Confused with DA: I

This topic is locked from further discussion.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

new to the series, played a bit of Origins, but it's been sitting on steam un-played for a while now.

I have logged around 8 hours in Dragon Age: Inquisition, and I understand I have to spread the word of the Inquisition and close rifts and what not, but I do not understand why I am doing all the side quests. It feels like filler that distracts me from the actual game. I've been sent to several different places, before even completing the zones, so I'm kind of lost with the story.

Q: No matter what side-quests I do, are they just for xp? And, does it all tie into the same story or are there multiple different stories and endings depending on which quests I do, where I go, and the choices I make?

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

It's pretty much filler. If you do them you may get items, recipes and influence that's it. It's pure MMO grind.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

It's filler. Exactly as the guy above me has said influence, power, items, and recipes. Sometimes you get people you can have in your party or unlock new shit like salesmen or what ever but overall it's mainly just filler. I was originally trying to empty each area but I've got to the point of being sick of collecting all the materials my empire seems to need.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

As much as I'm loving the game, I dislike how vaguely the main quests are labeled and how loosely tied in the side quests are. This was an issue I had with Skyrim as well. Some love it - it's "sandbox-style" questing.

That being said, I haven't had as much of an addiction to a game in a long time as I have DA:I. Advice: you have to marshal yourself - do side quests WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE IT and ALWAYS return to the main quest periodically. If you put yourself in the shoes of your character, you can figure "alright, that seems important, I can't leave you suffering. I'll help you, but after that I need to return to my responsibilities. The other stuff will have to wait." etc. Makes it infinitely more enjoyable than just wandering around the Hinterlands for 12 consecutive hours doing random side quests and wondering what the point is

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5  Edited By polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@xantufrog said:
Makes it infinitely more enjoyable than just wandering around the Hinterlands for 12 consecutive hours doing random side quests and wondering what the point is

That's exactly what I have been doing. It was fun at first. I was like "cool, I have so many options to be whoever I want to be!" then, after side-quest, and side-quest in the Hinterlands I slowly started dying inside. I do enjoy the main story though, and the cut-scenes.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Yeah, I started off doing that too. Got the tip from someone else to embrace the main narrative and only do side quests as your character "would see fit" and it helped a lot. And now I'm addicted bad :-P

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#7 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

You dont have to do side quests. If you go through the storyline, the game gets more interesting. If you sit at the 8 hour mark in the game, stay in the hinterlands doing sidequests, the game will get boring. Do some story quests, the game keeps getting better. I have over 100 hours in the game in one playthrough and it is easily the best ps4 game I have.