Buying a Used PS3 slim ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by soren008 (2181 posts) -

is that alright? thinking of buying one on amazon or ebay in the next 20 days

I'm sure it will be fine ? yeah?

thoughts? experiences?

thanks

#2 Posted by Khadaj32 (3157 posts) -

is that alright? thinking of buying one on amazon or ebay in the next 20 days

I'm sure it will be fine ? yeah?

thoughts? experiences?

thanks

soren008

Well, how much are you paying for a used? And is it a 120GB or a 250GB? What information do you have about it? Example: Does it come from a smoker's home? Did they have pets? If so, do you know how to take it apart and clean it? It may sound a little much, but you want quality, and buying a used system can sometimes bite you in the ass. I bought a used 80GB, and was told that the previous owner had no pets, didn't smoke, and took care of it. I opened it up and found pet hair, which can be a real console killer.

#3 Posted by jimm895 (7703 posts) -
It's just like buying anything used. When buying a used car the seller can claim it was never driven over a certain speed and only once or twice a week by a little older lady but the truth is it's been pushed hard by a teenager.
#4 Posted by sonic0491 (2508 posts) -

Just make sure you read the description :S

#5 Posted by Jack_240 (522 posts) -

i wouldn't buy a used system if i were you "maybe a used game, yes." because you never know what's wrong with it.

anyway, my advice to you is never buy A USED SYSTEM.

#6 Posted by LP4EVA2005 (8585 posts) -
ehh i would never buy a used system. but that's just me. but if moneys tight and that is your only option then go for it, i guess..
#7 Posted by MURDA_B (2879 posts) -

i wouldnt buy a used ps3 slim because you will a higher chance of getting the ylod...and what you bought it for and what it cost to send to sony will add up to the amount that a new ps3 slim cost.

#8 Posted by Khadaj32 (3157 posts) -

i wouldnt buy a used ps3 slim because you will a higher chance of getting the ylod...and what you bought it for and what it cost to send to sony will add up to the amount that a new ps3 slim cost.

MURDA_B

Is it even possible to YLOD on the Slims? I thought that was a 60GB-only thing.

#9 Posted by Elian2530 (3658 posts) -
You never mentioned the price of this used PS3 slim? Care to share? Granted it's around $250.. I would opt for a new one. Who knows what happened with this used PS3 slim. I wouldn't pocket a difference of $50 and brand yourself as the bargain-er. Sometimes, it isn't so much of a bargain my friend. I'll elaborate. From personal experience, they have all been terrible when buying used console systems whether it be a PS3 PHAT 60GB, 80GB, or an Xbox 360 pro or arcade. I've been through 4 console systems with the PS3 and 360 and they have all been bad, to say the least. Maybe I have bad luck? Sure, maybe I do. Because of that, I do not recommend buying used just to save a few bucks. In some cases, it may be more than just $30 or $50, perhaps even a $100. But there's always a catch, or something might come around the corner and haunt you and your system later on. I would buy new, always. At least when it comes to consoles/hardware. Not because I'm rich or well-off. I'm not, at all, lol. Far from that. But at the end of the day, I dont want to be plagued with hardware issues and system failures because I skimped a "little." I hope you understand what I'm saying. Good luck to you.
#10 Posted by soren008 (2181 posts) -

thanks - you guys seem to have some problems with it

I might buy a new one then

pet hair you say? what floating in the atmosphere ? or acat taking a nap On the PS3? that kind of thing?

#11 Posted by Velocity (742 posts) -
My 60Gb system was a refurb and it works great. I also changed the paste on the cpu/gpu so I hope I don't get the ylod. But it runs great and I almost had it for a year.
#12 Posted by jimm895 (7703 posts) -

[QUOTE="MURDA_B"]

Khadaj32

Is it even possible to YLOD on the Slims? I thought that was a 60GB-only thing.

All systems have the exact same chance of failure. Slims are having the same problem as the phats.
#13 Posted by Armored_ (186 posts) -

second hand stuff is risky. i just got lucky with my ps2, would never try it on a ps3. no sir,my ps3 is original with a warranty and everything :P

#14 Posted by Young_Charter (19884 posts) -
I got my 250GB used. I put a warranty on it just in case and I let it run over night from time to time to make sure its fine. I remember this one guy I knew made his PS3 run 24/7 for one whole week to make sure it was a good system lol
#15 Posted by gamer082009 (6679 posts) -

Just make sure you read the description :S

sonic0491
Exactly, you really need to read those auctions carefully. They sometimes can be deceiving and will have you at awe at the way they were able to get over on you. Ebay, believe it or not will not help you. That buy protection crap is so useless it's laughable. When it comes down to it, they'll always side with the seller for the most part.
#16 Posted by RTUUMM (4132 posts) -
I would never recomand buy a used console, but I guess you can take a chance with the slim since they are pretty new and dont have any history of problems, but still............