50% chance that there will be a Last of Us sequel

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I haven't played it yet. But is this a good thing?

Link

First of all Druckmann mentioned that there’s a 50% chance for the team to develop a sequel to The Last of Us. In the same reply he also confirmed that the team working on The Last of Usis separate from the Uncharted team.

If you’re asking about a sequel… right now I’d say it’s 50/50.

He also explained that Sony has complete trust in Naughty Dog, and gives them full freedom in deciding whether to create a sequel or moving on with something else.

Sony has complete trust in us. It’s really up to us to come up with something that will keep the team inspired for the next several years — which is why we don’t take the decision of what we’ll work on next lightly.

Stanley also mentioned that the team didn’t have much time with the PS4 yet, but he’s excited about the additional memory coming with Sony’s new console.

Dunno really – the DLC is on the PS3, so we haven’t gotten a whole lot of time with the “next-next gen” hardware. But I’m excited about having more memory, until we use it all up again!

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

A new IP from TLOU team would be amazing but tbh, a sequel to TLOU would be just as amazing. Whatever those guys are making, I'm buying.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#3 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

More adventures in the post apocalyptic environment would be welcome, but a continuation to the J & E story would be folly. That story is over as far as I'm concerned.

@Nonstop-Madness said:

A new IP from TLOU team would be amazing but tbh, a sequel to TLOU would be just as amazing. Whatever those guys are making, I'm buying.

All the more reason to make an all new IP. ND is on a roll popularity wise, it's a great time to release an all new experience on the next gen machines. A sequel can wait.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

You know what sucks, I'm split between wanting a sequel and not wanting a sequel. Loved the ending so I really hope if they do make a new TLOU it will be like a prequel or have different characters.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

You know what sucks, I'm split between wanting a sequel and not wanting a sequel. Loved the ending so I really hope if they do make a new TLOU it will be like a prequel or have different characters.

That's where I'm at. It's such an excellent game and it would be a shame to not see another one, but then again there's no need to continue the story with the same characters.

So I'm not sure if this is a good thing, but I'll trust whatever Naughty Dog does next whether it be a new IP or a sequel to this game.

wazzawazza18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 wazzawazza18
Member since 2009 • 936 Posts

I thought The Last of Us ending was very open ended and I believe was done in that way to have room for a sequel.

I dont agree with the ending of TLOU and thought they should have ended with either Eliie dieing in surgery therefore curing the disease.

But if a sequel were to to happen i would certainly buy it 100%

Left Behind ending was also very unsatisfieng

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: I haven't played the first one because my PS3 is packed away but I would love to use my PS4 to play the sequel. It was probably one of the best games last year. We need more games like TLOU. Make it happen Naughty Dog.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Last_Ride

@RimacBugatti said:

@The_Last_Ride: I haven't played the first one because my PS3 is packed away but I would love to use my PS4 to play the sequel. It was probably one of the best games last year. We need more games like TLOU. Make it happen Naughty Dog.

Many people don't want it because they want the game to stand on its own

ryrulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By ryrulez
Member since 2008 • 11605 Posts

well yeah. there either will be or there won't. 50/50.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@ryrulez said:

well yeah. there either will be or there won't. 50/50.

But they are at least considering it, that's what is the big deal here

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

I laugh at that, as if the story was THAT great... it wasn't. I certainly hope these 'writers' aren't really taking themselves this seriously. It's just their take on the 'zombie' genre and nothing more. The Last of Us is good but not great, they should just feel lucky people bought it and shut up and make another game without hesitation.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@yixingtpot said:

I laugh at that, as if the story was THAT great... it wasn't. I certainly hope these 'writers' aren't really taking themselves this seriously. It's just their take on the 'zombie' genre and nothing more. The Last of Us is good but not great, they should just feel lucky people bought it and shut up and make another game without hesitation.

A lot of people like that game though

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

As happy as I'd be with a sequel I'd be too scared of it not living up to it's hype. Ahh who am I kidding, Naughty Dog can't f*** anything up.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

They're already doing one sequel to a 7th gen game. And Crash 4 HAHAHAHA I'd say leave TLOU as a standalone game and branch out to something completely different after UC 4.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

I would LOVE a "sequel", but I wouldn't have them name it "The Last of Us II" . I would love to see a game in the same universe, possibly mentioning or naming characters from the first game, but a "direct" sequel... maybe not so much.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

@yixingtpot said:

You're in the minority

I've already said I don't want a sequel to The Last of Us. I don't know how they could top this game. Even the DLC is top notch and often DLC for a game is pretty awful. I think TLoU is one of those games where you just leave it alone and do something else.

Jasbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jasbro
Member since 2010 • 53 Posts

Im surprised so many dont want a continuation of Joel and Ellie's story, i for one want to know what happens after since its pretty obvious Ellie didnt believe Joel in what he said, i'd love to know how things would work out between them since the Firefly were her family for a long time.

I dont mind if it starts directly after the first or is a few years after with Ellie all grown up.

Im also fine with a prequel around were the outbreak first starts.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

I personally think the chances of another TLOU game being made are near enough 100%. The critical acclaim plus decent sales figures (http://www.examiner.com/article/june-npd-the-last-of-us-sales-numbers-revealed) pretty much guarantee it.

If it is to be a "sequel" (meaning a continuation of the Joel and Ellie story), I very much doubt that but it's such a great starting point for so many other stories to branch from. You could have a prequel from the first outbreak or just follow any number of new characters on their journey.

Whichever way I'll be pre ordering the second it's available.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#19 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

I hope so, TLOU is the best game I ever played, only game I had that I didn't want to play because I didn't want it to end. A sequel would be good maybe have Ellie and Joel on the run from the fireflies while Joel tries to keep it secret from Ellie, just one of many possibilities.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 The_Last_Ride

@_Judas_ said:

I would LOVE a "sequel", but I wouldn't have them name it "The Last of Us II" . I would love to see a game in the same universe, possibly mentioning or naming characters from the first game, but a "direct" sequel... maybe not so much.

i think that's a possibility

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#21 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@_Judas_ said:

It would be interesting if they had a different group and it took place during the events when Ellie and Joel were traveling. Or Henry and Sam.

mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mattamomo
Member since 2010 • 929 Posts

If it does not carry on directly after the end of TLoU then great, even better if they do a new story that partially involves Joel and Ellie.

I would like a bit more focus on stealth this time. I think they got it just right in TLoU but the story was so unique they need to change it up a little to get the same level of quality.

I will buy no matter what if they decide to release one.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Last_Ride

@Young_Charter said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@_Judas_ said:

It would be interesting if they had a different group and it took place during the events when Ellie and Joel were traveling. Or Henry and Sam.

Hell why not take a different part of the US or world

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#24 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Young_Charter said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@_Judas_ said:

It would be interesting if they had a different group and it took place during the events when Ellie and Joelwere traveling. Or Henry and Sam.

Hell why not take a different part of the US or world

that would be a damn good idea.