Is there such a thing as a "picky gamer"?

eliteguard91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 eliteguard91
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

I thought it was interesting due to a comment my friend made.  He said it was like I had a contract with Square-enix and Rockstar.  I thought it just a joke but then I started to look at peoples games and how they seemed to have at least 3 or more games from the same company, so picky gamers do they exist or not?

gotcha455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gotcha455
Member since 2006 • 2611 Posts

Yup. I'm a "picky gamer". I don't play Final Fantasies because it's just not my kind of game. I also don't like my most recent purchase, devil May cry 3, because the fast paced stuff isn't my cup of tea. I plan on trading it to gamestop for manhunt, that game is great. Basically, I appreciate people's opinions, but some games i just don't care to play.

On a side note, do you think Gamestop/EB would give me $5 for DMC 3: Special edition?

strat505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 strat505
Member since 2006 • 1252 Posts

im pretty picky, i read reviews and get peoples opinions like crazy before i buy a game. 

on that side note, no, i highly doubt they'll give u DMC 3 for $5.  unless its been used a LOT, u won't get that cheap

dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts
Sure. I'm one of them.
I like the Shin Megami Tensei series, but I didn't buy SMT: Devil Summoner, because I didn't like it's gameplay.

I just hope Persona 3 wouldn't commit the same errors as SMT: Devil Summoner. 8)
gotcha455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gotcha455
Member since 2006 • 2611 Posts

on that side note, no, i highly doubt they'll give u DMC 3 for $5.  unless its been used a LOT, u won't get that cheap

strat505

did you even read my post...

tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts
Well, you must be a "picky gamer" in a way. Just imagine if you bought any game you found. Not everyone likes the same thing so.
Avatar image for The_Dark_Jester
The_Dark_Jester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 The_Dark_Jester
Member since 2003 • 1649 Posts
Well sure there is a such thing as a picky gamer. Some games are just not meant for everyone. I mean I for one don't do survival horror games, just don't like them, yet I love horror movies... how odd...
soulsdeparting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 soulsdeparting
Member since 2006 • 1537 Posts
i dont like racing or sports games, and i cant stand GTa or GTA clones, usually.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 animateria
Member since 2006 • 620 Posts

Most of the posts are Personal Preferences...

Not much of a Picky Gamer description...

That said I can go either way... I'm usually picky... reading several reviews... comparing with other games... prices...  whether its worth the time I have in hand...  length of game... satisfying art style... pace... difficulty... genre... I didn't touch many great games just because it may not fit just one of those categories...

BUT I'm not afraid to throw my money at stuff that seem interesting too... I pre-ordered Guitar Hero way before it was shipping getting people pity my stupidity to waste money on expensive junk (Well I got the last laugh!) 

I would buy games with bad ratings just because it peaked my interest (TXRD 1 and 2 for example.. Can't they just call it Kaido Battle? It wouldn't sound as dumb...) 

Oni_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Oni_Matt
Member since 2005 • 706 Posts
There are such things as picky gamers, but i wouldnt consider myself to be one.
Broken56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Broken56
Member since 2003 • 249 Posts

I'm pretty picky. I refuse to play sports games.
"Hey man, wanna play Madden 2055?"
"Go die somewhere."
Yeah, that's the usual response. I also don't play FPS because... well, I suck at them. I'm not as quick as others, and I really don't like getting aggrivated.

So what do I play? RPGs, adventure, fighting and music games. Preferrably by Capcom, Konami or Atlus. SCEA gets my vote every once in a while.

Pythos77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pythos77
Member since 2005 • 889 Posts

That would be me......for example I loved GTA SA but i couldnt play GTA Vice City for more than a few hours I ended up taking it back to the store.....Ill play most Types of games but not every game....some of them just dont work for me.I would be prone to buy something from the same publisher/developer Rockstar for example all the titles i own from them are great....

But for me to like a game It has to have a certain feel or look to it,

XheavensmileX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XheavensmileX
Member since 2007 • 867 Posts
I`d play any game as long as its good or Im interested in the subject of the game.
jericoY2J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jericoY2J
Member since 2006 • 1688 Posts
i'mma very picky gamer so today I was gonna get God of war(kinda late to the party) and resident evil 4 and they didin't have resident evil 4 used do I got final fantasy 12 because I'mma gonna get my PS2 from a friend for $50. cherry
Abby88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 Abby88
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

Liking certain types/series of games doesn't make you picky; everyone does that. I love RPGs and music games, hate sports games and most FPS (because I suck at them). It's just personal preference.

There are people that are just too damn picky, though. A friend of mine was complaining the other day about how in Symphony of the Night, your basic attack always looks the same...now THAT's pickiness. 

ricothehat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ricothehat
Member since 2006 • 404 Posts
Sure there are picky gamers.  You mentioned that people tend to have at least three games from the same company, which makes sense because if you've found yourself enjoying one game from a publisher, you're quite likely to pick up another title from the same folks.  Then, should this second game also entertain, you'd head out and get another.  In fact, even if the second isn't so great, you might buy a third hoping that it was the second game that was the fluke, and not the first.  People wouldn't read reviews and such if they weren't picky to some degree, we're all just looking for the type of game that we like and the odds are on that we'll find more of the same dished out repeatedly by any given company.
Sprigain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Sprigain
Member since 2006 • 3575 Posts
well yea i think there is such thing i would think that most gamers are picky gamers
super_police

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 super_police
Member since 2003 • 884 Posts
If I could afford to, I would own every game system and every game available for each system.   As well as a few arcade machines.   and pinball.   and a lot more besides really.   So I guess im not picky at all.  Obviously I do have my preferences, and some games that I would then own, I would rarely/never use.  
angelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 angelic
Member since 2003 • 435 Posts

I'm not really that picky, but I do have some bracket genres when picking games. I always pick games with higher reviews, and I pick games which are really different such as Katamari. I'm not really into sports games.

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts
I only buy one game every two weeks where a game usually only lasts 4 days im gona be darn sure its a enjoyable one.

Rest of those 10 days is done reading reviews and youtube clips for the next game :P
opima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 opima
Member since 2004 • 361 Posts

i know i am, for sure.  i hate online games with a passion that knows no bounds.  i mostly stick with RPG games or action/adventure, and i'm really picky with FPS-- some of them can drive me nuts.  i need a game that is long, complex, and difficult.

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts

It's an easy answer.  Fanboys are the most picky of all gamers.

Although I am not a fanboy for any game or company, I am just as picky to play only the "top of the line" quality games.  Games that have all the right elements (Great gameplay and tight controls, complex, cool story, and decent graphics) which results to an enjoyable experience.  I refuse to play games lower than an 8.3 (There are a few exceptions).  I read gaming site reviews and some player reviews and recommendations.  Although I don't rely too heavily on player recommendations because they can get pretty biased about the game they may recommend. 

L8erSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 L8erSquare
Member since 2007 • 2599 Posts
I'm picky too, i don't like to play horrible games.
Rated_25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rated_25
Member since 2006 • 1746 Posts
Picky!?? Of course everybody is a little picky...A decent gamer already knows what he/she likes or dislikes!...
Pumster76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pumster76
Member since 2003 • 227 Posts
Yeah, people develop biases against characters or games that look or sound, at first glance, stupid. I was like that when I was 6 or 7, and I didn't like, of all things, Mega Man! These days, I'm a huge fan of the NES games, and I'm probably one of the best Mega Man 3 players out there. Very odd, indeed, but it proves my point.
Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
yep my sister is one nearly every game in my colletion she says is crap and you should see my games on my profile just to see if she is right.
NuKkU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 NuKkU
Member since 2007 • 16904 Posts
Well, you must be a "picky gamer" in a way. Just imagine if you bought any game you found. Not everyone likes the same thing so.tsduv21
what he said