This topic is locked from further discussion.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

I'm not sure if I'm a going to like RPG's but I want to give it a try. I don't have any. I mostly have action games, FPS and some sports games. What would be a good RPG for a beginner. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. FYI... I have the PS3 that is backwards compatible just in case it's a old RPG.

Avatar image for Kid_Notorious07
Kid_Notorious07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kid_Notorious07
Member since 2009 • 437 Posts

Id say start woth somthing simple turned based and easy to get into like one of the early final fantasies i know one of my all time favorites was final fantasy 4, but you can work your way up from there chrono cross, The legend of dragoon, Final fantasy 5 or 6, star ocean, grandia, final fantasy 10, 12, Try alot of different ones to see what you might like about it if you do a ps1 or ps2 search for rpg on this site youll get more that enough to peak your interest and try not to read too much into the reviews bc as an avid rpg gamer most rpg reviews are crap

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Terrencec06

Id say start woth somthing simple turned based and easy to get into like one of the early final fantasies i know one of my all time favorites was final fantasy 4, but you can work your way up from there chrono cross, The legend of dragoon, Final fantasy 5 or 6, star ocean, grandia, final fantasy 10, 12, Try alot of different ones to see what you might like about it if you do a ps1 or ps2 search for rpg on this site youll get more that enough to peak your interest and try not to read too much into the reviews bc as an avid rpg gamer most rpg reviews are crap

Kid_Notorious07

ok.... thanks.. Should I try the FF 7 off of psn store?

Avatar image for Kid_Notorious07
Kid_Notorious07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kid_Notorious07
Member since 2009 • 437 Posts

Thats a good place to start and its one game that will let you know for sure if u like rpgs as its alot of ppls fav game ever so yeah that would be a good starting place

budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#5 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts
If you want a basic intro to RPGs then try Enchanted Arms. Its a PS3 game that is a little simplistic in the story, and a very interesting battle system. Not the greatest, but it was still an ok rpg.
T_0_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 T_0_D
Member since 2007 • 1128 Posts

Give Sacred 2 a try. It is pretty action based so you will not get bored but has a decent RPG background and good loot/grinding system. You should also be able to pick it up on the cheap. If you want a JRPG then FF7 is a good one. Another WRPG you might like is Fallout 3 (has a decent shooter element) or you could wait for Borderlands late in October.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef287a6cdc35
deactivated-5ef287a6cdc35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5ef287a6cdc35
Member since 2004 • 537 Posts

Fallout 3. It's a real simple RPG with not too much backtracking. I think backtracking and mindless talk kills the genre for beginners

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

If you like Action Games, you'd better start with some Action RPG like Fallout 3/Borderland (comming soon) which kombine FSP with RPG, Alpha Protocoll (comming soon) which kombines Stealth with RPG or Oblivion. You could also like Hack n' Slays like Sacred 2, the Dynasty Warriors series, Untold Legends and X-Blades ^^ If you're looking more for basic RPGs, your best turn would be buying a NDS xD Most RPGs there are perfectly fitted for beginners as they are pretty easy

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Terrencec06

ok thanks guys

GingerDeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 GingerDeadMan
Member since 2009 • 807 Posts

Have you played Fallout 3? That is the ultimate hybrid RPG/FPS-action.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Terrencec06

Have you played Fallout 3? That is the ultimate hybrid RPG/FPS-action.

GingerDeadMan

yeah....it was ok but not as great as people made it seem

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

X men legends were great action/RPG, you have a team of four to manage from a big roster to choose from, and upgrade many things, including equipment, and you can switch to any of the four with the D pad

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I started with FFX. I suggest that

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

While it was a PS2 rpg, Dragon Quest VIII Journey of a Cursed King was an excellent, retro styled rpg that is really easy to get into, not that complicated when it comes to your characters leveling, and has a really good story to boot (well, imho anyways).