Big Boss vs. Solid Snake

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mjk_1 (13923 posts) -

If you haven't played the 3rd or 4th MGS game then I would advise you not to read anything in this topic... Anyway, who do you think is better in combat? Who do you like more?

#2 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -
Solid snake
#3 Posted by KH-mixerX (5703 posts) -
As much as I love Solid Snake, there is no way he could beat Big Boss in CQC.
#4 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -
didn't he beat him two times?
#5 Posted by sa10kun (4290 posts) -

As much as I love Solid Snake, there is no way he could beat Big Boss in CQC.KH-mixerX

He could by [spoiler] giving him the foxdie virus. =P [/spoiler]

#6 Posted by KH-mixerX (5703 posts) -

didn't he beat him two times?lbjkurono23

Uhh...when did this happen?

#7 Posted by sa10kun (4290 posts) -

[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]didn't he beat him two times?KH-mixerX

Mg 1 and 2 ?

#8 Posted by mjk_1 (13923 posts) -

By the way, my vote was for Big Boss

Yeah I don't recall... This wasn't in any PSP games was it?

#9 Posted by avataraang1 (5436 posts) -

Metal Gear 1 and 2. And it would be Big boss. I mean are you guys forgetting [spoiler] The ending of MGS4 he Cqc's snake and hes like 109238 years old as well [/spoiler]
#11 Posted by lovetheblindone (1733 posts) -

Solid Snake
[spoiler] I mean come on, Solid Snake defeated Big Boss with a aerosol can and lighter in Metal Gear II. [/spoiler]

#12 Posted by AgentH (4636 posts) -
My favorite character in the Metal Gear franchise is none other than Solid Snake. Snake suffered alot and been through alot of situations and is himself a badass character comparing to Big Boss. I don't know if it's in the genes or because he's a clone but I like the fact that Snake shows no sign of emotions, fear or giving up when he's in the worst situations ever, MGS4 is the perfect proof. Big Boss however who isn't a clone or genetically enhanced does show signs of emotions, the best example would have to be MGS3, in the ending when he let a tear fall when saluting The Boss' grave. When did we ever see Snake crying? Never. Now in terms of power and who would win in fist fights. Well it's obvious that Big Boss would have the upper hand.
#13 Posted by avataraang1 (5436 posts) -

My favorite character in the Metal Gear franchise is none other but Solid Snake. Snake suffered alot and been through alot of situations and is himself a badass character comparing to Big Boss. I don't know if it's in the genes or because he's a clone but I like the fact that Snake shows no sign of emotions, fear or giving up when he's in the worst situations ever, MGS4 is the perfect proof. Big Boss however who isn't a clone or genetically enhanced does show signs of emotions, the best example would have to be MGS3, in the ending when he let a tear fall when saluting The Boss' grave. When did we ever see Snake crying? Never. Now in terms of power and who would win in fist fights. Well it's obvious that Big Boss would have the upper hand. AgentH
Lets talk about big boss and Snakes suffering. Ill do big boss you do snake,.

[spoiler] Broken arm, shot in the eye, tortured by being shocked with thousands of volts of electricity, Killed his mentor (Mother figure),Killed more war buddies of his, heart broken like twice ( Cant remember if girl from PO had any feelings ) , Lost many men who served under him, Betrayed by best friend, Killed twice (Lets see you endure that) [/spoiler]

#14 Posted by king23_ (18170 posts) -
I remember there was a thread exactly like this a while back. Anyway my vote goes for Solid Snake because even though Big Boss is an awesome character Solid Snake is the main character of the MGS franchise therefore I like him more than I do Big Boss.
#15 Posted by mjk_1 (13923 posts) -

I remember there was a thread exactly like this a while back. Anyway my vote goes for Solid Snake because even though Big Boss is an awesome character Solid Snake is the main character of the MGS franchise therefore I like him more than I do Big Boss.king23_

Does that mean Raiden is your favorite character in MGS2?

#16 Posted by AgentH (4636 posts) -

[QUOTE="AgentH"]My favorite character in the Metal Gear franchise is none other but Solid Snake. Snake suffered alot and been through alot of situations and is himself a badass character comparing to Big Boss. I don't know if it's in the genes or because he's a clone but I like the fact that Snake shows no sign of emotions, fear or giving up when he's in the worst situations ever, MGS4 is the perfect proof. Big Boss however who isn't a clone or genetically enhanced does show signs of emotions, the best example would have to be MGS3, in the ending when he let a tear fall when saluting The Boss' grave. When did we ever see Snake crying? Never. Now in terms of power and who would win in fist fights. Well it's obvious that Big Boss would have the upper hand. avataraang1

Lets talk about big boss and Snakes suffering. Ill do big boss you do snake,.

[spoiler] Broken arm, shot in the eye, tortured by being shocked with thousands of volts of electricity, Killed his mentor (Mother figure),Killed more war buddies of his, heart broken like twice ( Cant remember if girl from PO had any feelings ) , Lost many men who served under him, Betrayed by best friend, Killed twice (Lets see you endure that) [/spoiler]

For some unknown reasons, the spoiler tag didn't want to work. The following paragraph contains spoilers. Don't read further. You have been warned.

Solid Snake:

It's not always physically when it comes to Snake's suffering. Snake suffered from lies, being controlled, being a pawn in many many events when putting his life in danger for the sake of the good people in the world, fox die(you have no idea what it feels like when someone knows he is going to die anytime soon), betrayal, not being able to enjoy life like other normal people do, he lives to fight and puts his mission first and careless about anything else, the fact that he was born for one purpose which is fighting, feeling desperate and hopeless and kinda useless after all those years of fighting and experience at the Volta at the end of act 3 when Ocelot takes control of SOP and unleashes Guns of The Patriots. Snake in that moment just couldn't do anything to stop him and that is something Snake never failed to do in the past. He's known to be the legendary soldier who could achieve any tasks under any circumstances but MGS4 destroyed the "heroic" terms given to Snake. Now as far as physical suffering goes, the "microwaves" in Haven are enough to showcase the worst situation Snake had to deal with. One more thing, I want to share with you a quote from MGS4 that has alot of meanings when you'd to come and analyze it. "ARGHH LIQUIIIDD!!" shouted by Snake on top of Haven during the brutal fist fight scene between Snake and Ocelot(Liquid) summarizes what Solid Snake been through ever since he met Liquid back in the Shadow Moses incident. Think deeper and you'll understand what I mean. This quote alone gave me GOOSE BUMPS and left some tears in my eyes and a smile on my face.

#17 Posted by avataraang1 (5436 posts) -
[spoiler] If it comes to lies Big boss has dealt with alot of em as well. (Also being in a war and on covert operations usually means you know your going to die lol) [/spoiler] IMO i think they've both been through alot.
#18 Posted by Lord_Kantor (109 posts) -

Big Boss would own Solid Snake. He invented CQC!

Yes, Snake won twice, but... he was cheating...

#19 Posted by johnlennon28 (2158 posts) -
I like big boss' story
#20 Posted by hazelnutman (9688 posts) -
Before MGS4, I always thought Big Boss was more badass, but after MGS4, it's a tie.
#21 Posted by Ket87 (3840 posts) -
Big Boss, seriously how many times has he come back after supposedly being killed? Plus he started his own army nation, twice. If that doesn't qualify you for bad ass nothing will.
#22 Posted by TyDogg25 (15 posts) -

Hmm...in terms of CQC I'd say Big Boss, I mean he did invent it with the Boss, but in a gun fight Snake....so my vote will be in tie heh

#23 Posted by WR_Platinum (4667 posts) -

Lord_Kantor

Wrong, you meant The Boss, if you played MGS3, you see how she easily owned Big Boss.

As for Big Boss vs. Solid Snake, I choose the good ol' guy to cqc his son's ass to the floor easily.

#24 Posted by G-Legend (7294 posts) -
BIG BOSS, he would own snake in CQC and in any battle. Have you seen him in MGS3! Definately BB FTW!
#25 Posted by Thevenin167 (768 posts) -
Big Boss, his story was more 'human'
#26 Posted by theycallmeryan (7222 posts) -
Big Boss.
#27 Posted by mjk_1 (13923 posts) -
most people say big boss, and yet solid snake is still winning...
#28 Posted by AgentH (4636 posts) -

most people say big boss, and yet solid snake is still winning...mjk_1

lol so true

#29 Posted by treelog82 (608 posts) -
Well by Kojimas own word SS>BB and also at the end of MGS2 Raiden is on par with SS. So by Kojimas word SS=Raiden>BB.
#30 Posted by Denji (12757 posts) -

Bah, The Boss would take them both at the same time lol

But if you think about it, Big Boss and Solid Snake have lived very simular lives in different times. Their suffering is different. But there's one common despair that they share, the fact that they've been royally screwed and used by their own government. Only difference is, even though Big Boss took over with Zero, he was eventually screwed over by Zero aswell. Not to mention, Solid Snake was Zero's weapon of choice to bring Big Boss down twice.

#31 Posted by treelog82 (608 posts) -

Big Boss, seriously how many times has he come back after supposedly being killed? Plus he started his own army nation, twice. If that doesn't qualify you for bad ass nothing will.Ket87

I think defeating "the worlds greatest soldier" twice while hes in his prime (according to Kojima), and taking down his army nation twice, single handedly, qualifies you as even more bad ass.

I mean think about the 2nd defeat. Big Boss in his prime with far more experience and a damn machine gun cant manage to take out an unarmed, mission fatigued Solid Snake. Solid Snake manages to sneak around him, put together a make shift flamethrower and defeat Big Boss.

For all of you bringing up the end of MGS4 cqc hug.

A. It was for dramatic cause and nothing more.

B. Even if it wasn't, there are far more examples in the overall story line of Solid Snake being greater than Big Boss.

Did Big Boss suffer in his lifetime? Hell yeah. As much as Solid Snake? Thats an arguable point, although Solid Snake did carry on far more missions and against greater foes.

Still though Solid Snake is a greater soldier than Big Boss. The series goes out of its way to show you this over and over again.

#32 Posted by avataraang1 (5436 posts) -

[QUOTE="mjk_1"]most people say big boss, and yet solid snake is still winning...AgentH

lol so true

Because real men dont use polls
#33 Posted by wsandoval07 (225 posts) -

For some unknown reasons, the spoiler tag didn't want to work. The following paragraph contains spoilers. Don't read further. You have been warned.

Solid Snake:

It's not always physically when it comes to Snake's suffering. Snake suffered from lies, being controlled, being a pawn in many many events when putting his life in danger for the sake of the good people in the world, fox die(you have no idea what it feels like when someone knows he is going to die anytime soon), betrayal, not being able to enjoy life like other normal people do, he lives to fight and puts his mission first and careless about anything else, the fact that he was born for one purpose which is fighting, feeling desperate and hopeless and kinda useless after all those years of fighting and experience at the Volta at the end of act 3 when Ocelot takes control of SOP and unleashes Guns of The Patriots. Snake in that moment just couldn't do anything to stop him and that is something Snake never failed to do in the past. He's known to be the legendary soldier who could achieve any tasks under any circumstances but MGS4 destroyed the "heroic" terms given to Snake. Now as far as physical suffering goes, the "microwaves" in Haven are enough to showcase the worst situation Snake had to deal with. One more thing, I want to share with you a quote from MGS4 that has alot of meanings when you'd to come and analyze it. "ARGHH LIQUIIIDD!!" shouted by Snake on top of Haven during the brutal fist fight scene between Snake and Ocelot(Liquid) summarizes what Solid Snake been through ever since he met Liquid back in the Shadow Moses incident. Think deeper and you'll understand what I mean. This quote alone gave me GOOSE BUMPS and left some tears in my eyes and a smile on my face.

DAAAAAAAAANG...all i gotta say is...........owned lol

#34 Posted by mjk_1 (13923 posts) -

Solid Snake:

wsandoval07

I'll agree that Solid Snake suffered more & did more missions, but am still not convinced he's the better soldier. Also keep in mind the entire series is mainly based on Solid Snake anyway with 1 game being based on Big Boss. What I'm trying to get at is that we don't know nearly as much about Big Boss as we do about Solid Snake. Either way, I think he's cooler and that's enough to sway the vote for me.

#35 Posted by truenextgen (3911 posts) -
After playing MGS3 "as Big Boss/ aka Snake in that game" I would say hes the rawer fighting machine.
#36 Posted by Generalmojo (3670 posts) -
if they were both the same age, then big boss can kik snk's a** i mean he already did in....well sorry but i cant say cos of spoiler's
#37 Posted by ripperu07 (229 posts) -

most of u are comparing it to who would win in a fight

Solid snake cause he was in MGS4 and it was Epic :P

if i ever play Metal Gear games then maybe ill change my mind

#38 Posted by THQ88 (1362 posts) -

Solid Snake.

#39 Posted by M0wen10 (7555 posts) -

I would say a tie. I have only played MGS4, but I think their skills are equal.

#40 Posted by Nephilim83 (4378 posts) -
[QUOTE="Lord_Kantor"]

Na, he only helped invent it. Boss was the real CQC champion. Cheating or not, Solid Snake already killed Big Boss twice. I think he could do it again. The only reason Big Boss man-handled him in MGS4 is cause Snake was in poor health. He smokes too much. ;)
#41 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9483 posts) -
ahhh .... ppl are getting confused. Solid Snake never beat Big Boss .... ever. Solid Snake beat Solidus Snake. Big Boss is the culmination of Liquid, Solid and Solidus. Big Boss could beat anyone of them.
#42 Posted by Nephilim83 (4378 posts) -
[QUOTE="mjk_1"][QUOTE="wsandoval07"]

Solid Snake:

I'll agree that Solid Snake suffered more & did more missions, but am still not convinced he's the better soldier. Also keep in mind the entire series is mainly based on Solid Snake anyway with 1 game being based on Big Boss. What I'm trying to get at is that we don't know nearly as much about Big Boss as we do about Solid Snake. Either way, I think he's cooler and that's enough to sway the vote for me.

Big Boss was in two games, and even though we don't know a whole lot about him we do know that he got his *** handed to him twice already by Solid Snake.
#43 Posted by Nephilim83 (4378 posts) -
ahhh .... ppl are getting confused. Solid Snake never beat Big Boss .... ever. Solid Snake beat Solidus Snake. Big Boss is the culmination of Liquid, Solid and Solidus. Big Boss could beat anyone of them. Nonstop-Madness
No... You're confused. Solid Snake beat Big Boss at the end of the very first two Metal Gear games. Not MGS just MG. ;)
#44 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9483 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]ahhh .... ppl are getting confused. Solid Snake never beat Big Boss .... ever. Solid Snake beat Solidus Snake. Big Boss is the culmination of Liquid, Solid and Solidus. Big Boss could beat anyone of them. Nephilim83
No... You're confused. Solid Snake beat Big Boss at the end of the very first two Metal Gear games. Not MGS just MG. ;)

lol ..... im confused .. but your right Snake did beat Big Boss in Metal Gear but still Big Boss would demolish Solid Snake.
#45 Posted by Keir21 (5918 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"][QUOTE="Nephilim83"][QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]
[QUOTE="Nephilim83"][QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]ahhh .... ppl are getting confused. Solid Snake never beat Big Boss .... ever. Solid Snake beat Solidus Snake. Big Boss is the culmination of Liquid, Solid and Solidus. Big Boss could beat anyone of them. Nonstop-Madness

lol ..... im confused .. but your right Snake did beat Big Boss in Metal Gear but still Big Boss would demolish Solid Snake.

lol, how does that work?
#46 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9483 posts) -
[QUOTE="Keir21"][QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"][QUOTE="Nephilim83"][QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"] [QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"][QUOTE="Nephilim83"] No... You're confused. Solid Snake beat Big Boss at the end of the very first two Metal Gear games. Not MGS just MG. ;)

lol, how does that work?

i dont know .... I just think Big Boss could beat Solid Snake.
#47 Posted by Nephilim83 (4378 posts) -
[QUOTE="Keir21"][QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"] lol ..... im confused .. but your right Snake did beat Big Boss in Metal Gear but still Big Boss would demolish Solid Snake. Nonstop-Madness
lol, how does that work?

i dont know .... I just think Big Boss could beat Solid Snake.

:lol: I guess that's a good enough reason. Its not like there's any real way to prove, is there? So yeah, dude, I'll give you that one. ;)
#48 Posted by ANIALATOR136 (1157 posts) -
I wish we could all STOP making threads about MGS. Yes, I know its probably the greatest game series in history but please let it rest for now! Please?
#49 Posted by THQ88 (1362 posts) -

I wish we could all STOP making threads about MGS. Yes, I know its probably the greatest game series in history but please let it rest for now! Please?ANIALATOR136

over my dead body.

#50 Posted by ANIALATOR136 (1157 posts) -

[QUOTE="ANIALATOR136"]I wish we could all STOP making threads about MGS. Yes, I know its probably the greatest game series in history but please let it rest for now! Please?THQ88

over my dead body.

Look. I absolutely love MGS. Its my most favourite thing in the whole world. I just dont think it needs to be pounded with questions and possibilities all the time. We should wait for news on a new MGS game and stop poking at the previous titles and possibly, characters.