Can a PS3 work with a computer monitor instead of a TV?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nervmeister (15206 posts) -

^^topic question^^

If so I could save a little money.

#2 Posted by Spy_106 (712 posts) -
Yea my PS3 is connected to my Samsung 2253BW because I don't have an HDTV it must be HDCP Compatiblie you need DVI to HDMI cable and also for the sound I can't remember what it's called but I can give you picture if you want PM me if you want
#3 Posted by nethernova (4081 posts) -
Sure. A lot of monitors have HDMI input now anyway.
#4 Posted by nervmeister (15206 posts) -
Yea my PS3 is connected to my Samsung 2253BW because I don't have an HDTV it must be HDCP Compatiblie you need DVI to HDMI cable and also for the sound I can't remember what it's called but I can give you picture if you want PM me if you want Spy_106
Yeah. Figuring how to provide sound would probably be a little complicated. Feel free to give me some tips on that as well.
#5 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

Yes, and I mainly use my PS3 on my computer monitor, plus I like using it better than my HDTV, and I use HDMI.

#6 Posted by twe1ve_5tones (87 posts) -
Yep, I use my Samsung 226bw. For sounds, I have my Logitech Z5500 connected via optical cable.
#7 Posted by Spy_106 (712 posts) -

[QUOTE="Spy_106"]Yea my PS3 is connected to my Samsung 2253BW because I don't have an HDTV it must be HDCP Compatiblie you need DVI to HDMI cable and also for the sound I can't remember what it's called but I can give you picture if you want PM me if you want nervmeister
Yeah. Figuring how to provide sound would probably be a little complicated. Feel free to give me some tips on that as well.

You're lucky - I found it http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Stereo-Female-Adapter/dp/B000J1H4VI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250696942&sr=1-2

I'm using this to connect my PS3 to my 2.1 creative sounds you know you get the red and white into it and you put it the bass one or where the setup is ;)

#8 Posted by nervmeister (15206 posts) -
For sounds, I have my Logitech Z5500 connected via optical cable.twe1ve_5tones
Do you hook that up to the monitor or to the PS3?
#9 Posted by p4ddym (632 posts) -
You will need a HDCP compliant monitor, HDMI-DVI Cable (10 dollars at most), and either an optical cable for sound or use standard red and white plugs on the avi multi cable. Or you could use hdmi for sound if your monitor has that capability. This will help possibly. http://www.overclock.net/playstation/191028-how-play-your-ps3-through-your.html
#10 Posted by bisonfan2010 (630 posts) -

Does teh ps3 HAVE to be connected to a HDTV?

#11 Posted by Spy_106 (712 posts) -

bisonfan2010
Nope but for a better resolution and graphics in the game ;) you need an HDTV.
#12 Posted by bisonfan2010 (630 posts) -

[QUOTE="bisonfan2010"]

Spy_106

Ok just checking that would have been a major blow to me if it couldnt cuz i dont have a HDTV lol

#13 Posted by Joker1232003 (1567 posts) -

[QUOTE="Spy_106"][QUOTE="bisonfan2010"]

bisonfan2010

Ok just checking that would have been a major blow to me if it couldnt cuz i dont have a HDTV lol

No worries You dont need a HDTV to play a PS3 I had a 15" SD TV when i first got my PS3, Resistance fall of man still blew me away. Get a monitor with HDMI ports, the HDMI can carry both audio and Video

#14 Posted by brandojones (3103 posts) -

[QUOTE="twe1ve_5tones"]For sounds, I have my Logitech Z5500 connected via optical cable.nervmeister
Do you hook that up to the monitor or to the PS3?

You put the optical cable between the Z5500 speakers and the playstation 3.

#15 Posted by nervmeister (15206 posts) -
One other question: How does one hook up headphones to a PS3 and/or a monitor or even a HD TV?
#16 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -
One other question: How does one hook up headphones to a PS3 and/or a monitor or even a HD TV?nervmeister
Hook up headphones on a monitor/HDTV that supports it like mine, or speakers that have headphone jacks like mine of course.
#17 Posted by Joker1232003 (1567 posts) -
headphone jack I image Use a HDMI cable to transfer the sound and video to the Monitor then headphone jack into to the monitor Personaly I use HDMI for video and scart for sound, my scart connects to a headphone jack on my 2.1 speakers Simples
#18 Posted by patriots7672 (3249 posts) -

I believe theres a cable thatconverts HDMI to the monitor cable input but I don't know what it's called

#19 Posted by grand17 (2079 posts) -

I believe theres a cable thatconverts HDMI to the monitor cable input but I don't know what it's called

patriots7672
hdmi-dvi
#20 Posted by patriots7672 (3249 posts) -

It's called a HDMI to DVI converter. You'll need a HDMI cable, the converter, and a monitor. You can buy them everywhere just Google it.

#21 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

It's called a HDMI to DVI converter. You'll need a HDMI cable, the converter, and a monitor. You can buy them everywhere just Google it.

patriots7672
True, but my computer monitor has an HDMI port, so I just need the cable, not a converter, and I'm set. Newer monitors have that too.
#22 Posted by rajb3 (2 posts) -
Sure. A lot of monitors have HDMI input now anyway.nethernova
Hi I have a monitor with hdmi port do you think I can hook that up with my ps3??
#23 Posted by rajb3 (2 posts) -
did you get your monitor and ps3 hooked up
#24 Posted by Arthas045 (5100 posts) -

[QUOTE="nervmeister"][QUOTE="Spy_106"]Yea my PS3 is connected to my Samsung 2253BW because I don't have an HDTV it must be HDCP Compatiblie you need DVI to HDMI cable and also for the sound I can't remember what it's called but I can give you picture if you want PM me if you want Spy_106

You're lucky - I found it http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Stereo-Female-Adapter/dp/B000J1H4VI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250696942&sr=1-2

I'm using this to connect my PS3 to my 2.1 creative sounds you know you get the red and white into it and you put it the bass one or where the setup is ;)

I have this same type of setup for a Set Top Box I have on my PC monitor. Works great.
#25 Posted by MonsieurX (29738 posts) -
[QUOTE="nethernova"]Sure. A lot of monitors have HDMI input now anyway.rajb3
Hi I have a monitor with hdmi port do you think I can hook that up with my ps3??

Yes. Now don't bump old threads
#26 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9563 posts) -
I dont think a guy from 4 years into the pass can help you out now
#27 Posted by ProjectPat187 (1977 posts) -
Yes the PS3 sure can connect to a PC monitor