This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for silversurfergold
silversurfergold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 silversurfergold
Member since 2004 • 476 Posts

I upgraded my computer recently to core 2 quad 8400, 4gb ddr2 ram, gtx 570 1280mb...But new games don't seem to run like I was expecting with my new gtx 570. I am on windows xp, and can't get windows 7 right now. I do have a copy of Windows Vista, but I had it at launch and hated it, but time has passed and I'm wondering would Vista help my games run better vs xp, and is it a good idea to abondon xp for vista in general?

metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 metacritical
Member since 2008 • 2537 Posts
as long as vista is the 64 bit version.
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

I upgraded my computer recently to core 2 quad 8400, 4gb ddr2 ram, gtx 570 1280mb...But new games don't seem to run like I was expecting with my new gtx 570. I am on windows xp, and can't get windows 7 right now. I do have a copy of Windows Vista, but I had it at launch and hated it, but time has passed and I'm wondering would Vista help my games run better vs xp, and is it a good idea to abondon xp for vista in general?

silversurfergold

Vista could improve your gaming experience, but only when you install the 64-bits version to be able to use the full 4GB RAM... Honestly, I'd wait until you can install Windows 7.

mucgoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mucgoo
Member since 2010 • 317 Posts
Vista v xp for games the only difference is xp can only use up to 3.5gb of RAM, while 64 bit vista/7 can use much more. Your performance problems are due to a slow,old CPU. Is this PC a of the shelf which you added a 570 into or just an ageing custom build?
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Is your CPU running at stock speeds?

What PSU (power supply- make and model) does it have?

Running a GTX 570 in XP is a waste. Run it with Vista or Win7 so you can use DX10 and DX11 like the card was meant to be used. :P

silversurfergold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 silversurfergold

Well was aging, I bought a new cpu, which was that quad core 2.66 to replace my very old dual core, and i bought a gtx 570 to replace my 8800gts 320mb, and I'd like windows 7, but can't spend money on it right now, but I'm hoping vista would be better then xp by now

silversurfergold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silversurfergold
My cpu is running at stock, motherboard lets me overclock, and I was thinking of doing it, but wanted to wait till I got something better then stock fan, the power supply is 700watts coolmax 120mm fan(I can't remember model number bought off newegg.ca, one of the better reviewed ones) and I would install vista as 64 bit
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JimmyJumpy

Vista v xp for games the only difference is xp can only use up to 3.5gb of RAM, while 64 bit vista/7 can use much more. Your performance problems are due to a slow,old CPU. Is this PC a of the shelf which you added a 570 into or just an ageing custom build?mucgoo

Under any 32-bits operating system, the total possible memory to be used is 4GB. That includes the work RAM, the video RAM and a portion of the virual memory space reserved by the OS on the largest hard drive you have.

So quit saying that you can't use more than this or that amount, because it is not true. 4GB is the limit.

To the OP: like said before, Vista will only be an improvement over XP when that Vista is 64-bits... Otherwise, wait til you can buy Windows 7 (with Win7, both 32- and 64-bits version are on the DVD).

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Vista v xp for games the only difference is xp can only use up to 3.5gb of RAM, while 64 bit vista/7 can use much more. Your performance problems are due to a slow,old CPU. Is this PC a of the shelf which you added a 570 into or just an ageing custom build?mucgoo

a core 2 quad is still plenty of power for gaming.. i have one (the same one as him actually) and have no porblems playing any game i want on highest no aa or af at 1680 x 1200 or lower (gpu is hd 5830)

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

I say go ahead and use it to get dx10/dx11 features.

silversurfergold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silversurfergold

Yea I thought my cpu wasn't aging, as I can run crysis right now at high settings (1920x1080p I'm guessing around 30 frames per second at high settings, I don't notice the game being choppy), but I can't get windows 7 right now, but I just wanna know if Vista is better then xp for gaming and overall

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Yea I thought my cpu wasn't aging, as I can run crysis right now at high settings (1920x1080p I'm guessing around 30 frames per second at high settings, I don't notice the game being choppy), but I can't get windows 7 right now, but I just wanna know if Vista is better then xp for gaming and overall

silversurfergold

overall now.. xp is still better but support is all but gone for XP

its more of consumers being driven out of xp rather than them abandoning it. we probably wont see a big move to a new OS until later this year when windows 8 arrives

that being said dx11 wont be moving up to dx12 with the new OS it wont be here for another year or two.

so yeah expect another year of dx11/10

i recommend vista as its alot better than release now.. its still not perfect but its significantly better. you would also be impenetrabkle to rootkits then which is a significant security improvement

silversurfergold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 silversurfergold

Bad news.... I found out my copy of windows vista is only 32 bit (im running xp 32 bit) is it still worthwhile upgrading?

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JimmyJumpy

Bad news.... I found out my copy of windows vista is only 32 bit (im running xp 32 bit) is it still worthwhile upgrading?

silversurfergold

Nah. I'd wait til the piggy bank has enough for Windows 7...

silversurfergold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 silversurfergold

That sucks lol

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#16 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Your CPU is good enough even at stock speeds and considering what you upgraded from there is no way that you wouldnt "notice" a difference. You said you can run crysis in high in 1080p without any choopiness, what else were you expecting it to do? With that card you can go very high as well pretty easily.

The one serious problem could be that your GPU has 1280MB RAM and that leaves about 2.7 GB for the system, that could be a problem.

64-bit is the only way to go but that doesnt mean you should have crappy performance in XP cuz if you do then something is wrong.

acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 acsam12304
Member since 2005 • 3387 Posts

[QUOTE="silversurfergold"]

ionusX

its more of consumers being driven out of xp rather than them abandoning it. we probably wont see a big move to a new OS until later this year when windows 8 arrives

that being said dx11 wont be moving up to dx12 with the new OS it wont be here for another year or two.

i recommend vista as its alot better than release now.. its still not perfect but its significantly better. you would also be impenetrabkle to rootkits then which is a significant security improvement

wait, wait, wait. Windows 8? i just got Windows 7 last year what difference will 8 offer then 7?

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="silversurfergold"]

acsam12304

wait, wait, wait. Windows 8? i just got Windows 7 last year what difference will 8 offer then 7?

Windows 7 is only just over a year old, there is no way that a new windows will come in 2011.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

[QUOTE="acsam12304"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

Gambler_3

Windows 7 is only just over a year old, there is no way that a new windows will come in 2011.

It's slated for next year.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="acsam12304"]

Phoenix534

It's slated for next year.

Next year = 2012....

In oct 2012 windows 7 will be 3 years old so yes it will most certainly come in 2012 but not before ATLEAST summer 2012.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Gosh Im tired of Windows 7 already, I need an interface facelift. Bring on Windows 8 beta; the sooner, the better.

eBusiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 eBusiness
Member since 2009 • 405 Posts

Gosh Im tired of Windows 7 already, I need an interface facelift. Bring on Windows 8 beta; the sooner, the better.

Bikouchu35

Please, tell me you are trolling. You wouldn't upgrade to Windows 8 simply because of the new bling they are undoubtedly going to add and advertise?