adding backward compatibity?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 bluedeathking
Member since 2009 • 493 Posts

If sony cant do a software update to add backward compatibitity, can they make and sell a hardward device that can hook up to the ps4 that can play ps1, ps2, ps3, and umd games? They can probally can sell it around 200 to 300 and maybe sell it also as a external hard drive for the ps4 adding more memory for games.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

No need for hardware when they're going to be streaming those games with Playstation Now.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

They can't add PS3 games to the PS4. Because of the Cell processor. They will all come digitally

robdacool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 robdacool
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts

@joseph_mach: I thought they where only going to be streaming PS3 games? Ah live and learn I suppose.

Lhomity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By Lhomity
Member since 2011 • 508 Posts

@robdacool: So far, it is PS3 only. For now.

PS Now will not be available in all regions, and there will be a lot of people who will never be able use it. And some that won't want to use it. Streaming is not appealing to everybody.

I wouldn't rule out software emulation for PS1 and PS2 in a future firmware update. Considering the value and appeal of the PS1 classics range alone, I'd say it's a good bet.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
deactivated-589cfb21cbc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
Member since 2009 • 840 Posts

@bluedeathking said:

If sony cant do a software update to add backward compatibitity, can they make and sell a hardward device that can hook up to the ps4 that can play ps1, ps2, ps3, and umd games? They can probally can sell it around 200 to 300 and maybe sell it also as a external hard drive for the ps4 adding more memory for games.

it isn't as simple as you think. they stopped making the PS3 backwards compatible because they were losing money on every sale. if they made the PS4 backwards compatible, they would have to raise the price of the PS4 so that they wouldn't lose money. its really not worth it anyway since just about everybody has a PS3 and you can get a PS2 for about $50 now. if someone really wants to play PS2 games then go get a PS2. they aren't that much anymore.

robdacool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 robdacool
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts

@Lhomity said:

@robdacool: So far, it is PS3 only. For now.

PS Now will not be available in all regions, and there will be a lot of people who will never be able use it. And some that won't want to use it. Streaming is not appealing to everybody.

I wouldn't rule out software emulation for PS1 and PS2 in a future firmware update. Considering the value and appeal of the PS1 classics range alone, I'd say it's a good bet.

I wasn't even aware PS Now would include PS1 & PS2 games ever. Well good news as a PS1 collector, that if they never add BC the prices of PS1 games wont go up lol