Could digital versions of games have smaller textures?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BossPerson (9432 posts) -

Let's say I buy AC3 on the PSN. The game is obviously going to go through some data compression to make the file size feasible to download.

Do you know of any issues relating to digital versions of full ps3 games having smaller textures (more muddy) because of data compression?

And another question: how does the PSN download system work? Can I begin downloading AC3 of Medal of Honour Warfighter at 12:01 AM the day of release? Are downloads slower when there are many people downloading at the same time?

Thanks.

#2 Posted by bezza2011 (2321 posts) -

i'm pretty sure that if you download the full game you don't lose anything, and they are pretty big download files for games.

for the question on when you can do it, i'm pretty sure there is a completely seperate release date for downloadable games because not every single game is downloadable.

#3 Posted by BossPerson (9432 posts) -

i'm pretty sure that if you download the full game you don't lose anything, and they are pretty big download files for games.

for the question on when you can do it, i'm pretty sure there is a completely seperate release date for downloadable games because not every single game is downloadable.

bezza2011
Apparently, the PSN says that AC3 is available for pre order now and downloadable on release. Whether that means the Tuesday the game is released or thursday (when I think the PSN store usually updates)
#4 Posted by KHAndAnime (13301 posts) -
I don't think textures are the biggest space-hogs. If they compress anything, it will likely be the audio.
#5 Posted by MethodManFTW (25517 posts) -
No, the textures aren't compressed anymore for digital versions. And midnight releases on PSN are very rare. Don't think any of the games coming out this fall have one in the US.