Anonymous targets Sony

• 154 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#-49 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

" you can ease up on your silly self righteous pro sony ranting"

androflash

The only "self-righteousness" I can see in this entire discussion is that of the hackers and their supporters, attempting to spin the situation so that they don't look like the cowards and socially maladjusted punks and criminals they are for screwing up something that makes NO DIFFERENCE to the world or it's peoples in terms of what's important to a fulfilling life. Yet insurance companies will take thousands of dollars from customers and then loop-hole themselves out of the bills when it comes time to support them and their family needs.

Someone should cut those **** down a peg or two. But games and TVs? C'mon, man...

... I'm not bashing you. I'm not trying to make you feel bad. So please just take this in the friendly spirit under which it was said. Hackers of the PS3 are only hurting you and me, the gamers out there who color inside the lines. We're the ones who now have to deal with God Mode idiots in our formerly-well-loved games online. We're the ones who will have to pay higher prices at retail for our games. We're the ones who will have to put up with confining and soul-crushing DRM. We're the ones who will have to pay "resale licenses" for our used sports games. We're the ones who foot the bill.

You and me.

Not the hackers or their ******* pals.

Is that fair?

Peace and exciting gaming to you, if the future allows. But thanks to Geo*** and his tiny-genitaled friends, that future has grown even smaller, and darker, and more controlled than ever. For people who claim to be "fighting the power", they're certainly dumping a lot on those they claim to want liberated from the Sony shackles...

#-48 Posted by androflash (1034 posts) -

[QUOTE="androflash"]

MonkeySpot

The only "self-righteousness" I can see in this entire discussion is that of the hackers and their supporters, attempting to spin the situation so that they don't look like the cowards and socially maladjusted punks and criminals they are for screwing up something that makes NO DIFFERENCE to the world or it's peoples in terms of what's important to a fulfilling life. Yet insurance companies will take thousands of dollars from customers and then loop-hole themselves out of the bills when it comes time to support them and their family needs.

Someone should cut those **** down a peg or two. But games and TVs? C'mon, man...

... I'm not bashing you. I'm not trying to make you feel bad. So please just take this in the friendly spirit under which it was said. Hackers of the PS3 are only hurting you and me, the gamers out there who color inside the lines. We're the ones who now have to deal with God Mode idiots in our formerly-well-loved games online. We're the ones who will have to pay higher prices at retail for our games. We're the ones who will have to put up with confining and soul-crushing DRM. We're the ones who will have to pay "resale licenses" for our used sports games. We're the ones who foot the bill.

You and me.

Is that fair?

Peace and exciting gaming to you, if the future allows. But thanks to Geo*** and his tiny-genitaled friends, that future has grown even smaller, and darker, and more controlled than ever. For people who claim to be "fighting the power", they're certainly dumping a lot on those they claim to want liberated from the Sony shackles...

I could not agree more

#-47 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13130 posts) -
[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="androflash"]

You and me.

Is that fair?

Preach on brotha! :D The hackers aren't fighting for anything but their own selfish ambitions. Don't fight for my freedom, please. All you are doing is taking away from me and other paying customers. Its like going on strike because the company you work for doesn't offer dental insurance and the lack of production leads to the company going under and then... oh damn.... thousands of employees are sitting in the dark with nothing to eat. lol
#-46 Posted by solidsnake10123 (396 posts) -

these **** idiots realise there hurting the ps3 users and not sony right

#-45 Posted by parvie (2168 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wild_Card"]

in a way im glad there are people out there that have some skills to fight back aginst big corps

MonkeySpot

"Fight Back"? What, exactly, has Sony done that's so wrong? Developed a product, put it on sale to the public, charging legit prices which actually lose them money in the process of attempting to build a customer base...

... where is the harm? Because they don't want people stealing from them for products and services which (wait for it) are not a necessity for a happy life? If these toolsheds want to attack something, how about the insurance companies who refuse coverage because of pre-exsisting condition? How about targetting companies who polute the planet? How about targetting oppressive governments who abuse human rights like they're going out of print?

If you think Sony has done such wrong by the world by making PS3s and televisions, you're a complete ponce.

Oh my gawd I think I just came.
#-44 Posted by solidsnake10123 (396 posts) -

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="Wild_Card"]

in a way im glad there are people out there that have some skills to fight back aginst big corps

parvie

"Fight Back"? What, exactly, has Sony done that's so wrong? Developed a product, put it on sale to the public, charging legit prices which actually lose them money in the process of attempting to build a customer base...

... where is the harm? Because they don't want people stealing from them for products and services which (wait for it) are not a necessity for a happy life? If these toolsheds want to attack something, how about the insurance companies who refuse coverage because of pre-exsisting condition? How about targetting companies who polute the planet? How about targetting oppressive governments who abuse human rights like they're going out of print?

If you think Sony has done such wrong by the world by making PS3s and televisions, you're a complete ponce.

Oh my gawd I think I just came.

oh god me to D:

#-42 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

I'm comfortable enough with my own sexuality to cause climax in another gamer or two at the same time, no matter who they are. You're welcome, guys!

:lol:

I am serious, though. There are literally millions of people who get screwed over by the insurance industry... Of which, I am one. I have two herniated vertebrae and because of that, I can't get anything which might be considered helpful insurance. I live every day in excruciating pain, barely able to sit on the toilet (and I give you all permission to snicker at the mental image of me trying to park up on The Mug - Let's face it, poop is funny) popping pain pills like they were tic tacs. In order to get a $5000 deductible, no co-pay, no medication comp, no eye care, no dental policy, I had to sign a waver saying that I would never seek medical help for a condition which, honestly, around $6000 or so would fix. I pay my doctor out of MY pocket for a visit so that I can swing on over to the local pharmacy to pay $100 for a bottle of 30 Soma tablets (a muscle relaxer which has no street value or narcotic effect). If my insurance company would take me to the operating table just once, all of this would be a bad memory. Then I would be able-bodied enough to earn a living, pay taxes on that living, and continue to pay my insurance company until the day I die from something. But the US government, sitting on lard-filled buttocks, is not interested in me becoming a productive member of it's society. And the insurance people look at me with soft eyes and they say "The government may change this one day, and I hope they do, for your sake..." , all the while, taking my money and not giving me ANY help for the cost. Hoping things will change, yeah SUUUURE they are...

Real **** humanitarians.

Right now, in order to get any medical attention, idealisticly I need to be hit by a bus. Then, because of new traumas suffered, my disc could be taken care of in the process of rebuilding me if the physician felt some compassion and an almost reckless disregaurd for his/ her license to practice medicine. Because any physician who touches that part of my back and going against the fine print that I signed, simply to keep my family from going homeless in the wake of a catastrophic incident. Any doctor who wants to help me has to play striclty by insurance company policies, or they risk committing insurance fraud, etc.

I, good gamer friends, am ****'d because of red tape and bureaucratic pony-loaf. The goverment points fingers at privatized medicine, the medicos point fingers at the goverment for allowing the insurance game to continue unchecked, and me and my family are caught in the middle. All the while, insurance companies take money from both sides and shrug in mock confusion... all the way to the bank.

God Bless America, where turning a blind eye to injustice and human suffering is turning into a civic duty.

So I don't see how Sony has crawled to the top of the heap... Perhaps they haven't always made the best decisions, but they're not out to screw anyone like SOME of the nefarious toe-lickers on this rock. Not by a country mile.

Sorry for the soapbox, but if you can take anything away from this thread, I hope it's a bit of perspective. And for Jah's sake, don't try to move PA speakers by yourself!!!

:D

Respect, everyone!

#-41 Posted by anime_gamer007 (6142 posts) -

[QUOTE="androflash"]

MonkeySpot

You and me.

Is that fair?

It doesn't happen often but MonkeySpot, I agree 110%. :)
#-40 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13130 posts) -
[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

I'm comfortable enough with my own sexuality to cause climax in another gamer or two at the same time, no matter who they are. You're welcome, guys!

I am serious, though. There are literally millions of people who get screwed over by the insurance industry... Of which, I am one. I have two herniated vertebrae and because of that, I can't get anything which might be considered helpful insurance. I live every day in excruciating pain, barely able to sit on the toilet (and I give you all permission to snicker at the mental image of me trying to park up on The Mug - Let's face it, poop is funny) popping pain pills like they were tic tacs. In order to get a $5000 deductible, no co-pay, no medication comp, no eye care, no dental policy, I had to sign a waver saying that I would never seek medical help for a condition which, honestly, around $6000 or so would fix. I pay my doctor out of MY pocket for a visit so that I can swing on over to the local pharmacy to pay $100 for a bottle of 30 Soma tablets (a muscle relaxer which has no street value or narcotic effect). If my insurance company would take me to the operating table just once, all of this would be a bad memory. Then I would be able-bodied enough to earn a living, pay taxes on that living, and continue to pay my insurance company until the day I die from something. But the US government, sitting on lard-filled buttocks, is not interested in me becoming a productive member of it's society. And the insurance people look at me with soft eyes and they say "The government may change this one day, and I hope they do, for your sake..." , all the while, taking my money and not giving me ANY help for the cost. Hoping things will change, yeah SUUUURE they are...

Real **** humanitarians.

Right now, in order to get any medical attention, idealisticly I need to be hit by a bus. Then, because of new traumas suffered, my disc could be taken care of in the process of rebuilding me if the physician felt some compassion and an almost reckless disregaurd for his/ her license to practice medicine. Because any physician who touches that part of my back and going against the fine print that I signed, simply to keep my family from going homeless in the wake of a catastrophic incident. Any doctor who wants to help me has to play striclty by insurance company policies, or they risk committing insurance fraud, etc.

I, good gamer friends, am ****'d because of red tape and bureaucratic pony-loaf. The goverment points fingers at privatized medicine, the medicos point fingers at the goverment for allowing the insurance game to continue unchecked, and me and my family are caught in the middle. All the while, insurance companies take money from both sides and shrug in mock confusion... all the way to the bank.

God Bless America, where turning a blind eye to injustice and human suffering is turning into a civic duty.

So I don't see how Sony has crawled to the top of the heap... Perhaps they haven't always made the best decisions, but they're not out to screw anyone like SOME of the nefarious toe-lickers on this rock. Not by a country mile.

Sorry for the soapbox, but if you can take anything away from this thread, I hope it's a bit of perspective. And for Jah's sake, don't try to move PA speakers by yourself!!!

Respect, everyone!

Man, I feel your pain (well, not the back pain). My wife and kids are on the best insurance available in my area. I, however, have been refused by every insurance company within a reasonable pricerange (lol) due to the fact that I'm overweight which is considered high risk. Mind you I am overweight, but I'm 6'8" and apparently my ideal weight is 175. Let me tell you, it will NEVER happen. :P So I'm just screwed.
#-39 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

It doesn't happen often but MonkeySpot, I agree 110%. :)anime_gamer007

AG007, have we really ever disagreed on much? I know when I see your name in a discussion I'm happy for it, because you usually contribute something meaningful or entertaining (and often, a bit of both at the same time)...

... If I've ever ruffled your feathers, I heartily apologize! I've often considered you to be a friend I haven't met face-to-face yet, and I always respect your input. But I also know that I'm capable of some inflammatory hoo-hah, so I certainly wouldn't blame you or anyone else on this forum to gather that opinion of me. I can be a rankled old fart at times...

Someday, coffee and crullers on me, bud!

#-38 Posted by z4twenny (4898 posts) -

being a ps3 owner, i side with the "hackers"

if it really was THAT big of an issue then the entertainment industry would've fallen apart with the invention of the tape recorder and VCR.

long story short i can buy anything else and modify it how i see fit, that includes the recently ok'ed iphone, but i can't do it with a ps3? i call shennanigans on it.

im all for sony, i love the games on the ps3 & the exclusives are the selling point to me, but don't tell me this isn't my system that i spent my money on. if i'm supposedly leasing their firmware then let me replace it with firmware that i don't have to lease. if i can't control what data goes on the hardware that i bought, then how can i say it's mine?

#-37 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

i can buy anything else and modify it how i see fit, that includes the recently ok'ed iphone, but i can't do it with a ps3? i call shennanigans on it.

im all for sony, i love the games on the ps3 & the exclusives are the selling point to me, but don't tell me this isn't my system that i spent my money on. if i'm supposedly leasing their firmware then let me replace it with firmware that i don't have to lease. if i can't control what data goes on the hardware that i bought, then how can i say it's mine?

z4twenny

If you were to mod your iPhone so that it could steal service, or disrupt other customer's service, you'd be prosecuted and deserve every bit of the trouble you found yourself in. Your analogy doesn't work.

#-36 Posted by anime_gamer007 (6142 posts) -

[QUOTE="anime_gamer007"]It doesn't happen often but MonkeySpot, I agree 110%. :)MonkeySpot

AG007, have we really ever disagreed on much? I know when I see your name in a discussion I'm happy for it, because you usually contribute something meaningful or entertaining (and often, a bit of both at the same time)...

... If I've ever ruffled your feathers, I heartily apologize! I've often considered you to be a friend I haven't met face-to-face yet, and I always respect your input. But I also know that I'm capable of some inflammatory hoo-hah, so I certainly wouldn't blame you or anyone else on this forum to gather that opinion of me. I can be a rankled old fart at times...

Someday, coffee and crullers on me, bud!

Oh no, it was nothing like that :P

I was pointing out how seldom I agree with your opinion wholeheartedly but this was the exception. I just notice that our opinions on a lot of things tend to be different, I for instance love BioShock and seem to recall you not caring for it all. Just minor disagreements is all, no hard feelings, nothing that would cause any ruffling of the feathers :P

BTW, I appreciate you calling me AG007 just for the fact that it's different from the terrible name my 13 year old self picked for this site.

#-35 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13130 posts) -

being a ps3 owner, i side with the "hackers"

if it really was THAT big of an issue then the entertainment industry would've fallen apart with the invention of the tape recorder and VCR.

long story short i can buy anything else and modify it how i see fit, that includes the recently ok'ed iphone, but i can't do it with a ps3? i call shennanigans on it.

z4twenny

VCRs don't allow you to alter the way everyone else enjoys their movies. I agree that a person should be able to do what they want with their console, but they should not access to any means of disrupting anyone else's experience. So, until hackers can learn how to mod their consoles without being douchebags and ruining the fun for everyone else I say they should not be allowed to mod at all.

#-33 Posted by z4twenny (4898 posts) -

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

i can buy anything else and modify it how i see fit, that includes the recently ok'ed iphone, but i can't do it with a ps3? i call shennanigans on it.

MonkeySpot

If you were to mod your iPhone so that it could steal service, or disrupt other customer's service, you'd be prosecuted and deserve every bit of the trouble you found yourself in. Your analogy doesn't work.

idouble checked what i wrote and nowhere did i mention stealing service or disrupting someone elses service, my analogy works fine, its a piece of hardware with some software on it just like the iphone or my computer & i should be allowed to modify what i want on it since its mine. just because you don't like how some people have modded theirs doesn't mean you can ostracize everyone for it.

#-32 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

z4twenny

idouble checked what i wrote and nowhere did i mention stealing service or disrupting someone elses service, my analogy works fine, its a piece of hardware with some software on it just like the iphone or my computer & i should be allowed to modify what i want on it since its mine. just because you don't like how some people have modded theirs doesn't mean you can ostracize everyone for it.

Yes, but the hackers you laud and praise DO, as do the amoral punters who enlist their hacks and cheats. If you were to use your phone as others are using their consoles, to disrupt other players and to swap content which they had not paid for and had no legal right to, you would be in direct violation of your service agreement. If you grief other phone users with modifications to the technology and misappropriate said technology for your own gains against the service provider's wishes, you are in violation of the law and should be considered a criminal.

PERIOD.

You can't spin this, stop trying, You are wrong.

#-31 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13130 posts) -

just because you don't like how some people have modded theirs doesn't mean you can ostracize everyone for it.

z4twenny

To put it bluntly, YES you can. And you should. As long as people can mod others WILL do dumb things to disturb others. Don't blame us for not wanting our services toyed with. Blame the people who toy with said services and make the rest of the modders look like complete a-holes. Its like how drinking yourself into a stupor is perfectly okay but when you start messing with other people or get behind the wheel you are gonna get busted because you are putting others at risk. If you could just stop your friends from getting behind the wheel or pissing on the sidewalk I'd have no problem with the rest of the drunks. ;)

#-30 Posted by frostybanana (5523 posts) -

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

MonkeySpot

Yes, but the hackers you laud and praise DO, as do the amoral punters who enlist their hacks and cheats. If you were to use your phone as others are using their consoles, to disrupt other players and to swap content which they had not paid for and had no legal right to, you would be in direct violation of your service agreement. If you grief other phone users with modifications to the technology and misappropriate said technology for your own gains against the service provider's wishes, you are in violation of the law and should be considered a criminal.

PERIOD.

I'm not really on either side, but you're spinning what he's saying buddy. I believe he's referring to Sony's recent flip flop on modding the firmware to use other software and operating systems. He's not talking about stealing content or abusing the system for personal gain, he's talking about using the PS3 as it was advertised. Customizing the software was a major SELLING POINT of Sony when they first came out with the system. And they flip flopped and all of a sudden said "you can't do that."

He's not "lauding" or "praising" the hackers. He's saying he sides with them on that issue. Quite frankly, I do too. And you're spinning it to sound like he supports the manipulation of that for one's personal gain. That isn't it at all. There's more than one issue being presented here, and you're arguing about another issue altogether.

I'm not saying they didn't have a good reason for taking away that feature. But the fact that other operating systems and software can be manipulated is something that was true when they first made the PS3. They didn't just realize it suddenly, it was always a factor. So, one would assume they would properly safeguard against that sort of thing when it was built. But they didn't. Instead they took the feature they promised away after thousands and thousands of people already bought their system. And you're getting riled up because people are upset by that? Get real, that's total crap on Sony's part.

Before I get jumped on and labeled as a hacker sympathizer, I'm not. But I agree with them on that issue and I'm pretty sure that's all z4twenny was saying. So stop strawmanning everyone that seems remotely apologetic to the hackers. Sony is NOT perfect and there are plenty of reasons for people to be upset with them.

#-29 Posted by frostybanana (5523 posts) -

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]just because you don't like how some people have modded theirs doesn't mean you can ostracize everyone for it.

MrSelf-Destruct

To put it bluntly, YES you can. And you should. As long as people can mod others WILL do dumb things to disturb others. Don't blame us for not wanting our services toyed with. Blame the people who toy with said services and make the rest of the modders look like complete a-holes. Its like how drinking yourself into a stupor is perfectly okay but when you start messing with other people or get behind the wheel you are gonna get busted because you are putting others at risk. If you could just stop your friends from getting behind the wheel or pissing on the sidewalk I'd have no problem with the rest of the drunks. ;)

That's only true if you actually interfere with other peoples systems. But he's not talking about that at all.
#-28 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13130 posts) -
[QUOTE="frostybanana"][QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]just because you don't like how some people have modded theirs doesn't mean you can ostracize everyone for it.

That's only true if you actually interfere with other peoples systems. But he's not talking about that at all.

I'm aware of what he's talking about. He feels it should be okay to mod your system for you own personal use. And I agree with him just as I stated in a previous post. I'm only pointing out that you can't have one without the other, and as long as that is the case we should have none at all.
#-27 Posted by frostybanana (5523 posts) -

[QUOTE="frostybanana"][QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] To put it bluntly, YES you can. And you should. As long as people can mod others WILL do dumb things to disturb others. Don't blame us for not wanting our services toyed with. Blame the people who toy with said services and make the rest of the modders look like complete a-holes. Its like how drinking yourself into a stupor is perfectly okay but when you start messing with other people or get behind the wheel you are gonna get busted because you are putting others at risk. If you could just stop your friends from getting behind the wheel or pissing on the sidewalk I'd have no problem with the rest of the drunks. ;)

MrSelf-Destruct

I'm aware of what he's talking about. He feels it should be okay to mod your system for you own personal use. And I agree with him just as I stated in a previous post. I'm only pointing out that you can't have one without the other, and as long as that is the case we should have none at all.

It should be because, like I said, it was a promised feature. A selling point, something that Sony advertised when they launched the system. If they couldn't handle countering exploitative measures, then it should have never been promised in the first place. That's a case of Sony not taking responsibility and instead screwing over the people that bought the system under the impression that they could mod the firmware.

#-26 Posted by z4twenny (4898 posts) -

Its like how drinking yourself into a stupor is perfectly okay but when you start messing with other people or get behind the wheel you are gonna get busted because you are putting others at risk. If you could just stop your friends from getting behind the wheel or pissing on the sidewalk I'd have no problem with the rest of the drunks. ;)

MrSelf-Destruct

you're actually making an arguement more along the lines of alcohol prohibition (and we saw how that worked) see its up to the drinker to be responsible with their drinking and not drive. obviously this doesn't always work and i in no way advocate drinking and driving. but i do advocate and have no problem with responsible drinkers, i know several from each category and it's not my place to say the responsible drinkers shouldn't have alcohol because there are irresponsible drunks out there.

PERIOD.

MonkeySpot

so you know for a fact that everyone who modified their ps3 is a cheating, stealing, hacker? do you assume the same for every pc owner? every iphone or android phone user? everyone with an mp3 player? just because people can, doesn't mean they ALL do. in a situation like this (that is, one thats not life threatening) how can you infringe on a group of peoples rights because a small percentage of them have the possibility to do something illegal?

#-25 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="frostybanana"] That's only true if you actually interfere with other peoples systems. But he's not talking about that at all.frostybanana

It should be because, like I said, it was a promised feature. A selling point, something that Sony advertised when they launched the system. If they couldn't handle countering exploitative measures, then it should have never been promised in the first place. That's a case of Sony not taking responsibility and instead screwing over the people that bought the system under the impression that they could mod the firmware.

Sell your PS3 and buy something else.

#-24 Posted by frostybanana (5523 posts) -

[QUOTE="frostybanana"]

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] I'm aware of what he's talking about. He feels it should be okay to mod your system for you own personal use. And I agree with him just as I stated in a previous post. I'm only pointing out that you can't have one without the other, and as long as that is the case we should have none at all. crimsonman1245

Yes, that's a reasonable action when you've invested over 2000 dollars on something :roll:. I don't have my mommy and daddy buy me everything for me, I have to work for it.
#-23 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13130 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="frostybanana"] That's only true if you actually interfere with other peoples systems. But he's not talking about that at all.frostybanana

Now you're talking about something else entirely. Z4twenny was talking about being able to mod a console that he bought. No one is talking about the OtherOS specifically. If you asked me if I thought we should still have access to that feature I would say YES! But if not having it saved us from 4 years of hacked games then I'm more than willing to do without it. Now, however, I don't see how it even matters anymore. If giving OtherOS back would stop all the hacking then I say give it back. Sadly, it would probably just make it easier and much worse.
#-22 Posted by frostybanana (5523 posts) -

[QUOTE="frostybanana"]

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] I'm aware of what he's talking about. He feels it should be okay to mod your system for you own personal use. And I agree with him just as I stated in a previous post. I'm only pointing out that you can't have one without the other, and as long as that is the case we should have none at all. MrSelf-Destruct

Now you're talking about something else entirely. Z4twenny was talking about being able to mod a console that he bought. No one is talking about the OtherOS specifically. If you asked me if I thought we should still have access to that feature I would say YES! But if not having it saved us from 4 years of hacked games then I'm more than willing to do without it. Now, however, I don't see how it even matters anymore. If giving OtherOS back would stop all the hacking then I say give it back. Sadly, it would probably just make it easier and much worse.

That's what modding is... Look at his responses, he specifically refers to firmware. So who's talking about something else?

#-21 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13130 posts) -
[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]Its like how drinking yourself into a stupor is perfectly okay but when you start messing with other people or get behind the wheel you are gonna get busted because you are putting others at risk. If you could just stop your friends from getting behind the wheel or pissing on the sidewalk I'd have no problem with the rest of the drunks. ;)

you're actually making an arguement more along the lines of alcohol prohibition (and we saw how that worked) see its up to the drinker to be responsible with their drinking and not drive. obviously this doesn't always work and i in no way advocate drinking and driving. but i do advocate and have no problem with responsible drinkers, i know several from each category and it's not my place to say the responsible drinkers shouldn't have alcohol because there are irresponsible drunks out there.

Prohibition didn't work because people kept finding ways around it and making matters even worse. That doesn't change the fact that it was necessary in many cases. Look at all the people who would still be alive today were it still in place and being properly minded. The current ban on modded consoles is kind of like Sony's second phase of prohibition. If hackers find a way around it it'll probably get to the point where they give up, too, and let the people have their way; only banning the serious offenders when they can catch them. Anyway, I'm not saying that you condone the misuse of the mods. I'm only saying that as long as they are in fact misused then the general consumer is much better off without them.
#-20 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13130 posts) -
[QUOTE="frostybanana"]

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="frostybanana"] It should be because, like I said, it was a promised feature. A selling point, something that Sony advertised when they launched the system. If they couldn't handle countering exploitative measures, then it should have never been promised in the first place. That's a case of Sony not taking responsibility and instead screwing over the people that bought the system under the impression that they could mod the firmware.

That's what modding is... Look at his responses, he specifically refers to firmware. So who's talking about something else?

No, you're talking about OtherOS which was a part of the factory firmware. He is talking about having the right to install Custom firmware, so... its still you.
#-19 Posted by frostybanana (5523 posts) -
[QUOTE="frostybanana"]

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] Now you're talking about something else entirely. Z4twenny was talking about being able to mod a console that he bought. No one is talking about the OtherOS specifically. If you asked me if I thought we should still have access to that feature I would say YES! But if not having it saved us from 4 years of hacked games then I'm more than willing to do without it. Now, however, I don't see how it even matters anymore. If giving OtherOS back would stop all the hacking then I say give it back. Sadly, it would probably just make it easier and much worse. MrSelf-Destruct

No, you're talking about OtherOS which was a part of the factory firmware. He is talking about having the right to install Custom firmware, so... its still you.

That's part of it. I really have no idea what you're talking about. Custom firmware and operating systems were both allowed originally.
#-18 Posted by Scianix-Black (19295 posts) -
LOLOL. Anonymous is a hacker "organization" now? That would infer that they are organized, which isn't the case. Notice how there's no link to this "Anonymous" blog? That's because anon doesn't have one. That entire article is just a load of ****. Anonymous is not an organization, it's just a large collection of scum that gathers on imageboards to post images and provoke conflict. And it's always amusing seeing how hard they troll people who have absolutely no idea. "We are legion"... HA!
#-17 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13130 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="frostybanana"] That's what modding is... Look at his responses, he specifically refers to firmware. So who's talking about something else?

frostybanana

That's part of it. I really have no idea what you're talking about. Custom firmware and operating systems were both allowed originally.

No they weren't. Custom Firmware was never allowed and was NEVER an advertised feature.

#-16 Posted by z4twenny (4898 posts) -

^ im not sure about custom firmware being installed initially but i will say i don't have an issue with that. i go back to cell phones, if i really wanted to i could change the firmware on my phone.

#-15 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

[QUOTE="frostybanana"] It should be because, like I said, it was a promised feature. A selling point, something that Sony advertised when they launched the system. If they couldn't handle countering exploitative measures, then it should have never been promised in the first place. That's a case of Sony not taking responsibility and instead screwing over the people that bought the system under the impression that they could mod the firmware.

frostybanana

Yes, that's a reasonable action

For a most people, yes.

#-14 Posted by frostybanana (5523 posts) -

[QUOTE="frostybanana"][QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] No, you're talking about OtherOS which was a part of the factory firmware. He is talking about having the right to install Custom firmware, so... its still you. MrSelf-Destruct

No they weren't. Custom Firmware was never allowed and was NEVER an advertised feature.

By custom firmware and operating systems, I'm referring to OtherOS, not GeoHotz custom firmware.
#-13 Posted by anime_gamer007 (6142 posts) -

LOLOL. Anonymous is a hacker "organization" now? That would infer that they are organized, which isn't the case. Notice how there's no link to this "Anonymous" blog? That's because anon doesn't have one. That entire article is just a load of ****. Anonymous is not an organization, it's just a large collection of scum that gathers on imageboards to post images and provoke conflict. And it's always amusing seeing how hard they troll people who have absolutely no idea. "We are legion"... HA!Scianix-Black
They ain't no Geth! :P

Somethings, I just don't "get", Anonymous is one of those.

#-12 Posted by frostybanana (5523 posts) -

[QUOTE="frostybanana"][QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

crimsonman1245

Yes, that's a reasonable action

For a most people, yes.

If by most people you mean immature, spoiled rich kids who don't know the value of the dollar then sure.
#-11 Posted by z4twenny (4898 posts) -

i bought a brand new car the other day, they told me when i bought it that i'm not allowed to change the radio presets or even put a new radio in to change the presets to what i want and if it ever breaks down i'm not allowed to open the hood up and look around.

#-10 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13130 posts) -
[QUOTE="frostybanana"][QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]

That's part of it. I really have no idea what you're talking about. Custom firmware and operating systems were both allowed originally. frostybanana

By custom firmware and operating systems, I'm referring to OtherOS, not GeoHotz custom firmware.

A second operating system is not a custom firmware, and as long as its allowed then its not a mod, either. Therefore, we were never talking about the OtherOS. I apologize for the confusion.
#-9 Posted by anime_gamer007 (6142 posts) -

i bought a brand new car the other day, they told me when i bought it that i'm not allowed to change the radio presets or even put a new radio in to change the presets to what i want and if it ever breaks down i'm not allowed to open the hood up and look around.

z4twenny

Do you know of a store, not a pawn shop or some obscure online store, an actually that sells parts of PS3s? Any spare PS3 blu-ray drives laying around Wal-Mart? No. I think you should stick to a PC if you want that sort of deal. Not to sound like an **** but dude, come on.

#-8 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13130 posts) -

z4twenny
Just stop with the analogies. You can talk about being able to customize your car and then I can talk about making sure its street legal and following the rules of the road.. yada yada yada... As long as you understand that you aren't allowed to do as you please for the sake of involving others then you won't find a way to justify it. Just saying.
#-6 Posted by Wild_Card (4034 posts) -
[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="Wild_Card"]

O for cry'n out loud not another one. Were the heck in my post did i say im glad there fighting back aginst *SONY*? whats that you say, no wear! Once again for those with problems reading All i said was im glad there are PEOPLE out there with the skills to fight back aginst big *CORPARATIONS* NOT SONY!! i was in NO WAY agreeing with these hacker guys about hitting sony. in fact i think i pretty much covered that when i said , and ONCE again for the reading impaired "but i think they need to pick there fights a little better. Sony is doing what any one would do, defend there product and cash flow" . My gosh some of you guys are so jacked up on sony love your seeing offensives were there are none.
#-5 Posted by Wild_Card (4034 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wild_Card"][QUOTE="androflash"]

Disagree. Oh, I get it, big corporations are evil because they make money... c'mon. If you don't like the way a corporation makes money then don't support them, it really is that easy, why can't people just mind their own business?

As of today, I can honestly say Sony has never let me down, do they make mistakes? Yes, yes they do, just like everybody else. But every product that I have ever bought from them has delivered, on the other hand, this organization is messing with a service millions of innocent people enjoy, yeah, there's a lot of logic going on there. Not only that, but they claim to support 'freedom over the internet', which means people should be able to steal from Sony but Sony should not be able to defend itself, ha.

Besides, these guys make it seem like Sony is just a giant money-eating abomination, what about all the faces behind the brand? What about people who had to suffer through years of university and preparation to land the job they wanted? The way I see it, this group of hackers, although skilled, lack maturity... lots of it.

Go Sony.

androflash

Get what ever you want dude but stop putting words in my mouth. all i ment was that i think its good that there are people out there with the skills to fight back IF its ever needed drrrrr. i never once said that sony or any other company is evil ...but of course there are corparations that do in FACT do very bad things in the name of profits, you would have to be a world class fool or have been liveing under a very shelterd rock for the last 70 years not to know this. ;). So you can ease up on your silly self righteous pro sony ranting aginst one comment i made that you took the wrong way .And im sorry if you think i dont already know that i dont have to support a corparation that i dont like. your not telling me any thing i dont already know guy.And speaking of minding your own bussness why cant you let me voice my opinion with out tring to attack it? hmmmmmm? :p

I meant 'you' as in people in general, not you as a person or your comment as a whole. Which is why I took out everything else from your comment (which I actually agree with, in case you didn't get that). I never said that you said that any company is evil, if I did, please quote me.

"So you can ease up on your silly self righteous pro sony ranting"

Pro-corporation, please. Self-righteous? I didn't know I sounded so good, but fair enough.

"aginst one comment i made that you took the wrong way"

Just like you, guy... just like you.

"And speaking of minding your own bussness why cant you let me voice my opinion with out tring to attack it? hmmmmmm?"

I disagreed, can't take people disagreeing with you? (Note:difference between 'why can't people mind their own business' and 'why can't you mind your own business')

ok so now saying YOU after quoteing some one no longer means YOU but people in genaral..lol ok. As for the evil corps ummm reread your post. its right there for all to see. how ever you seem to have missed the part were you were accuseing me ...o wait you ment every one when you said "you" lol that i said corps was evil which i in fact did not say. So i think your a bit confussed there buddy.

"Pro-corporation, please. Self-righteous? I didn't know I sounded so good, but fair enough"

You dont sound so good.

"Just like you, guy... just like you."

not like me at all

"I disagreed, can't take people disagreeing with you? (Note:difference between 'why can't people mind their own business' and 'why can't you mind your own business')"

I keep forgeting when you say "YOU" you mean people does that mean when you say "people" you mean "YOU"

#-4 Posted by Wild_Card (4034 posts) -
[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="androflash"]

You and me.

Is that fair?

im assumeing you were speaking to me dispite what the name is on the quote. Any way were on the same page. the other guy i was speaking to just took my comment in a strange direction and twisting it in his mind that i was some how agreeing with the hackers who are supose to be attacking sony. wich i was not. i really cant see how that comment was twisted up so badly. Any way i agree with what you said above whole heartedly. most hackers suck and mess stuff up for the rest of us.
#-3 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

I apologize to all here if I took your words out of context. Being angry over evolution of a product, and feeling victimized by a bait & switch is all well and good, no company should be allowed to dupe their customer base. But hear me out.

Can anyone tell me what they would mod their PS3 to do, taking all grey-area and out-right illegal uses out of the question and off the table? What would you use the PS3 for, once modded? What would you run on it, what use would it have, what technological need it would fulfill that you can't find with the computer in front of you right now? Would you wire your thermastat to it for HVAC control? Run a home alarm system? Network cook books for your kitchen? I'm not trying to be flipant - I'm curious, because outside of running copied software or cheating the system, I've never heard anyone come up with a legitimate use. It seems to me, as if lots of folks are standing behind the premise of being horn-swaggled by promises the company had no intention of keeping, which is convenient righteousness to drape their real desires in, so as to seem on the side of what's right even though what they'll actually use it for is entirely different behind closed doors.

I honestly would like to hear uses for OtherOS or a modded console from someone who wanted to use it, and what for. What use a modded PS3 would be, if not for some sort of nefarious purpose. I think if you can make a solid argument for it, I would support your position, whole-heartedly. This reminds me, in ways, of the debate over legalizing marijuana... Yes, it has legitimate medical use and provides comfort to people in dire need. But that's not the focus for 90% of the people who fight for the law to be changed, and everyone knows it. Prohibition was a miserable failure, enacted by a minority to try and impose their personal beliefs and values on an entire nation. Certainly, it was doomed to fail from the start because humans (heck, ALL animals) have shown the desire for intoxicants, to relax, to relieve pain, and to engage in social discourse or activity. Shutting down legitimate avenues for the distribution of liquor created a new strata of criminal, and it killed or otherwise greatly harmed quite a few people from bathtub gin and the like. We see the same thing happening with pot, where people who would normally smoke weed turn to other far more harmful substances as a replacement...

... But most of the people who have medical marijuana cards aren't sick from anything but perceived oppression from the authorities.

It was asked here in this thread whether I believed that every modded console was for stealing or cheating. No, I don't believe that everyone is a crook, but the vast majority of users would, indeed, given the tools, use them for ill-gotten gains. None of us on this forum are naive, or snow-white innocent. We know what MOST people would use it for. Not all, but MOST. Kazaa and Napster weren't invented to bring the music and film industry of the wolrd crashing down around artists and label's ankles, but let's be honest - Not many people traded home movies or other personally created stuff through file-sharing sites and programs. Yes, it can be used in such a way, but the majority of the Internet didn't hold themselves to that line. They crossed it. In bigger, and more damaging ways than anyone ever expected back in 1988 when the first MP3 was sent across the net (yes, it's been going on that long).

So I ask all of you ("you" meaning the group assembled, not one person inparticular), What would you do with your modded console? If the answer is "I'd use it to finally beat the boss on (Single-Player Only Game Here), and i would never cross the line and use it for illegal purposes" then that's a hard thing to prove as fact and once you have the tech in your paws, even harder to verify. None of us know you as you know yourself, and I would no more trust another human being to walk the straight-and-narrow than they would feel like trusting me, based on a verbal promise. That's how you end up buying swamp land or the Brooklyn Bridge nine times out of ten in this day & age.

I am completely open to discussion, but please don't ask me to trust your moral compass because you say it points true, and that that should be reason enough. Because no offense, but it just isn't.

The phone analogy doesn't hold water, because though the owner who posted that comment isn't using the phone to upset any apple carts, if Apple found out you were using it to grab stuff off iTunes without paying for it (as lots of people would do if they had a phone that would do it), or T-Mobile found out you had modded the phone to skip the minute counter, etc. you would be in violation of the terms of service - stealing, and that's what the majority of users would do with a modded console. Perhaps not one person in this thread would do it, but you know someone who would. We ALL do.

Can anyone turn me on to what I'm missing out on with these features removed, and not being able to mod my gear? I ask in all seriousness. Enlighten me, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Peace and Respect to you all.

:)

#-2 Posted by MethodManFTW (25605 posts) -
FYI - You can jailbreak your iPhone and get basically every app for free.
#-1 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

FYI - You can jailbreak your iPhone and get basically every app for free.MethodManFTW

Method, I love you man... And that made me BARK out laughter... But, it's like...

"DOH!!!" *FacePalm*

Thanks for the levity, we all needed it in here.

#0 Posted by mattamomo (920 posts) -

FYI - You can jailbreak your iPhone and get basically every app for free.MethodManFTW

can i just say and end this iphone thing

you can jailbreak it, but that is all you can do legally

if you download apps, then you have broken the law, you have stole a companys game and not paid the price

just because you jailbreak it, it does not makes stealing any better

(bit off topic but hey)