Cannot start. Correct hard disk was not found.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MercuriosGhost (6 posts) -
I changed out my hard drive, after dwindling my data down to less than 14 gig to back up my PS3 on a 15 gig stick, but when i start my system back up i get the message "Cannot start. Correct hard disk was not found." What do i do about this? I would hate to think i wasted so much money to get this done and can't actually do it.
#2 Posted by MercuriosGhost (6 posts) -
Anyone have any ideas? I would really like to get this working.
#3 Posted by ryrulez (11604 posts) -
What hdd did you put in? Is it in correctly?
#4 Posted by Ospov (3708 posts) -

So it's the new hard drive that's giving you the problems? Are you sure you plugged it in right? I know it needs to be formatted first before you can use it so if you haven't done that then you'll need to. If it's not reading the HDD at all you might've bought the wrong kind or something. If you bought it online post a link to the hard drive so somebody can try to help out more.

#5 Posted by MercuriosGhost (6 posts) -
I put it in the same was the other one came out. It is a 250 GB Seagate 2.5 inch SATA hard drive. If the problem could be formatting it, how would i go about doing that first?
#6 Posted by Ospov (3708 posts) -

Usually the PS3 would say something along the lines of "This hard drive hasn't been formatted. Would you like to format it now?" the first time you put it in. I would suggest putting in your old HDD and seeing if it works, then put in the new one (make sure you put it in the slot nice and tight) and see if it prompts you to do that. If it didn't then you might've got a lemon :( that happened to me with my first HDD, but once I got my replacement I haven't had any problems with it since then.

#7 Posted by MercuriosGhost (6 posts) -
I had my memory stick in and that was the only thing it gave me the option to format. If you're willing to stick around and keep responding for like the next 20-30 min i will try it all over again and let you know what happens so you can continue to provide assistance.
#8 Posted by lil_speedy_rvd (527 posts) -

I think you need to format it to Fat32 on a computer before you install it in your PS3, then your ps3 will format it to its specifications once you start you PS3 with the new HDD in it.

#9 Posted by PStringa (315 posts) -

You also should check that its 5400RPM - although it is not essential, it is the recommended speed for the PS3. The hard drive which comes with it is a 5400 and even if you put a faster one in its not guaranteed to improve load/save times.

#10 Posted by btf504 (255 posts) -

I think you need to format it to Fat32 on a computer before you install it in your PS3, then your ps3 will format it to its specifications once you start you PS3 with the new HDD in it.

lil_speedy_rvd
You don't need to format it on your computer. I swapped my hard drive out for a 320 GB Western Digital HDD and just swapped them and the PS3 formats it itself. Sorry I can't help you further.
#11 Posted by darkman006 (927 posts) -
You need to have an external hard drive with the PS3 system software on it. At least that's what I needed when I swapped my 40GB hd to 320GB. Then when you turn on your PS3 with your new HD in, make sure your external is hooked up and turned on with the system software on it.
#12 Posted by The_89 (594 posts) -

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6176090/index.html