This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

Looking for a good one, was looking at resonance of fate, ffXiii was a let down.

#2 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

Resonance of Fate is really freaking good.

And so is Tales of Graces f. That's my favorite PS3 game. It's got a mad fun real-time battle system.

#3 Posted by Hanzoadam (6576 posts) -
Resonance of fate is awesome just a little hard at time and agreed with above tales f graces is great but I wouldn't say the best, There's also Disgaea 3 and 4, agarest 2 is awesome, hyperdemension neptunia mkIi there's loads out there but if I had to pick a favourite I'd probably have to pick Ar Tonelico Qoga
#4 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Disgaea 3 and 4
  • Tales of Graces f
  • Ar tonelico series
  • Star Ocean
  • Eternal Sonata
  • Nier
  • White Knight Chronicles
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia series
  • Mugen Souls
  • Trinity Universe

Those are all the ps3 JRPGs I can think of off the top of my head (I may be missing a few). Some of them are better than others. But there really haven't been that many JRPGs on consoles this gen, especially when compared to the ps1 and ps2 era. A lot of them moved to the handhelds. Happy hunting though.

Also, there are some others such as Ni no Kuni and Tales of Xilia coming out this year.

#5 Posted by ristactionjakso (5823 posts) -

Most of the ps3 JRPGs dont even hold a candle to the great ps2 and ps1 JRPGs.

But I got pretty good enjoyment out of Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll, Valkyria Chronicles, Nier.

If you are looking for the old classic JRPG with turn based system then forget it. All of them on ps3 that has that (which are scarce) just flat out suck.

#6 Posted by josephl64 (4424 posts) -

I'd say Valkyria Chronicles and then Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel

#7 Posted by gamenerd15 (4469 posts) -

Tales of Graces is great. The graphics are quite good. The way the story focuses on relationships between characters instead focusing on a super powerful villain is a pretty unique idea. The battle system is also very cool. It gives you battle points to use when fighting instead of technical points like in past games. If you can wait a couple weeks, then pick up Ni No Kuni. I have heard Disgaea is a fine game for people into Strategy RPG's. Demon's Souls is alright. The only problem with that game is the lack of story, but the gameplay is pretty fun. Final Fantasy 13 is an ok game. It is not as good as previous installments, but it is not anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. There are plenty of games to choose from. Toki Towa is also supposed to be out sometime this year as well as Tales of Xillia. Toki Towa does not look that great frorm what I saw of Gamespot's Now Playing. The footage shown was only the beginning of the game, so no one knows if the title will get better as time goes on.

#8 Posted by SavoyPrime (40966 posts) -
Valkyria Chronicles is the only JRPG I can wholeheartedly recommend if you are into strategy RPGs. Tales of Graces f has a really good battle system, but the story will frustrate you due to the characters having poor memories. To go into more detail would spoil it for you lol.
#9 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2773 posts) -

Tales of Grace most definitely. I am currently 60 hours in and I must say I am *extremely* impressed. This generation has been a total letdown for jrpgs but man this game has that little touch called "love". It's filled with love, sounds corny but true, from the extremely many dialogues, many which are funny, the reward for exploring such as items and cutscenes or how the "npcs" in several towns are rather frequently updates with dialogue between events.

To me, Tales of Grace F is probably one of the most amusing jrpgs I've ever played. And definitely the best of this generation, it has that wonderful love that PS2 and PS1 jrpgs had, the sense of care and detail. I see that the score is a mere 7 on Gamespot and although I suppose scores don't matter that much, I must say I am very very surprised by this. To me, I'd go as far as to say that if you don't like Tales of Grace F, you probably don't like jrpgs. It simply does things right.

Once again, I sound like a total fanatic here but I must say that I am extremely impressed by this game and to be honest, I am very picky with my jrpgs. The only letdown is the anime-naive~ styled kind of story which to some isn't necessarily bad I just have a hard time appreciating the whole "friendship is looove!!!" stuff this and most other (Valkyria Chronicles, Star Ocean, Eternal Sonata etc...) use. Fortunately, the story is actually fairly exciting and not completely unbearable like Star Ocean. But as said, the only acceptable reason for someone to dislike this game, would be the story but as I already mentioned, it's just "as bad" or perhaps even better than most others anime jrpg stories.

I am very happy because it's been long, way too long, since I experienced such a competent jrpg.

Disclaimer: Dark Souls does not count as a jrpg here since it's only technically a jrpg since it's made by japanese developers but it does not conform to the traditional jrpg style most people tend to actually mean when they discuss jrpgs (Final Fantasy, Tales of... ,Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger etc etc).

Edit: OP was talking about Resonance of Fate, here's my opinion:
Resonance of Fate is a perfect example of a game lacking the "love" I was talking about. Very few cutscenes and dialogue, small towns, boring exploration and the game feels like someone took a great rpg and split it into two pieces and threw away the second piece. It's just lacking, it feels small scale and restricting, it don't feel like a complete game at all.

#10 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

In my opinion.

-Final Fantasy XIII

-Final Fantasy XIII-2

-Nier

-Eternal Sonata

-Resonance of Fate

-Tales of Grace F

Alsol Ki No Kuni is coming out this month, it looks really good.

#11 Posted by Reptylus (1875 posts) -
I go with Atelier Totori. Meruru is more refined gameplay-wise, but I think the characters are a bit less interesting.
Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Cieljosephl64
The best thing about this game: It gets you interested in the first two parts of the trilogy - the two best JRPGs I know.
#12 Posted by Reachie19 (1 posts) -
Yeah, you should try Tales of Grace f as said above or Tales of Vesperia if you can get it imported.
#13 Posted by josephl64 (4424 posts) -
[QUOTE="Reptylus"]I go with Atelier Totori. Meruru is more refined gameplay-wise, but I think the characters are a bit less interesting.
Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Cieljosephl64
The best thing about this game: It gets you interested in the first two parts of the trilogy - the two best JRPGs I know.

mhmm...going to find the PS2 games soon :)
#14 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6420 posts) -

+1 Graces F, story is better than people say and battle system is extremely fun. Valkyria Chronicles too, I bought it when it came out but never finished it and just picked it up again lol

#15 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8063 posts) -
Tales of Graces f Atelier series (a lot of time management, may want to look into them well) Valkyria Chronicles Disgaea series
#16 Posted by CTR360 (7259 posts) -
dark souls demons souls tales of graces f valkyria chronicles final 13 final 13-2 ar tonelico qoga the best for me
#17 Posted by ThePerro (3103 posts) -

Is Star Ocean 4 worthwhile? I keep thinking about getting it, but I don't want to waste the money if it isn't a good game.

#18 Posted by prismtech (258 posts) -

psst! good mini review!

i somehow has lost faith in jrpgs....or any rpgs. i dont know why but i just dont find the time that i can sit down and enjoy the story and art style of a game :/

#19 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

As already has been shorty mentioned in a post above, hold your eyes open for the Release of Ni No Kuni - Wrath of the White Witch

It looks very much like a reminiscense of the oldschool JRPG's and had a certain Dragon Quest VIII Feeling with it while I played the Demo.

Apart from that, the JRPG Scene on the PS3 is pretty much dead for me. Though I've heard so often now about Ar Tonelico that I guess I'm going to check it out soon as well.

#20 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

I was really impressed with Nier. Fantastic soundtrack and the characters were excellent as well. Gameplay was quite a bit of fun, in fact the boss battles were some of the most enjoyable I've seen in a long time.

#21 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2773 posts) -

Is Star Ocean 4 worthwhile? I keep thinking about getting it, but I don't want to waste the money if it isn't a good game.

ThePerro

The combat is fairly fun, I'd use the word "fun" if it wasn't for the impressive battle of Tales of Grace F.
Star Ocean 4 has kinda like the typical PS2 jrpg feeling as well. It features maps, chests, towns and npcs that you can talk to. There are a bunch of different environments and well, it's actually a great game however as usual with anime jrpgs, the downside is the story.

Overall, in my opinion, this is one of the better jrpgs this generation, aside from the story/dialogue/rather dull characters.

It's old so it should be very cheap by now and for a low price, it is definitely worth it but then again, it depends on what you seek in a jrpg. For me, I want a chill rpg where I could just run around fight some monsters, open some chests, talks to some locals and press X against every desk in their house and Star Ocean 4 definitely delivered me this.