alch3mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 alch3mist
Member since 2006 • 1162 Posts
Out of all the final fantasy games. FF8 gets the most bashing from everyone. What do yall think about ff8???
dawgpownd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dawgpownd
Member since 2006 • 1550 Posts
i tried like 20 minutes of it 2 days ago.. i got bored.
O_Goncho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 O_Goncho
Member since 2005 • 62 Posts
I'm actually replaying it now after getting a new copy from amazon a few days ago. I'm up to Fisherman's Horizon but I've already sort of lost interest. For me the story, the characters, and the battle system just aren't as engaging as the others.
SoulSlayer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SoulSlayer_
Member since 2005 • 3426 Posts
I think FFIX gets bashed more than FFVIII. I thought FFVIII was playable, but the story and characters didn't really do it for me. I thought the battle system was fine, but the game's very easy if you have a good understanding of the junction system. The thing that bothered me the most about the game were the GF summon scenes. They're so long and there's so little penalty to use them that you want to use them all the time, but you won't because it makes the games 10 times as long.
2deluxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#5 2deluxe
Member since 2005 • 1881 Posts
The best part about VIII is how easily exploitable the game is. You either have no clue how the Junction system works or you do. If you do, this game is a total breeze. The setting is quite nice and the plot is consistently ridiculous and funny. The game got bashed because by that time, hardened FFVII fanboys came about (and are still annoying as ever, it's not that great of a game boys) and expected VIII to be somewhat like VII. Most of these boys also had VII as their de-virginizing game into the world of Japanese number cruching statitical games so nostalgia plays a key.VII isn't a tough act to follow, VIII pwned it like nothing.
O_Goncho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 O_Goncho
Member since 2005 • 62 Posts

I think FFIX gets bashed more than FFVIII. I thought FFVIII was playable, but the story and characters didn't really do it for me. I thought the battle system was fine, but the game's very easy if you have a good understanding of the junction system. The thing that bothered me the most about the game were the GF summon scenes. They're so long and there's so little penalty to use them that you want to use them all the time, but you won't because it makes the games 10 times as long.SoulSlayer_

I agree. I've glided through pretty much every battle so far by having each character select a GF, then turning over to watch some TV for a bit, and then turning back when my pad stops vibrating and hey presto! the battle's over.

I'm actually much fonder of IX than VIII, and X... actually I enjoy it more than VII too.

minou12234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 minou12234
Member since 2004 • 83 Posts
I also agree with the above post but for me I liked the game, I dident mind anything except the GF's did take to long and the button pressing got to me after awhile but other than that I liked the game personally..
nravasi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nravasi
Member since 2005 • 511 Posts
I think the game is excellent, for me it has the best battle system on any FF (along with VI), the draw-junction was perfect, the only thing I minded was that the GF animation was long and unskippable, so that made me not use Eden, for example. But, other than that, the game is awesome.
It seems that VIII and IX are mutually exclusive, those who liked VIII don't like IX (like me), and those who like IX don't like VIII (I'm not saying that there is no one who likes both, but they are the less)
2deluxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#9 2deluxe
Member since 2005 • 1881 Posts
There is a minigame you can play durring the summon sequences to enhance the power of the attack. But, I never needed to use summons as all I did is junction the best magic to my attacks.
SuperSkaJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SuperSkaJoe
Member since 2004 • 5418 Posts
FFVIII is actually my favorite "3D" FF.
Nick-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nick-42
Member since 2006 • 1786 Posts
I loved VIII.
sumarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 sumarr
Member since 2006 • 944 Posts
Got to the end of disc 2 and never looked at it again. Really didn't do anything for me. Plus it also had the most whinny character in game history as a main character.
staindcoldlp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 staindcoldlp
Member since 2004 • 15121 Posts
Personally it's my favorite FF out of all of them. I thought it was truly amazing. Better than FF VII in my opinion.
dvdcsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dvdcsn
Member since 2005 • 237 Posts
I personally thought FFVIII was the third best FF next to FFVII and FFIX. The Junction System was brilliant! I don't really know why so many people bashed it. The story was as great as any FF in my opinion and the music was as great as ever.
dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts
I think the only big problem of this game was the lengthy summoning intros that were unavoidable. But in the end it's a good RPG. 8)
jimmy554

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jimmy554
Member since 2005 • 2748 Posts

Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite game.

game_masta14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 game_masta14
Member since 2005 • 3251 Posts
Out of all the final fantasy games. FF8 gets the most bashing from everyone. What do yall think about ff8???alch3mist
Out of all the Final Fantasy games I've played (I only played 8, 10, and 12) I thought 8 was the best of all of them. It had cool CGI that looked like feature film quality, especially for a PS1 game. The battle system was engaging and difficult to master. I don't know why people complain about the GF cutscenes, I didn't mind them at all since I had to use Boost to raise my attack power. The story was one of the most romantic ones I've ever heard(and I've played FFX). The Squall/Rinoa thing was the best I've heard my whole life. It's just a shame that I never did beat the game, but I always came back for more.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
I didn't like the junction system as it discourages fighting. In order to get the most powerful, you just need to suck the best spells and keep your level (and therefore the opponents' levels) down. Everything else about the game was pretty cool
nywled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 nywled
Member since 2005 • 359 Posts
It may not be one of the best Final Fantasy in the series, but it is STILL one of the greatest games in the RPG genre. :D
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts

I loved VIII. 

VI, VII and VIII remain my top 3, in that order.  Tactics is right up there as well.  As much as I've loved the series thus far, I can't help but feel that FF has declined a little with each new installment.  I hope XIII can bring something refreshing to the series.

trophylocoste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 trophylocoste
Member since 2006 • 8454 Posts
Got to the end of disc 2 and never looked at it again. Really didn't do anything for me. Plus it also had the most whinny character in game history as a main character.sumarr
No have you ver played ffx? FF8 was great tho.
Avatar image for deactivated-60156c31f349f
deactivated-60156c31f349f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-60156c31f349f
Member since 2005 • 2836 Posts
I like the story and characters (not Zell) and everything about the game but I absolutely hate the battle system, it sucks big time and it kinda ruins the game which is kinda sad cause it could have been such a good game
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts
Hmm. FFVIII was up there with my fave. Far better then FFX game play imo.
The_Great_Samu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_Great_Samu
Member since 2006 • 458 Posts
Hmm. FFVIII was up there with my fave. Far better then FFX game play imo.Twin-Blade

Agreed. FFVIII was my favourite FF until FFXII was released. Man did I love that game when it was released. I think I've finished it like 5 times. FFVIII might just be my most played game ever. Those who don't like FFVIII are fools.
ferretzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ferretzor
Member since 2005 • 2792 Posts
I love VIII. One of my fave games of all time -_-
Tnasty11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tnasty11
Member since 2005 • 4497 Posts
I did  and  I say it's better than final fantasy 9
mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 mohmaaytah
Member since 2003 • 2397 Posts
I loved VIII and hated IX. As one poster mentioned, its all about the junction system, master that and you are in for a good game otherwise I can see how it can be very annoying for those who just can't deal with it. The junction system created one of the most versatile battle systems in FF I would love to see a derivative back in some form or another.