bring back ps3 backward compatibility

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 bluedeathking
Member since 2009 • 493 Posts
really sony you should do this there a reason why i bought a old ps3 after mine was jack. alot of people like me still play and search for old school playstation games. i understand why you remove to make the console cheaper but why not put it back in now since you are selling a 160 g slim at 299.99 so it be nice if you added a backward compatible one too.
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
Then go spend $50 for a ps2. People complained at Sony for the $600 price tag. To lower it they had to remove something.
BakedDank420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 BakedDank420
Member since 2010 • 473 Posts

MY suggestion, buy an old phat ps2 on ebay for $50. Then again, if your looking for PS1/PS2 save files n what not. Buy an older model. Its all you can do. Until they discontinue the PS2 for good, they wont give us BC back. They'll throw it in at a later date for a selling incentive. Betchu muny ;)

bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bluedeathking
yeah but that mean i would have to find controllers and memory cards to go with that ps2. ps1 game dont like playstation 2 memory cards which is going to be a problem too. what they should have done is kept the backward compatible ps3s and just made the cheaper ps3 kind of like the 4g and the 250g new 360 which gave people a choice. but instead after while decide just not to make the ps3 backward compatible which was kind of sad. plus i just cant see why they just dont put back the backward compatible in the ps3 it been a couple years since they made that choice and there alot of people who want it back. when they did took it out it only drop the console down by 100 so if they put it back in it would seem it would only jump by a 100 i assume.
oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

if they make one, are you going to pay $1000 for it?

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

yeah but that mean i would have to find controllers and memory cards to go with that ps2. ps1 game dont like playstation 2 memory cards which is going to be a problem too. what they should have done is kept the backward compatible ps3s and just made the cheaper ps3 kind of like the 4g and the 250g new 360 which gave people a choice. but instead after while decide just not to make the ps3 backward compatible which was kind of sad. plus i just cant see why they just dont put back the backward compatible in the ps3 it been a couple years since they made that choice and there alot of people who want it back. when they did took it out it only drop the console down by 100 so if they put it back in it would seem it would only jump by a 100 i assume.bluedeathking

4 GB is not enough. A lot of games have mandatory install and some of those installs are larger than 4GB. Even for games that have installation smaller than 4 GB would mean that you could only play one game at a time. It's 2010, people should be playing the games the console was meant for. SNES was not compatible with NES, N64 was not compatible with SNES. The DS is no longer compatible with GBA. If you are not going to play PS3 games the majority of the time, why own the system? Yes BC is a nice feature, but if the system is so expensive that no one can buy it, then things need to be taken out. Hard drive is pretty much mandatory for this generation so that is a no go. Blu Ray is needed for some games like Killzone, Uncharted, Ratchet, and so on. RPG's can fit on one disc because of Blu Ray. So you can't throw that out.

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
All Playstation3s can play PS1 games if you didn't know
bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bluedeathking
@paradigm68 I didnt know that. that cool i thought that was only because of the PSN store not the disc? @gamenerd i agree with you and yes i do spend most of my time i had on my ps3 with ps3 games but there games that i miss out last generation or just want to replay with out owning. plus i thought the ds lite still was compatible with GBA games it the DSi that wasnt since they wanted to make the system lighter and cheaper and you still have a choice between the 2 handhelds.
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=37213 Controller included
nickz_fpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nickz_fpk
Member since 2010 • 1458 Posts

I can't believe people still talk about this face facts you'll never be able to play PS2 games on PS3. If you want to play PS2 games go and buy a PS2, A 60GB PS3 or wait for the HD Collections.

chewy130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chewy130
Member since 2006 • 643 Posts

they never removed it, all they need to do is implement a software update so the ps3 can be ps2 compatible. but the reason they dont is for financial purposes beczu the ps2 still sells

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
I would like to play Socom 2 and 3 and CA. Following your guys' logic I would have to buy a PS2, buy a network adapter (if I can find one), run an internet line to the upstairs of my house, and try to find a HDD (remember those?). It would be so much easier for SCEA to just give us BC on the PSN for $30 or so. I don't think it involves any hardware. I don't think it will ever happen because they have a hard enough time getting people to buy games already.... If they give people the option to buy older (better) games, they'll lose out on a few purchases of newer IPs.
N7Espi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 N7Espi
Member since 2010 • 68 Posts

Then go spend $50 for a ps2. People complained at Sony for the $600 price tag. To lower it they had to remove something.hiryu3

They didn't remove BC to lower price. It cost them little to nothing and there's plenty of articles across the internet to support that.

They removed it so they can release these HD collections. No effort and easy money especially when bigger and better HD collections come out like FF/MGS.

BonoBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BonoBoy
Member since 2002 • 587 Posts
still got a ps2 so i'm good...
paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
@paradigm68 I didnt know that. that cool i thought that was only because of the PSN store not the disc?bluedeathking
Ya idk, maybe it was pretty easy for them to throw a PS1 emulator in all of the PS3s, so they allowed us just not use the ones downloaded. Which was nice I suppose.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

they never removed it, all they need to do is implement a software update so the ps3 can be ps2 compatible. but the reason they dont is for financial purposes beczu the ps2 still sells

chewy130

The REAL reason is because people would rather pay Sony money for the HD classics.... Which i also vote for instead of a buggy software emulator which will be at version 1.938 to fix bugs with every single game... Emulators aren't fool-proof or an easy way out for people who want PS2 B/C back... Just buy a cheap ebay PS2 for £20 and you'll likely get controllers and memory card with it.... Not a big deal...

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
I just got a PS2, controller, memory card and SSX tricky for 50 bucks at gamestop yesterday... they are pretty cheap if you really want one.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I love backwards compatibility so much I bought a 60gb PS3 and PS2 slim. Long live the PS2!

N7Espi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 N7Espi
Member since 2010 • 68 Posts

I just got a PS2, controller, memory card and SSX tricky for 50 bucks at gamestop yesterday... they are pretty cheap if you really want one.MethodManFTW

The point is we shouldn't have to pay $50.

PS2 played PS1 games fine. PS3 played PS2 games fine until Sony had the bright idea to release HD collections. We had a feature removed for what?

Xbox 360 plays Xbox games, only you can't play them while connected to Xbox Live. Not that big of a deal to be honest. (Halo 2 is the only game that needs it because you need the newest update. Pre-patch Halo 2 is completely different from post-patch H2) The Wii plays GameCube games just fine as well.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]I just got a PS2, controller, memory card and SSX tricky for 50 bucks at gamestop yesterday... they are pretty cheap if you really want one.N7Espi

The point is we shouldn't have to pay $50.

PS2 played PS1 games fine. PS3 played PS2 games fine until Sony had the bright idea to release HD collections. We had a feature removed for what?

Xbox 360 plays Xbox games, only you can't play them while connected to Xbox Live. Not that big of a deal to be honest. (Halo 2 is the only game that needs it because you need the newest update. Pre-patch Halo 2 is completely different from post-patch H2) The Wii plays GameCube games just fine as well.

360 plays a select few Xbox games. I know it would be nice if slims had BC, but (i'm not directing this at you, just in general) if someone can't afford the 50 bucks to get a PS2, they should probably have different priorities.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

The reality is you would be paying 50 (or more) for backwards compatibility even if the PS3 was able to do it. Who honestly believes the 160GB PS3 would still be 300 if it had BC?

zek-foo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zek-foo
Member since 2006 • 313 Posts

yokofox33

damn you i cant stop staring at your signature...

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
"Go buy a ps2 if you want BC", that's what everyone is saying. Haven't you think maybe we don't have room for another piece of hardware under the god damn tv ? I said it and always say it, removing BC was a stupid idea.
evilmaster2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 evilmaster2424
Member since 2009 • 2060 Posts
why do we have to have this disscuison all the time......someone should make a sub-forum in here for BC nonsense
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gamenerd15

It is funny that people use the excuse that the other systems have BC, when the fact of the matter is that last generation no one cared gamecube at all because "it had no games" and people only played Xbox for Halo, Splinter Cell, and Ninja Gaiden. You can't play original Xbox games right from the start either. You have to download patches and then burn the game to a disc and update emulator software. It's not like you can just pop in games and start playing. Not every game works either. The Wii uses GC hardware so obviously it is able to play GC games. People want the BC but they don't want to pay anything extra for it. People want the BC and still want to pay only $300 for the system. You get what you pay for. People wanted the system to be cheaper, you got your wish. Miscrosoft no longer supports updates for original Xbox games and does not put anymore games up on the store for download, yet they are seen as the good guys. How come sony is blamed for taking out their BC but MS did the same thing and gets off scott free?

JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JuggaloRandall
Member since 2010 • 8213 Posts
Then go spend $50 for a ps2. People complained at Sony for the $600 price tag. To lower it they had to remove something.hiryu3
The SD card readers and 2 USB ports should have sufficed. PS2 ain't gonna upscale on a HD tv very well. Plus PS2's are so old they are just gettin un reliable. And wasn't the PS3 supposed to be 3 consoles in 1? That was a pretty powerful gimmick. But because Sony is still making money on the PS2 console they won't do it. So people should just stop buying new PS2's! Can't believe people still sport one. Mine's collecting dust. 80gb B/C console solves the problem ;)
JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JuggaloRandall
Member since 2010 • 8213 Posts

It is funny that people use the excuse that the other systems have BC, when the fact of the matter is that last generation no one cared gamecube at all because "it had no games" and people only played Xbox for Halo, Splinter Cell, and Ninja Gaiden. You can't play original Xbox games right from the start either. You have to download patches and then burn the game to a disc and update emulator software. It's not like you can just pop in games and start playing. Not every game works either. The Wii uses GC hardware so obviously it is able to play GC games. People want the BC but they don't want to pay anything extra for it. People want the BC and still want to pay only $300 for the system. You get what you pay for. People wanted the system to be cheaper, you got your wish. Miscrosoft no longer supports updates for original Xbox games and does not put anymore games up on the store for download, yet they are seen as the good guys. How come sony is blamed for taking out their BC but MS did the same thing and gets off scott free?

gamenerd15
I never had an issue playing Xbox games on my Xbox 360, plus, you can download the patches for the games right off of Xbox.com I believe.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gamenerd15

[QUOTE="hiryu3"]Then go spend $50 for a ps2. People complained at Sony for the $600 price tag. To lower it they had to remove something.JuggaloRandall
The SD card readers and 2 USB ports should have sufficed. PS2 ain't gonna upscale on a HD tv very well. Plus PS2's are so old they are just gettin un reliable. And wasn't the PS3 supposed to be 3 consoles in 1? That was a pretty powerful gimmick. But because Sony is still making money on the PS2 console they won't do it. So people should just stop buying new PS2's! Can't believe people still sport one. Mine's collecting dust. 80gb B/C console solves the problem ;)

How would romoval of slots decrease the cost by a large margin? PS2 backward compatibility was first done by hardware and then Sony reduced the costs by making the BC emulated. All the old European PS3's have emulated PS2 BC. Removal of ports isn't going to make anything that much more affordable. It is funny how people complain about PS2 BC being removed, but then what would they have done to lower the cost if BC would have been kept? Hard drive space is needed to install games and Blu ray is needed for fitting games onto one disc and for high end games like Heavy Rain, Killzone, Uncharted, and Metal Gear Solid. Could those games have been done on regular DVD disc? I don't know. But I wouldn't want killzone's singleplayer to take up 2 or so discs and then another disc for multiplayer. Uncharted 2 would have to be like 3 discs. I would rather have a company focus on making the current generation as great as can be than to cut corners in order to keep BC.

bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bluedeathking
gamenerd adding bc wont take away from those game since those are made by 2nd party developers. alot of people like playing older games that why microsoft and nintendo put up stuff like the virtual console and xbox orginals. puting back bc would let people play their old game that aren't downloadable like RECVX or MGS3.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

Mine still has backwards compatibility! Muahahahahaha!:twisted:

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
I'd rather Sony Focus on Current Gen rather than worrying about the minority of people who want BC
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
no,no,no if they add the B/C again then the price jumps back up $100 or more. Go buy a PS2 or heres a thought, why did you buy a PS3 in the 1st place, to play PS2 games? When i bought my PS3 (yes it is a B/C model) i sold my PS2 and all the Games, I have not played a PS2 game, other than remakes, since i got my PS3.
Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
I guess it would be nice, but honestly, I didn't pay 400.00+ for a PS3 system to play PS2 games. I don't mind the PS3 not being BC because I want step forward in technology, not a step back. Sure, the old times were fun but those times are over. We have enough remakes and sequels as it is and if I want to re-live the glory days then I will go buy a ps2.
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
I've never understood the demand for BC. That's why we have emulators! Not only can you play your favorite old games, but you can even improve the graphics and abuse savestates. And if you're ever feeling oldskool, just keep an old tube TV around with your old consoles attached to it. It'll get your nostalgia flowing good :)
evilmaster2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 evilmaster2424
can a mod make a sub-forum for all BC complaints and other nonsense related to it
RogueShodown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RogueShodown
Member since 2009 • 2818 Posts
I doubt the removal of BC from the PS3 lowered its manufacturing cost by much, if at all. They most likely did it because it was cannibalizing their steady PS2 console sales and because they weren't selling as many PS3s as they had hoped.
evilmaster2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 evilmaster2424
you know what i dont understand. if you but in a ps2 disc it recognizes that its a ps2 disc. witch means that the software for a ps2 is still there but sony has blocked it with the firmware updates
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
you know what i dont understand. if you but in a ps2 disc it recognizes that its a ps2 disc. witch means that the software for a ps2 is still there but sony has blocked it with the firmware updatesevilmaster2424
seriously? its a DVD disk thats why it recognizes it.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
thats what u get for selling ur ps2... and if u never had a ps2...then why are u complaining, go buy one.
PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#40 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

I guess it would be nice, but honestly, I didn't pay 400.00+ for a PS3 system to play PS2 games. I don't mind the PS3 not being BC because I want step forward in technology, not a step back. Sure, the old times were fun but those times are over. We have enough remakes and sequels as it is and if I want to re-live the glory days then I will go buy a ps2.Ninja_Zombie83
no,no,no if they add the B/C again then the price jumps back up $100 or more. Go buy a PS2 or heres a thought, why did you buy a PS3 in the 1st place, to play PS2 games? When i bought my PS3 (yes it is a B/C model) i sold my PS2 and all the Games, I have not played a PS2 game, other than remakes, since i got my PS3.jcopp72

Here, here to the both of you on those points. I couldn't agree more. I brought my system not for playing old games (as fun and wonderful those time were) I bought them w/ the prospect of what was to come. And for the over 4 yrs or so I've had mines I never really wish for BC that much. My PS2 is still functional and if I choose (when the mood strikes me) I fire it up to play a few games.

As someone said and I've said it numerous time in other places as well (and agree), for those still griping about BC how bout you tell Sony to quit producing PS2s and retire manufacturing them b/c that's the only way you will see BC implemented back into PS3s. Simple as that.

supermichael11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 supermichael11
Member since 2008 • 419 Posts

Just curious I know I could be wrong but, isn't the PS2 over? I mean in shops they no longer buy PS2 games from people or console. Are there any PS2 games being released on the PS2?

If PS2 are no longer made or no new games are being made, then its the perfect time to make PS3 backward compatible for PS2 games.

Europe never ever got the PS3 60Gb with emtion engine so we european had worse backward compatible than USA and Japan.

bigmouthkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#42 bigmouthkid
Member since 2006 • 3425 Posts

If they don't bring back PS2 BC then they should put in a PS2 classics section like they did with the PS1 whether the games are HD or not and keep updating it.

robertmac_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 robertmac_33
Member since 2004 • 849 Posts

BC wont come back. Sony and game devs can make far more money by re-releasing Classics in HD, Such as GoW 1&2, Prince of Persia trilogy, Sly Racoon etc

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts

Just curious I know I could be wrong but, isn't the PS2 over? I mean in shops they no longer buy PS2 games from people or console. Are there any PS2 games being released on the PS2?

If PS2 are no longer made or no new games are being made, then its the perfect time to make PS3 backward compatible for PS2 games.

Europe never ever got the PS3 60Gb with emtion engine so we european had worse backward compatible than USA and Japan.

supermichael11

I just sold a ton of PS2 games to Gamestop, so I know they still take them. I don't see anything new coming out for it, though.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I tried playing my PS2 on a 46" samsung hdtv and it was unplayable. Everything was so blurry with burnout: takedown. Does all ps2 games look terrible on 46" hdtvs? That is also something to consider nowadays as people have large hdtvs. I dont even know if ps2 is playable on 40" hdtv. How does a PS2 game look on a 40" hdtv?

I am guessing the ps2 games need to be "HD" to play on hdtvs and not look so blurry.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#46 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

[QUOTE="supermichael11"]

MrSelf-Destruct

I just sold a ton of PS2 games to Gamestop, so I know they still take them. I don't see anything new coming out for it, though.

Yeah, I'm sure they continue taking them for certain period of time until they prove to have no more saleability, then they'll probably stop. But from my knowledge I don't think there's been any new releases, as of late. And if they truly have stopped production on them then I'd say that might open the door in the future for a PS2 store to show up on the PSN.