$600 Worth PS3. PS3 Worth $600

This topic is locked from further discussion.

arabi_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 arabi_89
Member since 2006 • 1299 Posts

Any1 thinks that the PS3, the console is worth $600. I heard many complains regarding PS3's price.

But Does the PS3 give u back $600 worth of Entertainment. Providing that The Ps3 acts like a PC, Movie player, Music player and a next gen gaming console. any1 agree with this?

jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jwat4
Member since 2003 • 1934 Posts

Any1 thinks that the PS3, the console is worth $600. I heard many complains regarding PS3's price.

But Does the PS3 give u back $600 worth of Entertainment. Providing that The Ps3 acts like a PC, Movie player, Music player and a next gen gaming console. any1 agree with this?

arabi_89
Uh I got the 20GB for $500...and yes it does give me atleast $500 worth of Entertainment...I really enjoy the Blu-Ray movies...and games well they are coming...and coming fast Virtua Fighter 5 tomorrow, MLB 2k7 and F1 next week...Motorstorm, NBA Street, Def Jam: ICON the week after.... Yeah its worth the money...and no its not like a PC...I own 3 and not a single one of them serves the same purpose...different games and different control style...I like a controller much more than a Keyboard and mouse..and at the same time I prefer to use my computer for windows apps like MS Word and Excel...I dont think they are the same...similar in that they play music and games but different in the way the media is presented...
Segitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Segitz
Member since 2004 • 64 Posts
Yes
Sedin44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sedin44
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts

People are right. The Ps3 is not worth $600...its worth more.  People are just complaining now because theirs currently a lack of good games. This is temporary.  People claim that the other systems are a better deal...But correct me if im wrong on this...Another hi def console + HDDVD with only a 20gb harddrive is 600.  So ok thats pretty close.  Now lets take into account the fact that sony makes a reliable product.  I rather spend 600 dollars once than 400$ 2 or 3 times.  Or maybe 400+130ish for repairs.  But thats just me. 

O yeah and its the cheapest blu-ray by far on the market.

Your reply..."But I dont even want it and sony is sticking it down our throats"

My reply "Get a different system if you dont want it because blu-ray is here to stay"

arabi_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 arabi_89

no its not like a PC...I own 3 and not a single one of them serves the same purpose...different games and different control style...I like a controller much more than a Keyboard and mouse..and at the same time I prefer to use my computer for windows apps like MS Word and Excel...I dont think they are the same...

About the pc part i meant that u can install linux on ur ps3 and it would act like a pc and if u buy a keyboard and a mouse it will be as good as a normal PC. so insted of spending around $2000 on a new pc. u can get the ps3 and better gaming experience..

jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jwat4

About the pc part i meant that u can install linux on ur ps3 and it would act like a pc and if u buy a keyboard and a mouse it will be as good as a normal PC. so insted of spending around $2000 on a new pc. u can get the ps3 and better gaming experience..arabi_89

Well I guess yeah I could agree with you in that sense...really though most PCs that would perform those functions..music, movies, and word processing are only $500-$800 so yes I agree that the PS3 is versitile enough to do those things...but at the same time its not as easy. I still dont think you could substitute a PC with a PS3...not yet atleast...

ringbling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ringbling
Member since 2004 • 969 Posts
...and yet again, who CARES?
Doolum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Doolum
Member since 2004 • 3282 Posts
Yeah its wirth it. But dont believe me.get it and find it ut by yourself:)
DrkRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DrkRaptor
Member since 2004 • 146 Posts
though i got a 360, doesnt mean im a fanboy.   i will be getting my girl a wii and will get myself a PS3.  to me, right now the PS3 is deffinatly not worth the 600 bucks as is to many other people.   perhaps when the system gains many more games that seem to be worth to me  then i will make that investmint.   blu ray?  dont care, multimedia??  got a laptop.   till then i guess ill just wait for the many exclusives come out.
Sedin44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sedin44
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
though i got a 360, doesnt mean im a fanboy.   i will be getting my girl a wii and will get myself a PS3.  to me, right now the PS3 is deffinatly not worth the 600 bucks as is to many other people.   perhaps when the system gains many more games that seem to be worth to me  then i will make that investmint.   blu ray?  dont care, multimedia??  got a laptop.   till then i guess ill just wait for the many exclusives come out.DrkRaptor
Not sure I blame you. Between your 360 and laptop you have enough. I think that goes to show though that to some people is worth that 600 dollars because it allows them to have everything in one package, including blue-ray.
Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

arabi_89
Thats an incredibly stupid question to ask on the PS3 forums. Go away troll.
Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
Uhmm, considering I got half of its price selling my PS 2 without games, so I only paid other 300 and I can STILL play all my games, and upcoming too. Yes its more than worth it. Iget the old games so I can finish them and the new games too
bballboy986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bballboy986
Member since 2003 • 272 Posts

Now lets take into account the fact that sony makes a reliable product.  I rather spend 600 dollars once than 400$ 2 or 3 times.  Or maybe 400+130ish for repairs."

Sedin44
I owned 4 PS2s over its lifespan and 1 xbox. Granted neither my ps3 or 360 have crapped out yet, but all hardware runs into problems. Your hardly able to call ANY electronics manufacturer faultless when it comes to hardware problems.
marcellus252

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 marcellus252
Member since 2003 • 205 Posts
In my opinion, I think that the people that decided to hold out on getting a 360 will get more out of the PS3 than anyone else. With the exeception of Ridge Racer 7 and Resistance, I have already played most of the launch line-up on the 360. But I decided to go ahead and get a PS3 because I know there will be titles coming this year that I know I'll want.
natelber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 natelber
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
omg......topic *sigh*
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 asmallchild
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
The price was the same for me. Xbox360 $400 + HD-DVD $200 + Wireless adapter $100 = $700 PS3 $600 + HDMI Cable $100 = $700 Yes, I want the ability to play HD movies. And yes, I don't want to run an ethernet cable across my entire home to the console (my router is on the other side of the house) So basically, price went out the window and it came down to system reliability. Granted, it's still early and PS3 breakdowns could be looming. But the large amounts of negative press on the Xbox360 (red rings of death anyone?) spooked me and PS3 was the choice!
psybrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 psybrid
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts
[QUOTE="asmallchild"]The price was the same for me. Xbox360 $400 + HD-DVD $200 + Wireless adapter $100 = $700 PS3 $600 + HDMI Cable $100 = $700 Yes, I want the ability to play HD movies. And yes, I don't want to run an ethernet cable across my entire home to the console (my router is on the other side of the house) So basically, price went out the window and it came down to system reliability. Granted, it's still early and PS3 breakdowns could be looming. But the large amounts of negative press on the Xbox360 (red rings of death anyone?) spooked me and PS3 was the choice!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&style= It doesn't cost $100 for an HDMI cable (assuming you don't need 100ft, but I'm highly doubting your ps3 and tv are 100' apart).
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 asmallchild
Wow Bestbuy screwed me to the wall with my HDMI cable then ;) I think it's only 25 feet long too. Quality seems OK though so I'm inclined to just leave it rather than return it and order a new one online.
trav_have

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#19 trav_have
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts
Yes. Plus, Resistance is kick ass.
trophylocoste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 trophylocoste
Member since 2006 • 8454 Posts
Ps3 is really great and you should get it. People are just waiting to get it later for the games.
arabi_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 arabi_89

I am thinking how would the ps3 be as PC. it would sound crazy but it even could be better than an average PC. Like install linux on the ps3 get a wireless keyboard and mouse :D and u have a pc and alot cheaper right ?.

I mean a good PC that runs gd games needs a good video card that can be around 400-700$ or even more, u'll need a 60 gb hd and 3.2 processor and mouse keyboard, ethernet card (to connect online) also blu ray i donno if u'll see that now. but a pc with these specifications will cost alot.

Get a ps3 gives u the cell processor 60gb hd, blu ray, hd dvd, dvd a gd graphics engine better gaming experience for only 600$.

I mean in this sense isnt it better than a pc in someway price and gaming experience and as a movie player. I donno but correct me if i am wrong.

asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 asmallchild
Good luck using that web browser for anything crucial.
manolobrown2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 manolobrown2
Member since 2004 • 250 Posts
who in their right mind is going to use a PS3 as a pc, I assume most of us has a computer to begin with. I own a ps3 to play games, when the actual game playing will begin thats another story!
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jwat4

I am thinking how would the ps3 be as PC. it would sound crazy but it even could be better than an average PC. Like install linux on the ps3 get a wireless keyboard and mouse :D and u have a pc and alot cheaper right ?.

I mean a good PC that runs gd games needs a good video card that can be around 400-700$ or even more, u'll need a 60 gb hd and 3.2 processor and mouse keyboard, ethernet card (to connect online) also blu ray i donno if u'll see that now. but a pc with these specifications will cost alot.

Get a ps3 gives u the cell processor 60gb hd, blu ray, hd dvd, dvd a gd graphics engine better gaming experience for only 600$.

I mean in this sense isnt it better than a pc in someway price and gaming experience and as a movie player. I donno but correct me if i am wrong.

arabi_89
You cant print from the PS3...as far as I know...that would be a problem...small but a problem...outside of that I guess it could work as a PC...certain applications dont work well with Linux as this is a windows based world...everything lives off of windows...so I dont know...is it possible yes...is it really able to take the place of a PC...In my opinion no
arabi_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 arabi_89

I dont mean that the ps3 will take the place of a pc. mayb ps4. but for now the ps3 has the quality to work as a good pc and a good gaming console a perfect movie player and a good music player.

It seems that the PS3 is worth more than 600$ but unfortunatly not many games r out yet and thats normal cuz the ps3 is not even launched all around the world but i expect it to peek in 2008. that year probably have the biggest library of games. many ppl will be using HDTV so i think it will be the perfect year for PS3 and probably going to do better than the ps2. and by 2008 there will probably be a price drop and the 20 gb version will be out 2 so its gonna be perfect.

jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jwat4

I dont mean that the ps3 will take the place of a pc. mayb ps4. but for now the ps3 has the quality to work as a good pc and a good gaming console a perfect movie player and a good music player.

It seems that the PS3 is worth more than 600$ but unfortunatly not many games r out yet and thats normal cuz the ps3 is not even launched all around the world but i expect it to peek in 2008. that year probably have the biggest library of games. many ppl will be using HDTV so i think it will be the perfect year for PS3 and probably going to do better than the ps2. and by 2008 there will probably be a price drop and the 20 gb version will be out 2 so its gonna be perfect.

arabi_89
Yeah it should be a good year..so far if everything goes as planned I am looking at buying about 20 or so games..and by 2008..I imagine the number of games available will double if not triple...
SumerianDaemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 SumerianDaemon
Member since 2006 • 868 Posts
PS3=the best thing $600 can buy
Jordanaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jordanaire
Member since 2005 • 650 Posts

I'll keep this simple... in one word, YES!

The PS3 is well worth $600.00

knicknut17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29 knicknut17
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts
I am the first of my friends to get a PS3. Whenever my friends come over I let them hold the PS3 in the their hands so they can get a feel for it. As soon as they pick it up, they all exclaim, "Yeah...this is 600 bucks alright....My (other console) feels like a toy in comparison". The PS3 is way more than a gaming machine. You can seriously use it to be the heart of your home theater. If you have an HDTV then the Blu-Ray playback is gravy. If you have a surround sound system that has HDMI inputs, then you'll be blown away by the sound quality that this thing outputs. I have Linux installed on my PS3 and use it to chat with friends and browse the web. With all due respect, the browser on the PS3 OS kind of sucks; especially compared to Firefox. The card slots on my 60GB system allow me to easily transfer music, movies, and pictures to my Treo and PSP. The system will also continue to be updated for many years to come. Anyone with a PSP will know that the amount of features that Sony added AFTER the system was released is almost startling. The features found in version 1.0 are nothing compared to 3.10. I expect the same thing to be the case with the PS3. We're talking about Sony here. We're talking about their flagship product. After the amount of fun I have had with PS One and PS2, I am VERY confident in the success of PS3. The question for me is now, is Halo 3 worth $400?
davez82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 davez82
Member since 2003 • 1864 Posts
yes its worth 600$ , and whats up with the topic.. what does "$600 worth ps3" mean.. then u write it again backwards "ps3 worth $600" wth man... whats up with you.
bubnux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bubnux
Member since 2006 • 1934 Posts

Well worth the sticker price... Once some games come out. By X-mas '07 PS3 will be a good buy.

whodeysay85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 whodeysay85
Member since 2006 • 3237 Posts
It just depends on your opinion.
pdias_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pdias_92
Member since 2006 • 295 Posts
The PS3 is worth 600 dollars because :    1) 60 GB hard drive
                                                            2) Bluetooth and Motion Sensing Controller
                                              3) Blu-Ray ( Full 1080p picture with Dolby Digital Surrond Sound )
                                                            4) Wi-Fi and Extra memory slots
                                                            5) Removable Hard Drive
                                                            6) It's Sony
theshadow1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 theshadow1212
Member since 2004 • 490 Posts

plz read the other 100 postr exactly like this

JoeyDrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JoeyDrey
Member since 2003 • 458 Posts

**** love text messaging"

WHAT SHOW WHAT SHOW!?
lextexrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lextexrex
Member since 2003 • 1311 Posts
PS3: $500
Component Cables for PS2 (which fit on PS3 by the way): $5
Many years of free network and online capabilities: $0

To me, this is cheaper than an 360 in the long run (360 w/XBL).
Though people are saying that XBL is better, it doesn't mean that they will always be.  Someone was complaining about how there isn't a unified friend's list but actually there is.  As of now there are about only 2 games that dont but I'm sure that from now on games will go by the same list.  Background downloading is coming in the next update.
snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 snyper1982
Member since 2004 • 3407 Posts

People are right. The Ps3 is not worth $600...its worth more. People are just complaining now because theirs currently a lack of good games. This is temporary. People claim that the other systems are a better deal...But correct me if im wrong on this...Another hi def console + HDDVD with only a 20gb harddrive is 600. So ok thats pretty close. Now lets take into account the fact that sony makes a reliable product. I rather spend 600 dollars once than 400$ 2 or 3 times. Or maybe 400+130ish for repairs. But thats just me.

My reply "Get a different system if you dont want it because blu-ray is here to stay"

Sedin44
Why do people continually do this? If I were to go by console reliability, Sony would be at the bottom of my list. Maybe I am an exception, but I have a 360, 2 xboxes, a NES, SNES, N64, and a Wii, a PS1, 2, and 3, as well as a Sega Genesis and Sega CD. You know which brand is the only one to have a failure? Sony, with the PS2. That is it. The fact remains that the price of the PS3 looks high compared to the competition. Not everyone cares about Blu-Ray. MOST people don't even own an HDTV. I will say that I believe the PS3 is a better deal, but that is not the question at hand. It does not matter how you spin the numbers, the prices are 299 and 399 for the xbox 360, 249 for the wii, and 499 and 599 for the PS3. All the add-ons for the systems are irrelevant.
Avatar image for NavigatorsGhost
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NavigatorsGhost
Member since 2006 • 6483 Posts
[QUOTE="asmallchild"]Wow Bestbuy screwed me to the wall with my HDMI cable then ;) I think it's only 25 feet long too. Quality seems OK though so I'm inclined to just leave it rather than return it and order a new one online.

yeah, you got screwed on your HDMI cable. That sucks.
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NavigatorsGhost
[QUOTE="Sedin44"]

People are right. The Ps3 is not worth $600...its worth more. People are just complaining now because theirs currently a lack of good games. This is temporary. People claim that the other systems are a better deal...But correct me if im wrong on this...Another hi def console + HDDVD with only a 20gb harddrive is 600. So ok thats pretty close. Now lets take into account the fact that sony makes a reliable product. I rather spend 600 dollars once than 400$ 2 or 3 times. Or maybe 400+130ish for repairs. But thats just me.

snyper1982
Why do people continually do this? If I were to go by console reliability, Sony would be at the bottom of my list. Maybe I am an exception, but I have a 360, 2 xboxes, a NES, SNES, N64, and a Wii, a PS1, 2, and 3, as well as a Sega Genesis and Sega CD. You know which brand is the only one to have a failure? Sony, with the PS2. That is it. The fact remains that the price of the PS3 looks high compared to the competition. Not everyone cares about Blu-Ray. MOST people don't even own an HDTV. I will say that I believe the PS3 is a better deal, but that is not the question at hand. It does not matter how you spin the numbers, the prices are 299 and 399 for the xbox 360, 249 for the wii, and 499 and 599 for the PS3. All the add-ons for the systems are irrelevant.

The add-ons are not irrelevant. It all depends on what features you want. If you want wireless connection for a 360 you have to spend more. If you want it for ps3 you have to buy the 60gb version. If you want HDMI capability you have to pay extra for it on the ps3.

People are forgetting that the systems are meant for 3 different types of gamers.
snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 snyper1982
Uhmm, considering I got half of its price selling my PS 2 without games, so I only paid other 300 and I can STILL play all my games, and upcoming too. Yes its more than worth it. Iget the old games so I can finish them and the new games tookenshinhimura16
Who in the hell was stupid enough to buy a PS2 for $300?
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NavigatorsGhost
I wrote this is another thread.

[QUOTE="NavigatorsGhost"]

The Wii is for kids. The price, game selection, and the whole interactivity of it attracts children and the parents who buy the consoles and games for them. Nintendo won't market itself solely towards 1 demographic because that would be stupid. But that is the Wii's focus and its strength. Why do you think the PS3 got slaughtered in sales this holiday season when compared to the Wii? Its because parents went to Best Buy and saw two consoles. A NINTENDO (brand recognition) machine with a cutting edge device the interactive Wii-mote that sells for $250. And a Sony machine that comes with a $600 dollar price tag. Which one would you buy, if you had no knowledge of games?

The 360 is the all around console. Its for casuals. It has the biggest casual game in Halo 3. Its the most recognizable game. Its like how the N64 had Goldeneye. Not everybody owns a 360 or owned an N64. But chances are that you've played Halo, or back in the day, Goldeneye, at a friends house. Why did it sell so well during the holidays? Because Gears of War has been the hottest next gen game for months, even before it was released. The fact that it lived up to expectations didn't hurt either.

The PS3 is more for adult gamers. The system, its features, and its price are all geared towards older people. This is why blu-ray is integrated into the machine, its one of the latest technologies in the audio/video/multimedia field. Its why it has all sorts of media ports. It has a strong Wi-Fi backing for the same reason, Wi-Fi is the "new" hot thing in terms of getting online. Sony wants the machine to be at the fore front of the multimedia world for the next few years. Would Sony like to be able to produce and sell the system for a lower price? Of course. But at this point, the system costs this much for a reason and its because thats what the technology costs. Is the PS3 going to be a leader in terms of having the best audio/video experience for gaming? I don't know and neither does anybody else.

snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 snyper1982
[QUOTE="snyper1982"][QUOTE="Sedin44"]

NavigatorsGhost

The add-ons are not irrelevant. It all depends on what features you want. If you want wireless connection for a 360 you have to spend more. If you want it for ps3 you have to buy the 60gb version. If you want HDMI capability you have to pay extra for it on the ps3.

People are forgetting that the systems are meant for 3 different types of gamers.

It is completely irrelevant. What about a headset? You have to buy one of those for the PS3. Or What about the irreplaceable battery in the controller? Or how about no HD cables? You can try to spin numbers that way, but then you would have to do it on a person by person basis.... Because this guy may want wireless with no HD Movie player, the next guy may want all the bells and whistles. When you get to the crux of the comparison though, they ALL have one thing in common, if they are buying these systems they will play games on it. That is something they all do out of the box, and it is the company's job to put in that box all the features they believe their machine will need to be able to do that. All these after the fact "price comparisons", while holding merit on an individual basis, are really pointless IMHO.