Can you password-protect a PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by biscuits3 (538 posts) -

Hey folks, I'm moving into a dorm room next semester, and to be quite honest, I'm a little concerned about people touching my PS3 while I'm out of the room. I was wondering if there's any way to password-protect it upon bootup so that people can't play it. (Probably being selfish, but I've got a lot of money put into it). I haven't been able to find anything by myself, but if you had any ideas, please share. Thank you.

#2 Posted by whitetiger3521 (4686 posts) -

There is no user password that I know of other than to get on the Playstation Network. So your pretty much screwed man. If you don't want anyone screwing with it then your gonna have to talk to them directly about it or jus not bring it.

#3 Posted by volume_three (2142 posts) -

I've always wondered this myself. Even a password protect for individual profiles would be nice. Pretty sure the 'competition' has that?

#4 Posted by Reptylus (1875 posts) -

Security Settings > Change Password > Enter a 4 digit numerical password.

Then set all the parental control (yeah, sounds strange in your situation) options to Level 1 and check the square on the next screen.

It won't prevent them from starting the system and login to your user profile but they won't be able to use games, videos or the web browser. I'm not sure about install and save files though, but I don't think they'd delete them just 'cause.

The setting is applied to the whole system, they can't bypass it by creating a new profile.

Also, make sure that your PSN password is not saved so they can't log in there at least.

But the savest of all security options would be HTPC (Hide-The-Power-Cable). That's an extremely efficient security system.

#5 Posted by big_boss1988 (1241 posts) -

the HTPC seems fine. although i wouldn't do it if i wanted to have some friends.

#6 Posted by Reptylus (1875 posts) -

the HTPC seems fine. although i wouldn't do it if i wanted to have some friends.

big_boss1988

I see where you're coming from but I believe a hidden cable won't frustrate adults as much as being blocked by parental control. :P

#7 Posted by WolfTheWerewolf (1 posts) -
Hate to be a necro, but i just looked up how to password protect a ps3 and found this. The only issue with this is that the PS3 power cord is also the kind of power cord that ALL computer power supplies use, meaning if someone really wanted to play it and it had no power cord they could just use the one from their PC. (i have been in a computer repair class for about 2 years now and i figured it out by accidentally swapping the 2 cords, the PS3 and the PC, one while i was doing some repairs on it. so all in all the parental control is your best bet for anyone else that reads this thread)
#8 Posted by jsmoke03 (12748 posts) -

i think finding a powercord would be 2 much for someone trying to game. most people just turn it on, but when they cant play they usually turn it off....no one needs to go mission impossible just to play a ps3. now theft would be something i would be more worried about than someone just trying to play games on it

#9 Posted by GTR12 (9197 posts) -

Hate to be a necro, but i just looked up how to password protect a ps3 and found this. The only issue with this is that the PS3 power cord is also the kind of power cord that ALL computer power supplies use, meaning if someone really wanted to play it and it had no power cord they could just use the one from their PC. (i have been in a computer repair class for about 2 years now and i figured it out by accidentally swapping the 2 cords, the PS3 and the PC, one while i was doing some repairs on it. so all in all the parental control is your best bet for anyone else that reads this thread)WolfTheWerewolf

Dont bump 2 yr old topics.