Your Game of The Year Candidate

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Topic ^

For me it would have to be Half-Life 2: Episode 2. The expectation for this game is absolutely enormous and Valve has rarely let us down. They know how to improve on the first episode and should do so remarkably. Adding to this, is the inclusion of Team Fortress 2 and Portal. It will make for a sensational package. I for one can't wait. Crysis is looking sensational but it has to be more than a tech engine, and there's a very good chance it could be something special.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

You're candidate isn't out yet.  Expectations mean nothing.  You should have waited till your game was out so your arguments have some seblance of merit.

Now you've opened the doors for every other idiot to come on and say "My vote goes for Diablo 3!!!  I know they haven't made it yet but it would so roxxorz!!!!!@!"

(sigh) 

wurn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 wurn
Member since 2004 • 2258 Posts
Very few will agree with me but this is.... TEST DRIVE UNLIMITED! this game does what a game should do. Not stress you out or frighten you or make aggressive, which is fine... but this is just plain and simple FUN
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
Valve has let me down plenty of times. I've lost all interest EP2, they can keep it for all I care.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
BioShock!
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 biggest_loser
Well what's YOUR suggestion then curly?
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 biggest_loser
Could a dark horse take the prize? Like Alan Wake if its released this year. I'm so looking forward to that game.
gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts
dont flame me :( ...stalker! for the greatest enviroment ever
Platearmor_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Platearmor_6
Member since 2004 • 2817 Posts
ST.A.L.K.E.R or TDU like someone above said. But if we could count games coming out later this year then I might change my vote depending on how Crysis is when its released because it looks like it'll bring alot to PCs technically speaking and it might depending on sales make some old PC developers revaluate there standing with just porting games to PC.
edgeofforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 edgeofforever
Member since 2004 • 349 Posts

Topic ^

For me it would have to be Half-Life 2: Episode 2. The expectation for this game is absolutely enormous and Valve has rarely let us down. They know how to improve on the first episode and should do so remarkably. Adding to this, is the inclusion of Team Fortress 2 and Portal. It will make for a sensational package. I for one can't wait. Crysis is looking sensational but it has to be more than a tech engine, and there's a very good chance it could be something special.

biggest_loser

Haha, man this is a stupid post.

Oh yeah, Game of The Year, so far there haven't been any games that have blown me away, I'll have to see what games are released later this year.

Terrorantula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 Terrorantula
Member since 2007 • 1795 Posts

Most the games for PC that i woulda have said have been delayed and can't really say anything incase even more get delayed till 2008 lol. Games like Stalker have been a complete let down too so i don't really wanna put faith and hype even more games to be letdown. It seems to me games i didn't hype and don't know they exist until release have been much better than games i've been waiting ages for.

So far nothing has been released that was much good...

I'm thinking:

- Crysis (Not sure cause i've hyped it soo much i'm sure i'll be let down into being a"another standard FPS with good graphics)
- Bioshock (looks too plastic though)
- Warhammer Online (Hopefully at release it wont just be DAOC2)
- Quake Wars
- Left4dead
- Unreal tournament 3
- HL2 EP2

Games I'm not hyping much but hope they suprise me:

- HellGate: London
- TombRaider 10th anni
- Hospital tycoon
- Pirates of the Burning sea
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Games Delayed till 2008:

- Spore
- Alan Wake

Letesmetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Letesmetty
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts
I have a feeling Left4Dead and Bioshock probably won't be too great - nor will Quake Wars. It's going to be somewhere between Crysis, HL2 EP2, or UT3. Also, what'd be wrong with a DAOC2? We'll be lucky if Warhammer is even half as good.
Terrorantula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 Terrorantula
Member since 2007 • 1795 Posts

I have a feeling Left4Dead and Bioshock probably won't be too great - nor will Quake Wars. It's going to be somewhere between Crysis, HL2 EP2, or UT3. Also, what'd be wrong with a DAOC2? We'll be lucky if Warhammer is even half as good.Letesmetty

Cause i'm bored of the current mmorpg, it's sooo boring now. I wish they'd come up with something different like SWG did but without being ruined by Luca Arts and SOE.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#14 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Episode 2 won't get it because it's an episode and the stigma associated with a 4 hours episode comes with it. Quake Wars probably won't get it, it will be a good game but nothing overally fantastic UT3 will just be more of the same with prettier graphics, good but not GOTY material. Crysis has the potential to do really well but I think it's expectations at the moment are astronomical, good thing for sales but if it somehow manages to live up to those expectations then it's GOTY. I personally think Spore will probably win. Firstly it will be rather revolutionary and game press will love that aspect, because it's a simulation game the public should adore it which will help reader GOTY awards.
hypnotoad8128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 hypnotoad8128
Member since 2007 • 474 Posts
Too early in the year. Not many good games have been released and there haven't been any great ones so far.
Liliroots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Liliroots
Member since 2004 • 1411 Posts
For PC, I think it would be something like Crysis if it's coming out this year. For consoles it might be GTA. Maybe UTIII.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts
last time i checked the date, which is just now....it's only April. :shock:
AsHeavenIsWide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 AsHeavenIsWide
Member since 2007 • 247 Posts

supreme commander so far.

the tenth anniversary of tomby will be good as it will bring back memmories.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

I have a feeling Left4Dead and Bioshock probably won't be too great - nor will Quake Wars. It's going to be somewhere between Crysis, HL2 EP2, or UT3. Also, what'd be wrong with a DAOC2? We'll be lucky if Warhammer is even half as good.Letesmetty

I agree, Bioshock and Quake Wars are going to be so consolized that it wont be what us PC gamers want (Bioshock = as stupid and boring as Deus Ex 2 anyone?).

Crysis or UT3 are definately going to be taking it: both are popular franchises with a good history (perhaps the most important component for Gamespot), are going to be beautiful (another important thing for Gamespot), and should have solid, albeit vanilla, gameplay.  Those three components are all a GOTY from Gamespot needs.

alfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 alfe
Member since 2005 • 137 Posts

im waiting for Crysis, so i cant judge My Game of The Year for now....

dar_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 dar_
Member since 2003 • 8762 Posts

Duke Nukem Forever.

:| 

raduneo88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 raduneo88
Member since 2004 • 29 Posts

Unreal Tournament 3 all the way for me. Somebody here said that it will be more of the same. Well, I kinda have to disagree on that. The last UT (namely UT2004) had some issues, but Epic are working hard to fix them, issues such as player scalability, the lightning on the player skins, floatiness,cohesiveness (like in ut2004mixing humans, egyptians, aliens, spiked-hair weird dudes, robots seems a bit random)

Also, now there are much fewer gametypes, in order to encourage the community to be more"united", and not so spread out between the 12 different gametypes. Battles feel much more personal and intense because of the reduced floatiness, and removal of some of the weird movement combinations.

Another thing is that Epic first creates the map, and tests it out over and over to ensure for optimal balance and gameplay, and they add the art only after. They described the process in an interview. Other than that, the maps are part of the same world, so for example from one map you can see parts of another map if you look on the other side of the futuristic cities, they are all tied in, connected and they make sense.

They really tried to get back to the roots of UT99 in many ways, such as better gore, darker feel, sounds and names reminiscient of the old UT, the return of the ability to lob grenades with the rocket launcher, feign death, more map hasards, etc.

Not only that but the AI is top notch, it actually has a chance to miss, and not based on a random balue in angle, but as in they fire at you in the plae that you were at, while you're moving, and the projectile misses you, similar to a human being. Bots even respond to voice chat, they have their own personalities, and you can even give them complex orders such as "Is there anyone in the valley" Bot says "No, coast is clear".

Plus, Epic games even added a campaign this time around, an actual campaign with missions and a Necris invasion taking place at some point throughout the game.

And about Onslought, now it's called Warfare, there are more complex objectives and side-missions, there are the vehicles seen in UT 2004  (but many are changed quite a bit), as well as Necris vehicles, which add a new dimension to the game! And when you're not in a vehicle, you can use the hoverboard to get across the map, catch is that you can't use any weapon when using that little piece of machinery.

And I needn't say that the game uses Unreal Engine 3, which is pretty self explanatory...

Those of you saying that this will be more of the same, oh you're in for a big surprise!! And yes call me a fanboy, but fact is I'm not making up anything that I said. Most of that info can be found on the Epic Games forums and beyondunreal.com 

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#23 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
if DNF comes out, that will be the best game in a decade. If not, it's a toss-up betwixt C&C3 and STALKER; probably STALKER because it's the most original RPG/FPS hybrid I've ever played.
A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts

bioshock

if it's even half as good as system shock 2, it's already won - and the more i read about it, the more i find myself thinking it'll be a lot better than half as good as system shock 2

there's also hellgate and crysis and ut3 and quake wars and huxley and many other games that are portraying astounding innovation, technology or just good old fashioned awesome traditional gameplay - 2006 was a complete one horse race, but 2007 is looking very colourful indeed - i'm happy it'll be bioshock, but it's not gonna be an easy call

Irate_Hobbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 Irate_Hobbit
Member since 2006 • 106 Posts

At this point? Some great 8.0-9.0 games so far this year, that is it. No real GOTY candidates yet IMO.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
Pretty hard question overall, I don't expect Alan Wake to be out until next year, I say Spore if it is released this year is tops, I am really looking foward to HGL and the Wicther also, But imo it would be Spore, Bioshock or Crysis for the PC that gets it.