Connecting PS3 To Laptop? Please Help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Flam3Thr0w3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Flam3Thr0w3r
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts

Well I have recently purchased a PS3 and I have just noticed that my Laptop ( Toshiba ) has an S Video slot on the back. Does this mean that I can connect my PS3 to my Laptop with a cable like this? - http://www.woolworths.co.uk/web/jsp/product/index.jsp?pid=50867243

Then would I be able to display my PS3 on my laptop screen just like a TV? Thanks!

thageneral3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 thageneral3
Member since 2007 • 1929 Posts
Why would you want to do that :o
Flam3Thr0w3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Flam3Thr0w3r
For space reasons, please don't post if you are not going to answer my question.
laez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 laez
Member since 2006 • 277 Posts
You have to have a video capture card in order to connect it. Most laptop only have video out, not in. No most likely no. There are a few highend laptops sold that have video capture cards as an option.
Avatar image for tombombadillo55
tombombadillo55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tombombadillo55
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
If your s-video is an input then yes you can, if it is not then you can't. You could purchase an external tv tuner which would allow you to do this though. Many have the s video included with them. My laptop has the built in tv tuner and I have connected systems to it. You will not be able to view hd though. I am trying to find a way to do that, if anyone has any suggestions.
ParadiseAwaits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ParadiseAwaits
Member since 2007 • 1410 Posts

Well I have recently purchased a PS3 and I have just noticed that my Laptop ( Toshiba ) has an S Video slot on the back. Does this mean that I can connect my PS3 to my Laptop with a cable like this? - http://www.woolworths.co.uk/web/jsp/product/index.jsp?pid=50867243

Then would I be able to display my PS3 on my laptop screen just like a TV? Thanks!

Flam3Thr0w3r

Laptops will usually offer S-Video and/or VGA.

These are NOT Inputs. These are OUTPUTS. Therefore it is impossible to hook anything other than a monitor to one of those ports and expect it to do anthing.

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts
There is an hdmi input pcie card made by Blackmagic. It costs $200. To use it with your laptop, you will need a magma(?) external pcie enclosure, which goes for like $500. Its possible, but extrememly stupid. Blackmagic currently has no plans for an expresscard version.
ParadiseAwaits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ParadiseAwaits
Member since 2007 • 1410 Posts

There is an hdmi input pcie card made by Blackmagic. It costs $200. To use it with your laptop, you will need a magma(?) external pcie enclosure, which goes for like $500. Its possible, but extrememly stupid. Blackmagic currently has no plans for an expresscard version.mbrockway

So for $700 + tax your set?

Awesome.

The hell with putting that towards a plasma. I'll use my 15" monitor like a moron. ;)

Flam3Thr0w3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Flam3Thr0w3r
Well guys I just got a new Sony Vaio laptop and on the side it had a HDMI port and has a sticker next to it saying " Full 1080p " So does that mean I can hook it up to my PS3 via a HDMI cable?