60GB PS3... reliable? (Getting used)

#1 Edited by cameroncr95 (39 posts) -

I'm getting a used PS3, probably tomorrow, pretty cheap. But I need suggestions. Is it at all reliable? How much heat does it generate? I would like a system that will last for at very least 2 years or so until I can save up for a PS4. (I am poor, lol)

Just I am just curious.

#2 Edited by YoshiYogurt (5978 posts) -

No, it could break on you any day. I recommend putting new thermal paste in.

#3 Edited by Notorious1234NA (765 posts) -

@cameroncr95: just live without.

A cheap ps3 means refurbished which means YLODwhich means person trying to rip you off. Actually its SONY since they knowingly sold a lot of defective units when they used cheap thermal paste to reduce costs google it or just open it up and see.

#4 Edited by GH05T-666 (298 posts) -

@cameroncr95 Good choice getting the 60GB backwards compatible model PS3.

Be careful though, they were the first PS3 to be released so they are the oldest and probably most likely to die soon.

When I sold mine before PS4 came out the disc drive was starting to not eject the discs all the way, so be wary of the disc drive and that model PS3 run hot so don't box it up in a TV cabinet or something that restricts airflow. If you are getting it very cheap buy it, if not don't was your money.

#5 Posted by littlestreakier (2924 posts) -

@cameroncr95 said:

I'm getting a used PS3, probably tomorrow, pretty cheap. But I need suggestions. Is it at all reliable? How much heat does it generate? I would like a system that will last for at very least 2 years or so until I can save up for a PS4. (I am poor, lol)

Just I am just curious.

I wouldn't, my friend's YLOD on him. My 40GB fatty PS3 HDMI failed :(. If you can I would go with the slim PS3, since Sony probably worked all of the kinks out.

#6 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8508 posts) -

I have a fat 60gb ls3 I bought about a year after launch and it runs perfect never had a single problem.