This topic is locked from further discussion.

jdeltaarrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jdeltaarrow
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I just won a PS3 with 250GB memory off of ebay. No games So I am looking for help in selecting a few. I am 58... favorite games are World of Tanks and Doom ...first person shooters and strategy games I am looking for historical type say WW2, Civil War DOOM interested in Walking Dead (love the show) a good NCAA football (Alabama alum) and some of the old arcade types like Centipedes, Donkey Kong, Frogger and Pac Man thanks for your help
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts
[QUOTE="jdeltaarrow"]I just won a PS3 with 250GB memory off of ebay. No games So I am looking for help in selecting a few. I am 58... favorite games are World of Tanks and Doom ...first person shooters and strategy games I am looking for historical type say WW2, Civil War DOOM interested in Walking Dead (love the show) a good NCAA football (Alabama alum) and some of the old arcade types like Centipedes, Donkey Kong, Frogger and Pac Man thanks for your help

If you like Doom, I'd highly suggest RAGE; whilst it's short and the ending leaves a lot to be desired, the gameplay is fantastic. I'd highly suggest downloading The Walking Dead season pass, as you mentioned you like the show. There are loads of old classic arcade games on the PS Store, so check them out when you get your system. Call of Duty classic and Medal of Honor frontline sound like they might be up your street; they're also on the PS Store to download. XCOM: Enemy Unknown recently came out, it's a futuristic sci-fi strategy game if you're interested in that kind of thing; you can customise your soldiers in an extremely detailed way. I'm gonna get it soon I reckon. For your historical fix, the Assassin's Creed series should supplement that; it's not 100% historically accurate but tbh not many things are!
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Welcome to the darkside.. young man.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#4 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I just won a PS3 with 250GB memory off of ebay. No games So I am looking for help in selecting a few. I am 58... favorite games are World of Tanks and Doom ...first person shooters and strategy games I am looking for historical type say WW2, Civil War DOOM interested in Walking Dead (love the show) a good NCAA football (Alabama alum) and some of the old arcade types like Centipedes, Donkey Kong, Frogger and Pac Man thanks for your helpjdeltaarrow
If you like FPS then I would reccomend the Killzone HD collections. You like Donkey Kong so get Rayman Origins. You like strategy games then get Valkyria Chronicles (it's a third person shooter, strategy game with a focused story set in a Nazi WW2 type time period)

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#5 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Welcome to the PS3 family.

If you like older arcade games, you should check out Namco Esssentials from PSN for $10.00.

Another old arcade option is Midway Arcade Origins - it sells for $30.00 and just came out.

A nice simple game that I recommend is Bowling 3D, it's available from PSN for around $5.00.

If you like pinball, try Pinball Arcade from PSN - there's a demo, it's pretty sweet.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Brothers In Arms: Hells Highway, Medal of Honor Airbourne, and Call of Duty World at War are the best WWII FPS. The Walking Dead is a good game. And I'd go with NCAA 11 or 12.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Also check out Doom BFG edition. It just came out and you can usually find it for $30 in the stores right now. It has Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, and Doom 3 - Resurrection of Evil (add on), and some new levels called the Lost Levels. A heck of a deal for $30.

I'd also recommend checking out Uncharted and Uncharted 2. Not really war themed, but great games. Probably the best shooters on the PS3. Both can be bought in the Uncharted Dual pack for like $20 if you look around.

By the way are you from Massachusetts? You sound like someone I know.

Nophoria88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Nophoria88
Member since 2010 • 410 Posts
Don't forget to check out the HD collections if you're interested in any games you might have missed last gen.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Strategy games, you cannot beat:

"RUSE" - WWII alternate-universe kind of game that borrows from history a bit and makes the rest up. Controls wonderfully with a controller (a lot of strat fans say gamepad control is not viable, this game stands as testimony that it DOES).

"Tom Clancy's EndWar" - Strat game with controller as well as voice command that works VERY well. Get yourself a cheap headset for full effect, but the game works well without one too.

"Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3" - Good luck finding it, but if you do, it's a ton of fun.

PSN also has "Risk: Factions" which takes an old game and updates it with a lot of new toys, or you can play the old-school version as well.

For arcade, get "NAMCO Essentials", "Sega Collection", or the aforementioned recent "Williams Arcade Origins" which has Defender, Stargate, Joust, Wizard of Wor, and on and on and on...

"DOOM 3: BFG Edition" has "DOOM I & II" as well as the much-harangued version of "DOOM 3"... I guess there are a limited amount of button-mappings, and people were crying about the various things the old version had that this new HD version doesn't in terms of control options. I'm a DOOM freak, but I haven't gotten this one yet so I can't testify on anything.

Look into those strategy games, especially "RUSE"... I'm betting you will love "RUSE".

:)

jdeltaarrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jdeltaarrow

Also check out Doom BFG edition. It just came out and you can usually find it for $30 in the stores right now. It has Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, and Doom 3 - Resurrection of Evil (add on), and some new levels called the Lost Levels. A heck of a deal for $30.

I'd also recommend checking out Uncharted and Uncharted 2. Not really war themed, but great games. Probably the best shooters on the PS3. Both can be bought in the Uncharted Dual pack for like $20 if you look around.

coasterguy65
No Dallas..but he must be a pretty cool guy.....LOL
jdeltaarrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jdeltaarrow
Oh, and thnks to all for your informatin. Greatly appreciated and gives me many places to look
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

coasterguy65

A bit of stuff to correct here:

1. They're action adventures, not shooters
2. There already is a Trilogy Version with all three games included for the price of 60 - 70 euro around here. So you basically only play for 3 and a tiny bit, less than 20 for the other two ^^

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonkeySpot

"Uncharted" is one of those series which I think everyone can love, and everyone should try... It's got something for every gamer, and they're even fun to watch, for those who have family members who aren't interested in games. They make a great "movie" as well... Fun characters, beautiful graphics, top-notch voice acting. It's the Full Package.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
Birds of Steel. (WW2 flight/combat sim) If you like Doom, might as well get Doom 3 BFG Heavy Rain also might be interesting for you. There is also Pacman championship edition DX (downloadable pac-man game)
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Look under the PS3 game section. You will find a History Channel War game for the PS3. It is a old school RTS you may like that. PSN has plenty of old school arcade games. Military Madness may be a hidden gem you will enjoy. Gamespot does have a O.K search engine of sorts for the kinds of PS3 games you want. You will be able to filter your results. There is around 30 games on PS3 or PSN you may like.

By the way welcome to Playstation 3.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonkeySpot

Birds of Steel. (WW2 flight/combat sim) If you like Doom, might as well get Doom 3 BFG Heavy Rain also might be interesting for you. There is also Pacman championship edition DX (downloadable pac-man game)2Chalupas

Oh-Yeah... Game is 20 shades of AWESOME! BoS and "IL*2 Sturmovik" are a few of my favorite games for the platform. Those two games, and the "Blazing Angels" games, all rock. "Air Conflicts" and "Damage Inc" not so much, but those four games (BoS, Sturmovik, and Blazing Angels 1 & 2), my idea of a good time!

:D

"Angels" is a little more to the arcade side of things, and BoS/ Sturmovik can be set to throw-your-controller realistically hard... GREAT games.

jdeltaarrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jdeltaarrow

[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]Birds of Steel. (WW2 flight/combat sim) If you like Doom, might as well get Doom 3 BFG Heavy Rain also might be interesting for you. There is also Pacman championship edition DX (downloadable pac-man game)MonkeySpot

Oh-Yeah... Game is 20 shades of AWESOME! BoS and "IL*2 Sturmovik" are a few of my favorite games for the platform. Those two games, and the "Blazing Angels" games, all rock. "Air Conflicts" and "Damage Inc" not so much, but those four games (BoS, Sturmovik, and Blazing Angels 1 & 2), my idea of a good time!

"Angels" is a little more to the arcade side of things, and BoS/ Sturmovik can be set to throw-your-controller realistically hard... GREAT games.

Im a beta tester for World of Warplanes, so kinda have an airplane game..really bad at it too......lol, so probably won't spend any money going down that path. Got my tank game so looking for infantry historical and futuristic..an old arcade games I grew up with
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MonkeySpot

Im a beta tester for World of Warplanes, so kinda have an airplane game..really bad at it too......lol, so probably won't spend any money going down that path. Got my tank game so looking for infantry historical and futuristic..an old arcade games I grew up withjdeltaarrow

Very cool!

That game is sort of my dream game, as described... Although I gotta say I'm always better at clocking the AI pilots than a real one. But I have SOME skills. WWII is my historic passion, and specifically the air wars of each theater... The engineering that went into ALL of the aircraft in WWII was amazing, and the men who flew for all sides have my respect and eternal admiration. WWII was the last war where the code of the knights was still in play; It was man & machine, and they fought with honor... Respect was given where it was due.

I salute you, sir, for helping to rid the World of Warplanes from bugs so that someday, green recruits like myself might suit up and sit in the cockpit of history's most elegant and deadly birds... I would LOVE to hear more about it if you don't have a gag order on you about the game... We should PM, as that would take us OT here and some people bristle at it more than others... But I would certainly love to know your mind & hear some of the details on that game!

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 coasterguy65

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

Justforvisit

2. There already is a Trilogy Version with all three games included for the price of 60 - 70 euro around here. So you basically only play for 3 and a tiny bit, less than 20 for the other two ^^

Seriously? Yeah well you can call them what you want, but the majority of the game is spent shooting things. Basically they are Third Person Shooters with some climbing and some platforming sections. However, if it makes you feel like you are not playing a shooter to call them Action Adventure...that's fine too.

No trilogy version in the states yet. Dual Pack is the only way to go. Well Dual pack and UC3 stand alone if you want all 3 games.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 coasterguy65

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

jdeltaarrow

No Dallas..but he must be a pretty cool guy.....LOL

Yeah he is. Sort of lost contact with him after I moved. I was hoping to re-connect.

Enjoy your PS3.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

coasterguy65

Seriously? Yeah well you can call them what you want, but the majority of the game is spent shooting things. Basically they are Third Person Shooters with some climbing and some platforming sections. However, if it makes you feel like you are not playing a shooter to call them Action Adventure...that's fine too.

No trilogy version in the states yet. Dual Pack is the only way to go. Well Dual pack and UC3 stand alone if you want all 3 games.

While I agree about the base mechanics making the game a TPS, there's something about the "Uncharted" series which makes it feel trancendant to the shooter genre. I feel the same way about "Tomb Raider", although at the heart of it, it's a TPS. Perhaps it's all the character development throughout the game, and the cinematic quality of the writing and the acting that takes it out of the realm of say, "Vanquish", which is a great TPS with very little else going for it...

... "Uncharted" is a pretty special series, in my opinion, and i hesitate to lump it in with other TPS when discussing it with someone who hasn't played it. It's like, the series doesn't deserve a black eye for it's base mechanics, y'know wha-am-sayin?

"Uncharted" is in a class with "BioShock" and a few other games, where they rise above the trappings of their mechanics to become something "more".

OldSnakePS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 OldSnakePS3
Member since 2012 • 306 Posts
Welcome and be sure to get these games (theyre pretty cheap now) MGS4 Demon's Souls (and dark souls) Uncharted 1-3 God of War 3 InFamous Killzone 2,3 Resistance 1-3 Heavenly Sword Heavy Rain Journey Little Big planet Gran Turismo 5 MotorStorm Twisted Metal Starhawk /warhawk Get ready for: The Last of Us Beyond: Two Souls God of War Ascension The Last Guardian Sly 4 hopefully Agent and FF vs 13