A good PSP fantasy game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 LordTrexGuy
Member since 2008 • 504 Posts

I really want a PSP game with a fantasy flavor. The game shouldn't have:

Sprites
Turn-based combat
Spiky haired Japanese kids with half cannon swords

The game shouldn't be necessarily free-roam, any genre would work. The story and combat should be interesting as well. I want something like Skyrim or Castlevania Lords of Shadow and combat is not essential. Any recommendations?

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

combat should be interessting but not necessairy? Guess that's rather hard to find. But I suggest games like Disgaea or ZHP, not sure if they are your type though

dispsp01.jpg

ZHP_shot6.jpg

I suggest checking out the recommendation-thread-http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/26840229/the-new-psp-recommendation-thread---resurrected-once-again

shinigami-uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 shinigami-uk
Member since 2006 • 148 Posts

combat should be interessting but not necessairy? Guess that's rather hard to find. But I suggest games like Disgaea or ZHP, not sure if they are your type though

dispsp01.jpg

ZHP_shot6.jpg

I suggest checking out the recommendation-thread-http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/26840229/the-new-psp-recommendation-thread---resurrected-once-again

ArchoNils2
That second picture has a spiky hair cannon sword wielding sprite based character, which is probably in a turnbased combat game. XDXDXD Basically recommended something he definitely doesn't want to play.
dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dsrules13
Member since 2010 • 1624 Posts

Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep both have characters with spiky hair but other than that seem to fit your wants.

There is also Ys Seven and Phantasy Star Portable. Both of those seem to match your descriptions fairly well.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Error, the parameters you have specified did not yield any results. Please try again later.

Maybe Persona 1 and 2.

dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dsrules13

Error, the parameters you have specified did not yield any results. Please try again later.

Maybe Persona 1 and 2.

Gxgear

Persona's are great games, but are turn-based.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Maybe Persona 1 and 2.

dsrules13

Oh, I read it as him wanting turn-based RPGs.

Monster Hunter then.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

[QUOTE="dsrules13"]

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Maybe Persona 1 and 2.

Gxgear

Oh, I read it as him wanting turn-based RPGs.

Monster Hunter then.

I I overread the n't as well, sorry for that. Yeah I guess Monster Hunter is your best bet

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

I don't think you'll really like it but here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBhkOi7JEIA

Untold Legends.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LordTrexGuy

I'm done with Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts and also finished upto HR9 in MHFU. And by spiky haired dudes, I meant NO ANIME, because those games suck. Any other suggestions?

dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dsrules13

I'm done with Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts and also finished upto HR9 in MHFU. And by spiky haired dudes, I meant NO ANIME, because those games suck. Any other suggestions?

LordTrexGuy

Ys Seven is a good exploration game with lots of loot and a good fantasy theme. It has good hack and slash action. The other Ys games on the PSP have sprites but if I remember correctly this is one is 3D, and its a great game.

Also there is Phantasy Star and Phantasy Star 2.

Check these games out and see if they're your taste. If not, I'll try to come up with something else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#12 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

dsrules13

Ys Seven is a good exploration game with lots of loot and a good fantasy theme. It has good hack and slash action. The other Ys games on the PSP have sprites but if I remember correctly this is one is 3D, and its a great game.

Check these games out and see if they're your taste. If not, I'll try to come up with something else.

My guess is that LordTrexGuy isn't going to like YS or Phantasy Star because they are Japanese games with anime-style artwork. Idk what to suggest. Just go look at the list of PSP games in North America (or wherever you're from) on Wikipedia, and check them out for yourself.
dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dsrules13

[QUOTE="dsrules13"]

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

Ovirew

My guess is that LordTrexGuy isn't going to like YS or Phantasy Star because they are Japanese games with anime-style artwork. Idk what to suggest. Just go look at the list of PSP games in North America (or wherever you're from) on Wikipedia, and check them out for yourself.

They do have some anime style but they aren't sprites. And I though that was what he was emphasizing because he was able to play Crisis Core, which has a Japanese style.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
They do have some anime style but they aren't sprites. And I thought that was what he was emphasizing because he was able to play Crisis Core, which has a Japanese style.dsrules13
Well, I don't know if he actually liked those games. He might be looking for something different altogether.
dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dsrules13

[QUOTE="dsrules13"]They do have some anime style but they aren't sprites. And I thought that was what he was emphasizing because he was able to play Crisis Core, which has a Japanese style.Ovirew
Well, I don't know if he actually liked those games. He might be looking for something different altogether.

He said he completed both Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts, most people don't complete games they don't like. And if you can find something that fits all his descriptions while being different in gameplay than go right ahead. He said he didn't want turn-based, so if you avoid action rpgs then your choices are pretty limited.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts
Tales?
LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LordTrexGuy

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

dsrules13

Phantasy Star series is okay I guess and I found Ys Seven very boring. Something like Monster Hunter?

dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dsrules13

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure you would like Ys but its an action rpg so I threw it out there.

It seems as though you've played a lot of the good games that fit your description. The only other rpg that comes to mind is the aformentioned Phantasy Star.

You did mention Castlevania in you original post, and there is one on the psp, Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. If you haven't played that.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LordTrexGuy

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure you would like Ys but its an action rpg so I threw it out there.

It seems as though you've played a lot of the good games that fit your description. The only other rpg that comes to mind is the aformentioned Phantasy Star.

You did mention Castlevania in you original post, and there is one on the psp, Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. If you haven't played that.

dsrules13

I played that game and it's not much fantasy, more of a platformer. Thanks for all your recommendations but I'm sure that by now, you've probably run out of all possible game recommendations. Seems devs are only obsessed with sprite turn based rubbish because they are so cheap and easy to make.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Seems devs are only obsessed with sprite turn based rubbish because they are so cheap and easy to make.LordTrexGuy
Well hey, maybe you don't like games with anime artwork or turn-based battle systems, but some of us do. And Maybe a lot of Japanese RPGs are similar or cheap to make, but they're hardly the worst offenders. How about all of those game companies that rip gamers off year after year, but still make out like bandits? Activision gets away with charging people $15/mo for an MMO that came out in 2004, and keeps making minor changes to COD but somehow each year's new iteration of the series sells like hotcakes. Capcom charges people for content that they lock on the game discs, and keep making fighting games that mix characters from different fighting games, which really aren't all that different to begin with. How about how just about every game company gouges gamers by making day-one DLC and making most DLC more expensive than it's really worth? I can't think of too many JRPGs that are over-priced to be quite honest. You buy a Disgaea game, you can keep working on that for years. You buy New Super Mario Bros. for $35 and get a few hours of entertainment, but the game stays the same price for an insane period of time. Today I saw the game and checked its price, and it rang up $30. I was shocked, a game that came out back in like 2006 is still at pretty much the same price as it was at launch. Compare this to Advance Wars Dual Strike, which came out in (I think) 2005. I got the game at the end of 2006, brand new, for $20. Advance Wars has a crapload of depth and is a fun turn-based strategy game series. But it only took a year for that game to drop in price - it seems to take an eternity for a Mario or Pokemon game to do the same.
dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dsrules13

[QUOTE="dsrules13"]

LordTrexGuy

I played that game and it's not much fantasy, more of a platformer. Thanks for all your recommendations but I'm sure that by now, you've probably run out of all possible game recommendations. Seems devs are only obsessed with sprite turn based rubbish because they are so cheap and easy to make.

JRPGs are far from rubbish, but I'll try to keep from echoing Ovirew's sentiments. Bottom line is JRPGs are great games with lots of depth and value. They aren't always focused on providing 3D graphics as they're not always necessary. I love JRPGs. RPGs are my favorite genre and I often prefer ones with the "traditional" turn-based system. Persona 3 and Disgaea 2 are my favorite PSP games, both utilizing sprites.

Unfortunately the games with a fantasy flavor are usually JRPGs, often have sprites, and are often turn-based. And the ones that aren't you have already played.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LordTrexGuy

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]Seems devs are only obsessed with sprite turn based rubbish because they are so cheap and easy to make.Ovirew
Well hey, maybe you don't like games with anime artwork or turn-based battle systems, but some of us do. And Maybe a lot of Japanese RPGs are similar or cheap to make, but they're hardly the worst offenders. How about all of those game companies that rip gamers off year after year, but still make out like bandits? Activision gets away with charging people $15/mo for an MMO that came out in 2004, and keeps making minor changes to COD but somehow each year's new iteration of the series sells like hotcakes. Capcom charges people for content that they lock on the game discs, and keep making fighting games that mix characters from different fighting games, which really aren't all that different to begin with. How about how just about every game company gouges gamers by making day-one DLC and making most DLC more expensive than it's really worth? I can't think of too many JRPGs that are over-priced to be quite honest. You buy a Disgaea game, you can keep working on that for years. You buy New Super Mario Bros. for $35 and get a few hours of entertainment, but the game stays the same price for an insane period of time. Today I saw the game and checked its price, and it rang up $30. I was shocked, a game that came out back in like 2006 is still at pretty much the same price as it was at launch. Compare this to Advance Wars Dual Strike, which came out in (I think) 2005. I got the game at the end of 2006, brand new, for $20. Advance Wars has a crapload of depth and is a fun turn-based strategy game series. But it only took a year for that game to drop in price - it seems to take an eternity for a Mario or Pokemon game to do the same.

I agree with you about WoW and COD being cheap, both developed to rip off customers of their money but about Capcom, even on-disc DLC beats anime games any time. The reason JRPGs are so cheap is because they are stale now. Nobody likes to see big-eyed, spike haired dudes (which according to Japan devs are handsome) going around a generic fantasy world killing dogs from hell and fight in turns. Mario and Pokemon, on the other hand are still expensive because they contain characters which the whole world loves. Seriously, I would rather flick channels to Animax and watch something there rather than pay $20 and play some boring sh!t. If you still do love turn-based sprite games, then it's time my friend that you moved on to something into which more effort has been poured.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
If you still do love turn-based sprite games, then it's time my friend that you moved on to something into which more effort has been poured. LordTrexGuy
No way did you just tell me what I should and should not like. And maybe those Japanese are pretty smart because I do find many JRPG protagonists to be good-looking and heroic. Look at what the rest of the world identifies with - a fat Italian plumber. Yeah, I'm weird alright...
dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dsrules13

[QUOTE="Ovirew"][QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]Seems devs are only obsessed with sprite turn based rubbish because they are so cheap and easy to make.LordTrexGuy

I agree with you about WoW and COD being cheap, both developed to rip off customers of their money but about Capcom, even on-disc DLC beats anime games any time. The reason JRPGs are so cheap is because they are stale now. Nobody likes to see big-eyed, spike haired dudes (which according to Japan devs are handsome) going around a generic fantasy world killing dogs from hell and fight in turns. Mario and Pokemon, on the other hand are still expensive because they contain characters which the whole world loves. Seriously, I would rather flick channels to Animax and watch something there rather than pay $20 and play some boring sh!t. If you still do love turn-based sprite games, then it's time my friend that you moved on to something into which more effort has been poured.

Just because you have a different taste doesn't mean mine or Ovirew's is wrong. And not all JRPGs are traditional, I have trouble getting through some of the more traditional offerings such as Dragon Quest IV. But games like Persona take a fresher take on the genre. I like the turn-based system. In a lot of games it takes strategic planning, unlike the hack-and-slash of action rpgs with the 3D graphics. And not just JRPGs have generic fantasy worlds. Look at Skyrim or Oblivion. Sure they have many unique things to them, but are very generic in the monsters, characters, architecture, items, etc.

Just because they have sprites doesn't mean they have less effort poured in then any other game, I don't understand why this is difficult to understand. They are a different style, not necessarily a worse style. JRPGs put stock in different aspects of the game. Think about everything that must be designed in an RPG. Then look at how long they are, often 30-40+ hours. I'll give you an example, Disgaea. It's a strategy rpg with sprites released on PS2 with mutiple sequels, two of them ported to the PSP. You can level up your characters to 9,999 if you want to, there are over 100 classes of characters to choose from, there are tons of unlockable stages and bosses piled on to the main storyline, and every single item in the game has something like a 100 stage world. I'll repeat that, every item in the game has a 100 stage world if you want to level it up. Plenty of people spend in excess of 250 hours with the game, but it offers almost infinite content. So if the game wants to use sprites, that shows no lack of effort to me.

Compare that to a platformer. Most will take you less than 10 hours. And you often have one or maybe two playable characters.

And speaking of sprite games and platformers, look at Rayman Origins. Some of the most beautiful animated sprites I've ever seen. And it is critically acclaimed, received extremely high scores and was praised for its graphics, praised.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LordTrexGuy

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

[QUOTE="Ovirew"]Well hey, maybe you don't like games with anime artwork or turn-based battle systems, but some of us do. And Maybe a lot of Japanese RPGs are similar or cheap to make, but they're hardly the worst offenders. How about all of those game companies that rip gamers off year after year, but still make out like bandits? Activision gets away with charging people $15/mo for an MMO that came out in 2004, and keeps making minor changes to COD but somehow each year's new iteration of the series sells like hotcakes. Capcom charges people for content that they lock on the game discs, and keep making fighting games that mix characters from different fighting games, which really aren't all that different to begin with. How about how just about every game company gouges gamers by making day-one DLC and making most DLC more expensive than it's really worth? I can't think of too many JRPGs that are over-priced to be quite honest. You buy a Disgaea game, you can keep working on that for years. You buy New Super Mario Bros. for $35 and get a few hours of entertainment, but the game stays the same price for an insane period of time. Today I saw the game and checked its price, and it rang up $30. I was shocked, a game that came out back in like 2006 is still at pretty much the same price as it was at launch. Compare this to Advance Wars Dual Strike, which came out in (I think) 2005. I got the game at the end of 2006, brand new, for $20. Advance Wars has a crapload of depth and is a fun turn-based strategy game series. But it only took a year for that game to drop in price - it seems to take an eternity for a Mario or Pokemon game to do the same.dsrules13

Just because you have a different taste doesn't mean mine or Ovirew's is wrong. And not all JRPGs are traditional, I have trouble getting through some of the more traditional offerings such as Dragon Quest IV. But games like Persona take a fresher take on the genre. I like the turn-based system. In a lot of games it takes strategic planning, unlike the hack-and-slash of action rpgs with the 3D graphics. And not just JRPGs have generic fantasy worlds. Look at Skyrim or Oblivion. Sure they have many unique things to them, but are very generic in the monsters, characters, architecture, items, etc.

Just because they have sprites doesn't mean they have less effort poured in then any other game, I don't understand why this is difficult to understand. They are a different style, not necessarily a worse style. JRPGs put stock in different aspects of the game. Think about everything that must be designed in an RPG. Then look at how long they are, often 30-40+ hours. I'll give you an example, Disgaea. It's a strategy rpg with sprites released on PS2 with mutiple sequels, two of them ported to the PSP. You can level up your characters to 9,999 if you want to, there are over 100 classes of characters to choose from, there are tons of unlockable stages and bosses piled on to the main storyline, and every single item in the game has something like a 100 stage world. I'll repeat that, every item in the game has a 100 stage world if you want to level it up. Plenty of people spend in excess of 250 hours with the game, but it offers almost infinite content. So if the game wants to use sprites, that shows no lack of effort to me.

Compare that to a platformer. Most will take you less than 10 hours. And you often have one or maybe two playable characters.

And speaking of sprite games and platformers, look at Rayman Origins. Some of the most beautiful animated sprites I've ever seen. And it is critically acclaimed, received extremely high scores and was praised for its graphics, praised.

I simply cannot understand why someone would like Persona. I never complained about sprites, isn't Super Mario Bros also a sprite-based game? I love it. But turn-based combat is something completely different. It's a lack of effort on the dev's part to create good combat. Most of these games have the same animation for almost every move, its just that the moves have different names. If it is so difficult for them to make good combat, they should rather stop making games or go pacifist. Talking about item levels in Disgaea, yes, you can see a number magically increasing next to an item and this number is the stage world, but in Skyrim, you can turn around an object to see it in full 3D and enchanting it gives it a unique shader too, which imo, is much more interesting than seeing an icon change. And lets compare it to a platformer. Disgaea may give you a million hours playtime, but I would rather love just an hour with something like LittleBigPlanet where more work has been put in. And if the JRPGs absolutely require to made in sprites, why don't the devs try to at least make them look good?

And Rayman Origins is by Ubisoft who are not Japanese. They put at least some effort in trying to polish their work, unlike JRPG devs, who just want quick cash from cheap games, using the same animations and recycling the same ideas over and over.

Tarek_na

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Tarek_na
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts

[QUOTE="dsrules13"]

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

LordTrexGuy

I simply cannot understand why someone would like Persona. I never complained about sprites, isn't Super Mario Bros also a sprite-based game? I love it. But turn-based combat is something completely different. It's a lack of effort on the dev's part to create good combat. Most of these games have the same animation for almost every move, its just that the moves have different names. If it is so difficult for them to make good combat, they should rather stop making games or go pacifist. Talking about item levels in Disgaea, yes, you can see a number magically increasing next to an item and this number is the stage world, but in Skyrim, you can turn around an object to see it in full 3D and enchanting it gives it a unique shader too, which imo, is much more interesting than seeing an icon change. And lets compare it to a platformer. Disgaea may give you a million hours playtime, but I would rather love just an hour with something like LittleBigPlanet where more work has been put in. And if the JRPGs absolutely require to made in sprites, why don't the devs try to at least make them look good?

And Rayman Origins is by Ubisoft who are not Japanese. They put at least some effort in trying to polish their work, unlike JRPG devs, who just want quick cash from cheap games, using the same animations and recycling the same ideas over and over.

I dont know about persona and other J-RPG'S but i'm pretty sure that Square-Enix puts a lot of budget to its games and put alot of effort to it i never liked other J-RPG games other than Square mainly Final Fantasy Series which i'm sure you dont like since i've read the comments

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 j2zon2591

[QUOTE="Ovirew"][QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]Seems devs are only obsessed with sprite turn based rubbish because they are so cheap and easy to make.LordTrexGuy

Like what?.. on the PSP? Haven't seen skyrim on the device yet LOL. What's your defacto WPRG standards btw? Not trying to be condescending here but was just curious about your taste.. and for the PSP games as well.
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#29 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
For some reason Kingdom of Paradise comes to mind. I haven't played it, but it was supposed to have flashy (real-time) combat and a good presentation. Japanese, but based more on mythology than anime culture, as far as I can tell.
LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LordTrexGuy

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

[QUOTE="Ovirew"]Well hey, maybe you don't like games with anime artwork or turn-based battle systems, but some of us do. And Maybe a lot of Japanese RPGs are similar or cheap to make, but they're hardly the worst offenders. How about all of those game companies that rip gamers off year after year, but still make out like bandits? Activision gets away with charging people $15/mo for an MMO that came out in 2004, and keeps making minor changes to COD but somehow each year's new iteration of the series sells like hotcakes. Capcom charges people for content that they lock on the game discs, and keep making fighting games that mix characters from different fighting games, which really aren't all that different to begin with. How about how just about every game company gouges gamers by making day-one DLC and making most DLC more expensive than it's really worth? I can't think of too many JRPGs that are over-priced to be quite honest. You buy a Disgaea game, you can keep working on that for years. You buy New Super Mario Bros. for $35 and get a few hours of entertainment, but the game stays the same price for an insane period of time. Today I saw the game and checked its price, and it rang up $30. I was shocked, a game that came out back in like 2006 is still at pretty much the same price as it was at launch. Compare this to Advance Wars Dual Strike, which came out in (I think) 2005. I got the game at the end of 2006, brand new, for $20. Advance Wars has a crapload of depth and is a fun turn-based strategy game series. But it only took a year for that game to drop in price - it seems to take an eternity for a Mario or Pokemon game to do the same.j2zon2591

Like what?.. on the PSP? Haven't seen skyrim on the device yet LOL. What's your defacto WPRG standards btw? Not trying to be condescending here but was just curious about your taste.. and for the PSP games as well.

I never mentioned Skyrim on the PSP, did I? I was referring to maybe Monster Hunter Freedom Unite or Crisis Core or KH:Birth By Sleep, if you want to know. My WRPG standards are what WRPGs are supposed to be and its quite easy to tell that. Like Skyrim or Dark Souls.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LordTrexGuy

I dont know about persona and other J-RPG'S but i'm pretty sure that Square-Enix puts a lot of budget to its games and put alot of effort to it i never liked other J-RPG games other than Square mainly Final Fantasy Series which i'm sure you dont like since i've read the comments

Tarek_na

Tried to play FFIV. Game sucks @$$. Vibrating sprites which aren't even animated? Invisible enemies in the ground? Really, I thought this was one sprite turn-based game I was gonna like, but then it turned out to be crap. Even the turn-based system, in comparison to other turn-based games, sucks.

dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dsrules13

[QUOTE="dsrules13"]

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

LordTrexGuy

Well you say you don't have a problem with sprites or 2D games, and yet call them lazy. And according to your logic Rayman Origins shows a lack of effort because it is 2D, which it clearly does not. Little Big Planet does not have more work put into it than Disgaea, Disgaea has an incredible amount of content and to say that is made by lazy people is completely inaccurate. Once again your bias is against the visual and gameplay style of the game, but its content is more impressive as illustrated by all the examples I offered in my previous post.. It seems as though you are more focused on games that are visually pleasing than ones with content. And can you please explain how a turn-based system is lazy? It is a strategic system that requires thought, sure its a different and traditional style, but in no way is it lazy. The systems and depth it offers make it a great system. And I like the tangible effect that leveling up has, you see an immediate impact in damage and abilities.
j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 j2zon2591

[QUOTE="j2zon2591"][QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

LordTrexGuy

I never mentioned Skyrim on the PSP, did I? I was referring to maybe Monster Hunter Freedom Unite or Crisis Core or KH:Birth By Sleep, if you want to know. My WRPG standards are what WRPGs are supposed to be and its quite easy to tell that. Like Skyrim or Dark Souls.

Ahh.. Skyrim and Dark Souls eh.. I wish they had something like that for the PSP.. CC and BBS are pretty big titles for an RPG. So have you found any? I think Untold Legends looks like the nearest we'll have for the PSP and it looks kinda meh.. have you tried that? How about Key of Heaven?
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#34 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
That's what I said! Key/Kingdom of Heaven! Kingdom in the US, I think.
LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LordTrexGuy

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

[QUOTE="dsrules13"]

dsrules13

Well you say you don't have a problem with sprites or 2D games, and yet call them lazy. And according to your logic Rayman Origins shows a lack of effort because it is 2D, which it clearly does not. Little Big Planet does not have more work put into it than Disgaea, Disgaea has an incredible amount of content and to say that is made by lazy people is completely inaccurate. Once again your bias is against the visual and gameplay style of the game, but its content is more impressive as illustrated by all the examples I offered in my previous post.. It seems as though you are more focused on games that are visually pleasing than ones with content. And can you please explain how a turn-based system is lazy? It is a strategic system that requires thought, sure its a different and traditional style, but in no way is it lazy. The systems and depth it offers make it a great system. And I like the tangible effect that leveling up has, you see an immediate impact in damage and abilities.

If you noticed, I said Rayman was far better than any JRPG and not bad at all. And LBP does have more work put into it than Persona. LBP is all 3D with a level creator and tons of levels online. Disgaea on the other hand is full 2D, and Persona is seemingly without any effort put into its combat. Turn-based combat is just an excuse for laziness of devs. It's lazy because all you do is stand there until you see a move with a fancy name. You select this name and a cheap animation of a guy thrusting his weapon into the air randomly plays. Then you see big numbers telling you how much dmg. you dealt with that unattached sword blow. Real time combat requires more thinking. Take MHFU for an example, where charging your greatsword at the correct angle and distance requires more strategy than selecting the move which is likely to deal most damage. And in real-time combat, anything can happen compared to animation locked fights.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LordTrexGuy

Sure, I'm gonna check out Kingdom/Key of Heaven. Thanks for the recommendation anyways.

dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dsrules13

[QUOTE="dsrules13"][QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

LordTrexGuy

If you noticed, I said Rayman was far better than any JRPG and not bad at all. And LBP does have more work put into it than Persona. LBP is all 3D with a level creator and tons of levels online. Disgaea on the other hand is full 2D, and Persona is seemingly without any effort put into its combat. Turn-based combat is just an excuse for laziness of devs. It's lazy because all you do is stand there until you see a move with a fancy name. You select this name and a cheap animation of a guy thrusting his weapon into the air randomly plays. Then you see big numbers telling you how much dmg. you dealt with that unattached sword blow. Real time combat requires more thinking. Take MHFU for an example, where charging your greatsword at the correct angle and distance requires more strategy than selecting the move which is likely to deal most damage. And in real-time combat, anything can happen compared to animation locked fights.

I did notice you said Rayman is good, but by your logic all 2D games are lazy and therefore Rayman is as well. But besides that, LBP does not have more work put in. You mentioned a level creator and online sharing. That is user created content, not dev created content. So the levels you get are not a product of work by the devs. And if you take that away you get some levels and a level creator. Woo-hoo.

To say that action rpgs take more strategy is simply laughable. Many are mindless hack and slash button mashers, with some obvious exceptions. To say Skyrim requires more thought than Disgaea or Tactics Ogre is wrong, they are "strategy rpgs". My little cousin can play Skyrim, its not that complex. He sure as heck can't play Disgaea. Just to clarify, thought, I did immensely enjoy Skyrim. Skyrim does have lots of good systems such as skill trees, and so to compare any game to it is unfair, whether a fellow ARPG or JRPG or SRPG. But its gameplay is still simplistic, in general I enjoy turn-based games more. Turn based games allow for more strategy and more complex systems. Sure turn-based games repeat animations, but so do action rpgs. You have the same slashing motion every time. And the same animation when you use a magic spell over and over. So its not all that different, 3D graphics just make it look fancy. And so it seems that your problem is rooted in the aesthetics, not the actual gameplay. It may come across as boring to you because it isn't frantic and high-paced, but it just a different style that allows for thought.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LordTrexGuy

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

[QUOTE="dsrules13"] Well you say you don't have a problem with sprites or 2D games, and yet call them lazy. And according to your logic Rayman Origins shows a lack of effort because it is 2D, which it clearly does not. Little Big Planet does not have more work put into it than Disgaea, Disgaea has an incredible amount of content and to say that is made by lazy people is completely inaccurate. Once again your bias is against the visual and gameplay style of the game, but its content is more impressive as illustrated by all the examples I offered in my previous post.. It seems as though you are more focused on games that are visually pleasing than ones with content. And can you please explain how a turn-based system is lazy? It is a strategic system that requires thought, sure its a different and traditional style, but in no way is it lazy. The systems and depth it offers make it a great system. And I like the tangible effect that leveling up has, you see an immediate impact in damage and abilities.dsrules13

I did notice you said Rayman is good, but by your logic all 2D games are lazy and therefore Rayman is as well. But besides that, LBP does not have more work put in. You mentioned a level creator and online sharing. That is user created content, not dev created content. So the levels you get are not a product of work by the devs. And if you take that away you get some levels and a level creator. Woo-hoo.

To say that action rpgs take more strategy is simply laughable. Many are mindless hack and slash button mashers, with some obvious exceptions. To say Skyrim requires more thought than Disgaea or Tactics Ogre is wrong, they are "strategy rpgs". My little cousin can play Skyrim, its not that complex. He sure as heck can't play Disgaea. Just to clarify, thought, I did immensely enjoy Skyrim. Skyrim does have lots of good systems such as skill trees, and so to compare any game to it is unfair, whether a fellow ARPG or JRPG or SRPG. But its gameplay is still simplistic, in general I enjoy turn-based games more. Turn based games allow for more strategy and more complex systems. Sure turn-based games repeat animations, but so do action rpgs. You have the same slashing motion every time. And the same animation when you use a magic spell over and over. So its not all that different, 3D graphics just make it look fancy. And so it seems that your problem is rooted in the aesthetics, not the actual gameplay. It may come across as boring to you because it isn't frantic and high-paced, but it just a different style that allows for thought.

Skyrim does have terrible combat and doesn't set a high standard, but what about Monster Hunter? That series has amazing combat. There is also Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. There is a ton of other games with real time combat much better than Skyrim. If your cousin could play Skyrim easily, it's because that game has no combat strategy. I bet he, or you for that matter, won't be able to play Dark Souls, it requires a hell lot of more thinking than Disgaea or Persona. Even Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is tough for beginners, unlike turn-based games where you instantly know which move looks cool and does a lot of damage.

One more thing, have you ever played Castle Crashers? Are there any similar games on the PSP, with similar style and gameplay?

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 j2zon2591

IDK.. I found P3P needing just as much thought as DS.. No way near as much REFLEX though haha!

One thing I like about turn based combat for on the go is the "set your own pace".

For games that require real time reflex, I find them to be better played at a more home setting.. That's because I find it hard to focus with lots of external stimuli outside the house and always feel like I need to be aware of my surroundings when on a public vehicle xD

Goodluck TC!

Hope we get a Dark Souls-ish game for handhelds soon!

dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dsrules13

[QUOTE="dsrules13"]

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

LordTrexGuy

Skyrim does have terrible combat and doesn't set a high standard, but what about Monster Hunter? That series has amazing combat. There is also Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. There is a ton of other games with real time combat much better than Skyrim. If your cousin could play Skyrim easily, it's because that game has no combat strategy. I bet he, or you for that matter, won't be able to play Dark Souls, it requires a hell lot of more thinking than Disgaea or Persona. Even Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is tough for beginners, unlike turn-based games where you instantly know which move looks cool and does a lot of damage.

One more thing, have you ever played Castle Crashers? Are there any similar games on the PSP, with similar style and gameplay?

I have actually played Dark Souls and I did enjoy it, one of the most refreshing games this gen. I was surprised to see Demon Souls got a sequel. I really wanted to play the first but I don't have a PS3. I'm surprised how well it sold. I would think most people would just give up. So yes, I am able to play it. But I actually find it as an exception to rule, as its difficulty almost demands strategy. Whereas other action rpgs without that level of difficulty don't require nearly as much strategy. If you took away that factor it wouldn't be quite as strategic, but still more so than most.

I actually have played a lot of action rpgs on consoles, but I find them less than ideal on handhelds. I do enjoy the genre quite a bit, I do recognize the strategy involved with Dark Souls, but I think that in general turn-based games require more strategy. As I said there are exceptions, but in general APRGs are not as thought-provoking.

As far as Monster Hunter, the combat is pretty nice. I played I believe the second Freedom game. But because of the wonky camera and long missions that I don't find ideal for handheld games, I didn't see the game through very far. I haven't played Dragon's Dogma because the pawn system turned me off. I did play Kingdoms of Amalur and to my surprise, didn't like it. I found the combat to mainly just rely on flow and after a while I found it boring. And no, I haven't played Castle Crashers. I'm aware of what it is, but I don't play a lot of downloadable games.

RasAlgethi28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RasAlgethi28
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

dispsp01.jpg

ZHP_shot6.jpg

ArchoNils2

What game is the second pic from?