Anybody think Ni No Kuni Collector's Edition Will be a Good Investment?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by yomonkey (100 posts) -

So I don't really know the first thing about game collecting. I have never bought a game for any other reason than to play it. That said I am a big fan of retro games and know that some older rpgs can be worth a lot of money. FFVII sells new on amazon for almost $300. And Ni No Kuni looks to be a special game. In addition to likely being a great game and an instant classic, Ni No Kuni marks the first video game collaboration Studio Ghibli has been involved with. Could this alone be enough to make buying the collector's edition and keeping it unopened a good investment? I think the package sells for $100 currently and I would also buy a standard edtion for myself to actually play. Obviously this requires a good deal of speculation, but anyone think this could be worth a pretty penny in several years?

#2 Posted by yomonkey (100 posts) -

Btw, the limited/collector's edition is called the "Wizard Edition" and here's a link to an article with its details and such:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/74600/ni-no-kuni-wizards-edition-announced-is-100#

#3 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

No.

The only collector's editions that has risen/kept in value this gen are Demon's Souls and the first Hyerdimension Neptunia. And that's only because of how rare they are.

#4 Posted by Bubble_Man (3090 posts) -

Don't know, but I'm confident that it will make a good entertainment investment.

#5 Posted by Yangire (8787 posts) -

Just collect games for yourself, I never got collecting things for profit.

#6 Posted by yomonkey (100 posts) -

Yeah, like I said I'm no collector myself. I might buy the limted edition for myself... especially if no one thinks it would be profitable.

#7 Posted by MethodManFTW (25389 posts) -
No
#8 Posted by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

Ni No Kuni

#9 Posted by EastMagi (143 posts) -

So I don't really know the first thing about game collecting. I have never bought a game for any other reason than to play it. That said I am a big fan of retro games and know that some older rpgs can be worth a lot of money. FFVII sells new on amazon for almost $300. And Ni No Kuni looks to be a special game. In addition to likely being a great game and an instant classic, Ni No Kuni marks the first video game collaboration Studio Ghibli has been involved with. Could this alone be enough to make buying the collector's edition and keeping it unopened a good investment? I think the package sells for $100 currently and I would also buy a standard edtion for myself to actually play. Obviously this requires a good deal of speculation, but anyone think this could be worth a pretty penny in several years?

yomonkey

I don't think the Wizard edition is available for pre-ordering anymore. Didn't they stop taking preorders for that back in September?

#10 Posted by yokofox33 (29001 posts) -

No. I'm content with the steelbook from Gamestop.

#11 Posted by PoisoN_Facecam0 (3734 posts) -

No.

The only collector's editions that has risen/kept in value this gen are Demon's Souls and the first Hyerdimension Neptunia. And that's only because of how rare they are.

Gxgear
there are a ton of collectors editions that held value or went way up in value.. pretty much every japanese collectors edition, just not really western made games. I bought 2 Ni No Kuni collectors, will be keeping 1 sealed, how often does studio ghibli help make a video game with a western release?
#12 Posted by PoisoN_Facecam0 (3734 posts) -

Yeah, like I said I'm no collector myself. I might buy the limted edition for myself... especially if no one thinks it would be profitable.

yomonkey
it will be profitable, maybe not right away, but a couple years down the road, definitely...
#13 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

No.

PoisoN_Facecam0

there are a ton of collectors editions that held value or went way up in value.. pretty much every japanese collectors edition, just not really western made games. I bought 2 Ni No Kuni collectors, will be keeping 1 sealed, how often does studio ghibli help make a video game with a western release?

Japanese copies worth more in the west? You don't say...:roll:

Honestly though, after giving considerations to how much more games cost in Japan and the additional cost/trouble importing it, one has to question how much of that extra "value" is really from market appreciation.

#14 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
No. Video games very rarely reach the status of FFVII. If you want to invest in something try gold or silver.
#15 Posted by 2Chalupas (4976 posts) -
The only times I've ever ended up with a video game worth $100 was a total accident, and I discovered it years later. (ie. somethinng like misprinted black label Final Fantasy VII or sealed/mint steelbook Metroid Prime trilogy which I actually picked up for $15). EVERY time, and I mean EVERY time I've bought a limited edition for $100, I look at it a few months later and if I wanted to sell... it goes for like $20. This goes not just for video games, but also blu-ray movies and DVD's over the years. Moral of the story: don't buy $100 limited edition versions of anything unless you REALLY want what's in it, but for me most of the time even under that standard it ends up just being wasted space.
#16 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

No.

The only collector's editions that has risen/kept in value this gen are Demon's Souls .

Gxgear
Got my deluxe :3