soulsdeparting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 soulsdeparting
Member since 2006 • 1537 Posts

the thing is, i have thirty games left to buy for the ps2, if there are no more that will come out (yes i made a list).

but i realized that there are too many RPGs on it and i do not have time for all of them. so i wanted to know:

how good is shadow hearts? is it a must-play? or if i do not play it will it be a mistake?

i still have FFXII, xenosaga 1-3 and dragon quest 8 to beat, all of which i really want to play, but these will take up a lote of time, and by the time im done ill probably have my ps3 and be buying games it so... plz answer. thx

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Cerza
Member since 2005 • 1946 Posts
I wouldn't list it as must plays like Xenosaga and Final Fantasy are, but if you are an rpg lover and like the quirky then you owe it to yourself to play through SH.
Avatar image for IsNotInterestes
IsNotInterestes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 IsNotInterestes
Member since 2007 • 1836 Posts

I wouldn't list it as must plays like Xenosaga and Final Fantasy are, but if you are an rpg lover and like the quirky then you owe it to yourself to play through SH.Cerza

Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 are leagues above Xenosaga, and Final Fantasy 1-3 & XII. This person is a liar.

I'd say play through DQ8 first, then buy Shadow Hearts 1 & 2. Shadow Hearts 3 is crap, btw.

Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts
Well that's one good thing about the PS3, you can play old games lol. Honestly I never played the first one, but Covenant rocked, much more than the Xenosaga games and FFXII. I recently picked up the original which is considered to be slightly rare in some circles.
204259106jk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 204259106jk
Member since 2007 • 471 Posts
I played Shadow Hearts 1 and eventually lost interest after completion.
arcSE7EN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 1

#6 arcSE7EN
Member since 2007 • 250 Posts

very good and funny. a must play!

wolfblademusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 wolfblademusic
Member since 2003 • 1047 Posts

Shadow hearts is a must play for the simple fact that it does something different to break the repetition. You actually have to be a wake and competent enough to play it. Definatley not a 24 hours without sleep type of game.

Xenosaga isn't that long 30 hours for the first game, 25 hours for the second game, I don't know about the last game. The second game sucks... so you may not get through all of it. Dragon Quest VIII is like 80 hours and HARD AS HELL. You can spend hours leveling up, be almost full health, and then get ambushed by 5 enemies and all of a sudden you are dead even though you were killing everything else before you were even dealt damage.

I don't like Final Fantasy games much at all... Especially not X I'm excited for XIII though.

arcSE7EN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 1

#8 arcSE7EN
Member since 2007 • 250 Posts

Shadow hearts is a must play for the simple fact that it does something different to break the repetition. You actually have to be a wake and competent enough to play it. Definatley not a 24 hours without sleep type of game.

Xenosaga isn't that long 30 hours for the first game, 25 hours for the second game, I don't know about the last game. The second game sucks... so you may not get through all of it. Dragon Quest VIII is like 80 hours and HARD AS HELL. You can spend hours leveling up, be almost full health, and then get ambushed by 5 enemies and all of a sudden you are dead even though you were killing everything else before you were even dealt damage.

I don't like Final Fantasy games much at all... Especially not X I'm excited for XIII though.

wolfblademusic

true. but NOCTURNE is insane.

The_Great_Samu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Great_Samu
Member since 2006 • 458 Posts

wolfblademusic

So wrong. Shadow Hearts is pretty average. Dragon Quest VIII looks, sounds and plays terrible. And is boring as hell. It's wasn't hard since JRPGs aren't, not even SMT: Nocturne/Lucifer's Call. About Xenosaga trilogy... Episode I was great, Episode II was good but Episode III was just plain awesome. Though nothing beats Valkyrie Profile Silmeria. Valkyrie Profile Silmeria and the Xenosaga trilogy are the greatest PS2 RPGs... can't forget SMT: Digital Devil Saga since those games were great though pretty easy when compared to Nocturne/Lucifer's Call. IMO Shadow Hearts isn't a must play, at least when compared to the likes of Valkyrie Profile Silmeria, Xenosaga trilogy and Digital Devil Saga.

3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts

I'd leave off DQ8 before I left off the three Shadow Hearts games. I loved them for their unique setting, characters, and battle system. Great games that have a dark atmosphere, but never take themselves too seriously.

Don't leave off the Xenosaga's, they're also great and if they aren't on your list, you need to add Suikoden 3 and 5 at least. I also thought 4 was good, but opinions vary widely on this one.

ali_kerem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 ali_kerem
Member since 2003 • 558 Posts

everyone here gives their opinions, different people different opinions, so you may not like our opinions. you should read some reviews that explain more about the game, watch some videos about the game. if these dont help, find someone that has the game or rent it to see it for yourself.

personally i think Shadow Hearts is better than Dragon Quest 8 and Xenosaga Series. i couldnt play more than 1 hour of Xenosaga but i think its still good game, but again not better than Shadow Hearts, in my opinion.

Larr77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Larr77
Member since 2005 • 1251 Posts

Shadow hearts (played 2 and 3) actually string together the jokes. You wont see the one joke about the main character coming on to, well, whoever. But you will see the *ahem* lively shopkeep flirt with the main character ALL the time. Oh, and having bacon disagree with your name for him is odd, but cool.

If you want something different try the shin megami tensi (nocture was mentioned, i believe). Twisted, a touch gross at moments, and a million little tricks. Plus getting Dante from DMC in your party is one of the most awesome things ever.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 Cerza
Member since 2005 • 1946 Posts

[QUOTE="Cerza"]I wouldn't list it as must plays like Xenosaga and Final Fantasy are, but if you are an rpg lover and like the quirky then you owe it to yourself to play through SH.IsNotInterestes

Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 are leagues above Xenosaga, and Final Fantasy 1-3 & XII. This person is a liar.

I'd say play through DQ8 first, then buy Shadow Hearts 1 & 2. Shadow Hearts 3 is crap, btw.

There is no better narrative RPG on the PS2 than Xenosaga, period. There are others that are really, really, really good as well such as Valkrye Profile 2 and Final Fantasy X, but to me Xenosaga left the deepest impression. It really comes down to what you play RPG's for. Do you play for the narrative? Do you play for the character building and combat, or do you play for both? If you play for the combat and customization then you will despise purely narrative driven RPG's, such as Xenosaga, because they are lacking in that area, plain and simple.

My problem with SH was that the games are just quirky and funny. That's all. They never take themselves seariously, and you can't take them seariously because they are so off the wall. If I had to compare SH to anything it would be Earthbound, because they are so similiar in the respect that they just want to be funny, which they are. However, this is also what holds them back and makes them not as memorable, because they never leave a deeper impression like other games such as Xenosaga do. I'm not a liar. I am just giving my opinion and my view on things. So if it differs from yours to bad, deal with, and put your pointer down before it gets chopped off.

Avatar image for garter_windwood
garter_windwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 garter_windwood
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts
Well I can't say on the final fantasy case but yes ALL THE SHADOW HEARTS games are leagues above xenosaga and I suggest you defnitely get them, I have a fairly large collection of rpgs and shadow hearts is definitely towards the front of it. I think i'm pushing near 70 games with 55 or so being rpgs. Shadow Hearts is a must have for any rpger.
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts
Shadow Hearts is one of the best games on ps2. Xenosaga, Dragon Quest 8 may be good games but boring. if you compare them to Shadow Hearts, they are crap