All content before release should be included in games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ziggyww
Member since 2012 • 907 Posts

More and more games are coming out with deals saying pre-order and get this new map etc or pay and download two new MP maps in 4 weeks exclusive to what ever console first and the list goes on.

My point is that you have already paid for the Maps etc. If they develop a game i think everything that has been created before launch should be should with the game on release.

You buying the game from the shops which is then paying for the costs of developing the game in the first place and then some more for their profit. So you have already paid for the development of the MP maps or the New maps coming out that don't come with the game on release, but then not only do you get them weeks down the line they then ask you to pay more for it aswell. I already paid for it when you created it before the launch of the game and have already made a profit from it. I just find it cheeky and money grabbing but I think its here to stay but should really go.

I remember when games came with loads of maps on launch and then new maps come out 6 months to a year later and was developed after the launch.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#2 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Multiplayer DLC definitely should be included, or at least at a reasonably cheap price. I don't mind paying for worthwhile single player content though.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Not to sound like a troll, but dude, this is such a moot point anymore. You can be incredulous, you can be flustered, you can even get angry. But the industry is going to do whatever they feel like doing, and currently, that includes bending the consumer over and having their way with you if you feel like buying the game. They don't care if you think Day-One DLC structuring is "unfair" or that games "used to be this" or "used to offer that". They couldn't care any less about people like you or me looking into the past whistfully and wondering why... On a game forum, or in a check out line of a game store, they just. Don't. CARE.

They want more control, not less. They want more money, not less. They want and they want and they want. If you choose to continue playing games that are on this platform or the next ones coming, you will be further "abused" in this and other coming schemes, designed to part you with your wallet, as cleanly and efficiently as possible. The green cash-blood of gamers flowing over their fangs - Nothing less will satisfy.

Personally, the PS3 is my last new console. From here on out, I'll be putting my money into retro systems, where the conditions of your well-worded observations still stand - Complete games, with no need for Internet to play them, finish them, enjoy the New-Game-Plus which some provide, unlock my rewards instead of pay for them again and again and again...

If you want what you used to get, look backward. Be happy those systems and libraries are available, because Obi-Wan Kenobi, they're your ONLY hope.

:)

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#4 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

You tell the world Johnny!

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

They want more control, not less. They want more money, not less. They want and they want and they want. If you choose to continue playing games that are on this platform or the next ones coming, you will be further "abused" in this and other coming schemes, designed to part you with your wallet, as cleanly and efficiently as possible. The green cash-blood of gamers flowing over their fangs - Nothing less will satisfy.MonkeySpot

Companies want to make money? You gotta be sh*ttin' me.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#6 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

$50-$60 used to buy you a full game.

These days it buys you about half of a full game (after all DLC is released). These companies own greed is getting to be amazing with how far its going, and it will be their own downfall at some point. Just you watch. We're most likely heading for another industry crash.

The pubs have games made that have nearly the same budgets as big-name movies now, in the hundreds of millions of dollars. They claim they have to sell 3 million copies or some other stupidly high number just to break even. Most games dont even pass 1 million, then the pubs moan and whine, then lay off half their staff and close their dev houses because a game didnt live up to their own crazy high expectations.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#7 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I wait for the complete editions to come out. If they never do, then I buy the game at bottom barrel prices. Since I don't play MP, I'm not really missing out on much. Sure it sucks that they are holding back, but thems the breaks. Just look around, a lot of companies, not just in the game industry, are offering us less for the same if not more money. If people stopped buying all that stuff, and not accepting these practices, we'd see some change. Not going to happen though, we're far too gluttonous a society.

-

First world problems.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

Well said, MonkeySpot; I couldn't agree more. The PS3 is also my last "new" console as I'm just fed up with where the industry is going--so I'm not going to support them anymore after this. I shudder for future gamers who think today's practices are the "norm" because they don't know any better. It's not their fault for being born into this new world of gaming, but the true crime of it is since they were born into this new system they think this is how it's always been so they're more prone to accept further abuse by developers who partake in nickel and diming tactics instead of questioning anything. Sad.

Even still, I hold out hope that there will be an "awakening" to what's going on and people will get fed up. I'm tired of preaching to people that won't listen or who have no common sense; or worse, those who have been converted to this new brainwashing system and simply roll with the punches and accept that we as consumers are powerless to affect change. The old "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" type of attitude that is exactly responsible for this abuse to run rampant and unchecked.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I hate it when they have different bonuses for pre-ordering from different retailers. I always get my games form the same place because over the years I've been very happy with their prices and customer service. I'm not going to take a chance on some other place I've never dealt with just for some stupid outfit or whatever. So the end result is that I just feel like I've missed out on some content.

As far as all that DLC which is always suspiciously finished mere weeks after the game's launch, I just don't buy it. As long as everybody keeps buying that stuff, the games themselves will keep getting smaller and smaller while the DLC keeps getting bigger and bigger, and they'll keep laughing all the way to the bank.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonkeySpot

I hate it when they have different bonuses for pre-ordering from different retailers. I always get my games form the same place because over the years I've been very happy with their prices and customer service. I'm not going to take a chance on some other place I've never dealt with just for some stupid outfit or whatever. So the end result is that I just feel like I've missed out on some content.

As far as all that DLC which is always suspiciously finished mere weeks after the game's launch, I just don't buy it. As long as everybody keeps buying that stuff, the games themselves will keep getting smaller and smaller while the DLC keeps getting bigger and bigger, and they'll keep laughing all the way to the bank.

Jackc8

Yep. That's what's now known as "Free-To-Play". iTunes figured it out, that if you charge someone $1 a song, they'll add and add and add, not seeing that the final total paid out is more than the collection was worth if bought as a whole. Micro-Transactions are sly, and if you're not paying attention you can pay a lot more for something than it's actually worth.. The lay-away or credit-card of the future.

I wish I had thought of it.

:P

Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dysantic
Member since 2003 • 1624 Posts
The real problem with all this stuff is the people who continue to buy these DLC packages after they just paid full price for the CD. I have never bought any DLC for any game I own. I have bought a few complete editions when I didn't buy the initial release of the game to get all the DLC on one CD and I have no problem with that. I refuse to pay more for a game I already paid full price on. it just doesnt make sense... So, if everyone stopped buying the games for full price on day one and then spending even more money on DLC the next day or a few weeks after, the industry would start to think twice about doing this practice.
mav_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 mav_destroyer
Member since 2005 • 3073 Posts
That's why I support Indie games and developers. They got Retro, good graphics, multiplayer and the games are made for fun not for profit. Sometimes they do put out DLC but you know that it wasn't planned or developed before the actual game release and you know that every penny spent on it is to support individuals making a living not companies trying to find ways to rip people off. I have a strong feeling that at some point in the future big game studios will be put under a lot of pressure when the number of indie games increase and they provide better experiences for cheaper. Studios will have to either go back to their roots and make enjoyable games without pissing off customers or risk loosing them.
HardGames420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HardGames420
Member since 2011 • 233 Posts

All content was included in Dark Souls. New content didn't come out until a over a year later which was developed after the game released. They're probably the only Dev that ever did this with DLC this entire generation.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 worlock77

That's why I support Indie games and developers. They got Retro, good graphics, multiplayer and the games are made for fun not for profit. mav_destroyer

Sorry, but that just isn't true. Nobody's going to invest the kind of time and money it takes to craft even small indie games just for sh*ts 'n giggles.

mav_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mav_destroyer

[QUOTE="mav_destroyer"]That's why I support Indie games and developers. They got Retro, good graphics, multiplayer and the games are made for fun not for profit. worlock77

Sorry, but that just isn't true. Nobody's going to invest the kind of time and money it takes to craft even small indie games just for sh*ts 'n giggles.

I'm sorry as well, indie games are made because their developers genuinely enjoy making them not because they're expecting people to throw money at their small new unknown games. Unless they are established developers like Notch or Team Meat, I find it hard to believe anyone would expect their brand new indie game to suddenly become their biggest source of income.
Scyntheren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Scyntheren
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

All content was included in Dark Souls. New content didn't come out until a over a year later which was developed after the game released. They're probably the only Dev that ever did this with DLC this entire generation.

HardGames420
CD Projekt Red - The Witcher 2. The PC version of this game came out and after getting feedback from the fans that Chapter 3 was too short and left a few plot holes, they went back and created more quests, changed how the environment reacted to the quests and released it free to anyone who bought The Witcher 2 on PC.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="mav_destroyer"]That's why I support Indie games and developers. They got Retro, good graphics, multiplayer and the games are made for fun not for profit. mav_destroyer

I'm sorry as well, indie games are made because their developers genuinely enjoy making them not because they're expecting people to throw money at their small new unknown games. Unless they are established developers like Notch or Team Meat, I find it hard to believe anyone would expect their brand new indie game to suddenly become their biggest source of income.

Not that I have any love for Worlock's rather brusk way of communicating sometimes, but he's entirely correct on this one; You need to watch "Indie Game: The Movie". You'll see Team Meat, and see just how much they were/are pinning their hopes & dreams on sales figures. They're in love with games, but in the end, it's all about the Bennies... Your assessment of indie dev motivation is off the mark. The film available for streaming off Netflix, and other online sources.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="mav_destroyer"]That's why I support Indie games and developers. They got Retro, good graphics, multiplayer and the games are made for fun not for profit. mav_destroyer

Do you seriously believe that, for example, Jonathan Blow sunk $200,000 of his own money into creating 'Braid' just for fun, not hoping to make money back from it?

mav_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mav_destroyer
]

Do you seriously believe that, for example, Jonathan Blow sunk $200,000 of his own money into creating 'Braid' just for fun, not hoping to make money back from it?

worlock77
I'm not talking specific individuals here. Not all indie devs dedicate their entire time and money to making indie games. It doesn't matter how much person X puts into making his/her game, the amount of money they put in doesn't automatically mean that their game will be successful. It's a big risk. I'm not saying they absolutely don't want to make a profit from it, I'm saying they do it because they enjoy doing it. I'm sure someone with that much talent can easily find much more secure and profitable jobs to make a living. @MonkeySpot: Thanks for the heads up, I'll check that movie out.