Z-fighting in games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheS1l3ntOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheS1l3ntOne
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Hello, I just wanted to ask if anyone else has problem with z-fighting in games? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting Is this normal to have in games or does it indicates hardware malfunction? I changed absolutely every part of my PC (except PC tower and optical drive) and z-fighting still remains. So, is it normal?
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Hello, I just wanted to ask if anyone else has problem with z-fighting in games? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting Is this normal to have in games or does it indicates hardware malfunction? I changed absolutely every part of my PC (except PC tower and optical drive) and z-fighting still remains. So, is it normal?TheS1l3ntOne

It's normal, some games will have a lot while others will have none at all, and it'll be different depending on what videocard you use.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Z-fighting is usually the fault of level designers. After all they are the ones modeling the levels. Either that or its the fault of a bad LOD algorithm. GTA is a good example of this, and BF3.

TheS1l3ntOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheS1l3ntOne
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Tnx mates :)
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

To get rid of Z-fighting you should have non-overlapping polygons or maybe the engine should be coded in such a way to compensate for it. In other words... there's not a whole lot you can do about it.