Besides RPG's what games have a good leveling up system?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Doublexiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Doublexiii
Member since 2011 • 152 Posts

Leveling up has always been very addicting for me. Whether it's gaining new skills or getting an upgrade for a weapon, it's just so much fun.

So, what's a great game (Besides RPG's, I have enough of them), with a good leveling up or upgrading system?

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
There's inFAMOUS 2, you don't level up but the way you grow powerful over time is pretty cool. I mean you start off pretty useless but after a while you'll be creating vortexes and bringing down lightning from the skies upon your foes.
CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CDuG
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

BioShock. Not in the traditional sense of an RPG I guess, but you get powered abilities as you progress and have to decide which to use or abandon (even if it's temporary) and while you start out the game being hunted and kind of weak by the end of the game you are so powerful the enemies can come at you in swarms while you deal out god-like power damage from a distance. It's pretty fun.

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

Fallout series.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
bioshock deus ex human revolution infamous
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#6 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Bioshock has an interesting level up system.

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

^^^ Deus Ex and Fallout are RPG's...do you guys not even know what type of games you play or do you just randomly enter threads without reading the titles and OP.

Anyway, TS...The majority of shooters have a leveling system in multiplayer...

Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City have a leveling system, great upgrades and they're also great games.

Saints row 2/3 have somewhat of a leveling system with a decent amount of upgrades, as does Red Dead Redemption...they aren't nearly as detailed as RPG games, but you still level up, get better equipement/weapons etc.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I think the upcoming Far Cry 3 will have a level up system (I'm saying this because I believe one of the preview gameplay videos showed points for each kill, so I assume they'll go toward some type of leveling system).

I know Ghost Recon: Future Soldier lets you customize your guns, but I don't know if it's a progression type system or if you're able to do all of that from the beginning.

I know you said leveling up system, but there are also games that as they progress you get new equipment and what not. If you're interested, some games like that are GTA IV, Red Faction: Guerrilla, The Saboteur, and a good amount of other open world games (RDR was already mentioned).

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West has trees you can level up, but I don't recall it really mattering overly much which trees were upgraded, still a good game.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

^^^ Deus Ex and Fallout are RPG's...do you guys not even know what type of games you play or do you just randomly enter threads without reading the titles and OP.

Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City have a leveling system, great upgrades and they're also great games.

Saints row 2/3 have somewhat of a leveling system with a decent amount of upgrades, as does Red Dead Redemption...they aren't nearly as detailed as RPG games, but you still level up, get better equipement/weapons etc.

23Jarek23
Deus Ex HR isn't that much of an RPG. It's more of an FPS/RPG hyprid with a focus on multiple paths and player agency as oppose to leveling up stats/getting better equipment.
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

[QUOTE="23Jarek23"]

anime_gamer007

Deus Ex HR isn't that much of an RPG. It's more of an FPS/RPG hyprid with a focus on multiple paths and player agency as oppose to leveling up stats/getting better equipment.

I would have to agree that Deus EX: HR fits more into a FPS/action game with RPG elements. Just my opinion though, don't quote me on this, but I think DEHR is even called 'action' by gamespot.

Anyways to the OP, you could check out Borderlands, FPS mainly where you can level-up. Fun game, but you may want to wait for the sequel, that game looks great so far!

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

[QUOTE="anime_gamer007"][QUOTE="23Jarek23"]

Samslayer

I would have to agree that Deus EX: HR fits more into a FPS/action game with RPG elements. Just my opinion though, don't quote me on this, but I think DEHR is even called 'action' by gamespot.

Anyways to the OP, you could check out Borderlands, FPS mainly where you can level-up. Fun game, but you may want to wait for the sequel, that game looks great so far!

Actually, thinking about it more, Deus Ex HR is a hard game to categorize. FPS/action game with RPG elements is a good fit but still, there's a lot going on in that game genre-wise. TC should probably just play that game anyways as it is pretty awesome :P
unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
Does Borderlands count as RPG?
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#13 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Does Borderlands count as RPG?unrealtron

I don't think so, but it does offer a level-up system so I felt I would include it:)

Doublexiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Doublexiii
Member since 2011 • 152 Posts

[QUOTE="unrealtron"]Does Borderlands count as RPG?Samslayer

I don't think so, but it does offer a level-up system so I felt I would include it:)

It's an RPG, so is Deus Ex and Fallout.

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
Borderlands Dead Rising 2 Dynasty Warriors series Although, to be fair, I wouldn't call any of them "good" leveling systems (Borderlands, though, is easily the best of the bunch). You level up, get stronger, but you don't really get to customize your character all that much. In Dead Rising 2 you don't make any choices but, instead, automatically unlock new moves and such (most of which really don't matter) as you level up. Sadly, there just aren't too many games outside the RPG genre that incorporate a really good or in-depth leveling/upgrading system. Which is a shame.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#16 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Nier. It leans toward the action genre, and has a lot of cutomizations and "word" you get from killing enemies. You can equip the words to your swords for attack boosts, defense boosts, health regen ect and you gain more magic powers through words too. Good game, but starts off slow.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

I'm the same as you. Games I found that had a good leveling system were:

Darksiders
Dead Space
Shadows of the Damned (Didn't enjoy the game as a whole, but has leveling up)
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Prince of Persia
Wipeout HD Fury

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Does Borderlands count as RPG?unrealtron
Didn't Gearbox classify it as a Role Playing Shooter? It definitely leans more to the RPG side though. Anyway, here's a few more games: Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. A fun shooter with a pretty decent levelling system, there's a ton of spiffy gear to unlock too. Devil May Cry and\or Bayonetta. This one's a bit of a stretch, you can improve your character but ultimately the one improving here is you and nothing feels more rewarding than starting off bad and ultimately kicking all kinds of ass in these games. Yakuza 4, its basically an open world brawler with a nice amount of RPG elements, you've got the traditional levelling system (level up, buy moves and upgrades, repeat) but there's also a ton of side activities to partake in like karaoke and fishing and golfing and whatnot, so if you like Role Playing then you'll definitely have a blast with Yakuza.
juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
Resident Evil 5, replaying levels to get enough points to buy all the extras will take you a while.
Benficafan_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Benficafan_101
Member since 2004 • 404 Posts
Socom 4 has leveling up guns in campaign to carry over to MP. As well as any shooter out there they all have upgrades and leveling systems if you are into MP shooters
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

MW3.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. As you play and get better, you win more, unlock cares, raise your wanted level, raise you police officer level, unlock new tracks, new races, ect. I am not a big racing fan, but I love this game for some reason. I would like to think a racing game is outside the norm for a leveling game, but I love RPGs and really like this racing game.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#24 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Bioshock has a very clever and well developed levelling system.

CaIypzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CaIypzo
Member since 2012 • 125 Posts
Oh yes, its a very long game and after each part of a chapter you get point. The points you get is dependent of the: -Kills -Clearing time -Deaths With these points you can buy: -(Most) Figures -Unlimited ammo for specific weapons (check google for the conditions) -Costumes -Filters (Only for Gold Edition or the DLC) Versus Characters With the money you can find you can buy new weapons and you can upgrade weapons The hole game can you play in split-screen
CaIypzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CaIypzo
Member since 2012 • 125 Posts
^ This comment goes about Resident Evil 5 :D