500GB PS3 automatically shuts down because it's 'too hot'.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

If anyone saw my previous topic, they would no that my old 40GB Fat PS3 died of the YLoD after 6 years of service.

So I recently (a week ago today) purchased a 500GB Super Slim bundled with Assassins Creed 4 and The Last of Us (which I traded in since I already had a copy) and it has been working flawlessly for a week, but last night it started automatically turning off after about 3 minutes of operation, a few seconds before it shuts off, I get a message reading in the top right corner of my screen telling me that the system was too hot, yet it was ice cold, anyway, I let it 'cool' overnight, and when I tried again this morning, the same problem happened. The system is obviously still under warranty from SONY so i'm not too worried.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

maybe the solder has been "stonified", basically, ruined. My PS3's solder had cracked causing it to overheat within seconds. After lots of searching on the internet for fixes or DIY tips I finally tried out the oven method. This was meant for my PS3 fat - and I only wanted it to last for another day so I could transfer all my data to my new PS3.

Basically, you open it [PS3] up, strip it down, and insert the raw motherboard/mainboard, clothed in aluminium foil, into a pre-heated oven. You can get more accurate instructions if you google it. What this process does is that it reliquifies the solder around the heating fan and CPU, causing all cracks or tears to be fixed. Then when it cools back down, the solder becomes solid and a more efficient heat-guide. This actually made my PS3 work again, and I managed to transfer all of my files.

My first option would be to place the PS3 in a cooler place, or atleast a place with more venting. If you have your PS3 placed within a cramped compartment, remove it and have it standing on the floor in the middle of the room.

You can also try to place your PS3 on some supportive items, to raise it from the ground a bit, let it breath more. You could use 5-6 dvds f.ex and place them 3 on each side, supporting the PS3 (propping it up), but remember to leave most of the bottom surface of the PS3 unblocked.

If this doesn't work, try placing it vertically. This helped me when my old PS3 got overheated when playing Battlefield 3.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

@_Judas_: That method doesn't melt the solder. The only way your oven could get hot enough to melt solder would be if you put your motherboard in while the oven was on a clean cycle. Of course, if you did that you would melt the board. What that method does instead is warp your motherboard, which only causes other problems.

To the OP, return your PS3 to the store and get another one. That is why there are return policies, in the off-chance you get a lemon.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

@RossRichard: I'll admit; this is what I thought the oven-process did - liquify the solder, or at least, make it "moldable", causing it to repair fractures, tears and scratches. We opened it up at an Electronics workshop, using all the proper equipment, and inspected the board. We saw the cracks and the fractures, and I pushed for this method. My friend didn't think it would work quote: "How can more heat fix this?". I did it at home, and it worked enough for me to transfer my files [end story].

I actually agree with @RossRichard ; deliever it to the store. My Ps3 was an old, old machine. I did this out of frustration, desperation, and time-saving; I only needed it "alive" for a couple of hours. You have a "brand" new one, so I would advice the same as Mr. Ross Richard.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5  Edited By RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

I exchanged the faulty system for a new one yesterday, but i'm still curious about the issue with the old one, how many others have ever had this issue, when I googled it before making this topic and only found one forum post about the issue.