Cool things to do with the PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mackmavs (53 posts) -
I just finished about 3 hours of COD and I am a bit tired of gaming, so I want to do something else. Anybody got any ideas of what I can do with my beloved PS3? Like, you know, customizing it, websites, downloads of content, etc.
#2 Posted by poomonger613 (1330 posts) -
go to allps3themes.com from the web browser on the system and downlaod some custom themes, the're 100+ pages of them so have fun.
#3 Posted by bihboy69 (724 posts) -
remote play, search fr media servers, search for themes etc
#4 Posted by Babylon_ (205 posts) -
turn it off
#5 Posted by theycallmeryan (7222 posts) -

turn it offBabylon_

Lol.

#6 Posted by mr_so_evil (710 posts) -
turn it offBabylon_

#7 Posted by EmperorSupreme (7661 posts) -

I just finished about 3 hours of COD and I am a bit tired of gaming, so I want to do something else. Anybody got any ideas of what I can do with my beloved PS3? Like, you know, customizing it, websites, downloads of content, etc.mackmavs

-Start ripping your CDs to your PS3 (recommend changing the file type to MP3 instead of AAC so you can move it to other devices easily as well, or take your ipod and move all your music to your PS3.

-Install Linux

-Network your PS3 with your PC folders of music and videos

-Folding @ home :)

-surf the web - I like to use youtube on my PS3, much better on my TV with friends

-Download some trailers

-Upload your pictures to your PS3- very nice and makes it so much easier to share them with friends or family.

There are a few ideas for you :) I hope it helps

#8 Posted by EPaul (9906 posts) -

Here what do

-Watch embarassing home videos

-Surf the net

-Watch Deatn Note episodes

#9 Posted by skeletor93 (2 posts) -
well i know of this website wer u can download music straight to the ps3, http://seeqpod.com/m but you have to write it exactly like that. add my psn its skeletor93, oh by the way its free aswell
#10 Posted by scottiescott238 (3235 posts) -

When I am done with gaming with my PS3, i use it in my room as a PC, i can watch youtube and all sorts from my bed :D

It wont be happening soon tho, I have waay too many games to play at the mo

#11 Posted by boom_zenglish (57 posts) -

[QUOTE="mackmavs"]I just finished about 3 hours of COD and I am a bit tired of gaming, so I want to do something else. Anybody got any ideas of what I can do with my beloved PS3? Like, you know, customizing it, websites, downloads of content, etc.EmperorSupreme

-Start ripping your CDs to your PS3 (recommend changing the file type to MP3 instead of AAC so you can move it to other devices easily as well, or take your ipod and move all your music to your PS3.

-Install Linux

-surf the web - I like to use youtube on my PS3, much better on my TV with friends

-Download some trailers

-Upload your pictures to your PS3- very nice and makes it so much easier to share them with friends or family.

Great Ideas!!! I am going to be making up a nice little site soon with video, links, and typed directions for how to install linux for the layperson. Also some common terms, and commands!

#12 Posted by TIGERLIONX (906 posts) -

[QUOTE="mackmavs"]I just finished about 3 hours of COD and I am a bit tired of gaming, so I want to do something else. Anybody got any ideas of what I can do with my beloved PS3? Like, you know, customizing it, websites, downloads of content, etc.EmperorSupreme

-Install Linux

-Download some trailers

i know there is a option to instal another OS, but how it works? u can install windows? or linux? and it will work the same as a pc?
#13 Posted by SonyMarksman70 (1628 posts) -
Watch some videos online. Web browser works for almost all Flash & Tube sites.
#14 Posted by Gabe11cap (1796 posts) -
Watch tv shows or a movie on Hulu.com
#15 Posted by Erik729 (1474 posts) -
Go outside.
#16 Posted by boom_zenglish (57 posts) -
[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]

[QUOTE="mackmavs"]I just finished about 3 hours of COD and I am a bit tired of gaming, so I want to do something else. Anybody got any ideas of what I can do with my beloved PS3? Like, you know, customizing it, websites, downloads of content, etc.TIGERLIONX

-Install Linux

-Download some trailers

i know there is a option to instal another OS, but how it works? u can install windows? or linux? and it will work the same as a pc?

Linux is the only available (with out getting a straight up unix build... and well paying out the bum) operating system that support the cell processor.

It will work pretty much the same as a regular PC, you can surt the web with Mozilla Firefox 3 or Opera 9.5, you can ssh into other systems, you can run MySQL/Apache and turn your PS3 into a decent webserver (the only major problem with that is the limited ram, so it would have to be primarily static if you were to get a large number of users to hit it...) You can use OpenOffice (opensource office productivity suite) compairable to microsoft office, and you can save in Micorosoft office formats so that it can be used between the two suites.  All you need is a USB Keyboard/Mouse.. And well a copy of your favorite distribution that has a build for cell processor, I would recommend Yellow Dog... but that is me

#17 Posted by TIGERLIONX (906 posts) -
wow i really didnt knew that tyvm, but i just hav one last question, if instal the linux, can i still use the XMB?
#18 Posted by Scianix-Black (19295 posts) -
Invite your friends over and grill up some steaks.
#19 Posted by boom_zenglish (57 posts) -

wow i really didnt knew that tyvm, but i just hav one last question, if instal the linux, can i still use the XMB?TIGERLIONX

yes, it gives you a boot option, so you can dual boot. Linux was one of the things that sony was pushing before the launch of the PS3, they were even talking about including a distro with the release, but that idea got scratched about a month before launch. IMO, sony should really start pushing that these make a decent linux box as well... but hey I am not a marketing guy for them...

Anywho glad to help

#20 Posted by Night_Walker_90 (106 posts) -
you could download pain, great game, maybe dress your ps3 up and take pictures if that is your thing lol
#21 Posted by mass_gamer (1 posts) -
Y
[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]

[QUOTE="mackmavs"]I just finished about 3 hours of COD and I am a bit tired of gaming, so I want to do something else. Anybody got any ideas of what I can do with my beloved PS3? Like, you know, customizing it, websites, downloads of content, etc.boom_zenglish

-Install Linux

-Download some trailers

Great Ideas!!! I am going to be making up a nice little site soon with video, links, and typed directions for how to install linux for the layperson. Also some common terms, and commands!

I'm definitely looking forward to your site. I'm having trouble installing linux. More specifically, Ubuntu.

#22 Posted by banderxz (127 posts) -

Get laid!!! loooooool

#23 Posted by Rhen_Var (12422 posts) -

Here what do

-Surf the net

-Watch Clannad seasons 1 and 2 episodes

EPaul

fix'd

#24 Posted by Spoiledgenius (622 posts) -
turn it offBabylon_
LOL like it
#25 Posted by philosophy666 (1171 posts) -

If you download Linux can you play pc games? If so, where can I download it?

#26 Posted by lukas1051 (687 posts) -

folding@home is the biggest scam ever. Wooo, I helped cure cancer! What's my reward... Oh, nothing.

#27 Posted by Scianix-Black (19295 posts) -

[QUOTE="EPaul"]

Here what do

-Surf the net

-Watch Clannad seasons 1 and 2 episodes

Rhen_Var

fix'd

Clannad was awesome.

I cried man tears.

#28 Posted by runekey (697 posts) -

Whatever you do, do NOT install linux. You will regret it.

#29 Posted by p13rp0nt0 (4 posts) -

Here what do

-Surf the net

-Watch Deatn Note episodes

EPaul

i love Death Note with such a passion.

#30 Posted by yokofox33 (29912 posts) -

Play different games? Or perhaps use it to warm up the house.

#31 Posted by jerkface96 (9189 posts) -

[QUOTE="Babylon_"]turn it offtheycallmeryan

Lol.

hahahahaha thats a good idea
#32 Posted by Rush2k (651 posts) -
maybe dress your ps3 up and take pictures if that is your thing lolNight_Walker_90
lol :D
#33 Posted by Zeller-- (840 posts) -

Music, Vids, Themes, Images, Chats to friends etc.

#34 Posted by murg6 (1 posts) -
well you can go to the ps3 store and get add ons there are so many free ones also you can get as many demos as you want and lasly you can go to playstation home and screw around enjoy
#35 Posted by kraken2109 (13075 posts) -

folding@home is the biggest scam ever. Wooo, I helped cure cancer! What's my reward... Oh, nothing.

lukas1051
Because saving thousands of lives isn't a reward at all...
#36 Posted by CZVA (1166 posts) -

just toss it out the window. the thing sucks and there arent any fun games for it. might as well.