#1 Posted by Kevin_w37 (816 posts) -

Ok Ive had my PS2 (fat version) for about 5 years. Everytime I put in a brand new game it comes out with tiny, but noticable, scratches. Do you think it would be a good idea to get a slim PS2 or should I stay with the fat one? Also, what are the differences (good and bad) between the Slim and the fat PS2s?

Thanks

#2 Posted by macho_c_a (1007 posts) -

if its scratching your discs maybe you should get a slim one. Iv´e had my slim for 2 years now and i´ve had no problems with it. Differnces: with the slim one you can just open the tray and clean the laser if gets dirty, in the fat you have to actually open your console to clean it. Otherwise they´re pretty much the same.

#3 Posted by mohmaaytah (2395 posts) -
The slim one used to have a few problems with overheating due to its small size and a few compatibility issues with dual layer games. As far as I know these have been sorted out and you should be good to go if you get a new slim one, not to mention it is super light now! Looking to get one myself.
#4 Posted by fword1 (1235 posts) -
get a slim version,easier to hook up.
#6 Posted by playstation_wii (5271 posts) -

you have to get a slim one if your gonna get a ps2

they're not selling fats anymore

I don't like slims because of the disk tray and the power brick

#7 Posted by Uzamiki1011 (58 posts) -
Get a slim but keep the old version for a souvenir lol, so if u wanna play online games, its easier cuz all you need is an ethernet cable, but for the old version u need an adapter, thast is like 40 dollars, a Version Update CD, and an ehternet cable

Ok Ive had my PS2 (fat version) for about 5 years. Everytime I put in a brand new game it comes out with tiny, but noticable, scratches. Do you think it would be a good idea to get a slim PS2 or should I stay with the fat one? Also, what are the differences (good and bad) between the Slim and the fat PS2s?

Thanks

Kevin_w37
#8 Posted by paranoiasurviva (13621 posts) -
You'll be fine. If your PS2 is working fine, then you have no need to buy a new one.
#9 Posted by Packt (3380 posts) -

If your PS2 is working fine, then you have no need to buy a new one.paranoiasurviva

Well it's not working fine, it's scratching his discs. I say just get a slim. They're fairly cheap, and it'll last you a while.

#10 Posted by I_PS2_U (96 posts) -

get a slim so you can play online, if you have no intention of playing online get a used fat or try to get teh problem fixed

#11 Posted by Bass7 (6614 posts) -
Yeah my PS2 does that sometimes too. Mines the old one (I think it said hardware version 1.1 or 1.2 or something when I went to the settings?).
#12 Posted by Frylock330 (362 posts) -
I heard that you can plug an ethernet cable to slim to play online.Is that true?
#13 Posted by paranoiasurviva (13621 posts) -

[QUOTE="paranoiasurviva"]If your PS2 is working fine, then you have no need to buy a new one.Packt

Well it's not working fine, it's scratching his discs. I say just get a slim. They're fairly cheap, and it'll last you a while.

Seems to be fine to me. Small scratches don't affect the game.
#14 Posted by NaiKoN9293 (4102 posts) -
either send it in for repairs or get a new one. Ive had my psFat since launch and it hasn't really acted up on me but ill keep a watch from now
#15 Posted by Yng-ePIc (804 posts) -

I heard that you can plug an ethernet cable to slim to play online.Is that true?Frylock330

Yeah, It's true.........But off of that, I think you should get the slim version like everyone else said. It's smaller, lighter, ethernet ready, and that silver color one looks sweet.

#16 Posted by SkinnZero (596 posts) -
The fat one rocks! the slim is so corny ;)
#17 Posted by dberg9292 (125 posts) -
the slim is way more handy. if your going to hang out at a friends house and he doesn't have a PS2 you can just qucikly un plug it and throw it into a small backpack. its so small and light.
#18 Posted by I_AM_AROD______ (718 posts) -
I was thinking of getting a slim myself because I plan on keeping a PS2 for a while (there is such an endless library) and the slim will just look cooler sitting next to future systems. Maybe you should sell your current PS2 on Amazon.com/ebay/etc. for like $60 (say it's in good condition) and the only have to pay like $60 for the upgrade.
#19 Posted by Giff1988 (800 posts) -

I had a simular problem but I tried out my brohters slim and prety much hated everything about it. Get's really hot. I dont like how you take games in and out of the system. So instead I looked online, got instructions to take apart the PS2 and cleaned it out with a can of air. Put it back together and everything is fine. Only problem is I have to take it apart once every two months to clean it and eventually all of that wear and tears going to catch up. But as for now I'm fine with it. Fat till it dies for me.

#20 Posted by trophylocoste (8452 posts) -
You should just keep it
#21 Posted by mohmaaytah (2395 posts) -

Seems to be fine to me. Small scratches don't affect the game.paranoiasurviva

Small scratches may be fine for you but when I buy a game, I dont expect my console to damage it. I would be extremely pissed if some of my games were damaged.

#22 Posted by skip172 (11 posts) -
get a slim . its much better .
#23 Posted by zpxkjp (163 posts) -
Slim looks great but in my experiance it heats up so damn quick which always gets me concerned, but hey theyre both aPS2.
#24 Posted by NSR34GTR (13179 posts) -
my mates slim ps2 overheated
#25 Posted by ace_blitzer06 (218 posts) -
keep it then get a ps3