Can PS3 play avi. files? It says data unsupported

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

I know the PS3 supports most data types and I though it supported avi. but I just inserted a cd that has a avi. file and it says data unsupported.

#2 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
Ps3 supports 90% of all formats, i would think so mayb it got corrupted during the process. Delete it and re- back up it.
#3 Posted by Symphonycometh (9592 posts) -
It can play some Avis. Not all. Sadly and oddly enough.
#4 Posted by mkaliaz (1979 posts) -

Most likely your AVI was made with an unsupported codec. As others have said, it will play most AVIs.

#5 Posted by ColdfireTrilogy (4911 posts) -
Some .avis will work. Others within certain containers and with certain codecs will not.
#6 Posted by MusashiSensi (9583 posts) -

I know the PS3 supports most data types and I though it supported avi. but I just inserted a cd that has a avi. file and it says data unsupported.

Blazerdt47
Your sig is 100% hilarious.
#7 Posted by ColdfireTrilogy (4911 posts) -
:P danke
#8 Posted by plg2307 (953 posts) -

.avi is only a container with sound and pictures in it. The sound and picture can be encoded with many different codec, some supported by the ps3 (most of them) some others are not

#9 Posted by NatsumeKonno (350 posts) -

I wish it would play .mkv files. Gets annoying making them to avi.

#10 Posted by funsohng (27460 posts) -
DivX and XviD are supported, and most of current AVI files are made up of either DivX5 or XviD but it doesnt support WMV codecs get MediaInfo by googling (if you can, get the old one. gives you more info), and when you have that installed, just put your mouse cursor over on an avi file, and it will give you the file's info (video codec, audio codec, bit rate, resolution, enabled codec options such as GMC, QPel, etc, and more) so you will know which file you have to encode and just leave it as it is.
#11 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

MusashiSensi
Your sig is 100% hilarious.

Thank you haha.
#12 Posted by TheTenth10 (3035 posts) -

maybe you can use a mediaserver (PS3 media server or TVersity), it will convert the format to be read by the PS3

#13 Posted by shani_boy101 (5423 posts) -

all the .avi's i have work fine on the PS3, they even get upscaled.

#14 Posted by paperdollparade (1915 posts) -

It supports .avi files, just not the codecs in yours. .avi is just the container for the codecs. just convert the file with something like handbreak, it's an easy fix.

#15 Edited by cranfillbaker (6 posts) -

PS3 can successfully play AVI encoded with Motion JPEG (Linear PCM) or Motion JPEG (μ-Law); PS3 will or will not play AVI files encoded with other video or audio codec. That is we will often encounter issues in playing DivX encoded AVI on PS3, Xvid encoded AVI on PS3, WMV encoded AVI on PS3, or other video encoded AVI files on PS3.

In order to successfully play all kind of AVI files on PlayStation 3, a recommended solution is to convert AVI to PS3 more supported video format at http://idealshare.net/video-converter/can-ps3-play-avi.html

#16 Posted by kljohns2 (398 posts) -
#17 Edited by Rossanolove (6 posts) -