Anyone else hate the PS4's UI?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

its annoying to navigate and you cant customize shit.

why are you friendlist sort of hidden? On Ps3 it was just right there. On Ps4 you have go up, go to the friendlist icon, then click on it to see it.

All the social media time line crap takes so much room for something i dont care about or want to look at.

There is no Picture folder or Video folder like on PS3. You just plug in a USB and have whatever videos and pictures you wanted in folders you could sort. Nothing on PS4.

It looks ugly and I wish there was a way to change the actual lay out of it. Like if you dont want the social media stuff, you could either minimize it or remove it. If you want a certain thing (a menu or an app) thats somewhere, you can move it to another location for easy access. And changing the size of the icons of things.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

I agree, i'm not a big fan of the interface. You got all these Apps/ programs that you don't use. I can't even name them all, but sony should give some options , because like 8 of the 10 apps are just in the way.

I guess i'm a fan of the ps3 interface, thus didn't expect them to go backwards.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i don't mind it, i prefer it over the Xbox UI

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Yes, I absolutely hate the PS4 UI. It is -horrible-. Everything else is pretty decent though.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I don't know. For me, sometimes it feels more efficient than that of the PS3, and sometimes less so, depending on what I'm looking to accomplish. So I think it's kind of a wash

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I don't know. For me, sometimes it feels more efficient than that of the PS3, and sometimes less so, depending on what I'm looking to accomplish. So I think it's kind of a wash

Same here.

I appreciate that it's not radically different, but the differences that are there are somewhat irritating. I wish there was a way to turn off the timeline.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Nope. Hiding downloads under Notifications is a little odd. Folders and more customization would be nice. But it's fine.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nengo_Flow

@MethodManFTW said:

Yes, I absolutely hate the PS4 UI. It is -horrible-. Everything else is pretty decent though.

well yeah I works fine and is obviously faster and can perform more than the PS3 UI especially when playing a game. But the way its set up and how limited it is is frustrating.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

It's okay. I just wish I could lump all the games I'm currently not playing into a folder or something. It's going to be ridiculous when I have to scroll past 20 games or something to get where I want to go.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

The PS4 UI is a little bare-bones, but after dealing with the Xbone UI all this time, I've come to appreciate the PS4 UI.

It's true, there are tiny additions they can make, but overall I'm quite content.

@The_Last_Ride said:

i don't mind it, i prefer it over the Xbox UI

That's for sure.

Gamespot.com spoke about the Xbone UI in their article a few weeks back.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-the-year-one-review/1100-6423669/

They covered the Xbone OS/UI as well in the recent Gamespot.com video:

Lucy James found the Xbone UI difficult to navigate the UI with a controller and how you are forced to use Kinect shortcuts (if you have a Kinect model). She felt the interface was actively out to get her.

Kevin VanOrd (owns the Xbone) called the Xbone UI " a stupid mess". "It's More designed to advertise" to users than let him do the things he wants.

Seb Ford said the Xbone UI was Clumsy, confusing, snap isn't particularly intuitive...even changing settings is really frustrating.

Rob Crossley said the Xbone "Operating system and UI is so bad" and "atrocious" that he found M$'s team choices Genuinely shocking and fascinating. He can't believe how many bad decisions on the UI were allowed to be in the Xbone.

Cam Robinson said the Xbone UI needs to be completely redone for him to consider buying an Xbone instead of using the Xbone at the office.

There is also a giant article there as well to read after you watch the small video.

In owning all the machines, you start to appreciate not being as aggravated.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I prefer the PS4 interfaced to the Xbox One. If I want to just play a game it's right there. Up the top all the things I would want to do are right there as well I don't have to 'find' anything.

On Xbox One I am constantly trying to 'find' stuff because the fuckwits who designed it decided you will see what they want you to see and what you actually want is in there 'somewhere'.

I'm not saying PS4 UI is ideal, it isn't. I still think all the icons are WAY too big. I would rather see more on screen I'm not 5 years old I don't need huge pictures of everything to tell me what it is. Xbox One is the same, but worse, much worse.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The-Butcher248

Ehh, saying it's better than the Xbox isn't much. I'd go as far as to say the Wii U interface is better. It's simple, efficient, and customizable. The PS4 interface Is OK... but like i said, i prefer ps3. Every interface is better than Microsoft's non-stop advertising UI.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidTy

@The-Butcher248 said:

Ehh, saying it's better than the Xbox isn't much. I'd go as far as to say the Wii U interface is better. It's simple, efficient, and customizable. The PS4 interface Is OK... but like i said, i prefer ps3. Every interface is better than Microsoft's non-stop advertising UI.

The problem with the Wii U although it's nice and very last gen Wii style is the terrible loading. Just going to the settings of the console you have to load. I hate that, especially when you accidentally go to the wrong spot on the interface, wait to load to get into the wrong spot, then have to wait for loading to leave and go back. ugh. The Wii didn't have that problem.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The-Butcher248

I never really noticed any loading issues with my wii u. I have noticed the PS3 / 4 update regularly which takes a few minutes. The battery on the gamepad is awful, the the hard drive is too small... but i do like the interface.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SolidTy

@The-Butcher248 said:

I never really noticed any loading issues with my wii u. I have noticed the PS3 / 4 update regularly which takes a few minutes. The battery on the gamepad is awful, the the hard drive is too small... but i do like the interface.

Just go to the settings on Wii U. I know going to the eshop is loading, but that's an online thing. The settings is offline and it's SLOW. Check it out sometime. Going to setting to change something (like Widescreen or Audio) shouldn't be that slow on Wii U whether on your phone, lappy, computer, or Wii U. Bunch of Youtube videos on it as well, but I trust you'll just try it out sometime.

I like the old school original Wii-like interface of the Wii U though, but I hate the loading going to and from certain parts of the Wii U. :( I don't know if it's the Miiverse which I consider useless or what, but it's not welcome. It wasn't an issue on the 2006 Wii either.

Updates take a few minutes no matter the console, so that's a wash.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

3ds has the best interface

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

i was kind of underwhelmed by ps4's ui, then i started using an xbox one as well and now i think ps4's ui is the best thing since windows 3.1... :)

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's good

You have your most recent stuff in a line and at the end of that line you have your games and apps.

It's simple

Everyone who wants folders and other garbage? Be quiet, there's no reason to make it cluttered.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Not a big fan of the UI. It works, but it could definitely be improved. Hopefully Sony does more to improve the PS4's UI than they did to improve the PS3's UI. Meaning hopefully they do more than add sparkles this time.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Question:

Can you pause downloads like you could on the PS3? It wasn't readily apparent (I pressed all the buttons).

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

@Boddicker said:

Question:

Can you pause downloads like you could on the PS3? It wasn't readily apparent (I pressed all the buttons).

Yes, you can. I understand this wasn't a feature from launch (for some mindboggling reason) but we have it now. It's a case of pressing X to pause and again to resume.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

How can you hate a UI so simplistic, and your excuse is you have to go up and click on your friends list I mean seriously what more can they do lol

the one problem I have is that it can't be organized and it's all there but thats a small thing, when you consider how fast and fluid the whole thing is :S

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

I like it, its fast and loads quick.

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

It is fine simple & all.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

I like it. Its very easy to navigate. No BS. Add themes if u want some customization. The PS store was the best presentation of all 3 consoles too

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

i only hate lizard squad, may they rot, well maybe it's too much but i think they deserve to be cremated... :D

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Nengo_Flow

@mikehockbourns said:

yeah im not saying it performs bad, it works very well.

Im talking about how too simple, annoying, limiting it is set up. The actual design of it sucks and things are a bit far too reach.

n0ckturn4ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 n0ckturn4ll
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I actually like it, never really had any problems with it either.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

@mikehockbourns said:

yeah im not saying it performs bad, it works very well.

Im talking about how too simple, annoying, limiting it is set up. The actual design of it sucks and things are a bit far too reach.

:S isn't simple what everyone wants, I mean it's perfect in the sense i know where everything is right from the get go, how are things far to reach, give me an example, I mean the friends list is right there, I defiantly want them to give me more folders so i can organize stuff, but other than that, they have at least cut down on what is shown on the games and apps bar, I'd rather them just give me one folder which has all the apps in, instead of spread out amongst my games but other than that small thing,

try using Xbox UI and then tell me the PS4 UI sucks.

Menace413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Menace413
Member since 2014 • 28 Posts

Yeah PS4's UI is pretty plain and boring PS3's UI never changed once so to think PS4's will change it won't Xbox has superior software so if ppl complain about it they will change it at some point windows 10 will make necessary improvements 360's dashboard was the best because they made it better with simple updates I just don't think Sony can change it there not very innovative in that department

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Please don't bump old threads. Locking