After 10 Years, Sony Discontinues PSP

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

The PSP's days are numbered.

Sony announced today that the portable gaming device, originally launched ten years ago, will be discontinued worldwide by the end of 2014. The Associated Press reports that PSP shipments ended in North America in January, are scheduled to end in Japan this month, and will come to a close later this year in Europe. Sony is now, of course, pushing the platform's successor, the PlayStation Vita.

Sony has sold more than 76 million PSP units, though that figure is accurate as of the latest officially tally, which came two years ago. The actual lifetime sales figure is likely somewhat higher. The PSP debuted in Japan in December 2004, before coming to the West in early 2005.

The PSP enjoyed a significantly longer lifespan than the digital-only PSP Go, which Sony launched in 2009 and discontinued just two years later. Meanwhile, Sony launched the PS Vita in March 2012, and just recently released a slimmer, lighter version of the device worldwide.

What is your favorite PSP memory? Let us know

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#2 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

R.I.P Sony PSP This handheld had a great run. Making it to 10 years on the marketplace. Even though Sony never promised a 10 year lifespan. The PSP delivered anyway. Many great games for the worlds only Disc based portable gaming system

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Glad it was able to make it that long, especially after all of the flak it received from critics and the lack of attention and sales it suffered for some of it's best games. Pretty impressive length for a system that was hacked and pirated to hell. The PSP was my favorite handheld of all time, and for several years (from 2007-2010) it was my most used system period. Socom FTB2, Tekken DR, Tony Hawk Underground Remix, Motorstorm: Artic Edge, Medal of Honor: Heroes and a number of others were all games in which I easily racked up over a hundred hours in. Unfortunately, my old PSP 2000 has been missing for some time now and I've missed those days of seemingly endless fun. R.I.P PSP, you had a good run.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

Probably the only handheld I ever really enjoyed... and that's a real compliment because I hate handhelds.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#5 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

RIP PSP

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Great handheld. I still have mine and it's in darn near mint condition. I've always enjoyed handheld gaming systems...Heck, I still have my Sega Game Gear from the 90's and it works perfectly.

mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7 mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

the psp was great! i was late to the psp party and i only picked up a pspgo. however i thought it was great. as much as i dont like download only games the pspgo was done pretty well. some awesome games including 3rd birthday, dissidia 012, and patapon. Remote play was rather limited, but being able to connect to a ps3 and play some games was pretty cool.. also being able to finally be able to play psone classics like final fantasy out and about or on the toilet was awesome.. never saw that coming all those years ago..

cameroncr95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By cameroncr95
Member since 2014 • 41 Posts

Honestly I don't care. I didn't like the PSP. It was flimsy, poorly built (At least the 3000 and GO was. I never owned the other models), and many "Big" games lagged like crazy. I could hardly stay sane playing GTA Liberty City Stories.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#9 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@GameSpot: You should do this more often! Making topics doesn't hurt anyone, and i would like to think that the staff itself cares about its users

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

These Sony dudes can sometimes be weirdos really; they haven't published any sales numbers in two years ? What's wrong with them ? Anyway 76 million sales is quite a success all the same.

About the best PSP memory I can only think of Ghost of Sparta and Chains of Olympus.

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mercuria1_King
Member since 2014 • 278 Posts

I love playing my PSP, I wish Sony would of kept it alive.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#13 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

It is a shame because the PSP did had a great line-up of games during those years

DavidinCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DavidinCT
Member since 2011 • 149 Posts

Well, if your into classic gaming, if you don't use your PSP any more (I have a vita that I use more), then just mod it and put all the Emulators on it. Works great for NES, SNES, Sega master and genesis, even plays back N64 games (I have not tried but saw the emulators for it)....

I loved my PSP for many years...I still have MINT fatboy (1001)...but, I'm only using it for emulators now..

Nitro73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Nitro73
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Ah the PSP... how I loved the. I remember purchasing you fresh after midnight at launch, and enjoying WipeOut and Untold Legends. However, over the past few years, we had some falling out, but you always have a special spot in my heart.

R.I.P. my dear friend.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts

I couldnt agree more some of my best memories are with the PSP I've spent so much hours on it and it's a system that even after all this time stays as fun to play as always

@Megavideogamer said:

R.I.P Sony PSP This handheld had a great run. Making it to 10 years on the marketplace. Even though Sony never promised a 10 year lifespan. The PSP delivered anyway. Many great games for the worlds only Disc based portable gaming system

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

I just bought the UMD version of The 3rd Birthday/Parasite Eve 3 and I was contemplating buying the old disc version. I have the white PSPGO but maybe I'll get the UMD version too but it's probably spiked in price now.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

never had a reason to buy it other than the ff games. had a decent run though

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#20 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

Love the PSP may it RIP.

special-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 33

#21  Edited By special-ops
Member since 2011 • 121 Posts

I like the PSP but PS2 and PS3 still have much better games to play at home.

Avatar image for thegamingjunkie
thegamingjunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22  Edited By thegamingjunkie
Member since 2014 • 309 Posts

R.I.P PSP

The only portable gaming device I've had. Gave it away a few years ago but sure had some great memories with it.

Odd1ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Odd1ne

I was always disappointed with it I thought it had loads more potential than it showed. Loved playing wipe out on it and pinball arcade.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I wish I owned the PSP. I have always wanted to try Daxter, FF Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Final Fantasy Dissidia, Syphon Filter, Castlevania Blood of Rondo, Mega Man X, and a few others.

BackInMyDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BackInMyDay
Member since 2013 • 46 Posts

RIP Peace Playstation PSP

see what i did there

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@DavidinCT said:

Well, if your into classic gaming, if you don't use your PSP any more (I have a vita that I use more), then just mod it and put all the Emulators on it. Works great for NES, SNES, Sega master and genesis, even plays back N64 games (I have not tried but saw the emulators for it)....

I loved my PSP for many years...I still have MINT fatboy (1001)...but, I'm only using it for emulators now..

Exactly. I play more other games on that thing than actual psp games. Don't forget ANY PS1 game can be played on it too.

Mazinkaiser24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Mazinkaiser24

Never really got into the PSP. Only have 6 games on it. Too many bad ports of games that were released on other consoles and not enough good exclusives.