Anyone try the Sly Cooper 4 Demo?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Ovirew (6272 posts) -

I just downloaded it and gave it a spin a few hours ago.  It seems pretty similar to the other games, or what I've seen of them, but that's not a bad thing - I'm surprised they've been able to stick so closely to the tone and style of the first 3 games.  It seems like a lot has changed with games since the PS2 days.

I'm wondering if they'll add anything new this time around.  Maybe Sly's ancestors will introduce some new features and gameplay elements.  Even if it's pretty much the same old thing, I think I remember hearing somewhere that this is going to be the longest Sly Cooper game yet, like several times as big as the other ones?  That's pretty cool, at least it won't be over in one setting.

My favorite part of the demo was playing as Bently, both in the sewers and in the haking game.  He's just got so many neat gadgets.

It also had a surprisingly lengthy dosage of cutscenes to help bring the story up to speed, which was nice.

I still don't even know when this game is supposed to come out, or if it is even out already. oO

#2 Posted by Malta_1980 (11157 posts) -

I liked it, however its the type of game i wait till it gets relatively cheaper before buying...

But from what i played, its a good game and one which fans of the series should keep an eye on !!

#3 Posted by gamenerd15 (4433 posts) -

The demo was pretty awesome,  I never played a Sly Cooper game before.  The only weird issue is having to push the circle button jump and climb on certain objects.  Then again, this can keep the player from accidentally grabng on to things.  I love Ratchet and Clank, so there is no reason for me to dislike this or the Jak series. 

#4 Posted by Ovirew (6272 posts) -
The only weird issue is having to push the circle button jump and climb on certain objects. Then again, this can keep the player from accidentally grabbing on to thingsgamenerd15
I thought the Triangle/Circle combination was weird at first, too, but I guess it's one of those things that just becomes an instant reaction whenever you need to use it. I still want to think they could have used a single button for this, but I guess it works.
I liked it, however its the type of game i wait till it gets relatively cheaper before buying...Malta_1980
Just out of curiosity, how come? Are you still concerned that the game might not be long enough, or have enough replay value? I can kind of understand that.
#5 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -

Huh. I just saw the game for sale in Best Buy yesterday... I guess that's a mistake on their part.

I had a couple of doubts from the demo, though. Graphics were great, but writing feels childish in contrast to the... slighty sexualised characters. I didn't care about the characters, I was only annoyed by them. Dialogue wasn't funny at all, either.

#6 Posted by Ovirew (6272 posts) -
writing feels childish in contrast to the... slighty sexualised characters. I didn't care about the characters, I was only annoyed by them. Dialogue wasn't funny at all, either.Granpire
Really? Idk, maybe you just don't like Sly Cooper then. I actually liked the voice-actors and thought they fit the characters really well, and Bently and Murray always get laughs out of me. But maybe it's just not your cup of tea?
#7 Posted by ItsEvolution (2593 posts) -
The game comes out on Tuesday in the US, and to be able to get the PS3 version for $39.99, and then get the Vita version free? Yes.
#8 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
[QUOTE="Ovirew"]Really? Idk, maybe you just don't like Sly Cooper then. I actually liked the voice-actors and thought they fit the characters really well, and Bently and Murray always get laughs out of me. But maybe it's just not your cup of tea?

The voice actors seemed mostly fine, but the dialogue felt very childish, as did the humour(e.g. "Uh, Bentley, was truck-surfing a part of Murray's entrance strategy?"). Everything feels very artificial, and there's no wit or nuance in the conversations. Maybe I'm asking a bit much, but if games like Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter can do humour right in a family-friendly(Thieves in Time more questionably so), why can't Sly? I did love the visuals, and the gameplay was quite enjoyable, but I couldn't help but be constantly distracted by the shallowness of the writing.
#9 Posted by gokuofheaven (3442 posts) -
[QUOTE="Granpire"][QUOTE="Ovirew"]Really? Idk, maybe you just don't like Sly Cooper then. I actually liked the voice-actors and thought they fit the characters really well, and Bently and Murray always get laughs out of me. But maybe it's just not your cup of tea?

The voice actors seemed mostly fine, but the dialogue felt very childish, as did the humour(e.g. "Uh, Bentley, was truck-surfing a part of Murray's entrance strategy?"). Everything feels very artificial, and there's no wit or nuance in the conversations. Maybe I'm asking a bit much, but if games like Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter can do humour right in a family-friendly(Thieves in Time more questionably so), why can't Sly? I did love the visuals, and the gameplay was quite enjoyable, but I couldn't help but be constantly distracted by the shallowness of the writing.

It's safe to say it's not your type of game then. No problem in that.
#10 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

It Felt alittle childish compared to the last 3 games, also wtf The hipos voice Actor is different, that is going to annoy me the whole game . Anyway Gameplay feels like a Sly game, I think too much like the PS2 games perhaps alittle updating would have been nice IDK, as a big Sly fan ill most likely get the game.

#11 Posted by aryanbrar (2089 posts) -

you can split the cost with a friend(who has a ps3), buy the ps3 version. he/she keeps ps3 version and you can keep the vita version.

#12 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -

You could only technically "own" the game with one account, though, so the online pass might not work if you ever deactivate your account for that system.

It's safe to say it's not your type of game then. No problem in that.gokuofheaven

I don't see how that could be true, though.

In terms of genre and art style, it's very similar to action-adventure platformers like Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter, which are games I quite enjoyed from what I played. The only element I'm very irritated by is the writing. It's just lacking in any wit or nuance. Maybe it improves later on, but that's my impression of the demo.

#13 Posted by PSP107 (11666 posts) -

just the played demo(PS3).

Sly- I didnt like how it section had to many cutscenes as you play.

Bently- His section was the must fun.

Murphy- His section was short.

I know I might be alone in this but the cell shaded graphics dont look as impressive as the PS2 demos from years past. It might look better on Vita I never played through a Sly Cooper game but I remember enjoying the demos.

Those demos were deeper than Thieves in Time demo. Based on this demo, overall okay but I be better off buying the 1st 3 games on PS2 or even the HD collection.

#14 Posted by Malta_1980 (11157 posts) -

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]The only weird issue is having to push the circle button jump and climb on certain objects. Then again, this can keep the player from accidentally grabbing on to thingsOvirew
I thought the Triangle/Circle combination was weird at first, too, but I guess it's one of those things that just becomes an instant reaction whenever you need to use it. I still want to think they could have used a single button for this, but I guess it works.
I liked it, however its the type of game i wait till it gets relatively cheaper before buying...Malta_1980
Just out of curiosity, how come? Are you still concerned that the game might not be long enough, or have enough replay value? I can kind of understand that.

Its just having multiple systems there are so many games which I want to get..

So I have to make a priority list and unfortunately Sly is not one of those... However I dont have any doubts it will be a great title !!

#15 Posted by Ovirew (6272 posts) -

I think I just read that the PS Vita version of the game by itself will only be $30?  If that's the case, this is an even better deal.

#16 Posted by ItsEvolution (2593 posts) -
Yeah the Vita version alone is $29.99. So, I buy the PS3 version this morning, come home and put the disc in. Click on "Disc Benefits". Get "These Disc Benefits are coming soon." WTF? Has anyone else gotten this message?