Back in those days, what you put into the box and shipped to the public absolutely had to be the finished product. If you screwed up, tough ****. The deal was done. Therefore, developers had to work considerably harder back then to make sure that what they put on a SNES or N64 cartridge was of pristene quality.

The "internet age" is encouraging developers to be lazy when they code and release games. Due to the availability of patches, the final product can be released a year after the initial release.

I would just love to see a company work so hard on a newer game that it didn't need to be patched. And trust me, guys, it can be done. It's been done plenty of times in the past.

/rant

kultrva
OK as someone that actually knows what I am talking about, your statement, and the one you quote, is RUBBISH. I have been a developer in the games industry for 12 years, I have over 20 titles to my name, and you know what, no modern game with the scope of Skyrim can come out without bugs. I have never worked for or with Bethesda, but I have worked on titles of comparible size to Skyrim. You go on about the good old days before internet access when games were all perfect. Well, a) they weren't all perfect, and b) they were a LOT smaller. The average game nowadays is 5-10 times the size of the average game 10 years ago. And bugs aren't neccessarily linear in count to size either, as a game gets bigger, and more complicated, the more chance that bugs will creep in. There is only so much testing that can be done before your game is hopelessly obsolete and nobody buys it when you launch it bug free 3 years late. Because that is a reasonable figure on how long an internal testing team, or even a beta team, would take to find all of the bugs. As I expect you are someone that has never written a line of code in your life, let me explain. When you have 8 million lines of code (which is what I guess is the size fo Skyrim) with a couple of million lines of scripting ontop of that, with 100 people writing the code, it is a LOT harder to manage and get 100% right than it was when there were just maybe 4 or 5 people working on a codebase of a half a million lines. It isn't a case of 'well, if he presses that button, the jump works, now onto the next bit' you have to worry about what if the ground isn't level, what if they hit a wall on the way, what angle would the wall be, what if someone else is falling off that wall at the same time, what if the wall is collapsing, what if they only hit the wall with their feet, what if there is a hole at the bottom of the wall, what if the wall has a door in it, what if that door is in the process of being opened, or closed, maybe they'll jump into the person that opened it, how tall are they, do they fall over, does the player land ontop, maybe that should be based on who has heavier armour, wow thats already complicated, and that is 'jumping' one of the simplest things out there. There are a thousand different scenarios, and a thousand different actions and they can all link together in a thousand ways. Linking those all together you come up with anything between a million and a billion different things that can happen. factoring will make it more managable, but you start to get the idea of the scale of the problem. They did a good job. Not perfect, but not bad at all.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 x-2tha-z

[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"]I fully suspect my statement about you is about as accurate as your statement about me.MonkeySpot

You made an insensitive remark. Get over yourself and move along. I will. Post all you like from here on out, I'm not coming back to read any of it. Enjoy!

I bet he's moving along to GameStop to buy a new console.
tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tommyas

naju890_963
Maybe you are lucky. But would you not be mad about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU7XS__ElRU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL Or this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Cz9zefTW4 This is just bad and no company should release such crap ever. There is no excuse for a game running this poorly. Not to mention the small amount of people who only do singleplayer games and might not even have internet access to get the patches that fix SOME of the issues.
naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts
[QUOTE="naju890_963"]

tommyas
Maybe you are lucky. But would you not be mad about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU7XS__ElRU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL Or this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Cz9zefTW4 This is just bad and no company should release such crap ever. There is no excuse for a game running this poorly. Not to mention the small amount of people who only do singleplayer games and might not even have internet access to get the patches that fix SOME of the issues.

Well you have a point their but look at other developers that make multiplatform games for the PS3. Bayonetta had the same lag problem so did the orange box.
Lazy_Marine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lazy_Marine

[QUOTE="kultrva"]

/rant

lgp_michael

OK as someone that actually knows what I am talking about, your statement, and the one you quote, is RUBBISH. I have been a developer in the games industry for 12 years, I have over 20 titles to my name, and you know what, no modern game with the scope of Skyrim can come out without bugs. I have never worked for or with Bethesda, but I have worked on titles of comparible size to Skyrim. You go on about the good old days before internet access when games were all perfect. Well, a) they weren't all perfect, and b) they were a LOT smaller. The average game nowadays is 5-10 times the size of the average game 10 years ago. And bugs aren't neccessarily linear in count to size either, as a game gets bigger, and more complicated, the more chance that bugs will creep in. There is only so much testing that can be done before your game is hopelessly obsolete and nobody buys it when you launch it bug free 3 years late. Because that is a reasonable figure on how long an internal testing team, or even a beta team, would take to find all of the bugs. As I expect you are someone that has never written a line of code in your life, let me explain. When you have 8 million lines of code (which is what I guess is the size fo Skyrim) with a couple of million lines of scripting ontop of that, with 100 people writing the code, it is a LOT harder to manage and get 100% right than it was when there were just maybe 4 or 5 people working on a codebase of a half a million lines. It isn't a case of 'well, if he presses that button, the jump works, now onto the next bit' you have to worry about what if the ground isn't level, what if they hit a wall on the way, what angle would the wall be, what if someone else is falling off that wall at the same time, what if the wall is collapsing, what if they only hit the wall with their feet, what if there is a hole at the bottom of the wall, what if the wall has a door in it, what if that door is in the process of being opened, or closed, maybe they'll jump into the person that opened it, how tall are they, do they fall over, does the player land ontop, maybe that should be based on who has heavier armour, wow thats already complicated, and that is 'jumping' one of the simplest things out there. There are a thousand different scenarios, and a thousand different actions and they can all link together in a thousand ways. Linking those all together you come up with anything between a million and a billion different things that can happen. factoring will make it more managable, but you start to get the idea of the scale of the problem. They did a good job. Not perfect, but not bad at all.

Umm yeah, and if one of their 100+ developers just played the game on a PS3 for 50+ hours, had their game save file hit 12MB+ they would've noticed that their game is broke :|

For those of you who think the Lagg is "manageable" i suggest you check IGN's articles & Videos on this to see just how "manageable" the lag is :lol:

Also, Imagine Gear of War 3, broken halfway through with 4 Frames per second lagg, Do you know how HUGE of a news that would've been ?? EPIC would probably fire their entire QA team!! This is just as game-breaking on Skyrim ps3 as it would've been on GOW3.

Just cuz this is a PS3 only related problem (an insignifcant release for Bethesda), there hasn't been much Hype about this problem.

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tommyas
[QUOTE="tommyas"][QUOTE="naju890_963"]

naju890_963

Well you have a point their but look at other developers that make multiplatform games for the PS3. Bayonetta had the same lag problem so did the orange box.

I might be wrong here as I didnt play either of those on ps3 but wasnt that "just" bad framerate due to bad optimisation? If so those were at least playable (but yeah I heard of how bad loading times on Portal were on ps3) but Skyrim gets to the point where it certainly is not even playable. At meast I would be unable to even play a game with such performance issues as shown in the two videos I posted above.
Avatar image for Wheelchairbball
Wheelchairbball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Wheelchairbball
Member since 2011 • 57 Posts

Guys this game is magnificent. Those of you saying that this is trash and that they regret buying or won't buy it. i dont get it. What games are you guys playing? Tell me now because if its better than this game or anywhere close, i would love to play it. Thanks.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MarcRecon

[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"]This is why it's good to have options. No-one should still only have one platform this late in the generation.Skyrim is on three different platforms.MonkeySpot

:lol:....I can't get on you for that one Monk. My 360 went up on me over a year, I've been trying to replace it but I just haven't had the cash. Being a new homeowner and having other priorities makes it really easy on how NOT to throw away money.:P