finalfan789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 finalfan789
Member since 2006 • 6514 Posts
Whats your favorite PS2 action RPG?? I want to get one but i don't know where to start. I've already played the KH series.
chazasul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 chazasul
Member since 2003 • 3852 Posts

Star Ocean: 'Till the end of time, hands down.

In my opinion it's better than KH, but that's only because of the whole disney thing.

If you haven't played it, give it a go.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it's made by Square-Enix. So you know you're onto a winner. 

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts
Might want to give Dark Cloud 2 a try.  It is kind of hard to directly compare to anything but the combat is definitely remiscent of action RPGs. Don't expect a deep story or huge challenge or anything though.
all_mint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 all_mint
Member since 2007 • 96 Posts

Kingdom Hearts series...

If there were tales of destiny series in ps2, that would be defenitely my favorite action rpg..

finalfan789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 finalfan789
I'll probably give star ocean a try, i want a good story so Dark Cloud might not be teh way to go
Avatar image for deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a
deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a
Member since 2004 • 1200 Posts
Might want to give Dark Cloud 2 a try. It is kind of hard to directly compare to anything but the combat is definitely remiscent of action RPGs. Don't expect a deep story or huge challenge or anything though.SpaceMoose
Dark Cloud 2 is one of the best games ever made.
Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts

Valkyrie Profile would be the best, then I would go with Star Ocean 3 and finally with Rogue Galaxy

Avatar image for ThisisMurderous
ThisisMurderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#8 ThisisMurderous
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts
Tales of the Abyss(Tales of Symphonia if you happen to have a GameCube) Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria Star Ocean: Til the End of Time Dark Cloud 2
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts
I vote for Valkyrie Profile 2 (one could argue that it is turn based, but it really feels action like), Rogue Galaxy and Shining Force EXA (Gamespot really under-rated this one). I also liked Radiata Stories a lot.
khggame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 khggame
Member since 2005 • 471 Posts

The Kingdom Hearts games are my favourite action RPGs, but since you own those try Dark Cloud 1 & 2

Aztlan_920228

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Aztlan_920228
Member since 2005 • 345 Posts

Kingdom Hearts series...

If there were tales of destiny series in ps2, that would be defenitely my favorite action rpg..

all_mint
There is tales of destiny 2 (not americas TOD2, but atrue sequel to tales of destny) game for ps2 only japan though but there is someone making a translation. And there are tales of the abyss and tales of legendia
juicetino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#12 juicetino
Member since 2005 • 17873 Posts
I gotta say Kingdom Hearts series, though Dark Cloud and Star Ocean 3 are great.
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AtelierFan
[QUOTE="all_mint"]

Kingdom Hearts series...

Aztlan_920228
There is tales of destiny 2 (not americas TOD2, but atrue sequel to tales of destny) game for ps2 only japan though but there is someone making a translation. And there are tales of the abyss and tales of legendia

Sorry to get off topic, but do you mean a publisher in the U.S. is making a translation, or that someone is making a translated FAQ?
finalfan789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 finalfan789

Valkyrie Profile would be the best, then I would go with Star Ocean 3 and finally with Rogue Galaxy

kenshinhimura16
Valkyrie profile?? 1 is for PSP and one is for PS2 right?? I have both PSP and PS2 so i can play both, but which should i play first?? Does it matter?
Grim_Reaper007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Grim_Reaper007
Member since 2003 • 408 Posts
Baulders Gate Dark Alliance 1 or 2
Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
[QUOTE="kenshinhimura16"]

finalfan789

Valkyrie profile?? 1 is for PSP and one is for PS2 right?? I have both PSP and PS2 so i can play both, but which should i play first?? Does it matter?

I was mentioning the PS 2 one, Silmeria. VP 1 or lenneth is for both PSP and PS1. Silmeria is a prequel so you dont need to play Lenneth first. I still havent played Lenneth, Im waiting till I have my PSP. 

Pacman380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pacman380
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Rogue Galaxy
jrnhanie0310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jrnhanie0310
Member since 2006 • 15177 Posts
Star Ocean Till the End of Time and Radiata Stories
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts
I like the KH series.
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AtelierFan
[QUOTE="kenshinhimura16"]

finalfan789

I've played both and from what I remember about the story from VP1, you will basically just see things from a different vantage point depending on which of the two you play first. It doesn't matter which you go through first though, as both plots are -- other than sharing some major characters -- free standing.
_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts
Any action rpg by Level 5. My fave is rogue galaxy
Aztlan_920228

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Aztlan_920228
Member since 2005 • 345 Posts
[QUOTE="Aztlan_920228"][QUOTE="all_mint"]

Kingdom Hearts series...

AtelierFan

Sorry to get off topic, but do you mean a publisher in the U.S. is making a translation, or that someone is making a translated FAQ?

There is already a translated faq. but a fan group is making a translation to the actual game.This is the page

http://www.tales-cless.org/?page=tod2 

rohver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 rohver
Member since 2005 • 11848 Posts
Dark Cloud 2 and rogue Galaxy are the only ARPGs I've played. And I like em both.
Rated_25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rated_25
Member since 2006 • 1746 Posts
Nobody has mentioned FF12...is there a reason for it? :? Cause I think its a great RPG..and allthough Im not a diehard FF-fan I had a blast playing this game.
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts

Wow, am I the only one who hasn't enjoyed Rogue Galaxy?  lol

Well, I have few I like so I'll just list em... Valkyrie Profile 2, Star Ocean, Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Legendia and Radiata Stories.

It's worth noting that I am really looking forward to Odin Sphere, which is an action RPG... Due out May 22nd.  Have a look if you haven't, it looks really good! 

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#26 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
its gotta be either rogue galaxy or tales of symphonia. i couldnt recommend one over the other but both are cheap right now anyway.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#27 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

Nobody has mentioned FF12...is there a reason for it? :? Cause I think its a great RPG..and allthough Im not a diehard FF-fan I had a blast playing this game.Rated_25

because its not an action rpg. they got rid of the turn system but they kept all the strategy. and theres really no action to the new battle system. 

Sargey123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Sargey123
Member since 2005 • 108 Posts
.Hack//GU
ErrorOfRuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ErrorOfRuto
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

Wow, am I the only one who hasn't enjoyed Rogue Galaxy?  lol

Terami

No, I went from liking this game initially, to hating it by the end, to now having mixed feelings about it. It got off to a good start, and there was a lot I liked about the game; but endlessly repeating dungeons and excessive enemy encounters wore out the combat system pretty quick. For most of the battles I would just use my most powerful special ability over and over to plow through them as quickly as possible. I ended up grudgingly completing the game (which gets exponentially more laborious as you progress) because I had already put so many hours into it. I prefer games that challenge my mind, or at least my reflexes, but the only thing RG seemed to challenge was my patience. The weapon synthesis, inventory, and assembly line features showed surprising depth; unfortunately the combat system did not.

All ranting aside though, my favorite action RPG would probably be Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the GBA, which Square will hopefully release for PS2 in North America as well.

ovadose85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ovadose85
Member since 2006 • 505 Posts
I gotta say Kingdom Hearts series, though Dark Cloud and Star Ocean 3 are great.juicetino
i completely agree with you on this . i love those games , especaily dark cloud 1 and kingdom hearts series ( i haven't beat star ocean yet )
azzezino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 azzezino
Member since 2002 • 4570 Posts
Is Okami not considered to be an Action RPG?
ErrorOfRuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ErrorOfRuto
Is Okami not considered to be an Action RPG?azzezino

I think that's considered more of an action adventure game, like the Zelda series.
azzezino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 azzezino
Member since 2002 • 4570 Posts

[QUOTE="azzezino"]Is Okami not considered to be an Action RPG?ErrorOfRuto

I think that's considered more of an action adventure game, like the Zelda series.

What sets apart an action adventure game form an action RPG? What are the differences?

-blue_beret75-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -blue_beret75-
Member since 2007 • 365 Posts
Rogue Galaxy
ErrorOfRuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ErrorOfRuto

What sets apart an action adventure game form an action RPG? What are the differences?

azzezino

That's a good question, and I'm not really sure of an answer, but here's my understanding of the distinctions for what it's worth.

There is certainly a lot of overlap between the genres, and a convincing argument could possibly be made to include Okami as an action rpg, but as I understand it, rpgs are set apart by their heavy basis around statistics and character building.

Rpgs usually involve leading one or more characters on a quest during which they participate in battles and gain levels through experience. The player has the option of developing the character(s) in unique ways by increasing certain statistics or equipping weapons and items. This is usually done through a series of menus displaying character status and progression, with a wide range of options open to the player. Greater emphasis is placed on each player building a unique and customized character, hence the name "role playing game."

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts
[QUOTE="azzezino"]

ErrorOfRuto

That's a good question, and I'm not really sure of an answer, but here's my understanding of the distinctions for what it's worth.

There is certainly a lot of overlap between the genres, and a convincing argument could possibly be made to include Okami as an action rpg, but as I understand it, rpgs are set apart by their heavy basis around statistics and character building.

Rpgs usually involve leading one or more characters on a quest during which they participate in battles and gain levels through experience. The player has the option of developing the character(s) in unique ways by increasing certain statistics or equipping weapons and items. This is usually done through a series of menus displaying character status and progression, with a wide range of options open to the player. Greater emphasis is placed on each player building a unique and customized character, hence the name "role playing game."

A simple answer would be: Does it contain a leveling system?
Simply buying and upgrading your abilityes is not enough to count as an RPG.
Take white atacks for example (white =  normal hits without use of MP etc.) go to a low level zone and if you do considerably more damage then when you just started the game it counts as an RPG.
An adventure would give you more abilitys to work with but not alter your base damage

It has to be noted that not all RPG's are character based, some simply overwhelm you in gear but have the same end-result.