JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
I got this game used for about 17 bucks. I don't know what I was expecting but the graphics and gameplay don't seem to be much upgraded from the first game and it still has camera problems. It also hurts my hand way worse than any game I've played. It takes button mashing to a new level. The story for the game remains the same lame over the top generic "J-bad ass stuff". The way you lose and regain health is kind of annoying. Can you replay any level over and over to keep powering up your character? Its all a bit confusing.
LongshotX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LongshotX2
Member since 2006 • 842 Posts

Button mashing?
HA!

I would love to see you say that when you get later in the game or on Dante Must Die difficulty. 

DeadPhoenix86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 DeadPhoenix86
Member since 2003 • 2001 Posts

i admit the cameras are bad sometimes, but overall the game is very good.
like myself i play this games for around 1 year already and still enjoying so in a matter speaking the game is not overrated !!!

you either hate it or love it.

Ginro3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ginro3
Member since 2004 • 94 Posts
I have to agree with LongshotX2 I don't think its a buttiin masher at all. Especially in Trickster style. This was the most fun I have had in a while with fighting in an action game since GOW and POP. I fully intend to play it again with Dante on a harder mode. I definitely like playing with Dante more than Virgil only cause Virgil is harder for me to use. I haven't quite gotten his special dodge moves down. I prefer Dante's dash to hisdisappear and reappear in the air thing. He looks da*n cool using his swords to shoot though...
DeadPhoenix86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DeadPhoenix86

dante has indeed better style of gameplay but with vergil its easier to beat the game if you get the hang of his darkslayer style he can basicly dodge everything.

if you dont trust me check out my video's on my profile wich will give proof that vergil is overpowert.
but dante has crazier tricks and is more fun to play with.

still i think your right about hurting your finger when playing to long, but everybody should know you can't play a game more then 10 hours on the sameday that's pretty much as insane-_-

SoulSlayer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SoulSlayer_
Member since 2005 • 3426 Posts
Ok, so first off, they never intended to upgrade the graphics nor the gameplay. This game didn't even come out a year after the original, what were you expecting from it? It's the Greatest Hits version with a few extras thrown in. If this game's a button masher, every game's a button masher. See that meter there in the upper right corner? Try to make it say SSStlyish. The storyline may not be one of it's strong points, but people play this for it's gameplay. And people that have played other DMC games will still get something out of the story, because it's a prequel. The way you lose and regain health is annoying? What is that suppose to mean? You lose health by getting hit. You can regain it by going into devil trigger mode, or using a vital star or gold orb. Neither of those should be used to regain health, though. You're not supposed to get hit. That's why the prices keep upping after you buy something from the shop. And yes, you can replay missions for a better ranking and earn red orbs, which you can use to power up your character, in the process. What's so confusing about that? It seems you had no idea what this game is about, and you're playing on easy automatic mode.
DEVILIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DEVILIX
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I actually do think it's overrated, don't get me wrong i love dmc, but i just don't see why capcom couldn't put vergil in the first release instead of releasing him in a seperate ame with a few extra's. I meansure it's just £45 with both dmc3 and se, but still they couldn't of added abit more, and improved somethings.
DeadPhoenix86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DeadPhoenix86

it only cost about 20$ wich is pretty cheap.
the main reasons why they released a special version of the game is because it easier to get into even for the newcommers
and adding the extras like bloody palace and having the change playing with vergil and also features turbo wich boost up the game with 20% and all for a low price is a big deal.

i dont think many people could get into this game because of the high difficulty even on easy it was hard to beat.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JiveT
Dude this game is a button masher from heck. I've played similar games like NG and God of War and I never felt like I got instant carpal tunnel syndrome the way I do on this game. Its all because of the guns and the fact you constantly have to hold onto that lock on button to dodge properly. I'm playing it on normal not automatic or whatever you said.
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Yeah, DMC3 is overrated. The fighting is hard, but part of the reason why is because how limited your combos are with each weapon.

In GOW you have different combos which suit different situations. In DMC you have like 2 combos with each weapon, and they are very similar.

I was seriously dissapointed by the lack of diversity in the fighting. On top of that, the only reason I am stuck in the game is not due to the difficulty of the fighting, but more or less crappy game design.

It is so wrong to expect someone to beat pretty much ALL the bosses you have beaten previously without saving at ALL in between. I literally beat 4 bosses but then got screwed in the end by opera lady who managed to take away 3/4's of my health with a combo and killed me right as I was about to kill her, which is simply ridiculous....

DEVILIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DEVILIX
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I have no problem with the dificulty i like a challenge, just i know what your saying about the combo's they are lacking as for the weapons, the main combat isn't to bad and the style system is kinda cool, except for vergil he has 1 style and i don't really see the point of having hhim as an extra when he has 1 styl and dante has 6, i mean why bother, and i know he kicks ass etc. etc.
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts
It is so wrong to expect someone to beat pretty much ALL the bosses you have beaten previously without saving at ALL in between. I literally beat 4 bosses but then got screwed in the end by opera lady who managed to take away 3/4's of my health with a combo and killed me right as I was about to kill her, which is simply ridiculous.... LostProphetFLCL

Actually all the bosses are designed in a way that you cant "just" beat them if you get past them you pretty much own the heck out of them. The bosses seem hard in the beginning but once you learn theyr moves ya mow em down easily.
- Perhaps you have not noticed but pretty much every atack has a obvious warning motion/sound telling you to take cover. of all bosses the vampire lady probably has the most obvious ones, after that the first vergil encounter.
Just learn these ques and you wont have any trouble.

My first playthrough was on hard (or normal in the original) and i only needed to use one consumable for agni and ruda (wich i also used in theyr first encounter because i got too frustrated with them to learn the encounter)
After i finished that i played some on very hard decided it dident improve the dificulty enough, tryed out DMD mode and got my ass handed so crawled back to very hard :D
Avatar image for Blade_of_Athens
Blade_of_Athens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blade_of_Athens
Member since 2007 • 486 Posts

Yeah, DMC3 is overrated. The fighting is hard, but part of the reason why is because how limited your combos are with each weapon.

In GOW you have different combos which suit different situations. In DMC you have like 2 combos with each weapon, and they are very similar.

I was seriously dissapointed by the lack of diversity in the fighting. On top of that, the only reason I am stuck in the game is not due to the difficulty of the fighting, but more or less crappy game design.

It is so wrong to expect someone to beat pretty much ALL the bosses you have beaten previously without saving at ALL in between. I literally beat 4 bosses but then got screwed in the end by opera lady who managed to take away 3/4's of my health with a combo and killed me right as I was about to kill her, which is simply ridiculous....

LostProphetFLCL

I will quote alex on this one " The Fool don't know what he's talkin' about"

DMC3 has a ton of combos, styles and weapons. He say he is dissapointed with variety, just dumb. You can save inbeetweean levels, you dont have to beat from start to finish. There is something called a SAVE button...

Its not overated, its more than you losers give it credit for. 

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JiveT

DMC3 has a ton of combos, styles and weapons. He say he is dissapointed with variety, just dumb. You can save inbeetweean levels, you dont have to beat from start to finish. There is something called a SAVE button...

No need to be so nasty. Some people think the game is overrated. Calling people fools and losers for their opinion is not only against the TOS its childish.

DeadPhoenix86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DeadPhoenix86

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"] It is so wrong to expect someone to beat pretty much ALL the bosses you have beaten previously without saving at ALL in between. I literally beat 4 bosses but then got screwed in the end by opera lady who managed to take away 3/4's of my health with a combo and killed me right as I was about to kill her, which is simply ridiculous.... hot114

Actually all the bosses are designed in a way that you cant "just" beat them if you get past them you pretty much own the heck out of them. The bosses seem hard in the beginning but once you learn theyr moves ya mow em down easily.
- Perhaps you have not noticed but pretty much every atack has a obvious warning motion/sound telling you to take cover. of all bosses the vampire lady probably has the most obvious ones, after that the first vergil encounter.
Just learn these ques and you wont have any trouble.

My first playthrough was on hard (or normal in the original) and i only needed to use one consumable for agni and ruda (wich i also used in theyr first encounter because i got too frustrated with them to learn the encounter)
After i finished that i played some on very hard decided it dident improve the dificulty enough, tryed out DMD mode and got my ass handed so crawled back to very hard :D

at first it was hard but now i have no probs on easy,normal,hard and very hard but DMD is still the biggest challenge and also very hard to beat xD
like myself i manage to beat the game on DMD with most s ranking and some are SS.

the game is fun when you get the hang of it like cancel attacks.
that's why i played this game for so long to get everything out of it.

just search for some good video's around the DMC3: SE section and you probaly know why it rocks like hell;)

Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
I prefer the older one, Dantes Awakening since its harder. SE felt too easy, almost as easy as DMC 2. And playing with Vergil was such a let down. I though that he would have much cooler stuff but no.
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hot114
I prefer the older one, Dantes Awakening since its harder. SE felt too easy, almost as easy as DMC 2. And playing with Vergil was such a let down. I though that he would have much cooler stuff but no.kenshinhimura16

Actually both games are the same, the just swapped some names around so the regular hard was named very hard etc

Everything else plays EXACTLY the same, save for a very minor tweak to hell pride AI that in most cases isent even noticable
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts
[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

Blade_of_Athens

Wow, good job of making an ass of yourself there man. I never insulted anyone for liking the game, but you just had to be a jerk didn't ya?

And you did absolutely NOTHING to counter my complaints.

There are literally only about 2 combos per weapon, which is pathetic. Good God, in Ninja Gaiden there is at least over 20 combos PER WEAPON, and they are all usefull. Not only that, but you can COUNTER in Gaiden, something of which I have yet to do in DMC3, allthough I have used the Swordmaster setting the whole way through which may be the problem. I haven't bothered to try other styles yet as I wish to finish the game first.

As for the weapons, half of them just plain SUCK. I find myself either using the Rebellion, Agni and Rudra, or sometimes the Beowolf Gauntlets the whole time. As for guns, I have stuck with Ebony and Ivory and that big sniper rifle thing (Forgot the name) the whole time. 

As for the save comment, you are a total idiot for making that comment. In level 18 you HAVE to fight through a FEW of the previous bosses and because of the crappy design of the original (I didn't bother to get SE), you can't do anything to save OR continue if you lose on the 5th boss, which is downright STUPID. I had known all the patterns of the bosses I faced, but because that ONE boss got a lucky hit in at the end which allowed her to combo me, and since she does an INSANE amount of damage, I went from being healthy to dead in an instant, and I literally was one combo away from killing her. 

It is nothing but TERRIBLE game design that led to those issues, and which is why I will not hold my breath for DMC4, seeing as how capcom has shown over the years its tendency to not fix problems (the RE series went for how many years before it got a real makeover?).

dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts
if anything DMC3: SE is under rated, it has by far the deepest/best combat system ever put in a game, and button mashing???:lol: watch this and tell me he was button mashing; http://youtube.com/watch?v=TLhulSKXfhQ
ali_kerem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 ali_kerem
Member since 2003 • 558 Posts

i dont like these kind of topics, but i want to object that DMC is button mashing

i think people dont realize whats button mashing. if you see topics here, people say god of war is button mashing game, just because of killing minatours with grab and others make that game button mashing ? 

button mashing games are kind of games that you hit buttons without thinking strategy or anything, just to kill your enemies. 

if you play dmc like that, sorry but then you dont know how to play it. in dmc there are many combos and you can chain them as you wish to reach SSStylish combo points. if you always use the same sequence, that is your problem, not the game's. 

and DMC's gameplay is very good too. easy to control, clear moves so you can see what are you doing, and fast pace that makes you love killing enemies. in some games you dont see what are you doing, you are just hitting buttons and killing enemies, if you think dmc is like that, i think your eyes are too old. because if you play it like half an hour or so, you see every move clearly and that gives satisfaction, to try different moves, combos.

and i dont understand graphics complaints. maybe i'm too much old school type so i dont care graphics much, but graphics dont help you to play better. instead of graphics people should notice the art, i mean in general not for dmc. though in reality give kids  a game with a great graphics, but a cliche story, they will be like "wooah its super game"...

anyway, dmc3: se is overrated ? if you think without DMC3, like it was the game first released, its underrated. but dmc3 makes dmc3: se lose points because it serves not much from original. but for me, its not overrated, though i can say its underrated because i want to judge it from scratch.

dmc_freak978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dmc_freak978
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
I actually do think it's overrated, don't get me wrong i love dmc, but i just don't see why capcom couldn't put vergil in the first release instead of releasing him in a seperate ame with a few extra's. I meansure it's just £45 with both dmc3 and se, but still they couldn't of added abit more, and improved somethings.DEVILIX

True! very true!
_dangerman_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 _dangerman_
Member since 2005 • 4067 Posts

...also features turbo wich boost up the game with 20% and all for a low price is a big deal.

DeadPhoenix86

In the UK, it costs £20 ($40),

and turbo DOES NOT EXIST! :o 

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hot114
[QUOTE="DeadPhoenix86"]

...also features turbo wich boost up the game with 20% and all for a low price is a big deal.

_dangerman_

In the UK, it costs £20 ($40),

and turbo DOES NOT EXIST! :o 

You are comparing two extremes, America being a cheap country to live in and england  being expensive.
America is cheaper than most countrys because they have low taxes there (any president hoping for a second term would be shooting themselves in the foot by raising taxes.) also they have lower production costs compared to europe because they dont seem to give a rats ass about the polution involved theyr laws on that ground are pretty much non-existant while every other western country tryes theyr best to cut down on polution the biggest perpretador goes his own way.

/rant

DeadPhoenix86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DeadPhoenix86
the Pal version doesn't have turbo mode and i live in Europe as well but i just imported the japanse version that's all to it xD
i actualy got two ps2's pal and *** version:D
MrSuburbia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrSuburbia
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I'm not sure if this was answered before but i'll ask to make sure. I have the original DMC 3 and spent hours upon hours doing all the levels and getting stronger. Then Special Edition comes out, and i wanted to know is. If I bought special edition would the save file from the original DMC still be used in the Special Edition.

-Cheers 

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hot114

I'm not sure if this was answered before but i'll ask to make sure. I have the original DMC 3 and spent hours upon hours doing all the levels and getting stronger. Then Special Edition comes out, and i wanted to know is. If I bought special edition would the save file from the original DMC still be used in the Special Edition.

-Cheers 

MrSuburbia

Nope you wont be able to.
Do keep in mind there is a code to unlock eveything so all you will have to do is play though it once an collect all the orbs to buy abilitys and p your DT/life
DeadPhoenix86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DeadPhoenix86
if your have a DMC3 save you will directly unlock vergil but you will have to restart everything over what you've done so far in previous games xD
Rock-City

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rock-City
Member since 2004 • 1533 Posts
[QUOTE="Blade_of_Athens"][QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

LostProphetFLCL

Wow, good job of making an ass of yourself there man. I never insulted anyone for liking the game, but you just had to be a jerk didn't ya?

And you did absolutely NOTHING to counter my complaints.

There are literally only about 2 combos per weapon, which is pathetic. Good God, in Ninja Gaiden there is at least over 20 combos PER WEAPON, and they are all usefull. Not only that, but you can COUNTER in Gaiden, something of which I have yet to do in DMC3, allthough I have used the Swordmaster setting the whole way through which may be the problem. I haven't bothered to try other styles yet as I wish to finish the game first.

As for the weapons, half of them just plain SUCK. I find myself either using the Rebellion, Agni and Rudra, or sometimes the Beowolf Gauntlets the whole time. As for guns, I have stuck with Ebony and Ivory and that big sniper rifle thing (Forgot the name) the whole time. 

As for the save comment, you are a total idiot for making that comment. In level 18 you HAVE to fight through a FEW of the previous bosses and because of the crappy design of the original (I didn't bother to get SE), you can't do anything to save OR continue if you lose on the 5th boss, which is downright STUPID. I had known all the patterns of the bosses I faced, but because that ONE boss got a lucky hit in at the end which allowed her to combo me, and since she does an INSANE amount of damage, I went from being healthy to dead in an instant, and I literally was one combo away from killing her. 

It is nothing but TERRIBLE game design that led to those issues, and which is why I will not hold my breath for DMC4, seeing as how capcom has shown over the years its tendency to not fix problems (the RE series went for how many years before it got a real makeover?).

Dear noob,

DMC3's deepest combos come from toggling weapons. And there is a ton of combo depth to be mastered in this game. The best combos in the game are done by integrating all four of your equipped weapons in one engagement with an enemy. You using the rebellion's 3 and 5 hitters and mixing it in with ebony and ivory prove how inexperienced you are in this game. This post makes you the noob of the year.

Combo's will look noticeably different when you use different styles, i.e a concentrated weapon toggling combo with the doppleganger style as opposed to a concentrated weapon toggling combo with quicksliver, gunslinger, swordmaster and so on.  Hell, two years ago there were combo vids floating this place regularly.

And are you saying you can't counter in DMC3??? Royal Guard noob......royal guard.

Rock-City

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rock-City
Member since 2004 • 1533 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmHCucZKQ-4

No combo depth huh? Noob...