Cell processor question..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jtanga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jtanga
Member since 2006 • 58 Posts
Im just curious about cell processor....which one is better cpu....on xbox360 or ps3?I was looking at the performance of the cpu and xbox 360 is above everything except on streaming floating......I thought cell processor is much better?

pdias_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 pdias_92
Member since 2006 • 295 Posts
Go to http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/power/library/pa-cellperf/
if you want to see the power of the Cell Processor .
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 eclipsed4utoo
Member since 2006 • 10578 Posts
Im just curious about cell processor....which one is better cpu....on xbox360 or ps3?I was looking at the performance of the cpu and xbox 360 is above everything except on streaming floating......I thought cell processor is much better?

jtanga
I believe you are looking at an article from Microsoft. Go to IBM's website and look up benchmarking. Since IBM is the company that built both the CPU in the PS3 and the CPU in the 360, I see them doing all these tests with the CELL and saying how great it is....but is not saying much of anything about the power of the 360's CPU. wonder why? I don't see government defense contractors and medical imaging companies lining up to use the 360's CPU in their servers/products. Yet they are doing this for the CELL processor. that should tell you something right there.
Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Radiozo
Member since 2006 • 2413 Posts
The biggest problem with the PS3 is that it only has 256Mb memory for the GPU. The 360 shares memory so it can use bigger textures for instance.