Can't see files on the PSP when connected to PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kielmaru (7 posts) -
Hello there. So I borrowed this psp from my friend. And I want to install a game there. I already download a game in my PC. Now, I'm gonna install it. So I connected the usb to my pc. Then I opened the F drive, there are folders there like, registry, gps, etc. But I can't find the files that are installed in the PSP. The psps has songs, games, but you can't see it on the F drive on my PC. And the "show hidden folders" is enabled so that's all the files there. And when I looked at the total size of that F drive, it's only 4Kb. In which the memory card is 4Gb. Help?
#2 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -
Hello there. So I borrowed this psp from my friend. And I want to install a game there. I already download a game in my PC. Now, I'm gonna install it. So I connected the usb to my pc. Then I opened the F drive, there are folders there like, registry, gps, etc. But I can't find the files that are installed in the PSP. The psps has songs, games, but you can't see it on the F drive on my PC. And the "show hidden folders" is enabled so that's all the files there. And when I looked at the total size of that F drive, it's only 4Kb. In which the memory card is 4Gb. Help? kielmaru
Registry? GPS? Those aren't regular PSP folders... All I can say is to either update your firmware or get a better USB cable.
#3 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
Are you sure it's the F drive?
#4 Posted by kielmaru (7 posts) -
How do I update the firmware? And if I do update it, will it affect the files in the psp? You think it's the USB cable's fault? Okay, I'll try to get a different cable.
#6 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
Your PSP drive can't be the F drive, if you say you have hidden files enabled and there are still music and videos, then obviously this isn't the same card as your PSP is using. Perhaps you could list the exact contents of your card? There should be folders like PSP, MUSIC, VIDEO, etc. But you know what? I just realized something. To install a game through MediaGo, you don't need to look at it in explorer, it should just be detected through the program. In any case, it sounds like you're using custom firmware to play an illegally downloaded game...
#7 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -
[QUOTE="Granpire"] But you know what? I just realized something. To install a game through MediaGo, you don't need to look at it in explorer, it should just be detected through the program. In any case, it sounds like you're using ... to play an illegally downloaded game...

The content would be on the C drive if you download straight from there... But you know what? (Lol...) Now that you mention it, and the fact that he's only seeing 4kb, I think his computer is reading a certain forbidden area of the PSP, rather than the Memory Stick.
#8 Posted by kielmaru (7 posts) -
Granpire: I'm sure it's the F drive. When you connect a usb on your pc, a window pops up right? And it has options like "open files"? I clicked that open files so thats the correct drive of the psp. Besides, F is the only drive we have for USBs. tjoeb: Yeah. I kinda thought of that too. So I tried looking for a memory card reader to read the memory stick of the psp. But too bad we don't have memory card reader. ;_; Heres the image: http://i.imgur.com/n55mP.png
#9 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
Ahhhhh I know what this is, but further comment would get me moderated. :P What you're doing is illegal, you can't just download games online that you don't own.
#10 Posted by kielmaru (7 posts) -
Ahhhhh I know what this is, but further comment would get me moderated. :P What you're doing is illegal, you can't just download games online that you don't own.Granpire
Wait what? What's illegal? So basically, looking at the files on your psp through the computer is illegal? And no, I didn't say that I'm downloading games online. I just want to see the files in the psp.
#11 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -
When he says "illegal" he is not referring to downloading games. It's what's going on in the PSP that's illegal. Like he said, we'd be in trouble if we talk about it here. (Geez, why does every other thread in here have to deal with it anyway?) But allow me to put it in context. Your friend has installed "something" to the PSP itself, and used that "something" to tell the PSP to read the area of the PSP where that "something" is installed rather than the Memory Stick when it's plugged in to the computer. Probably for his own devious reasons. That's why the computer can't read the Memory Stick and/or why you're only seeing 4KB on whatever it does read.
#12 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -

When he says "illegal" he is not referring to downloading games. It's what's going on in the PSP that's illegal. Like he said, we'd be in trouble if we talk about it here. (Geez, why does every other thread in here have to deal with it anyway?) But allow me to put it in context. Your friend has installed "something" to the PSP itself, and used that "something" to tell the PSP to read the area of the PSP where that "something" is installed rather than the Memory Stick when it's plugged in to the computer. Probably for his own devious reasons. That's why the computer can't read the Memory Stick and/or why you're only seeing 4KB on whatever it does read.tjoeb123

Actually, the opposite is true. What your friend has done to his PSP is a perfectly legal modification to his system. It's downloading games that's illegal. And there's nothing "devious" about the accessing the PSP's flash. Usually, it's done to modify themes or system colours.

Wait what? What's illegal? So basically, looking at the files on your psp through the computer is illegal? And no, I didn't say that I'm downloading games online. I just want to see the files in the psp. kielmaru

Yes, in the first post you said "I downloaded a game in my PC" This means you either downloaded the game online, or you got it from a hard drive or some other storage. Either way, it's illegal unless your friend bought the game from a store, and your trying to download games onto your PC only kind of reinforces that you're trying to play an ISO rip of a game.

#13 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -
Or, he could be buying a game from the PSP using Media Go... In either case, let's do us all a favor and not talk about the illegal stuff anymore. Instead, let's talk of a solution. (Like "Get a card reader" or "change it back".)
#14 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
I know the solution, but it involves use of his custom firmware. I would say it, but I don't trust that this user is downloading games from Media Go. The proof that he's on custom firmware, plus his statement that he "downloaded a game onto his PC", it just seems to point to the illegal activities. Besides, who would buy a game off Media Go for someone else's PSP? Not to mention the fact that PSN access is iffy at best with custom firmware. This thread should be closed.