Anyone recommend any games with a good story to it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9513 posts) -

Well there is a difference woth a game with a good story, and a game with a good story mode. So Im going to list the ones with a good story mode:

Uncharted

MGS (but that can be REALLY tough to get into and understand)

Infamous

Resistance 3 (just #3, its really good, the story surprised everyone)

Spec Ops the Line

Portal 2 (everyone should play this game, I dont understand why anyone wouldnt play this game)

Killzone 3

Farcry 3 (i didnt really like it that much, but lots of people thought it was GOTY last year, so I guess its worth it)

(but obviously in most cases, a game with a good story mode, also means it has a good story too. Sometimes the story is throw away but the campaing is still really good)

#2 Posted by Bisko1 (5 posts) -
Hi anyone suggest any good games with a long and good story mode? sick of playing fifa and cod.
#3 Posted by MethodManFTW (25589 posts) -
BioShock Infinite has a pretty good story.
#4 Posted by PelicanRebelLdr (128 posts) -
Any of the Bioshock or God of War games
#5 Posted by gunslinger024 (334 posts) -
Red Dead Redemption Mass Effect 3 Fallout 3
#6 Posted by ristactionjakso (5713 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect Trilogy, Dues Ex HR, Nier, Lords of Shadow.

#7 Posted by OneInchMan99 (1127 posts) -

I've just finished Max Payne 3 and thought it had a good story.About 12 hours and a seamless experience,no loading screens and a nice flow to the story that just kept me playing.

#8 Posted by idunnodude (2281 posts) -

Mass Effect Trilogy if you haven't played it already. best story in gaming this gen imo. and long too like you said. 3 games worth and over 100 hours. and the choices you make in the previous games effect the later ones.

#9 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

Mass Effect trilogy (ME3 ending kinda sucked though)

Uncharted trilogy (yes the story is a typical Indiana Jones/Lara Croft artifact searching but dare I say he does it better than ether of those two *runs away*)

Far Cry 3

Sleeping Dogs (I'd only recommend this if you like asian action flicks)

Bioshock trilogy

RDR

Max Payne 3

#10 Posted by redmangoose (397 posts) -

I've just finished Max Payne 3 and thought it had a good story.About 12 hours and a seamless experience,no loading screens and a nice flow to the story that just kept me playing.

OneInchMan99

Just curious, should I play the first two games? I have them on Steam but I have this thing against force playing dated games just to understand their sequels.

Anyway, as for good stories, I recently just finished MGS 2 and 3 on the HD collection and they were superb. The story is intricate yet really convuluted...but so well done.
2 was good in the mind-****sense with all the conspiracy. 3 was more of an emotional rollercoaster. If that sounds interesting at all then you should cop the collection.
I think there was a leak for a collection with 4 MGS games+Peacewalker but it's not official yet. If you don't want to wait I'd definitely recommend watching or at least reading up on the first two Metal Gear games and watching the cutscenes for Twin Snakes(Gamecube remake of the first MGS)..there's a 5 hour or so long video on youtube. Quite long but the story in that one is pretty hard to pack into a wiki page, trust me, well worth the investment if you want to get into the series.

#11 Posted by sukraj (22133 posts) -

Far Cry 3

Tomb Raider

#12 Posted by CBN16 (353 posts) -

What people have said is good. Other than that, I would say Ni No Kuni, but since you like CoD and FIFA, a JRPG might not be right for you.

#13 Posted by benleslie5 (7775 posts) -
  • Uncharted Series
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Ni No Kuni
  • Disgaea 4
#14 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70697 posts) -

Dragon Age: Origins Mass Effect trilogy Assassin's Creed: Ezio trilogy

#15 Posted by Bisko1 (5 posts) -
cheers everybody will defo be looking into most of these games so thanks for your comments.
#16 Posted by dylan417 (5017 posts) -

Heavy Rain, L.A. Noire, Bioshock Infinite, and Red Dead Redemption all have great stories. I highly recommend each of them.

#17 Posted by enz2 (1689 posts) -
Definitely Nier. Quite a dark story.
#18 Posted by Blabadon (25949 posts) -
Well if you thought the MGS games had good stories, chances are you'll think any game has a good story, so just close your eyes and pick randomly.
#19 Posted by unrealtron (3148 posts) -
[QUOTE="gunslinger024"]Red Dead Redemption Mass Effect 3 Fallout 3

You can add Bioshock to those three.
#20 Posted by sagejonathan (870 posts) -
All the Bioshock and inFamous games.
#21 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Yakuza 4

Red Dead Redemption

Mass Effect series

Those are the only ones I really feel comfortable recommending

#22 Posted by Lulekani (2216 posts) -
Well if you thought the MGS games had good stories, chances are you'll think any game has a good story, so just close your eyes and pick randomly.Blabadon
Shame on you, even though you're totaly right.
#23 Posted by CTR360 (6983 posts) -
bioshock infinite tomb raider far cry 3 MGS4 gow3 batman AC BATMAN AA castlevania LOS darksiders 2 AC3 UC2 UC3 skyrim
#24 Posted by locus-solus (500 posts) -
a lot of ppl r saying Red Dead Redemption it differently has a interesting story its long to 30-40+ hr. ur becoming tired of cod u might want to look at some Artsy games to if u have a ps3 Okami HD is a gorgeous open world game full of vibrant colors
#25 Posted by Azzurri22 (167 posts) -

Well there is a difference woth a game with a good story, and a game with a good story mode. So Im going to list the ones with a good story mode:

Uncharted

MGS (but that can be REALLY tough to get into and understand)

Infamous

Resistance 3 (just #3, its really good, the story surprised everyone)

Spec Ops the Line

Portal 2 (everyone should play this game, I dont understand why anyone wouldnt play this game)

Killzone 3

Farcry 3 (i didnt really like it that much, but lots of people thought it was GOTY last year, so I guess its worth it)

(but obviously in most cases, a game with a good story mode, also means it has a good story too. Sometimes the story is throw away but the campaing is still really good)

Nengo_Flow

Good list here. I particularly agree with the Uncharted series, Resistance and Killzone 3 and MGS, although as mentioned, it can be a little daunting to get into. I'm yet to pick up Spec Ops or Far Cry 3, but I hear good things.

Thanks for changing the sig. by the way, Nengo.

#26 Posted by GeneralMufinMan (368 posts) -

Mass Effect Trilogy
Dragon Age 1 & 2
LA Noire
Heavy Rain
Portal 1 & 2 (not really amazing story, but great writing and acting, particularly the second one)

Some people would also argue for:
Ni No Kuni (story was decent from what I played, but not enough to get me through a jrpg)
Uncharted Trilogy (Indiana Jones style story, so if you're into it, you'll like it)
Bioshock Infinite (The ending is amazing and makes it worth playing, but the the story overall is meh)
Red Dead Redemption (I just hate westerns myself)

And yes Max Payne 1 & 2 are worthy of playing even this late in the game, especially 2, also especially 1 :)
And Mirror's Edge, not related, but I always recommend it :)

#27 Posted by Dogswithguns (10702 posts) -
Any that doesn't have online multiplayer..
#28 Posted by CBN16 (353 posts) -
Any that doesn't have online multiplayer..Dogswithguns
Far Cry 3 has a pretty good story and has online multiplayer.
#29 Posted by gr8scott (1008 posts) -
Heavy Rain Bioshock Infinite and here's a sleeper Call of Juarz: Bound in Blood All really good stories
#30 Posted by slim-pagey (360 posts) -

The Walking Dead, even more so if you like the Graphic Novel/TV Show

#31 Posted by burock76 (1217 posts) -

heavy rain

dead space series

Uncharted series

#32 Posted by fighter91 (1293 posts) -
Enslaved: odyssey to the west Extremely underrated game with an amazing story.
#34 Posted by CyberLips (1821 posts) -

Heavy Rain , Fallout 3 , Red Dead Redemption , Assassins Creed series :)

#35 Posted by Canvas_Of_Flesh (4052 posts) -
Nier, plus a bunch of the ones other people have already mentioned.
#36 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -
  • Bioshock (Best story ever!)
  • Bioshock: Infinite
  • Dead Space
  • Grand Theft Auto IV
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum
  • Prototype
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
  • F.E.A.R.
  • Heavy Rain
  • Red Dead Redemption
#37 Edited by Goldringem (8 posts) -

Heavy rain

Beyond: two souls

The last of us

Uncharted series

Deus ex HR

Silent hill 2

Shadow of the colossus

Fahrenheit

#38 Edited by dipdish (867 posts) -

Story and character development are as vital as gameplay for me.

I recommend playing Max Payne, even though I played it on PC. Also, L.A. Noire and Red Dead Redemption on PS3. You may also like the God of War games, if you're into mythology.

#39 Posted by Blabadon (25949 posts) -

This thread is old as fuck.

#40 Posted by marcheegsr (2522 posts) -

Old thread but im surprised nobody said Deadly premonition.

Anyways mass effect 1-3. Best story ever.

#41 Posted by ModifiedCPU (6 posts) -

Beyond Two Souls - great story

#42 Posted by lensflare15 (6174 posts) -

Yakuza 4

Ni No Kuni

Heavy Rain

Sly Collection/Sly 4

Ratchet and Clank ACiT

#43 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70697 posts) -

Anyways mass effect 1-3. Best story ever.

Yup, there isn't a trilogy that has this good of a story in my opinion

#44 Edited by VintAge68 (408 posts) -

Uncharted series

Mass Effect series

Dead Space series

Yakuza series

Sly series