Can anyone tell me what the game flOW is....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

memberz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 memberz
Member since 2005 • 942 Posts
What is the game?  I am playing it on computer and it seems pretty fun...
MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 MotherSuperior
Member since 2003 • 3745 Posts
If you have played it, you should already know what it is. What else do you need to know?
memberz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 memberz
bump
memberz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 memberz
No I am playing it for the first time and I dont understand...
JackyBryant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JackyBryant
Member since 2003 • 111 Posts
It doesn't seem like conventional game per se... it's more like an experience in digital programming. It started out as a grad student's thesis, became a flash game, and now is being transferred to PS3. I think it's pretty awesome actually - I'm all about innovation in game design. The PS3 version is going to be fantastic too - with 1080p and digital sound, you'll really be able to get lost in the experience which I think is mostly the point.
memberz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 memberz
This game is just fun and simple
whitey6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 whitey6
Member since 2005 • 1646 Posts
It doesn't seem like conventional game per se... it's more like an experience in digital programming. It started out as a grad student's thesis, became a flash game, and now is being transferred to PS3. I think it's pretty awesome actually - I'm all about innovation in game design. The PS3 version is going to be fantastic too - with 1080p and digital sound, you'll really be able to get lost in the experience which I think is mostly the point.JackyBryant
I'm glad you feel that way because that's what Jenova Chen was really going for. I was talking to him on MSN about his game (something I avoid because he hears enough about it from everyone lol) and "Flow" is a psychological term for when your mind is one with what you are doing, like when the rest of the world fades out and you are really in "the zone". It's really fascinating how much effort and thought went into this game, and the reason its "flOw" and not "Flow" is because it "flows" better with the "O" big. Understand what I mean.
JackyBryant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JackyBryant
That's awesome, man. I love this approach to design, where thought goes into both the content AND the structure, as opposed to just content. This is what you get when go unleash the academic world on game design. I think (hope?) we'll see a lot more of this in the coming years, as the power of these systems increases, so does innovation and thoughtfulness. flOw is one of my top PS3 games I'm looking forward to.
memberz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 memberz
[QUOTE="JackyBryant"]It doesn't seem like conventional game per se... it's more like an experience in digital programming. It started out as a grad student's thesis, became a flash game, and now is being transferred to PS3. I think it's pretty awesome actually - I'm all about innovation in game design. The PS3 version is going to be fantastic too - with 1080p and digital sound, you'll really be able to get lost in the experience which I think is mostly the point.whitey6
I'm glad you feel that way because that's what Jenova Chen was really going for. I was talking to him on MSN about his game (something I avoid because he hears enough about it from everyone lol) and "Flow" is a psychological term for when your mind is one with what you are doing, like when the rest of the world fades out and you are really in "the zone". It's really fascinating how much effort and thought went into this game, and the reason its "flOw" and not "Flow" is because it "flows" better with the "O" big. Understand what I mean.

Thats what I was like and I cant stop playing it...It takes me away...Its like I am in another world..
dan_brouwer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 dan_brouwer
Member since 2006 • 1111 Posts
It doesn't seem like conventional game per se... it's more like an experience in digital programming. It started out as a grad student's thesis, became a flash game, and now is being transferred to PS3. I think it's pretty awesome actually - I'm all about innovation in game design. The PS3 version is going to be fantastic too - with 1080p and digital sound, you'll really be able to get lost in the experience which I think is mostly the point.JackyBryant
I just wonder how much replay value the game will have. Flash flOw is fun to play through once or twice, but it just isn't that exciting. I hope the ps3 game has something extra to catch my interest (aside from looking better and having digital sound).
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts
What is the game? I am playing it on computer and it seems pretty fun...memberz

Copied from Wikipedia:
"FlOw is a Flash game created by Jenova Chen and flOw is part of Chen's thesis research at the USC Interactive Media Division and includes an embedded design of DDA (dynamic difficulty adjustment) which allows players with different skill levels to intuitively customize their experience and enjoy the game at their own desired pace. Within the first two weeks following its release, flOw attracted approximately 350,000 downloads. By the time the thatgamecompany website launched, it had increased to more than 600,000 downloads. The latest version, as of November 2006, was released on April 14, 2006."

well lets say its a Zen Game (new genre) :p
TheYellowYeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheYellowYeti
Member since 2006 • 438 Posts

[QUOTE="memberz"]What is the game? I am playing it on computer and it seems pretty fun...Krigon

Copied from Wikipedia:
"FlOw is a Flash game created by Jenova Chen and flOw is part of Chen's thesis research at the USC Interactive Media Division and includes an embedded design of DDA (dynamic difficulty adjustment) which allows players with different skill levels to intuitively customize their experience and enjoy the game at their own desired pace. Within the first two weeks following its release, flOw attracted approximately 350,000 downloads. By the time the thatgamecompany website launched, it had increased to more than 600,000 downloads. The latest version, as of November 2006, was released on April 14, 2006."

well lets say its a Zen Game (new genre) :p

yeah, pretty much what he says

memberz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 memberz
Is there a full version than the 1 on the internet?
whitey6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 whitey6
[QUOTE="JackyBryant"]It doesn't seem like conventional game per se... it's more like an experience in digital programming. It started out as a grad student's thesis, became a flash game, and now is being transferred to PS3. I think it's pretty awesome actually - I'm all about innovation in game design. The PS3 version is going to be fantastic too - with 1080p and digital sound, you'll really be able to get lost in the experience which I think is mostly the point.dan_brouwer
I just wonder how much replay value the game will have. Flash flOw is fun to play through once or twice, but it just isn't that exciting. I hope the ps3 game has something extra to catch my interest (aside from looking better and having digital sound).

I'm not really sure but from what he tells me, eventually there will be updates where you can play it online with people and just swim around, eating stuff and evolving further and further and further, and if you want you can eat eachother, stuff like that. I'd find that fun.
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Krigon
Is there a full version than the 1 on the internet?memberz
The one on the internet is the "full" version atm, but Sony will be releasing a new version of Flow on Ps store. The new version will include more levels and better graphics as far as i know. Will probably have a better sound aswell.
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Krigon
[QUOTE="dan_brouwer"][QUOTE="JackyBryant"]It doesn't seem like conventional game per se... it's more like an experience in digital programming. It started out as a grad student's thesis, became a flash game, and now is being transferred to PS3. I think it's pretty awesome actually - I'm all about innovation in game design. The PS3 version is going to be fantastic too - with 1080p and digital sound, you'll really be able to get lost in the experience which I think is mostly the point.whitey6

I'm not really sure but from what he tells me, eventually there will be updates where you can play it online with people and just swim around, eating stuff and evolving further and further and further, and if you want you can eat eachother, stuff like that. I'd find that fun.

yea, isn't it going to be able to support up to 4 players?
whitey6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 whitey6
[QUOTE="whitey6"][QUOTE="dan_brouwer"][QUOTE="JackyBryant"]It doesn't seem like conventional game per se... it's more like an experience in digital programming. It started out as a grad student's thesis, became a flash game, and now is being transferred to PS3. I think it's pretty awesome actually - I'm all about innovation in game design. The PS3 version is going to be fantastic too - with 1080p and digital sound, you'll really be able to get lost in the experience which I think is mostly the point.Krigon

yea, isn't it going to be able to support up to 4 players?

Yea, I'm not sure if thats 4 players online or 4 players on the same PS3, but they are all on the same screen so I'm interested in seeing how its going to work out.
JackyBryant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JackyBryant
Seems like it'd be pretty easy to put online... there's not a lot of data being transferred. Versus multiplay seems like it might be a little contradictory to the Zen ethos, but it'd probably be pretty fun. I guess you could argue if it's organism evolution, then it's a dog-eat-dog world.

I really reminds me of the final level of Rez... I'm not sure why, just seems to hint at the same themes visually.
memberz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 memberz
whats the object of this game?
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Krigon
whats the object of this game?memberz
The flash game: Eating the others organism to produce a Zen sound and evolving (making your "snake" longer).
memberz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 memberz
Ok now I see because I am on the part were its a Circle now...
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Krigon
Ok now I see because I am on the part were its a Circle now...memberz
How many hours have you played? :p
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#23 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts
saw the tech demo of it for pc a long time ago. looks like trash IMO. i don't know why anybody would want to buy that game
What is the game?  I am playing it on computer and it seems pretty fun...memberz
memberz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 memberz
I just started playing this game...so 30 minutes....This my first time ever playing this
memberz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 memberz
OC its pretty cool
memberz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points