Crisis Core FF7 - Leveling up system

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 mrpear
Member since 2003 • 222 Posts

i need a straight forward answer with proof... is the leveling up system based on luck?? i'm hearing two different things:

1) it's based on luck, you can level up really fast if you just happen to get many 777's

2) it's got an invisible exp counter that levels you up as you progress, making it seem like it's all by chance.

I've tried to test this by letting the first Shinra EPC mission run indefinitely and i've been able to level up a couple times, but i'm still not sure if this is the case because if it is, i'll let this game run while i'm in this mission for hours because i cant be killed. any ideas??

oldvander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 oldvander
Member since 2008 • 295 Posts

i need a straight forward answer with proof... is the leveling up system based on luck?? i'm hearing two different things:

1) it's based on luck, you can level up really fast if you just happen to get many 777's

2) it's got an invisible exp counter that levels you up as you progress, making it seem like it's all by chance.

I've tried to test this by letting the first Shinra EPC mission run indefinitely and i've been able to level up a couple times, but i'm still not sure if this is the case because if it is, i'll let this game run while i'm in this mission for hours because i cant be killed. any ideas??

mrpear

1 is right.

Leon7J7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Leon7J7
Member since 2008 • 738 Posts

To confirm:

sadly but yes the crisis core levelling up system is based on luck, there is a wheel that spins and if u get 777 you level up, it is completely RANDOM.

davidiam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 davidiam
Member since 2005 • 383 Posts
The guide says its both. As you pass an experience threshold, it becomes more likely to hit 777, but it takes the invisible experience to get to it.
mrpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5 mrpear
Member since 2003 • 222 Posts
that sounds about right... i found that after i go and beat a big part of the story, i can go into the shinra training mission, sit there, and let it level me up really fast in a matter of minutes. but if i sit there long enough, the leveling up seems to taper off and i dont get much except energy boosts and extra hp, mp, and ap. i guess you have to advance to an extent before the "random" leveling will let you gain another level. bogus... i like the traditional system better. i miss just sitting in one area and clobbering people for hours to gain xp and levels.
xXxArchSagexXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 xXxArchSagexXx
Member since 2006 • 462 Posts

yea it is based on luck...i like it though lol. Cuz now whenever i get a 777 i'll be like WTFOMGAH!! WOOHOOO!!! compared to other games where you see how much exp you need or something and then it's basically, "1 more exp til i level.....YAY!....", and that's it lol

At one point in time, i was fighting against weak monsters, an ordinary encounter, and i got 777 like 7 times in a row, odd isn't it.... 777 7 times in a row.... i think i remember seeing a "Luck" stat for Zack... won't that affect the DMW?

DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts
It has to be random or why else would I have leveled up in the middle of the fight with Genesis Knight.:|
GatCloudX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 GatCloudX
Member since 2008 • 1459 Posts
its actually both first you need to get your sp bar all the way up the chance part is actually getting all three 7s so first you need to get SP(soldier points/exp)then you need to land a triple 7
haris12121212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 haris12121212
Member since 2004 • 7560 Posts
It has to be random or why else would I have leveled up in the middle of the fight with Genesis Knight.:|DJSAV_101
The minions you beat give exp, therefore level up. According to Faqs and the GAme Trailer Review thre is a hidden EXP counter, once you break it, the next time you got a "limit" it will stop at 777. Anyways I like the DMW very much it's andom and kind of funny, never gets annoying. But thats for me.
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

lol , i think its on luck cuz luckly when i was playing in one of the missions i got 3 777's at a one battle so i liveled up 3 times in a one battle , its actually awesome :D

Final Fantasy Versus 13

kakashi_AnBu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 kakashi_AnBu
Member since 2005 • 1072 Posts
Actually, it is based on luck, but the chances of you leveling up depends on how much you fight. For example (not true, just an example) your chance of leveling up is 1%. Kill a boss and your slot wheel goes up to 5% chance of getting a 777. Keep on fighting and it'll keep going up until you acually do level up. Then it resets.
sakuranoame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sakuranoame
Member since 2006 • 322 Posts

Yeah, it's based on luck.

The DMW is nice, but could be a little annoying sometimes.

KrazyC18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KrazyC18
Member since 2006 • 1535 Posts
LUCK, no exp thing cuz i leveled up twice in one fight and then didnt for so long after
hyschara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hyschara
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
It's really terrible if it all just depends on pure luck. Because luck has never been real fair. Some people have them, some people don't. That's not how people want to play their video games, esp on things like levelling. Item find is a different story. Your level is one of the core variables in defeating an enemy.
joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts
it not so random....
sato_chan81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sato_chan81
Member since 2006 • 43 Posts

It isn't random, there is an invisible XP counter. If it was random, you could fight strong monsters for hours and either NOT level up or level up too many times if you're LUCKY, that is. The limit breaks, sadly enough, are the ones that are random. You will notice that during the times you need it most, it will not come. BUUUT sometimes when you're LUCKY, voila! Leveling up is constantly moving though, just go on to the missions and you'll level up in no time but your summons would only show up around 20 out of 100 times.

But I'm half sure about this, maybe it's a bit random, but also a bit in favor of the player? In gamefaqs.com a walkthrough has confirmed it is not random.

EDIT: So, it's not completely random. Read FAQ here

Credits to Absolute Steve

thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 thebisonx
Member since 2003 • 2203 Posts
It sure seems random, doesn't it? I went up five levels tonight and I didn't even play for very long.
tootergray34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 tootergray34
Member since 2007 • 501 Posts
it's garbage I hate it
sato_chan81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sato_chan81
It's somewhere in between, the formula is cited at the FAQ. Summons and special limit breaks are random.
liljoker555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 liljoker555
Member since 2004 • 112 Posts
First of all, it's NOT RANDOM. The game has an internal, invisible EXP counter, and Zack needs to  reach  an amount of  EXP in order  to level up
I got that from gamefaqs but there are many other sources that confirm that is not random do research before u say comments like its 1. no offense 2 any 1 though
RogueGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RogueGoose
Member since 2007 • 525 Posts

Total Luck... I leveled up two times in the Same battle...

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Its definitely based on luck.. I have had 2 fights back to back where I leveled up.. Though I could say there could be a invisiable counter in the back that makes 777 more LIKELY.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

It's probably a bit of both...

But, more on luck. You'll notice a line of text that says something about Zack's emotions effecting DMW, when progressing thru the story; I have no idea what that's about, though. I'm guessing that when you see that DMW text, the level cap or maybe the odd's increases or something. But it definitely feels random.... just like a real, slot machine. I've gotten triple 7's, died, resulting in the lose of the level up, and it not happening again for 4 hours or longer. So, I don't know.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

It's probably a bit of both...

But, more on luck. You'll notice a line of text that says something about Zack's emotions effecting DMW, when progressing thru the stor, I have no idea what that's about, though. I'm guessing that when you see that DMW text, the level cap or maybe the odd's increases or something. But it definitely feels random.... just like a real, slot machine. I've gotten triple 7's, died, resulting in the lose of the level up, and it not happening again for 4 hours or longer. So, I don't know.

Threesixtyci

When the DMW increases, it just means that it makes it more likely to pull off a limit break.. You will get a limit break later on that can send your DMW level to Heavenly which so far is the highest I have seen.. It goes Normal > High > Sky High > Heavenly.

TrueProphecy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TrueProphecy22
Member since 2005 • 1757 Posts
For one... you need SP from killing enemies to keep your DMW bar spinning. No spinning = No 777 = No level up.
sato_chan81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sato_chan81
That's what the FAQ said. There is no official word on this, but I'm going for the "not totally random" because at times i level up too many times in one battle with normal monsters. Can you point us to your source where it said that it's not random, liljoker555?
liljoker555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 liljoker555

That's what the FAQ said. There is no official word on this, but I'm going for the "not totally random" because at times i level up too many times in one battle with normal monsters. Can you point us to your source where it said that it's not random, liljoker555? sato_chan81

ok i will look at 1 up interviewTabata-san the director of crisis core

1UP: The DMW is very confusing at first, and it's a little strange even once you understand it -- players have such precise control over Zack in combat, but his levels and bonuses are all determined randomly. Why did you use such an unorthodox system, and is it truly 'random'?

HT: In regards to leveling up, it is actually not random. The game counts experience points internally every time Zack defeats an enemy, and once a certain total is reached, a level gain is represented through the DMW. The other DMW effects are generally random, albeit with some mitigating factors. We implemented the DMW system to add an element of luck into the gameplay, so that players who are not that adept at action games would be able to finish the game with some degree of effort. The DMW also provides a distinct feel to the combat system, and adds variety to prevent the gameplay from becoming too repetitive.

here is the link http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3167006

there is more sources but i don't feel like looking them all up again but that is from the director of crisis core himself so i don't know what more proof do u people want .......and if u still have doubts go google it or somethin

sato_chan81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sato_chan81

[QUOTE="sato_chan81"]That's what the FAQ said. There is no official word on this, but I'm going for the "not totally random" because at times i level up too many times in one battle with normal monsters. Can you point us to your source where it said that it's not random, liljoker555? liljoker555

ok i will look at 1 up interviewTabata-san the director of crisis core
1UP: The DMW is very confusing at first, and it's a little strange even once you understand it -- players have such precise control over Zack in combat, but his levels and bonuses are all determined randomly. Why did you use such an unorthodox system, and is it truly 'random'?

HT: In regards to leveling up, it is actually not random. The game counts experience points internally every time Zack defeats an enemy, and once a certain total is reached, a level gain is represented through the DMW. The other DMW effects are generally random, albeit with some mitigating factors. We implemented the DMW system to add an element of luck into the gameplay, so that players who are not that adept at action games would be able to finish the game with some degree of effort. The DMW also provides a distinct feel to the combat system, and adds variety to prevent the gameplay from becoming too repetitive.

here is the link http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3167006

there is more sources but i don't feel like looking them all up again but that is from the director of crisis core himself so i don't know what more proof do u people want .......and if u still have doubts go google it or somethin

That's OK. so it is NOT random. At least that's good. I'm sorry if you thought we doubt you, it was just merely a question for clarification and the sources' location, no offense really and no need to be stingy. It would've been cool if they just ditched the DMW.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Threesixtyci
That doesn't explain why when I leveled up and died, it took several hours of gameplay for me to get that level up back. If the game was truely counting experience points in the background, like that then I should have gotten that same level up everytime during that boss battle, I was dying in. But, it only did it once, on the 2nd or 3rd try... Took me about 6-8 tries to finally figure how to kill that first Summons. Hard mode, BTW.
liljoker555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 liljoker555
lol i did not mean 2 be mean or rude about it.......i just had 2 look for it all over again sorry bout that
Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
I think its both. I mean. The game must have a hidden counter (similar to what Death Penalty had in the original) that charges. After it charges if you didnt leveled up by luck (I too had that funny 3 levels in one battle) then it forces a 777 to lvl up so that you dont get overpowered. But since the counter is invisible, you can count it as luck.
cloudking420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cloudking420
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

there are two things one you nedd to defeat enough enemies to increase the chance of leveling up

but i leveled up 3 time against the first boss fight during the training ;D

cobain112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33 cobain112
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts

Listen People! Its Both!

The whole modulating phase IS completely random, however there is ALSO a hidden exp chart for which every enemy carries a certain exp value. So your all wrong, its both of them. So you might get randomly 777, which is level up but when you have reached the exp limit you'll level up! Trust me it even says in the manual.

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
yes its based o luck i got to lv 46 when i beat the game
eguan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 eguan
Member since 2007 • 47 Posts

you can have enough exp to go up several levels at a given time allowing you to "get lucky" and level up multiple time in a battle..

if you hack and slash and dont give the dmw time to spin ie. very high atk on the sea worms or soldier training

bmsaareagles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#36 bmsaareagles
Member since 2007 • 967 Posts
it is random, but it seems when you need help or are doing real well in battle, that it levels up more
Dogboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dogboywonder
Member since 2008 • 1339 Posts
Although i prefer the gain xp over the Dmw thing its nice to have something different once and a while. It does get annoying every once and a while when it takes like 50 battles to get 1 777 but theres nothing u can do about it but keep killing guys and getting sp.
XprimeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 XprimeX
Member since 2006 • 1148 Posts

I think it is based on awesomeness lol I lvled up 2times when facing genesis lol kicked his butt

iimitgotg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 iimitgotg
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
this is straight forward. it is not luck. if you level up 3 times in a row for three battles the game holds back your level and then boom it makes up for all the exp you have got and levels you up fast. there IS a invisible exp gauge. and think if it was really random, you wouldnt be able to get that high. and the chance of leveling would be really slim.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

If it is based off of an invisible experience system, then how do people level up multiple times in a single fight?

blooddog28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#41 blooddog28
Member since 2008 • 2049 Posts
I think its just luck! Why did they have to do that to us... we would of liked it a lot more if we could just exp level up!
-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts

I dont know anymore. When I played Id sometimes level up twice in one battle and sometimes I would level up for hours.... Its weird.

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#43 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

It's NOT random

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Threesixtyci
Geez... this thread is over a year old!!!!
achilles3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 achilles3212
lmao, i liked tha last part "clobbering people for hours" haha
holy_vink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 holy_vink
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
as far as I know, it's not random. there's an invisible experience counter...but I still don't know how it works...anyway, I never bother with the experience...as far as I played the game til finished, I don't have any difficulty in fighting the enemies, including the bosses...just sometimes they were really annoying...hahahaha...
CoffinD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CoffinD
OKAY GUYS !!! ^.^ Direct quote time. I like an idiot didn't bother looking at the dates of the posts so i ask for forgiveness for possibly reviving a dead thread, ANYWAY: Bradygames Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core - Strategy Guide Written by Doug Walsh "Experience & Leveling Up One of the cornerstones of the RPG genre is the concept of earning experience and leveling up. Zack's level number provides and overall idea of his relative strength at any point in the game. Zack begins the gam at level 6 and can ascend to the level of 99 during the course of the game. Zack earns experience through combat, but leveling up doesn't happen automatically. Even when Zack reaches the next experience milestone, he must still earn a 777 during the DMW's Modulating Phase. Zack can't level up until he has enough experience, but even when he does he must still get the correct roll on the DMW. It's possible to earn enough experience and still not level up for quite sometime because of the DMW. Similarly, It's possible to level up multiple times in quick succession if enough experience points have been earned. The following formula dictates the probability of leveling up at any given time. Those who experiment with different calculations will see that as one achieves higher levels, the probability of achieving a 777 on the DMW acutally reduces. For example, there is a 67% chance of achieving a 777 when trying to level up from 18 to 19, but only a 63% chance of leveling up from level 37 to 38. Probability of Achieving 777 during Modulating Phase: Probability = 20 x (Available level - Current level) x (Available level x 100/current level*)/100*/2,56(%) Available Level = highest level Zack could possibly be with current experience * = Place where the decimal is always rounded down." Walsh, Doug. Final Fantasy: Crisis Core - Official Strategy Guide. Indiana: BradyGAMES, 2007. I believe that's the entire Work Cited. Now the questions is, They give you this formula but how do you know your available level, your experience points, etc. ^.^ i mean...what's the point of knowing a formula? right? But there it is, the DMW leveling system. It is random to a point but the more experience/higher available level the greater the chance of a level up. also the lower levels go by faster than the higher. o grinding hasn't lost all of it's value but it has a little bit to patience and LCK. The systems is alright, it makes sense, but it can be a bit obnoxious sometimes. The game is fun but it needs some more free roam, or rather a section of the game that guides your attention to things other than the main story with out you feeling the story is on the verge of a major progression. and some form of world map that can distract you from the story and get you into the world at the time, etc. More areas to explore like if the doors to all the buildings could open. But it's fun at the very least!! ^.^
ravemaster_866

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 ravemaster_866
Member since 2006 • 407 Posts

It is a luck based level up system. I've betten the game and fought a ton of monsters and only ended up at level 49.